Heroin

Cheer Yourself with Sad Music

So this thread I'm basing this off from what I've seen time through time about how people usually result to listening to sad music to make them feel better when they're sad. 

Do you listen to sad music when you're sad (or unsettled, bland or depressed), to cheer yourself up?

For me all I knew was sad music, which was the most relatable for my sorrows. The easiest to my access to listen really.
Nowadays I would listen to, you can say, happy positive music to keep myself stable throughout the days. 
Definitely blessed to have wonderful music to cheer me up.

Here's one of the records that cradles my heart to a happy emotional state. 

I used to do that but I don't think it worked that way for me. I used to only listen to slow droning ambient stuff, dark jazz like Bohren and Der Club of Gore, situationally depressing songs like The Flashbulb and a lot of Keane's old sad stuff, Broken Spindles, Depeche Mode etc.

By a certain time it had only aggregated my mania with everything else and I ended up bed ridden for three weeks and into one of the worst years of my life.

Not really blaming the music wholly, but I don't think I'd ever recommend it if I was asked. I have to wonder if there are people it genuinely worked for.

With time and a lot of self medicating I realized the only way for me to deal with that stuff was the opposite, not sad music but just noise. Hardcore EDM like DJ Technorch, or Igorrr level noise.

Sometimes I make compilations of tornado sirens and people laughing/yelling layered with 6 YT vids sounds.

That's how I ended up here actually, looking for more noise.

I think now the closest I've let myself get to a sad or very empathetically leeching kind of song is anything Atsushi Sakurai sings. Even if I've mellowed a lot I can't get rid of the hypersensitive empathy, and his voice carries so much pain most of the time.

If I shared happy songs they're pretty much all something like Moonlight Feels right, or In the Summertime by Mungo Jerry.

Thanks for sharing your story and music.
That's really off the edge to listen to very intense loud music to keep yourself on your feet , I'll say! Whatever works :)

There's something calming about a song that's full of melancholy and sorrow. Like a musical diary written by someone else for your own solace.

Take for example songs from one of the most recognized albums in the Nagoya scene, In the Direction of Sunrise and Night Light by deadman.

On 9/4/2018 at 7:54 PM, YuyoDrift said:

There's something calming about a song that's full of melancholy and sorrow. Like a musical diary written by someone else for your own solace.

Agreed. Been a while since anyone posted in here, but whatever. I always find myself strangely drawn to sad music, even though I'm not particularly sad very often.

I've been listening to this song a lot lately. I first heard it ages ago, but I've been playing it on repeat recently. It's just so touching and emotive... plus, the video is gorgeous, as per usual with Moran.

This is one of the reasons I love music so much. Anything that can make sadness a desirable emotion is truly beautiful to me.

Edited by Gesu

On 3/21/2019 at 8:15 PM, Gesu said:

I always find myself strangely drawn to sad music, even though I'm not particularly sad very often.

Same here. Since my youth, I've always gravitated towards music that was melancholy and moody (cinematic/dramatic as well), and it's quite a curious thing.  It really makes me wonder what the driving force(s) behind our music tastes are. (granted, I enjoy plenty of different kinds of music, but I would say this is one of the key areas for me)

Anyways, here are some of my favorite "sad-sounding" J-rock songs:

Dude, if I really REALLY want to cry until I get tired and my eyes as red, I listen to these songs on repeat: