Sign in to follow this  
saiko

Origins of fan-service.

Hi!

I've always wondered about how did the homoeroticism imaginary got into the scene. At least for me, the whole "fan-service" thing went straight to the point of being one of the most distinctive tropes of the scene today, being solidary to the whole gender-bending atmosphere.

I suppose many of you guys here acknowledge the fact that bands like Buck-tick, D'ERLANGER, Kuroyume and Penicillin have been bringing this kind of aesthetic during the early days.

What do you think it was the meaning or the intention behind it? Was it pure fujoshi-gya-aimed stuff since the beggining?  Was it instead part of their concept? Can we consider this a little more than just another showman skill? Was it inspired by yaoi anime/manga and the whole bishounen trope? Or was it somehow connected with the british post-punk scene? (perhaps, they actually could have acknowledged Bowie's or Morrisey's statements on their gender/sexuality on their lyrics? But explicit erotic antics between bandmates is something that only the japanese do, as far as I'm concerned).

Let's talk!💜

5 hours ago, nekkichi said:

gay sauna culture ingrained in label executives and its impact x

BDJBFHJADBSFHJHVAGS

12 hours ago, saiko said:

But explicit erotic antics between bandmates is something that only the japanese do, as far as I'm concerned

While we're on the subject of David Bowie, it's also worth mentioning his live antics with guitarist Mick Ronson back around 1973... :D

L1g2PUv.jpg

(dunno if this is the earliest example that could count as 'fanservice' tho XD)

Edited by Jigsaw9

2 hours ago, Jigsaw9 said:

While we're on the subject of David Bowie, it's also worth mentioning his live antics with guitarist Mick Ronson back around 1973... :D

L1g2PUv.jpg

(dunno if this is the earliest example that could count as 'fanservice' tho XD)

Thank you so much for this!

Epic shoot! 😍😍😍

Did the fact that these antics happened got spread into the Japanese fans? How could it be received by them? Perhaps, we have to consider that the mere concept of "fan-service" (which is a wasei-eigo term, ファンサービス,  a Japanese-language expressions based on English words or parts of word combinations, that do not exist in standard English or whose meanings differ from the words from which they were derived ) makes the homoerotic antics and aesthetic get a different statute in the concept that a scene has over the music and performance. For instance, this stuff is well-known in the Japanese culture in general. But in the case of Bowie, or the one of the scene in which he took part, I've never found this fact being highlighted by anyone in the stories I've read from him and his career. It makes me think about the intersections between the official story of Bowie's carreer and the unofficial one, I mean, how our (homophobic) culture treats some facts signifcantly different than it does with others...

Btw, I figured out it would be cool to have at least a little stock of West "fan-service" culture in music artists, independently of whether visual-kei gay antics were directly influenced by West totally, parcially or whatever...

5 hours ago, saiko said:

Btw, I figured out it would be cool to have at least a little stock of West "fan-service" culture in music artists,

Nick Jonas fandom

Shawn Mendez fandom

end of list

Sign in to follow this