Shion8

BUCK-TICK

I was surprised to see that there was no topic on Buck-Tick so far, seeing as they're one of the pioneers of Visual Kei and have been going strong for over 30 years now.

Who else listens to B-T? What do you think of them?

dummy.gifatsushi-buck-tick-profile-no-0-2018.jpg

櫻井 敦司 [SAKURAI ATSUSHI]
On Vocal

DATE OF BIRTH:7th March 1966
BLOOD TYPE:O
BIRTHPLACE:FUJIOKA CITY, GUNMA
HEIGHT / WEIGHT:177cm / 65kg
ASTROLOGICAL SIGN:PISCES

imai-buck-tick-profile-no-0-2018.jpg

今井 寿 [IMAI HISASHI]
On GUITAR

DATE OF BIRTH:21st October 1965
BLOOD TYPE:O
HEIGHT / WEIGHT:175cm / 58kg
ASTROLOGICAL SIGN:LIBRA

hoshino-buck-tick-profile-no-0-2018.jpg

星野 英彦 [HOSHINO HIDEHIKO]
On GUITAR

DATE OF BIRTH:16th June 1966
BLOOD TYPE:A
HEIGHT / WEIGHT:179cm / 66kg
ASTROLOGICAL SIGN:GEMINI

yutaka-buck-tick-profile-no-0-2018.jpg

樋󠄀口 豊 [HIGUCHI YUTAKA]
On BASS

DATE OF BIRTH:24th January 1967
BIRTHPLACE:TAKASAKI CITY, GUNMA
HEIGHT / WEIGHT:162cm / 50kg
ASTROLOGICAL SIGN:AQUARIUS

toll-buck-tick-profile-no-0-2018.jpg

ヤガミ・トール [YAGAMI TOLL]
On DRUMS

DATE OF BIRTH:19th August 1962
BIRTHPLACE:TAKASAKI CITY, GUNMA
HEIGHT / WEIGHT:170cm / 55kg
ASTROLOGICAL SIGN:LEO

Edited by Shion8

My only regret is that I wasn't able to find them sooner, I missed out on so many years of listening just cause of my own incompetence in searching in the past.

Despite this I feel like I've already been listening to them for years, I think Atsushi's voice has a very nostalgic tone to it, I'm not really good at explaining.

They're my favorite band as a flip side to my fav metal band.

I'm really moved by the friendship and connection between all the members, even most marriages don't work that long or smoothly. Even more so when I read Imai was looking into a medium that they were all destined to meet from a past life haha.

I guess aside from loving Atsushi's lyrics, style and what he's overcome /B-T experimentation, I really just envy to have such friends. The same with the twin flame like situation Atsushi had with Issay.

Think I could write too much about what they mean to me now so I'll cut it, but-

I was torn a bit between Six/Nine, but I'm sure now that Darker than Darkness is my favorite album, from cover art to end track. (I had even wrote an exact lyric from DtD on an art piece a few months before hearing it, it felt surreal by chance lol.)

Edited by karai · ebi

Such a great band with so many bops. I think I became super into them when ROMANCE released, which is still one of my favourite songs to this day. Atsushi is also probably one of the most attractive men alive.

Edited by Paraph

5 hours ago, karai · ebi said:

I'm really moved by the friendship and connection between all the members, even most marriages don't work that long or smoothly. Even more so when I read Imai was looking into a medium that they were all destined to meet from a past life haha.

I guess aside from loving Atsushi's lyrics, style and what he's overcome /B-T experimentation, I really just envy to have such friends.

That's also one of the things about them that I really adore. I know it sounds childish, but for me the image of a "band" is one of a bunch of good friends making music and having fun together. So, I think it's really off-putting if other musicians admit to not getting along with their band members (like for example Takanori Nishikawa in the interview with them from 2014 said: B-T are basically the only ones who still do everything together). Them "finding" each other was truly a blessing.

And I mean, managing to stick with the same guys for over 30 years also confirms that their personalities can't be that bad. 😊

5 hours ago, Paraph said:

Atsushi is also probably one of the most attractive men alive.

I agree 100%, lol.

Personally, I like their earlier work the most: Seventh Heaven, Aku no Hana and Kurutta Taiyou are absolutely perfect. My favourite songs are probably Angelic Conversation and Dress.

Edited by Shion8

I really love them. A couple of my favorite songs from them are idol, masQue, Gessekai.

I would think that a lot of people in the west or simply don't speak Japanese have a harder time accessing them since some of their releases, tickets, and communication are pretty restricted to FISH TANK.

Edited by ahnchc

One thing that amazes me about this band is how despite being in the scene for 30 years, they still release better/more interesting music then 99% of other Japanese rock bands. There's only a handful of bands in the world who have kept up a streak that long without turning crap. Their last two albums have been really great imo.

Edited by Tanishi

BT is my formative vkei band. Gessekai being used as the Nightwalker op is what introduced me to them. I loved the song, it was my favorite part of the show and pretty much why I finished it at all(it sucks). Looking for info about the song online and reading a blurb about Malice Mizer/egl in some ancient anime magazine(I'm pretty sure it was an animerica w hellsing on the cover) led me to discovering Deg, due le quartz, pierrot, etc. and eventually Tainted World lol.

This sounds silly, but I've noticed that I take them for granted, they've been steadily releasing quality music for about as long as I've been alive.  They'e amazing and I don't think I'm prepared for when they eventually call it quits.

