Sign in to follow this  
suji

3 members will depart from Gargoyle

It's fucking over. I have loved Gargoyle for years (own all of their albums, their EPs, most of their various re-recordings, that massive 10 DVD boxset, etc.) and seeing this news earlier this morning has ruined my day. Toshi was there from the very beginning in 1987 and Katsuji joined a year later. Kentaro came into the picture a little later (1994) and replaced She-ja (along with Yotaro who later left in 2001). These aren't just random saps leaving. It's the lifeblood of the band. Even if Kiba decides it's solo project time (keep in mind he's like 52, it would be a logical time to call it quits) but with Gargoyle's name, it wouldn't be the same band. It's basically the end.

Quite a shame really. It's like a piece of history is ending to me. Gargoyle was one of Japan's earlier thrash metal bands and easily one of the most creative ones. Hell, they're one of the most weird/creative thrash metal bands period. I never would have guessed their last album in 2016 would end up being their last one. 31 quality years is not a bad run. RIP one of my all time favorite bands.

Edited by Dudemanguy

Wow, this is......... wow. They were one of the few J-metal bands I actually checked up on from time to time, always delivering quality stuff.

Curious about the future of this band now... 😕

Wow, this is surreal. Dudemanguy already covered the history and so for that reason alone it's hard to believe... Just the longevity of the core group. One of the best Japanese bands ever. Really sad. I thought they would break up the group before doing something like this at this stage. Anyway, will be interesting to see how KIBA moves going forward.

Just some notes from reading the page to the best of my ability, Toshi pretty much started it. Of course these things are never concrete, but Toshi talks about how he was reaching his limit in the past few years with the band's activities. He had an important meeting with Kiba and the other members, but in the end, Toshi and Kiba simply could not come to any agreement. So Toshi decided to focus on another life and leave the band. Katsuji himself doesn't say it, but Toshi's comment says that his withdrawal also caused Katsuji and Kentaro to leave. Kentaro seems like the last person here, he mentions having to make a decision between continuing with just Kiba or also leaving with the other two and in the end he choose the later.

Kiba does specifically say that he will continue on. How? I have no idea. He even mentions he thought a lot about formally breaking up the band and not wanting to sully their name, but in the end he decided to press forward.

Edited by Dudemanguy

Sign in to follow this