Sign in to follow this  
carddass

COCK ROACH back after 13 years - with ex-members of me-al art - new album Spring 2019

9.jpg
logo.png

COCK ROACH's leader / vocalist Jinpei announced very simply on their official website's BBS that the band would return after having called it a quits in 2005.
He explained that after having composed more acoustically with mugen minus, the electric folk group he started in 2006, that he wanted to get back to a band sound. Here's the full message:

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

昨日ラジオ収録でcock roachの活動再開を発言しました。

この掲示板に来てくれている人がまだいてくださる事に感謝です。ここに来てくれている人だけでも良いので新しい作品ができたら是非聴いてみてください。

解散して13年?くらい経ちました。私もメンバーも随分と歳をとりました。私は13年間音楽とは関係の無い仕事をしてきました。今でも音楽を「仕事」にするつもりはありません。
しかし様々な形で音楽作品をつくってきました。
日々、労働や生活に身を置く中で強く感じた事や感動した事を唄にしてきました。
その時に、やりたい時に、創りたい作品を自由につくる事で音楽だけは色褪せる事無く、宝玉の様な清さでいつも真ん中にありました。どんなに辛い事があっても音楽活動が自分を支えてくれました。

cock roachを再始動させる理由はシンプルに2つあります。
ひとつはcock roachを少しでもファンでいてくださる方達に逢いたくなった事。
もうひとつはいい作品がいいメンバーとつくれているので完成させたいと思った事。

無限マイナスも大好きですが、13年間でしたためた曲をアコースティックでは無く、もう一度ぶ厚いバンドサウンドで作品化したくなりました。無限マイナスファンの皆様本当に申し訳ありません。

このふたつの理由以外にcock roachは何も望みません。
以前にもこの掲示板で書かせてもらった通り、私は靴を舐めてでも、マヨネーズを吸いつづけてでも音楽だけは続けます。
随時こちらには情報を載せたり、ホームページをリニューアルしたり、リリース情報やライブ情報を載せてもらいます。アルバムリリースは来年の春予定です。遅れてもアルバムは必ず発表します。

全国300人のcock roachファンの皆様。13年振りです。
殺して捨てたはずの蜚蠊がゴミ箱を這い登り、ゴミ箱の上より再生します。
蜚蠊は簡単には死なない様です。
では、お逢いできる日を楽しみにしています。---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

COCK ROACH released several popular demo tapes leading up to their 2001 debut album '虫の夢死と無死の虫'. They released a 2nd album, took a hiatus, and then reformed a year later with a 2nd guitarist making the band a 5-piece. They played alongside bands such as Kulu Kulu, The Back Horn and REDRUM and the members of COCK ROACH sometimes still appear in session gigs alongside those contemporaries.

The band broke up in 2005 barely a year after their return when their first guitarist Tetsurou decided to leave the band which he had been apart of with the other 3 founding members since 1996 when they were just in high school.

Jinpei started mugen minus in 2006. Yuya joined REDRUM briefly in 2006. And Both Jinpei and Yuya formed 'Hakase to Korogi' and released one album 'Monochrome Butterfly' which were a spiritual successor to the COCK ROACH sound.

The new lineup COCK ROACH consists of original members Jinpie and Yuya alongside Hirokatsu and Naoki who were part of me-al art. The latter band were the only band signed to Jinpei's label Kuromushi Geijutsu and me-al art disbanded in 2015.  It is unknown why the original guitarists and drummer from COCK ROACH are not part of the reunion.

Vocals / Guitar : Jinpei Endo 遠藤 仁平
Bass: Yuya Honda 本田 祐也
Guitar: Ebisawa Hirokatsu 海老沢宏克
Drums: Honda Naoki 本多直樹

Towards the end of the message Jinpei teases that they will release a new album in Spring 2019 which would be their 4th full length album.

http://cockroach.jp/

Some sample tracks from the band:

Spoiler

Didn't know these guys, but they sound good! I'm glad Hirokatsu and Naoki are back, but reading "ex-me al art" hurts so much. Just yesterday I was blasting ヘメロカリス at full volume.

I'll keep an eye on them. Thanks for the heads-up!

OH FUGGGG that's great news! These guys were really great actually, super underrated band. Really enjoyed the albums i've heard by 'em so far

I actually think they might be on an indefinite hiatus...or as written in Japanese "a pause in activities" . So ex-members they are technically not.

That said, me-al art's last album 'New World' was a killer way to go out.

REDRUM technically kaisan-ed back in 2009 but they do a one-off show every few years, maybe me-al art will do the same someday?

And COCK ROACH was definitely underrated back then and probably could've achieved mainstream success had they shed their mad-monk image and their odd usage of words and concepts. But stripping that away would've taken away what made them great in the first place.

1 hour ago, carddass said:

I actually think they might be on an indefinite hiatus...or as written in Japanese "a pause in activities" . So ex-members they are technically not.

That said, me-al art's last album 'New World' was a killer way to go out.

Their last two albums are still kind of a blur to me, but I'll definitely give "New World" another listen. Will see if I can find COCK ROACH's older albums as well.

Yeah, it's too bad about them but considering their obscurity and that they were around for 10 years - I'm pretty glad we got 4 full albums out of them

Sign in to follow this