Wait, there really wasn't a Buck-Tick thread here until now? And they call this place a VK site?

Buck-Tick is one of my hands down favorite bands of all time. I'm consistently amazed that they can put out amazing work even now. Their latest album, No.0 was absolutely amazing! Like @Tanishi said, there are very few bands who make quality, innovative work for as long as they have, and there are very few bands who have such a range of sounds.
I'm a fan of all of their work, from Aku no Hana, to their most recent release. I think I probably know the lyrics to more of their songs than any other jrock band. I could really write a novel about how much I like BT!

And how about their live acts?

Edited by Envelion

7 minutes ago, Envelion said:

Now, if only we could get Atsushi to stop using "yume" in his lyrics... 😆

Absolute blasphemy...next you'll want him to not sing about the moon :grin:...

Jokes aside, as repetitive as it should seem, I really love that the same themes have bled throughout every album. Maybe because I'm a sucker for all the same, I don't know, I guess I accept repetition selectively lol.

On 9/24/2018 at 10:02 PM, PIZAZ said:

They'e amazing and I don't think I'm prepared for when they eventually call it quits.

That's what scares me. I'm certain that they will go on for as long as possible, but nevertheless... Makes me wish I was older (or they younger) lol.

3 hours ago, Envelion said:

Wait, there really wasn't a Buck-Tick thread here until now? And they call this place a VK site?

I also couldn't believe it at first, but I searched everywhere and there was none.

I've been into these guys since around 2004 and am still gutted that I couldn't see them live on the Devil and Freud tour, or any other time ever ;_; So happy to see there's finally a thread for them though x

What does everyone think about their most recent album, No.0?

I was pleasantly surprised myself. The previous 2 albums were a bit hit and miss with me, but No.0 had a really interesting feel to it. Especially with the crazy songs like Gustav and Bishu Love. The singles we're also really nice.

I'd really love to sing Moon さよならを教えて or Ophelia some time at karaoke. 

Gustav and Bishu love are definitely my favorite too. I like Mr. Darkness and Ms. Moonlight  & Femme Fatale also, but I haven't had as much run time with the more depressing tracks.

The addition of  sporadic dubstep / more electronic sounds kinda threw me off at first.

B-T are one of my oldest and all-time favorites in terms of J-music, but those last two albums were not too great... especially the most recent one. Anyway, I'm not expecting anything mindblowing from them at this point (especially since they've already released 21 full-lengths so not much to prove anymore :D) but they still occasionally deliver some glimpes of genius. For example, "Arui wa Anarchy" was an amazing album I never expected they still had it in them.

So even though the last two albums left me a bit cold, I'm still looking forward to whatever they have in store next!

I can get the feeling like the most recent album was odd, especially with the heavy electronic elements. I for one am a fan of blending electronica and rock, when it's done right, but tracks like 光の帝国 were a little too much for me. 

I guess when you've done it all, it's a little hard to make something new.

On a separate note, the way BT has changed since their conception, and the way they obviously inspire modern acts makes me think a lot about David Bowie. Both have such a diverse offering of sounds and compositions. It's hard to nail them down.

The album "TABOO" was released in 1989, exactly 30 years ago today (18th January)! 8) 

One of the most excellent old-school J-rock albums imo with many great highlights such as ICONOCLASM, ANGELIC CONVERSATION or JUST ONE MORE KISS. My favorites are TOKYO and FEAST OF DEMORALIZATION tho (the latter being one of only two songs whose lyrics Toll wrote in B-T history!).

What are your faves from the album?

Edited by Jigsaw9

Amazing album! I wouldn't have realized today marked it's 30th if you hadn't posted, about to go listen to it in a bit. 

I may be an outlier, but I can't stand JUST ONE MORE KISS, something about it always made me uncomfortable lol. The rest of this album is great tho, with my favorites being ICONOCLASM, TOKYO and TABOO. 

I may be alone here, but EMBYO. It's just such a Sakurai song, it's truly cool how we can see the continuity of his lyrical themes from back then, and EMBYO is in some ways more powerful for being so direct too. Then ICONOCLASM is the classic, though I prefer the rerecording.

Edited by crossparallel

@karai · ebi I gotta confess, I could never take SILENT NIGHT seriously because of the Engrish (so I have a bit of a different experience with it), lol.

@crossparallel EMBRYO is a cool track! I love ICONOCLASM to bits, it's interesting to read some ppl prefer the rerecording. I've always adored the original, and come to think of it, I have to think really hard to find a rerecording by B-T that I like more than the original... tho the duo of the rerec'd TABOO and HYPER LOVE is pretty awesome, especially live!

1 minute ago, Jigsaw9 said:

@karai · ebi I gotta confess, I could never take SILENT NIGHT seriously because of the Engrish (so I have a bit of a different experience with it), lol.

Haha, I can get that...usually I can't stand Engrish either (most especially in rock/metal) but somehow knowing what an influence David Bowie had on Atsushi, I dunno somehow makes it feel endearing instead of forced? Not sure if that makes sense. Just like THE IMMORTAL live, addressing the audience almost entirely in English making an atmosphere of a real punk-goth live.
(I think B-T / etc is the only place I've made an exception 😂)

@Jigsaw9 Not even My Baby Japanese type II? And yes!! about Hyper Love + Taboo. I remember just playing these performances on repeat (+Narcissus, Taiyou ni Korosareta and Kiss Me Goodbye) for weeks when I first became a fan.

Edited by crossparallel