StriderSubzero

Angelo

I've been on a kick today of checking out what all my old favorites have been up to, and I literally wasn't aware Angelo did more than 1 album. I checked them out with their first single when it dropped because I was a big fan of Kirito and Karyu, but I found it pretty boring and tuned them out afterwards. They have like 10 albums... does anyone have any particular song recommendations?

Edited by StriderSubzero

Angelo is one of my favorite bands and I think it's funny you mentioned their first album because that was the only one I didn't really care for 😂

The following recommendations are solely based on what I like:

My favorite songs from "THE FREAK SHOW"

- 断末魔に耳すまして

- NEO HADES

- Destruction impulse

My favorite songs from "METALLIC BUTTERFLY"

- SISTER

- 薔薇の花

- CHAOTIC BELL

- 薄紅の欠片

- MICRO WAVE SLIDER

- SIGN-mechanism of concealed clue-

- ロザリオ

My favorite songs from "Design"

- El Dorado

- 光の記憶

- Last song

My favorite songs from "BABEL"

- FEATHER

- PLOSIVE

- White fury

- Gospel

- Ruins

My favorite songs from "RETINA"

- PROGRAM

- Calvary

- CONVICTION

- RIP

- SANDS OF TIME

- Script error

- シナプス

My favorite songs from "FAITH"

- FAITH

- OUTBREAK

- Doll

- CONTRACT

- MADMAN MAKE QUANTUM VARIATION

- 想像の楽園

- Beginning

My favorite songs from "PSYCHE"

- Deep Psyche

- SCARE

- PERFECT PLAN

- THE CROCK OF ULTIMATE

- SCENARIO

- 報いの虹

My favorite songs from "FACTOR"

- FACTOR

- Collapse parade

My favorite songs from "RESULT"

- RESULT

- BLACK FLAG

My favorite songs from "CORD"

- Cut

- リテラシー

- FIELD OF GOD

- Daybreakers

My favorite songs from "HETERODOX"

- STRING

- HETERODOX

- evil

- RESISTANT BACTERIA

8 hours ago, StriderSubzero said:

I checked them out with their first single when it dropped because I was a big fan of Kirito and Karyu, but I found it pretty boring and tuned them out afterwards.

do you mean their first single, or the first single with Karyu (which is I think Calvary) because he wasn't a part of their og line-up??? I find their entire first two albums basically unlistenable, and there's a lot of filler on every album of theirs

if you didn't like calvary and RIP/moment singles, there's really nothing for you there, they aren't an experimental band at all and recycle the same formula over and over.

I think they have one or two songs that have a distinct major despa feel, but I can't remember which ones they are exactly because kirito doesn't sound particularly well with this music direction and they aren't on par with karyu's past output.

9 hours ago, nekkichi said:

do you mean their first single, or the first single with Karyu (which is I think Calvary) because he wasn't a part of their og line-up??? I find their entire first two albums basically unlistenable, and there's a lot of filler on every album of theirs

if you didn't like calvary and RIP/moment singles, there's really nothing for you there, they aren't an experimental band at all and recycle the same formula over and over.

I think they have one or two songs that have a distinct major despa feel, but I can't remember which ones they are exactly because kirito doesn't sound particularly well with this music direction and they aren't on par with karyu's past output.

You're right, I guess I must have heard later on that Karyu joined and got it mixed up, but I meant Reborn. 

Edited by StriderSubzero

1 minute ago, StriderSubzero said:

You're right, I guess I must have heard later on that Karyu joined and got it mixed up, but I meant Reborn. 

their youtube page has a good number of PVs and such to get an impression of their current sound, Karyu era started on this:

it's in my top-3 angelo songs to date.

they also have another album titled RESONANCE coming out later ( 2018.11.14) but like I'm not really hyped about it at this point.

I like " Voice of Cradle ", kind of rock ballad. And " the crime to Cradle" .

I like Takeo drum playing, his style is not complex but hé always find original rythm. But i admit during Pierrot his work was even more good because he mixed acoustic and electronic sound, which gave something pretty unique to Pierrot. To me Pierrot was more famous simply because the musical alchemy  between the members was deep. They perfectly fit together. Electronic drums, guitar synth, Aiji unique guitar lead. All those elements together were amazing. 

Angelo is a good band , but they are not " great" because it's too simple. They should take more risk and experiment.

Edited by Kirito

When I heard Karyu had joined a new band, I immediately checked out the first album with him (Babel), and was less than impressed to discover that it's bland melodic rock with occasional nice riffs, so I immediately forgot about them. Last year I was checking out the sale boxes at Futaba and found the very first Angelo album (The Freak Show) and since it was 100 yen I figured I'd give it a go. Pleasantly surprised to find it's full of gritty and loud Marilyn Manson-style guitar riffs, so I rented the rest of the early albums and really enjoyed them. Ever the optimist, I decided to try the Karyu/Giru albums and discovered that while Babel is still pretty awful, the rest of them are much better. It's not D'espairsRay (but then, nothing else ever could be), but each album (especially Faith) has its fair share of punchy, driving, hard-edged guitars and pounding bass and drums. I don't honestly care too much for the ballads, but I've heard worse. I'd like to hear the other mini-albums (can't find them) and I'm interested in their forthcoming album. I'd like to see them live, but they're not coming to Hiroshima. I'll have to be satisfied with Defspiral in March.

16 hours ago, JimHarper said:

When I heard Karyu had joined a new band, I immediately checked out the first album with him (Babel), and was less than impressed to discover that it's bland melodic rock with occasional nice riffs, so I immediately forgot about them. Last year I was checking out the sale boxes at Futaba and found the very first Angelo album (The Freak Show) and since it was 100 yen I figured I'd give it a go. Pleasantly surprised to find it's full of gritty and loud Marilyn Manson-style guitar riffs, so I rented the rest of the early albums and really enjoyed them. Ever the optimist, I decided to try the Karyu/Giru albums and discovered that while Babel is still pretty awful, the rest of them are much better. It's not D'espairsRay (but then, nothing else ever could be), but each album (especially Faith) has its fair share of punchy, driving, hard-edged guitars and pounding bass and drums. I don't honestly care too much for the ballads, but I've heard worse. I'd like to hear the other mini-albums (can't find them) and I'm interested in their forthcoming album. I'd like to see them live, but they're not coming to Hiroshima. I'll have to be satisfied with Defspiral in March.

Angelo is the best band ever at least in my opinion, they are amazing in concert, they will never repeat a setlist in any performance, so it's great to experience their concerts. They usually do a nationwide tour around the middle of the year, it was announced already, so maybe they will go to Hiroshima, I hope you have the opportunity to see them. In regards to their albums since Karyu/Giru joined, the style changed a lot, and Karyu is the main composer right now, the latest album RESONANCE is a masterpiece.