Sign in to follow this  
BrenGun

Reasons why bands disband so fast?!

Yo folks,

I'm wondering about your thought's why bands break up within 5 years.
Now days bands sometimes disband before they start or even give up within year.

Which reasons can be behind this, any thought's?

• A too big dream to get fast popular
  • Fan jealousy (Aka, it get's leaked that a member has a girlfriend or woman he shares the bed with)
  • Fan jealousy (Other kind of trouble)
  • Fan hate (For whatever reason)
  • Band jealousy (Yes, that also exists, sometimes other bands get Jealous and makes it almost impossible to continue)
  • Not be able to pay their dept
  • A member to be a dick to steal all money 
  • A member to be a dick to disappear out of nothing
  • A member leaves the band
  • Not supported by a live house anymore (Sometimes bands can play because they get support)
  • Lost connections (If they are friends of bands, its more easy to play at venues, etc)
  • Fired from a label (happens in secret too)
  • Bad sales
  • No real heart for music
  • Started a band only for money 
  • Thinking looks brings in money
  • Creating Trash music (Aka, can't really play their instruments)

That's what I think of...

If you look at rock and punk bands, they also are poor and have difficulties to gain money from fans and to gain fans isn't always that easy too. But they keep on going and work daily hard to pay for studio and band costs. And of course some longer living visual kei bands are also that way, only handful of fans, but yet going. Even if a member does leave the band, for whatever reason, bands keep on going. (often they only quit if a vocalist drops out the band)

If a band does go on a break or will disband after a year of 5... I would say, okay you have tried.  But anything lesser than that....

Also if a vocalist will leave a band, I agree of starting over under a new name. However it's not 100% necessary as we also saw bands going under the same name. 

So why are those young bands giving up this fast?

Do they really need to quit? 

MH reasons;

• musical differences 
  • laziness
  • Doing bands indefinetely is impossible. (decide to get a real job).
  • Can't deal with popularity
  • Member taken away to a different band

Edited by BrenGun

Sometimes young bands get popular too fast. Every band aims to be the big name in the scene, but when they actually get popular like, within two years or so it gets overwhelming to them. And everyone has different idea of popularity and ways to deal with it.

29 minutes ago, Masato said:

Real life kicks in and they realize they can not do bands indefinetely. They decide to get a real job.

I know enough bandman with a real job and being in a band.  So it's not an excuse.

49 minutes ago, ShTon said:

Sometimes young bands get popular too fast. Every band aims to be the big name in the scene, but when they actually get popular like, within two years or so it gets overwhelming to them. And everyone has different idea of popularity and ways to deal with it.

Some bands aren't popular, far from that.  At least most bands who disband within 2 years only have a few fans....

But not gaining many fans within an amount of time can give frustrating. and yes that can give different ideas.

