FOSCOR70

how do you decide which bands to follow?

there are thousands of bands of only just metal genre so amidst all of them how to you decide which band you are going to spend your money and time listening to?

how do you filter stuff out and select only a few ?

idk if everybody is like that but im someone who never actually likes anything just by hearing it once,i have to keep listening to the same thing at least around 5 times to get into it,so it becomes very difficult for me to decide which song or band should i spend my time listening to...

for example take dir en grey,the first song i heard of this band was vinushka.

first time play - sounded like mediocre at its best.

second time - wtf is this asian dude screaming for?

third time- um...i liked 'this' part of the song only.

forth time- i want to hear it once again.

filth time - hmm? 10 min already over? damn need more songs like this.

currently vinushka is one of my fav songs that makes me go ecstatic whenever i listen to it.

so you see? what im talking about???

Listen to 4-5 songs/MVs of a band with attention and see if there is anything worth relistening to. If not one of those songs connect or no parts were interesting enough to give a relisten, then forget it.

Start by checking bands that are similar to those that you like already, keep a list of those you find interesting to deep dive more on, dedicate some time to discover new bands, the results are always very nice, youtube is a great place for this nowadays, it's not that hard as it was at the beginning

As for me, I usually try to really give a chance to every band I meet, so I try to hear various songs. Obviously, if you hear certain song many times you'll get used to it and it0ll get a higer chance to be liked by you. Anyway, since I listen to a lot of music, I usually try to find unique sounds, or interesting melodies, I'm looking for things that the other music I listen to doesn't have. It may be an arrange, a chord progression or a simple phrase in the whole song, but if it is something new for me and I like it, I keep it. As for spending money, I think I usually spend in the bands I like who are indie or the most beloved ones. When I see a band who is very indie, and I see potential, I try to support them, and I always try to support my most beloved artist (Sometimes that's hard since I'm not in Japan tho)
The latest artist that I liked was Toru Matsumoto, and since I was really moved and very surprised by the song I listened to, I decided to check out more songs from him.
Another example is the new Hz band from BRP: I tried to like'em since I like other bands from BPR like Kiryu, but when I tried them I wasn't surprised. They had a great production, they played well and the singer is ok, but I wasn't moved or surprised and that's something very personal, there wasn't something I haven't heard before and there wasn't anything new or improved in contrast with my current music collection, so I am not interested on it.
If you only listen music for fun, I think there are several options.
You can listen the songs you already like thousands of times, and that's ok, but as for me, I like to listen to very random music from all the genres, and even bands I already dislike, just because I like to find new sounds and learn from every band. Thanks to that now I have lots and lots of music to listen, and I discovered music I didn't even think I would be able to like, and that's fun for me.
I guess some people think it's boring to spend time listening to songs that have the same chance of being liked and not, but I think that giving chances to songs even if in the end they are not good is a nice is a good way to have fun and find new music. Eventually you will find songs that will move you in seconds and you will now wich song is the best for spending your time.

I usually try to listen to a few songs from every band I come across that seem at least slightly interesting. If none of those few songs sound good enough on the first listen, though, I kinda lose my interest and don't bother trying to get into that band. A band's sound has to just click with me immediately for me to start following them actively.

Generally speaking, the vocalist has to have a certain special "something" that attracts me. I can't explain what it is. I just like it or I don't like it. They could be technically bad singers but if they have that "something" I will listen to them. .. After selecting based on vocalist, I would find an album and listen a couple of times to see if I like the songs. 

As for how I hear of bands in the first place... well, these days I don't have time to be following VK news and checking out every single band. But I still run a lyrics site, and have found some awesome bands from what people have requested.

Vocalists have to just have that "it", that mixture of the ability to sing, scream and has presence and the overall look of the group, the sound and how well or unknown they are. I tend to go for darker styles, good clean vocals, but also the ability to growl and classical elements are always a plus. 

I'm really picky in choosing bands to support.

I listen to a song once, and if they didn't put inside what I like, I simply won't listen again. whenever they are loved by many or not.

But still some bands I check every release in hope that they deliver something amazing, and that can take a couple of years. But I usually can hear that with listing only to 1-2 songs. 

But I totally don't care about looks at all. A band can look hot and horny but if they cannot play their instrument then I also don't care about them. 

But now days I almost do not listen to visual kei, most band pour out the same boring sound, I usually support bands with members around or over 40ties...

For me I know upon a first listen if I will try more, unless it's a band with a lot of variation then I will also try the other type of songs.

Number one requirement though is that I love the vocalist's voice, if I don't then no good for me. I'm really sensitive to different pitches and certain tones in the high range irrationally irritate me like listening to someone chew food.

Good quality bass is also required, I need to feel it in my head with EQ to keep me focused.