Shion8

BUCK-TICK

10 minutes ago, karai · ebi said:

Just like THE IMMORTAL live, addressing the audience almost entirely in English making an atmosphere of a real punk-goth live.

Fair enough, I can see your point. :) 

@crossparallel NOPE, haha (it's not bad tho).

I honestly fell in love with BUCK-TICK after I heard the song Dress from Trinity Blood. My friend Ku is super into them, and loves them a lot, but I haven't liked them very long. However, I adore Atsushi, I think his voice is super unique and his stage presence is wonderful. 

My second song that REALLY got me into them was "Alice In Wonder Underground." The video made me go WTF the first time, but now I absolutely love it haha.

16 hours ago, Paraph said:

Falling in love all over again.

I love it when Imai uses his MIDI effects! I wish he did it more often or wrote more compositions that utilize them, it always makes the songs that much more interesting (like the eerie 'bells' in Taiyou ni korosareta or the synth lines in Chikashitsu no Melody).

@RaeDesu Dress is a good gateway drug to B-T! :D I remember when Trinity Blood aired, it was a good time to be a B-T fan, new or old, especially how "13kai wa gekkou" just dropped so the #goth was eeeverything. Alice is a really fun song too! I like how it references Diabolo from the "13kai..." album in the beginning and with Imai's quirky little verse.

Pretty cool day today!

It's bassist Higuchi Yutaka's 52nd birthday, and 29 years ago on this day the band's single "Aku no hana" was released! What makes it extra special is that the B-side "UNDER THE MOON LIGHT" (which is exclusive to this single, not appearing on the later album) has writing credits from U-ta, penning the lyrics. This makes this track the only one in B-T's history where U-ta contributed writing something. It's a fun little song but personally I'm not too crazy about it. I'd link it but no one has uploaded it on YT (awww :P ).

tumblr_ly685y22IB1qgl8kjo1_500.gif

Edited by Jigsaw9

1 hour ago, Jigsaw9 said:

Pretty cool day today!

It's bassist Higuchi Yutaka's 52nd birthday, and 19 years ago on this day the band's single "Aku no hana" was released! What makes it extra special is that the B-side "UNDER THE MOON LIGHT" (which is exclusive to this single, not appearing on the later album) has writing credits from U-ta, penning the lyrics. This makes this track the only one in B-T's history where U-ta contributed writing something. It's a fun little song but personally I'm not too crazy about it. I'd link it but no one has uploaded it on YT (awww :P ).

tumblr_ly685y22IB1qgl8kjo1_500.gif

Aku no Hana was released in 1990, 29 years ago. Time to feel old. 

Today's another 29th anniversary: on 1st February 1990 the album "Aku no hana" was released. ♥

The band also released a corresponding video album shortly afterwards, possibly making B-T the first VK (or VK-adjacent) band to produce music videos for every song of their album (?). Not sure about this part, but I can't recall any other groups doing this in the late '80s / early '90s, until Dir en grey did it with "GAUZE". B-T later did it again in 1996 for their "Six/Nine" album.

Any favorite songs and/or videos from this era? Personally the title track is an eternal favorite of mine, and video-wise "SABBAT" comes to mind as one of the moodiest and creepiest B-T PVs, complete with eerie castle, occult séance scenes and a doll that scared the hell out of me once when I was watching the vid at a high volume, lmao (skip to 03:08-ish here :D ).

I've been hella sleeping on this band since I got into visual kei. I'm trying to change it, though. For a few years now, I've had some of their newer albums sitting on my hard drive, but never really listened to them. I've previewed them, it's why I downloaded them, but I just never made them a priority. And despite all of that, I just had to go on a download spree and get MORE. And now I have CATALOGUE 87-99 ('cause I'm not sure if I'll like their early sound) and every album released since 2000. So now I'm trying to think of how I want to go into this, because there is so much here.

I previewed some tracks from albums since 13階は月光. I'm kinda digging what I hear. The only album I'm not so sure of is "memento mori;" I previewed songs off that album and it kinda gave "dad rock" vibes, which I'm not into.