But yet, if a band gets popular fast, not everyone can deal with it.

~~~~~~~~

but maybe jealousy inside a band can be a reason: Aka one guy is way more handsome and get all the chicks. ( ̄▽ ̄;)

I think laziness. They have this idea of what being in a band is like but when they realise all the effort that goes into it (promotion, recording, etc.) they get discouraged. 

You're in band called RHYOLITE and Tomomi recruits you because you're kawii and breaks your band up one month into activity, or you're in a band called Lad and a somewhat already prominent band recruits you into their band, or you're in a band called Zoro and Tomomi puts you into another band of hers.

1 hour ago, Masato said:

Real life kicks in and they realize they can not do bands indefinetely. They decide to get a real job.

+ Arguing of the members about what to play how aka musical differences (anyone who ever played in a band will understand easily).

Those two are definitly the main reasons. All those drama reasons you wrote are funny but not the main problems i think (while still exceptionally high in vk compared to other genres).

16 minutes ago, filth_y said:

+ Arguing of the members about what to play how aka musical differences (anyone who ever played in a band will understand easily).

Those two are definitly the main reasons. All those drama reasons you wrote are funny but not the main problems i think (while still exceptionally high in vk compared to other genres).

Yeah kind of true but, I doubts it's the main reason. If you start a band you would be stupid to join a band with someone with a totally different view and taste to music.  Of course we also do see it happen that a band announce themselves and then shortly after they will disband. 

btw, The reasons I wrote I point to VK and not for other genres, other genres often last way longer or even (almost) lifetime. While with VK dudes give up way more fast. I know many rock/punk bands and a bunch of them had so many member changes and always kept going without even to take a BREAK. No guitarist, alright next gig playing without, or even sometimes they already found someone to fill in. 

1 minute ago, Yukami said:

I will never understand what of "musical differences", why do not they speak it before starting a project?

Yes, exactly 

32 minutes ago, platy said:

I think laziness. They have this idea of what being in a band is like but when they realise all the effort that goes into it (promotion, recording, etc.) they get discouraged. 

Laziness is also a good point how you say it. Promotion also takes lot's of time and sometimes even if you pour in time you still gain no fans or fans who don't even join your gig. 

12 minutes ago, Yukami said:

I will never understand what of "musical differences", why do not they speak it before starting a project?

10 minutes ago, BrenGun said:

Yes, exactly 

I guess you two have never played in a band before? Its so common and the main problem in a band because mostly you have 5 people with 5 different opinions..

Maybe certains who had a contract with label and these hold more time because they had  a contrat respect.

In the beginning everyone is ok or maybe certains don't really  know what the music who  want. And this  gave musical difference or  differents opinion.

Maybe the young bands don't know  how the system is. Or the reality is different  or more difficult than they think.

25 minutes ago, filth_y said:

I guess you two have never played in a band before? Its so common and the main problem in a band because mostly you have 5 people with 5 different opinions..

True that, but yet why can so many bands with 5 members keep on going even with 5 different options? Somehow there should be a kind of good communication and just only 1 or 2 people who really composing things...

But I never hear my bandman friends complain about each other music taste.

Maybe it's also a matter of egoism? That if everyone created a song and you vote together which song is better and that you simply get annoyed if your song never will be chosen to turn into a song? 

Please explain it a bit more how you deal with it... I guess you are or was in a band? 
I mean, why the heck would you give up a band so fast which you have created, is different musical opinion really enough to break a band? or is it just a "small" thing which can be added to "other" stuff? 

20 minutes ago, Miku70 said:

Maybe certains who had a contract with label and these hold more time because they had  a contrat respect.

In the beginning everyone is ok or maybe certains don't really  know what the music who  want. And this  gave musical difference or  differents opinion.

Maybe the young bands don't know  how the system is. Or the reality is different  or more difficult than they think.

Yes, if a band joins a label they get a contract which they should hold on, bands also can kicked off a label if they don't sell enough CD's or maybe even don't get enough visitors to their gig. 

Also yes, young bands don't often know anything about the system and notice later on how difficult it actually is to be a bandman. The reality to be in a band is different and more difficult. 

47 minutes ago, filth_y said:

Yes I have been in one and at the beginning it was decided that style of music to play, although each one we have a different taste.

3 hours ago, Masato said:

This basically. And the scene is very different from any other scene in the west.

Also the pressure these guys have by the japanese society/elders/family etc, I can imagine it must be tough and I can definitely see why a lot of people give up "early" (five years is not early for a vk band tbh).  (I think that) unless these guys make it big very early on they usually quit because they realize it's not a viable career path. 

On the other hand you have guys like Yuuga and Kyouka who simply don't give a fuck. But not giving a fuck is harder in the japanese society than most western countries. 

3 hours ago, BrenGun said:

I know enough bandman with a real job and being in a band.  So it's not an excuse.

Well, depends on how serious/active you are?

Are you just playing locally on the weekends? Do you tour? Festivals? Instores? Promotions?

It can get hard time-wise and your job has to give you enough days off to do this in a flexible enough manner to coordinate with the other members. 

Do you have ambitions in your job? Wanna make a career? 

17 minutes ago, Masato said:

Well, depends on how serious/active you are?

Are you just playing locally on the weekends? Do you tour? Festivals? Instores? Promotions?

It can get hard time-wise and your job has to give you enough days off to do this in a flexible enough manner to coordinate with the other members. 

Do you have ambitions in your job? Wanna make a career? 

In that case you are right. 

Still there are bands who drop out 2-4 gigs a month. sometimes on a weekday otherwise at the weekend and on holidays.

And some guys also work hard to get 3 days off once in a while. 

But even with an okay career you can be serious in a band, it just depends on how flexible your bandmates are. 

And of course it depends on how greedy you are towards money. 

But not all visual kei bands do instores tho. 

And we know, without a good job you only can live from money FROM fans. And that's also what lot's of vkei dudes do. living on fan money and gifts.

Natural selection tbh ☠️

Just like many things in showbiz, people come and go, artists that actually genuine in what they do  will last for a long time, and have their name remembered, and those who are just products made by recording labels will never stand the test of time.

On 7/29/2018 at 4:25 AM, LIDL said:

Natural selection tbh ☠️

Just like many things in showbiz, people come and go, artists that actually genuine in what they do  will last for a long time, and have their name remembered, and those who are just products made by recording labels will never stand the test of time.

Also a good point, however some products made by recording labels stands long or even lifetime isn't. 
But let's call it: Pushed by recording label.

Sign in to follow this