fitear1590

Chinese "exoticism" PVs in Japanese music

I don't have some grand thesis about this phenomenon, but UNiTE.'s new music video reminded me of it.  Know any other Japanese bands that use "Chinese" inspiration in a song or video (costumes, setting, or even influences in the music)? Post here and feel free to discuss!

ユナイト / UNiTE.

D

Czecho No Republic

(If the embed doesn't work, play it on YouTube)

女王蜂 / Ziyoou-Vachi / QUEEN BEE

thumb_inbox_600.jpg
(Non-YouTube PV link for "スリラ/Thriller": http://www.nicovideo.jp/watch/sm26772980)

I thought you said "Chinese Exorcism" at first and was concerned 

Does Byakura count? I'm not sure how much of traditional Japanese and Chinese cultures overlap, and if bands that use that as a theme borrow from both.

Secilia Luna also seemed to have a bunch of ties to Taiwan, but I don't think it really became an influence in their music since Raphael never did it

Somehow due to Japans position of "cultural imperialism" Japanese bands mimicking other Asian cultures makes me extremely uncomfortable every time I see it. It's a bit different from playing French aristocrats. But then again, I do not actually know how Chinese people feel about it. 

Edited by hyura

Keep 'em coming, everyone! Karma Shenjing is the most surprising to me so far. Never heard of them!

8 hours ago, hyura said:

Somehow due to Japans position of "cultural imperialism" Japanese bands mimicking other Asian cultures makes me extremely uncomfortable every time I see it. It's a bit different from playing French aristocrats. But then again, I do not actually know how Chinese people feel about it. 

Are there examples of Japanese bands mimicking other Asian cultures (I can think of a handful of vaguely "Indian" ones, but that's about it; I wonder if Korean ones exist...) or were you mainly thinking outside of the music world? And yeah, I would be interested in reading critical perspectives on this kind of thing.

18 hours ago, Peace Heavy mk II said:

I thought you said "Chinese Exorcism" at first and was concerned

Dammit, now I'm sad I wasn't able to deliver on that front.

18 hours ago, Peace Heavy mk II said:

since Raphael never did it

Lol, luv u.