Of course I would download 11 albums and a 40+ song compilation from a band of which I've only heard three songs in full. Of course.

59 minutes ago, Seimeisen said:

Of course I would download 11 albums and a 40+ song compilation from a band of which I've only heard three songs in full. Of course.

It can be quite intimidating, yeah. :D 

If this helps, here's a little breakdown of their post-2000 albums so you can get a general feel:

- ONE LIFE, ONE DEATH (2000): dads discover science fiction

- 極東 I LOVE YOU (2002): dads discover science fiction but with layers*

- MONA LISA OVERDRIVE (2003): dads discover cyberpunk*

- 十三階は月光 (2005): dads dress up for Halloween and drink a bit too much but it goes much better than expected

- 天使のリボルバー (2007): dads being dads

- memento mori (2009): dads being dads but more rad, how do you do, fellow kids?

- RAZZLE DAZZLE (2010): dads stumble into a disco, drink a bit too much but this time it does not go well

- 夢見る宇宙 (2012): dads being dads who took their medication

- 或いはアナーキー (2014): dads could not find their medication... hilarious results!

- アトム未来派 No. 9 (2016): I could not find the dads but this background music is kinda okay

- No. 0 (2018): dads have become cyborgs, I have become a dad while listening, feels weird man

* originally these two albums were imagined by the band as one concept double-album

My personal recommendations would be MONA LISA OVERDRIVE, 十三階は月光 and 或いはアナーキー btw.

On 10/7/2018 at 7:58 AM, Jigsaw9 said:

So even though the last two albums left me a bit cold, I'm still looking forward to whatever they have in store next!

I really thought i was the only one who felt this way about the last two albums. I really want to enjoy a newer album like i did Arui Wa Anarchy. 

I need to delve more into their older albums besides the batch that i have. Apparently I'm missing a lot. 

@Jigsaw9 that's hilariously spot on.

Except! As someone who loves Atom Miraiha No. 9 - it has become my second favorite album of theirs after Six/Nine! - it pains me to see it not get the adoration it deserves. Granted, it is a bit weird and even cringy at times (the "I don't know if I should be impressed how they do that with a straight face" kind). There's also the aspect where the music very deliberately references recognizable sounds and moods - but not without its unique twist on them! I think the title is a key to the method, a future built from fragments of the familiar and nostalgic. But once you embrace the album, there is nothing like it. So let me be super self-indulgent and do a track by track of why it rocks. 

cum uh sol nu - This is halfway a grandiose incantation about immortality that would be at home at any old sci-fi or fantasy film with bad effects, but also personally the chorus gives me the image of a lone drunk rambling ("I'll never die, ha!"). Is it a flask of alcohol or the alchemist's flask with the homunculus inside (unscramble the title)? Keep the theme of creating humans in mind, because next comes...

PINOA ICCHIO - The superior love song for the age of AI. Listen to Imai having so much fun on the guitar! It's the combination of danger and exhilaration (to the point of madness or system breakdown) that I love.

Devil's WIngs - It really gives the feeling of flying, falling apart into sensations and coming together again. Also if you read the lyrics, the juxtapoition of the standard gothic imagery of souls and devils with the cells multiplying is cool.

El Dorado - This, this is my favorite! The melody inexorably pulling you forward, and one the most vivid Sakurai performances ever as the drunk "alchemist", in Mexico at that.

Bi NEO Universe - Eh, I'm not so big on this one. "aishiaVODKA"  is iconic though.

BOY septem peccata mortalia - This one is pretty funny with the whining ("Why is it wrong?") and the tantrum at the song climax. Also the vehiment denial of telling lies always reminded me of Pinocchio (given the second song's title), so I always imagine this song as his journey through the Land of Toys, only a not-quite-PG-13 version of it.

Jukai - I'm not sure this even works without the imagery of the lyrics in mind, but they come together with the music to form a terribly vivid sensual impression. Sakurai tying love and death is nothing new, but never has it been quite this chilling.

