monkeybanana4

Returned again

Hi~ I've mainly been lurking around here for a while since I'm kind of a shy person. But it's really nice to come back to a wonderful community. (I made an account a long time ago, but I've forgotten all the information. So I had to make a new one, lol.)

I like visual kei because, in my opinion, despite the social stigma, the musicians come out to express themselves through music and fashion in ways not considered to be the "status quo". As an introvert, that quality of courage appealed to me. Also, the community and the people in it are wonderful! It's nice to know there are other people who like this genre. (There aren't too many people who like this stuff in the place where I live.)

I first got into visual kei around 2006, and the first bands I discovered were Kagerou and Nightmare. I was fascinated by the music, so I researched further about visual kei, and I found out about AnCafe and Alice Nine. Afterward, my love for the music genre snowballed. Bands I like are (not a comprehensive list): Kagrra, SCREW, Vidoll, D'espairsRay, Kiryu, vistlip, Shoujo Lolita23Q, Versailles, and many more. I did drop off from the genre for a while, but now I'm back into it. There are so many new bands I don't recognize, but I'm hoping to find some cool new VK bands to like :) 

I think that's all for now (unless I can think of something else xD)

Welcome back to the community! And true, the VK fandom is so small that sometimes it's hard to find someone with the same tastes, but luckily there are forums like MH! Back then tho, the VK tumblr community was enormous (well mostly for rp-ers I guess) but, now they're barely there in my opinion lol hopefully it'll recover soon ouo

I like VK because of well, firstly their music and secondly the aesthetics lol they make sure to style not only their music video but, themselves as well to the music they make and I think that's so unique and artistic. Musician in the VK scene are really artistic.

Also maybe because it appealed to me because that's the type of musician I want to become as well, not only to be able to make beautiful music, to look aesthetically beautiful physically as well. Art meets Art in a way of my definition.

And woah! You got into VK like 4 or 5 years earlier than, me! XD

And same here, I was out of the fandom for a while so there are so many new faces and music that came about! Let's explore them together! They have a topic here wherein they introduce new bands and such ouo

1 hour ago, riyusama said:

Welcome back to the community! And true, the VK fandom is so small that sometimes it's hard to find someone with the same tastes, but luckily there are forums like MH! Back then tho, the VK tumblr community was enormous (well mostly for rp-ers I guess) but, now they're barely there in my opinion lol hopefully it'll recover soon ouo

I like VK because of well, firstly their music and secondly the aesthetics lol they make sure to style not only their music video but, themselves as well to the music they make and I think that's so unique and artistic. Musician in the VK scene are really artistic.

Also maybe because it appealed to me because that's the type of musician I want to become as well, not only to be able to make beautiful music, to look aesthetically beautiful physically as well. Art meets Art in a way of my definition.

And woah! You got into VK like 4 or 5 years earlier than, me! XD

And same here, I was out of the fandom for a while so there are so many new faces and music that came about! Let's explore them together! They have a topic here wherein they introduce new bands and such ouo

Thank you! I think that's one of the unique aspects about the fandom - the smallness of the community. I haven't been on tumblr for sometime, so I had no idea that they've gone quiet. I still remember when the VK tumblr community was super active and exploding with activity.

That too! Most VK artists really put the "art" into everything they create whether that be the music, costumes/fashion, music videos, cover album/art, or the themes/thoughts behind the works they create. Visual kei is not just another music genre, but an artistic one. I'm not an expert musician, but as an amateur one, I deeply appreciate the artistry and thought that goes into visual kei. Wow, you're a musician? That's cool! What instrument do you play?

Haha, yeah, it makes me feel old when I think about how long ago I've been in the fandom XD Cool~ Let's explore new bands together!

On 9/7/2018 at 6:47 PM, monkeybanana4 said:

Thank you! I think that's one of the unique aspects about the fandom - the smallness of the community. I haven't been on tumblr for sometime, so I had no idea that they've gone quiet. I still remember when the VK tumblr community was super active and exploding with activity.

That too! Most VK artists really put the "art" into everything they create whether that be the music, costumes/fashion, music videos, cover album/art, or the themes/thoughts behind the works they create. Visual kei is not just another music genre, but an artistic one. I'm not an expert musician, but as an amateur one, I deeply appreciate the artistry and thought that goes into visual kei. Wow, you're a musician? That's cool! What instrument do you play?

Haha, yeah, it makes me feel old when I think about how long ago I've been in the fandom XD Cool~ Let's explore new bands together!

