Himeaimichu

Help with ripping DVDs

So I have a PC that has the processing power to actually rip large DVDs. Only problem is, it's a laptop without a DVD port. 

Is it possible to just connect a DVD player to the laptop to rip the DVD? Or do I have to get an external DVD drive?

17 hours ago, Shadowtear said:

unless ur dvd player has some usb connectors, just buy a dvd drive.

And if you do. please buy those that are powered by USB.

Should hardly be 15$

Or if u wish to look at high-accuracy cd/dvd readers, look online what ones to get.

agreed, I bought a cd/dvd drive to usb at 15€ about 3 month ago...

a USB2.0, and he does his job very well

you'll need to rip at low speed to have the perfect copy.

also, it depends of what kind of rip you are looking to.

only .vob, just have to copy-paste

.iso, you will need a software to do image copy (easy)

.mp4/.mkv, i will not advice you any software, have no trust on most. i do my own rip and transcode.

The problem with .vob and the reason most people shy away from them is they are very big files. An average movie will come out between 3 and 5GB depending on the movie because it is essentially a direct ripped copy of the raw data on a DVD. In this case a lot of people choose to convert to .mkv because the converted file can be compressed and will come out considerably smaller with minimal loss of quality. Personally, I stick with .vob because I don't like any loss of quality but I'm just picky.

7 minutes ago, Crimson Gates said:

The problem with .vob and the reason most people shy away from them is they are very big files. An average movie will come out between 3 and 5GB depending on the movie because it is essentially a direct ripped copy of the raw data on a DVD. In this case a lot of people choose to convert to .mkv because the converted file can be compressed and will come out considerably smaller with minimal loss of quality. Personally, I stick with .vob because I don't like any loss of quality but I'm just picky.

My computer can easily handle gigabyte size files, so if the file is in vob (which most Memento Mori stuff is, since I'm planning to rip their last live DVD), that'd be best anyway

9 minutes ago, AimiGen7 said:

My computer can easily handle gigabyte size files, so if the file is in vob (which most Memento Mori stuff is, since I'm planning to rip their last live DVD), that'd be best anyway

Ah, that's good then, my PC is jam packed with my own .vob rips of band PV's. Good luck with your live DVD rip.