Seelentau

DIR EN GREY released their 10th album "The Insulated World" on September 26, 2018

You have a point there. I've only spun each once and wasn't too impressed... at least the artwork is cool. Obviously digital productions pressed to analog are always funny.

I am still on pre-ordered status on Amazon JP, chose the limited edition ones since I never really care much for their Live DVD bonuses. So I think that version is the most value for money tbh.

@blacktooth Definitely nice for the big artwork. I'm for sure no expert, but I think a huge amount of releases nowadays are sourced digitally? There are a lot of times I read the source of vinyl records being from "16-bit masters" or something like that. They usually sound pretty great too. In any case, vinyl > blue spec 2 CD amirite?

It's great from a collector's perspective even if the vinyl itself is iffy. Producers and engineers are getting better at mastering for vinyl these days, but when a band like Dir en grey insists on using 2004 iPod optimized production, it's not great.

But anyway, if I like the artwork for this new album maybe I'll preorder it.

Where did you find this? I’m guessing this is Ranunculus because it’s slow and ballad-ish. It sounds good from what little I can make out although it sounds more like a sukekiyo song tbh. I’m hoping we get some more aggressive stuff since I can listen to sukekiyo for this style.

I like the guitar tones going on here. You've got their classic chorus-flange pedal thing going on (they don't do it enough anymore) and a very bright mandolin-sounding tone too. I know the recorder pulled the mic away for some dynamics, but hopefully we won't have to do the same with the final mix.

Yeah I've heard that too. I agree with Kelrya, it made me think more of Sukekiyo than DeG actually. It sounds like it's the studio version as well (you can hear there are two vocal lines at points - the last time I saw Kyo using pre-recorded backing vocals live was on that bonus DVD of The Rose Trims Again with the Uroboros songs). I suppose people from the a-knot fan club (or whatever is called) receive the previews first? (I remember a person mentioning they got the Arche previews before the general public back then, and there's also that Rinkaku sample). Or maybe it was someone who works on the studio with them that recorded that with their cellphones to extort people :P