It's small but, I did observe that there are a couple of tight-knit groups in the VK fandom. I'm still too intimidated to try and befriend them XD mostly I see them on tumblr or on LJ or DW ~ gawd, the years of 2010 to 2013 were like the golden ages for the VK community in tumblr lol RP-ers and personal blogs, spam, blogs, and all those galore for the VK fandom. I think it's because there were either toxicity or smth that caused an issue hence they either migrated again or just stayed quiet?

And yes true! VK is just so artistic in so many aspects that I am still quite amazed that a lot of people don't appreciate it that much. Well, I understand that most would see it as gay or some shit so yeah, hopefully that'll change. And hopefully, there'll be more VK artists that'll be more focused on music rather than, their looks. Idk, that's just my opinion tho ;w;  I feel as though a lot of new bands are more on aesthetics and second on music ;w;

And yeah, I'm a musician but, I hardly ever practice nowadays ;w; here in my country (Philippines) if you're a musician you have no future nor money as what every says and it's true lol hence why I'm instead pursuing either an office job (current job) or just be a doctor (still contemplating on this one) XD but for the instruments I play, my main is violin, second is guitar and I know some basic knowledge of the piano ~ but I'm really rusty tho and haven't practiced for years so I prob sound like an amateur now XD

How about you? What instruments do you play? ouo

and oh! oh! As for new bands, I will message you now on DW so we can fangirl there lolololol

3 hours ago, riyusama said:

It's small but, I did observe that there are a couple of tight-knit groups in the VK fandom. I'm still too intimidated to try and befriend them XD mostly I see them on tumblr or on LJ or DW ~ gawd, the years of 2010 to 2013 were like the golden ages for the VK community in tumblr lol RP-ers and personal blogs, spam, blogs, and all those galore for the VK fandom. I think it's because there were either toxicity or smth that caused an issue hence they either migrated again or just stayed quiet?

And yes true! VK is just so artistic in so many aspects that I am still quite amazed that a lot of people don't appreciate it that much. Well, I understand that most would see it as gay or some shit so yeah, hopefully that'll change. And hopefully, there'll be more VK artists that'll be more focused on music rather than, their looks. Idk, that's just my opinion tho ;w;  I feel as though a lot of new bands are more on aesthetics and second on music ;w;

And yeah, I'm a musician but, I hardly ever practice nowadays ;w; here in my country (Philippines) if you're a musician you have no future nor money as what every says and it's true lol hence why I'm instead pursuing either an office job (current job) or just be a doctor (still contemplating on this one) XD but for the instruments I play, my main is violin, second is guitar and I know some basic knowledge of the piano ~ but I'm really rusty tho and haven't practiced for years so I prob sound like an amateur now XD

How about you? What instruments do you play? ouo

and oh! oh! As for new bands, I will message you now on DW so we can fangirl there lolololol

Yeah, 2010 to 2013 were the golden years for the online VK community. I still remember checking so many websites for information or whatever on VK, and it was so fun to interact with people who shared the same interests. Oh, I had no idea about the issues with the communities. I unfortunately wasn't so active in the VK community after those golden years, but I still listened to the music.

That's how most people view VK when they first see it. They either think it's gay guys or whatever, which is a shame since it's more than that. When you listen to the music, it's the lyrics and the musicality, which accompany the flamboyant costumes/fashion. There's no mistake to associate visual kei with clothes/fashion (since appearance is very closely tied to the genre - hence the "visual" in its name), but I think it's a mistake to solely judge the genre based on looks alone. I remembered when Yahoo News wrote a story about YOHIO, and I found it fascinating how they considered him to be considered "news" even though it's not really news, per say. If that were the case, the whole genre would be news, lol.

Same here. Playing music is like having no future. It's so sad since there is lots of value in music. Wow! That's a lot of instruments! I wish I knew how to play so many especially the guitar. I was tempted to learn guitar but never had the time or money unfortunately ;w; I mainly play the piano, but like you, I haven't touched/practiced it in so many years, so I'm pretty bad sounding, haha.

Haha, cool! *goes to check on DW*

On 9/10/2018 at 5:11 PM, monkeybanana4 said:

Yeah, 2010 to 2013 were the golden years for the online VK community. I still remember checking so many websites for information or whatever on VK, and it was so fun to interact with people who shared the same interests. Oh, I had no idea about the issues with the communities. I unfortunately wasn't so active in the VK community after those golden years, but I still listened to the music.

