Katt

Watching out for Bootlegs?

I know this shouldn't be too much of a problem, although I've seen a small but decent amount of bootlegs and other things like that, I've seen a horribly converted Dir En Grey VHS down the line, and a shoddy looking Malice Mizer Cassette. I know a lot of these are made in Thailand, and other various Asian countries. Although I've heard that some are collectible due to having sometimes rare PVS, or tracks on to physical form?  I know people do make rips of things and copy the CDS, although those are easily for private distribution and not for selling on markets to throw a curve-ball and raise prices.

Bottom line question is, are these something to worry about, and should we worry about an influx of fakes on the market?

Don't worry, unless you buying stuff from bands such as Rosenfeld or X Japan. You (probably) won't find a single genuine copy of anything then...

Watch out for qld96 on Yahoo Auctions, who definitely bootlegs tapes. The same for jnsyn936.

This is kinda common sense advice, but if the seller's photo of the item looks blown or washed out I would probably avoid said item. I ended up with a Royz PV bootleg a few years ago b/c I was being stupid about it.

While a rare CD/DVD can be shrouded in obscurity, a simple photo should not. Just be cognizant, and you'll be fine.

I accidentally bought the deluxe version of MARROW off ebay a few years ago. Felt pretty stupid when I saw 'Miya Records' on the back. The quality is okay, not horrible, but nowhere close to the high standard Dir en grey usually delivers. One thing I will say is the packaging and artwork are significantly different from the real version, which I suppose is notable at least.

On ebay, I actively avoid anything from China and Hong Kong. Seems almost everything there is fake. I did get screwed over locally, though, with a very good bootleg of Pokémon Emerald, so it can really happen anywhere (the seller had no idea). Just do your research, and you should be fine.

Edited by Nowhere Girl