THE SEASIDE STORY - There they go again with the tonal whiplash. Now excuse me but I LOVE THIS. I'm just unreasonably happy with the idea of Sakurai singing a song from the point of view of the little mermaid reimagined as a shoujo heroine without batting an eye. I don't know how the conversation about this went, but thank you Imai! And just what a lovely summer jam. (Mix with Sid Vicious ON THE BEACH for pure perfection.)

FUTURE SONG - It is the future and you're kicking ass. Apparently you're also getting some. But bottom line, if you don't take the excuse to self-insert yourself into an imaginary space opera, what even is the point?

Manjusaka - This one is striking, the way it walks the line between tender and cutting, spiteful even. The music gives me a very specific feeling, like the electric air before a thunderstorm. Also if you are a B-T lyrics nerd, there is cool continuity with the imagery of the cherry blossoms - in Kalavinka they "suck red blood and sing", and here they are "spitting blood" (going by Cayce's translations).

Cuba Libre - The first thing I fell in love with about Atom Miraiha, especially with it coming on the heels of The Mortal, was how colorful it was, and this is the clearest example. Maybe because Cayce pointed out that "Taiyou ga Ippai" is the Japanese title of "Plein Soleil", but this song has a bit of that old film glamour to it for me on top of the carnival vibe going. It's also impossibly catchy.

Ai no Souretsu - It either gets you in the feels, or it doesn't. The grand yet poignant closer. (Only it isn't! Ha!)

NEW WORLD - Part of me hates that this is the actual closer. Don't get me wrong, I like the song, how airy and shimmery it is, and the water-spiral-dancing line, pretty! But after Ai no Souretsu? Nah mate. I usually do the same I do with Merry's Fuyu no Castanet (which I also like) and pretend it was never on its album. Once in a blue moon though, I let myself think how it could fit in the album progression, and it sends my thoughts spiralling back through the beginning, zeroes and nines and going from the creation of humans to the creation of whole worlds. So I am happy it is where it is.

Excuse the rambling, but guys, see, I stayed until 5 in the morning to write about this album! Please give it a chance, something just may click.

Edited by crossparallel

6 hours ago, crossparallel said:

Excuse the rambling, but guys, see, I stayed until 5 in the morning to write about this album! Please give it a chance, something just may click.

No worries. :D I do enjoy me quite a bit of the "Atom" album, it just took a really long time to grow on me (and still I prefer basically anything else xD). "cum uh sol nu", "BOY septem peccata mortalia", "FUTURE SONG" and "Ai no souretsu" are all killer tunes!

So, I went on another downloading spree. Now I have everything since 殺シノ調ベ, and Six/Nine has especially caught my attention. 見えない物を見ようとする誤解 is already becoming one of my favourite BT tracks, as well as 楽園 (original version). What the hell were they thinking putting the 祈り希い version on the album and the original on the 鼓動 single as a b-side? Should have been the other way around!

On 2/23/2019 at 12:17 AM, crossparallel said:

@Jigsaw9 that's hilariously spot on.

Except! As someone who loves Atom Miraiha No. 9 - it has become my second favorite album of theirs after Six/Nine! - it pains me to see it not get the adoration it deserves. Granted, it is a bit weird and even cringy at times (the "I don't know if I should be impressed how they do that with a straight face" kind). There's also the aspect where the music very deliberately references recognizable sounds and moods - but not without its unique twist on them! I think the title is a key to the method, a future built from fragments of the familiar and nostalgic. But once you embrace the album, there is nothing like it. So let me be super self-indulgent and do a track by track of why it rocks.

I gave Atom one listen back when it came out. I actually liked it, but Ai no Souretsu was the only track I kept going back for. This post just convinced to give the album a few other spins. Thanks!

37 minutes ago, norse_hell_wolf said:

what album is best to start with?

From the older stuff, any album between 1990-1995 is a safe bet ("Kurutta taiyou" is my personal favorite).

From the newer stuff, I recommend "MONA LISA OVERDRIVE", "Juusankai wa gekkou" or "Arui wa Anarchy".

I have been thinking about doing it if I can find the time but to make a sort of 'best of' or must listen from each album list...of course I might have different favorites than someone else would end up having but it'd be a starting point.

Today was the 1st gig of the band's 2-day event "Locus Solus no kemono-tachi" at Makuhari Messe, and looks like they played some stuff they haven't for quite a while! Also some acoustic versions, which is not something they usually do. Here's the setlist:

01.獣たちの夜
02.GUSTAVE
03.PHANTOM VOLTAIRE
04.Lullaby-III
05.謝肉祭 -カーニバル-
06.キラメキの中で…
07.相変わらずの「アレ」のカタマリがのさばる反吐の底の吹き溜まり
08.ICONOCLASM
09.FUTURE SONG -未来が通る-
10.BABEL
11.Moon さよならを教えて
12.密室
13.RONDO
14.THE SEASIDE STORY
15.BRAN-NEW LOVER
16.DIABOLO

ENCORE 1:
01.スズメバチ(Acoustic)
02.BOY septem peccata mortalia(Acoustic)
03.形而上 流星(Acoustic)

ENCORE 2:
01.愛ノ歌
02.さくら
03.HEAVEN

Not posting today's setlist because it was almost exactly the same, but instead of "FUTURE SONG -未来が通る-" they played "タナトス", and instead of "密室" they played "Tight Rope". Not bad.

I’m making progress on listening to their albums. So far, I’ve heard (in full, at least once):

• darker than darkness: gothic synth-y nu-metal
  • Six/Nine: definition of avant-garde
  • COSMOS: noise pop, I think, one listen wasn’t enough to remember much
  • SEXY STREAM LINER: very ‘80s, made me think of that show Moonbeam City
  • ONE LIFE, ONE DEATH: the nostalgic cyberpunk trail continues
  • 極東 I LOVE YOU: mechanical animals, white disc
  • Mona Lisa OVERDRIVE: mechanical animals, blue disc
  • 13階は月光: I C O N I C , absolutely wonderful
  • 天使のリボルバー: A W F U L ! It has this sort of “spaghetti western on broadway” vibe that I am NOT fucking with. RENDEZVOUS was simply annoying. REVOLVER is the only good song
  • No.9: the first song is cool, but I forget the rest
  • No.0: “CITIES ON THE MOON... Thank You!”

I still have a lot to listen to, and quite a few to go back to, but I’m getting there. Not exactly as I planned

@Seimeisen Wow, that's quite a progress! :D 

或いはアナーキー (Arui wa Anarchy) is their best 'recent-ish' album imo, make sure to give that one a try too!

Back in the day I was really into 天使のリボルバー, but upon repeated listens over the years I can kinda see why you wouldn't dig it. Has a particular relentlessly cheesy vibe crossed with burnt-out dad rock at its worst, haha. Still, I can't help but enjoy most of it. You might not enjoy most of Memento Mori then either, I guess (it's kinda like 天使のリボルバー but beefed-up and more pop-rock).

I wish I searched more about them after watching Trinity Blood back in the day, because "Dress" is such a good song. 

But luckily, after watching BUCK-TICK FEST 2012 On Parade I wanted to listen to them more ❤️ . I can't possibly pick one favorite song, but as of now, the ones that I find myself listening on repeat are:

疾風のブレードランナー

禁じられた遊び -ADULT CHILDREN-

HEAVEN

JUPITER

GALAXY

LOVE ME ( I like the more slow version and I believe it's from 殺しノ調べ , correct me if I'm wrong)

形而上 流星 - metaform- 

ICONOCLASM

エリーゼのために 

MISS TAKE~僕はミス・テイク~

BABEL

and many more <3.

Also I really like RONDO out of the new single ❤️ ! I really love that tango and goth vibe of the song !