That's how most people view VK when they first see it. They either think it's gay guys or whatever, which is a shame since it's more than that. When you listen to the music, it's the lyrics and the musicality, which accompany the flamboyant costumes/fashion. There's no mistake to associate visual kei with clothes/fashion (since appearance is very closely tied to the genre - hence the "visual" in its name), but I think it's a mistake to solely judge the genre based on looks alone. I remembered when Yahoo News wrote a story about YOHIO, and I found it fascinating how they considered him to be considered "news" even though it's not really news, per say. If that were the case, the whole genre would be news, lol.

Same here. Playing music is like having no future. It's so sad since there is lots of value in music. Wow! That's a lot of instruments! I wish I knew how to play so many especially the guitar. I was tempted to learn guitar but never had the time or money unfortunately ;w; I mainly play the piano, but like you, I haven't touched/practiced it in so many years, so I'm pretty bad sounding, haha.

Haha, cool! *goes to check on DW*

Ughhh, sometimes I wish I could go back to those years cuz seriously, even if the rest of the world was fucking going out of control cuz apparently 2012 was the end of the world, VK fandom was there in our their little corner minding their own business and making shit and being happy lol now, we can count with one hand how many vk websites are active lol And yeah man! Tbh, I still hear some issues and backstabbing happening in tumblr rp but that's like a related issue between vk-jpop-kpop thing since they now interact with one another lol

After the golden years I drifted away from the fandom due to some issues of my own lol have to admit I did get into a fight with other vk fans before so I navigated away from tumblr for a while and here I am now XD

Lol was Yohio even good shit? He was just inspired from the VK scene but I have no clue whatsoever if they were good at their music, never gave time to listen to his music tbh idk why, he didn't appeal to me much. 

I came from a musical family hence why I was fortunate enough to learn more than, 1 instrument but sadly we always just reduce it to a hobby in favour of choosing jobs on the business or medical side. And that's cool! You played the piano! What pieces did you play before? At what age did you start playing? Is it your favourite instrument? Like your first love???? Cuz mine, the reason violin is my main because I fell in love with it at first sight ❤️

4 hours ago, riyusama said:

Ughhh, sometimes I wish I could go back to those years cuz seriously, even if the rest of the world was fucking going out of control cuz apparently 2012 was the end of the world, VK fandom was there in our their little corner minding their own business and making shit and being happy lol now, we can count with one hand how many vk websites are active lol And yeah man! Tbh, I still hear some issues and backstabbing happening in tumblr rp but that's like a related issue between vk-jpop-kpop thing since they now interact with one another lol

After the golden years I drifted away from the fandom due to some issues of my own lol have to admit I did get into a fight with other vk fans before so I navigated away from tumblr for a while and here I am now XD

Lol was Yohio even good shit? He was just inspired from the VK scene but I have no clue whatsoever if they were good at their music, never gave time to listen to his music tbh idk why, he didn't appeal to me much. 

I came from a musical family hence why I was fortunate enough to learn more than, 1 instrument but sadly we always just reduce it to a hobby in favour of choosing jobs on the business or medical side. And that's cool! You played the piano! What pieces did you play before? At what age did you start playing? Is it your favourite instrument? Like your first love???? Cuz mine, the reason violin is my main because I fell in love with it at first sight ❤️

Haha, right? Those were some good times, and it was quite awesome to see the fandom quite varied as far as fans went. You could be assured to meet someone who shared the same interests. When I recently got back into the scene, I was surprised how so little sites were actually active. When I went back to the check the sites I used to go to, most of them weren't even active anymore, and the last content on most of those sites were posted in 2013, lol. Yikes about the backstabbing ~w~ I'm glad that you managed to come back to it! Would hate to have silly drama be the cause of you drifting away from the fandom >w<

Who knows? But I'm not sure about Yohio. I never had the chance to listen to their stuff either. I just know Yahoo News made it a big deal, which struck me as odd since he was inspired by VK as you mentioned, lol.

Wow, that's so cool! I also come from a musical family as well, but you guys are awesome. Same here. Music ends up being a hobby for us rather than a real career even though we all love music. Thank you! I played some Chopin and Beethoven. Can't say I was good or decent sounding, though XD I did try my hands at a few anime pieces for the heck of it. I wish I could play some of the cooler VK songs that are in piano ;w; What pieces on the violin did play? I'm always super impressed by stringed-instruments since you have to remember where the note is on the instrument unlike piano where it's all kind of laid out for you. I think I started around eight or nine o_o; Thinking about how old I was when I started makes me feel old, lol. Oooh, how about you? When did you first learn to play violin? Yup, it's my favorite instrument. I actually tried another instrument (cello), but when I saw the piano it appealed to me the most and I just started playing it from there.