Dillinger

Jupiter - Theory of Evolution (2018)

f7J0dOc.jpg

ETc5ppX.jpg

:3.5: 

Best Jupiter release since "The History of Genesis". Definitely check it out if you are a fan of HIZAKI

When I listen to Jupiter, I compare it to HIZAKI's past works in HIZAKI Grace Project, Schwardix Marvally, and Versailles, so the bar is fairly high. Jupiter had some good bangers like 'ARCADIA' and.... yeah that's the only one that really sticks out in my mind.

They do have fun songs like "The Birth of Venus", "Tears of the Sun", "The spirit within me", but they all sound the same and blends into one another. Good, unique songs like "Red Carnation" and "Rhythmos" are far and few in between, and haven't been matched since their releases in 2015 and 2013 respectively.

ZIN's death voice is hilariously bad in comparison to other VK acts like NOCTURNAL BLOODLUST and DIMLIM, but he gets a pass on it because his clean vocals are solid, and its ok enough to have the songs pass as melodeath.

When it was announced that kuze, ex-Concerto Moon, was their new vocalist, I thought it was interesting because ZIN had this boyish aesthetic and voice, and kuze had this grittiness that gives his bands maturity. 

Theory of Evolution

Four words to describe this song: balls to the walls. Unrelenting speed and technique throughout the song.

Even though this song follows the typical HIZAKI formula for songs, kuze's unique voice brings enough novelty to the song to make it stand out from the rest of HIZAKI's discography. Fun listen to repeat in the future.

Bring me out

I love me some bass wankery. This song is interesting to me because I feel like I'm listening to an ANTHEM song written by HIZAKI. kuze's vocals lend to that old school heavy metal feel and I love it. I wouldn't be giving this song many spins in the future because there isn't a catchy hook to it.

Angel's wings

People talked about how Jupiter could drop their melodeath songs because kuze never growled before, but I think this song put that worry to rest. kuze's death voice is not bad. It doesn't have much range, but its passable.

While listening to this song, I heard "Fuck yourself" and I did a double take and thought it was just kuze's Engrish. I check the lyrics and yup there it is.

Die... you deserve to die

Die... Fuck yourself

Spitting heat towards Concerto Moon? ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Angel's wings is enough to show that kuze can growl, but the song is as forgettable as the rest of Jupiter's discog.

Theory of Evolution is an enjoyable A-side that will be getting many spins from me in the future. If ZIN sung these songs, I would be going to sleep. But kuze brings the band to a level where they can be compared to great power metal bands like Angra, Blind Guardian, Edguy, and Rhapsody of Fire... when Jupiter gets more time as a band to gel together. I will be eagerly waiting for Jupiter to record a full album with kuze.

Edited by Dillinger

I haven't heard the whole single yet, but I did actually like the music video (except for the dead-eyes empty stare everyone was giving, haha).  I'm excited to see how a vocalist from a different scene affects this band's music, and if they can finally shake this awkward transition between "We're not Versailles!!!! ;) " and "We're...melo-death-core-vampires-in-space-that-are-really-into-astrology."  

Hizaki's songwritting is a bit dissapointing here, feels very predicteable now. But you won't risk it too much when incorporating a new member to a band when it makes all of it feel so different imo. In that way this single succeeds, showing Kuze is both capable and a good fit for this band. Sadly I wish the songs themselves were more interesting to me. Glad they are back on the radar, the had a potential I never felt was there with Zin.

B-side songs were great. Main song, generic as expected from HIZAKI but not bad. Overall, a good release.

Kuze's unique voice and talent brought novelty to Jupiter's sound. Sadly it wasn't enough to overcome those HIZAKI's terrible generic compositions.

Really not much left for me to say.

Over the last five years, HIZAKI can't come up with something fresh and interesting. At this point, I'm afraid the change I was hoping for Jupiter's sound won't happen. And even worse, Kuze would leave. But let's see what the future holds (please, HIZAKI, goddamit).

Edited by thom35
grammar

On 8/13/2018 at 9:40 AM, Dillinger said:

I thought it was interesting because ZIN had this boyish aesthetic and voice, and kuze had this grittiness that gives his bands maturity. 

Well Zin was like that in the start, but then came the America-Zin mess...

🇺🇸🇺🇸🇺🇸🇺🇸👨‍🎤