Seelentau

DIR EN GREY released their 10th album "The Insulated World" on September 26, 2018

Yessssss. Looks futuristic and modern. No more Latin BS and classic oriental sounding avant-garde stuff.

GIVE ME TRAP EDM DIR EN GREY. 

whenever people complain about dir sounding the same since like 2012, i always imagine what'd people say if they sounded as stale as lynch lmao

their new album preview legit sounded all like songs i've heard before, with just different notes in the melodies 

i  take the last 4 re recorded tracks as an example for the mood of this album +  ningen wo kaburu and it gives a clue about how this album is going to sound like.well...i'm guessing lots of nu metal grooves and those little electronic effects like on SUSTAIN THE UNTRUTH

Edited by Manji 卍

1 hour ago, matthazell said:

whenever people complain about dir sounding the same since like 2012, i always imagine what'd people say if they sounded as stale as lynch lmao

their new album preview legit sounded all like songs i've heard before, with just different notes in the melodies 

Well, not since 2012, but Utafumi and Ningen wo Kaburu sound like Arche leftovers. Hell, Ningen sounds like they crammed almost all of Arche into three and a half minutes. 

47 minutes ago, Saishu said:

Well, not since 2012, but Utafumi and Ningen wo Kaburu sound like Arche leftovers. Hell, Ningen sounds like they crammed almost all of Arche into three and a half minutes. 

No way. Stylistically they have a lot in common with Sustain the Untruth and feature those signature Kaoru grooves typical of this “era”; but that’s really it. 

Kyos vocal delivery is also totally different. On Arche he relied on death growls and theyre virtually non existent on Utafumi, Ningen o kaburu, or the Ash remake. 

Lets not forget that Arche developed over time and the band progressed through different styles in just that period alone. So maybe on one Arche song they may feel like “leftovers” but compared to tracks such as The Inferno and Soshaku they’re rather different. 

Edited by geist

hopefully the budget went into mastering those tracks cuz that was one sad promo...

There are death growls in Utafumi. He’s been doing more mid range screaming lately though which isn’t really his strong suit in my opinion. Unless there’s a ton of distortion like WtD/MoaB era they sound kinda weak. The first chorus in the remake of IIID Empire is pathetic sounding tbh. It sounded like there were a few growls on Ningen wo Kaburu but the mix is trash so who can tell for sure. There were definitely growls at the end of the IIID Empire remake but again everything is buried in the mix. From what I read at the time it sounds like the new song they played at the DSS tour in 2016 sounded like their DSS era so I’m looking forward to hearing that one.

Edited by Kelrya

When I say Arche leftovers, I mean both songs wouldn’t be out of place on the album, not that it sounds like particular songs (even though Ningen has some Un Deux moments). 

Also, Arche had way less harsh vocals than previous albums. 

while ningen was tame for dir, i have to say, i still prefer it way over Utafuckme

at least musically it was more interesting while uta was obviously made to be new concert closer material for kyo to crackle on

Imo, Utafumi was way more ARCHE-shi and Ningen wo Kaburu sounds like part of a new DeG era,just like Sustain the Untruth 

Edited by Manji 卍

It's very hard to tell what exactly is their style right now before the album comes out, because that's when they break out of the three minute single formula with the growly verses and poppy chorus melodies. There are hints, and I agree with Geist that some, even fairly major things have happened and Kyo's vocal performance is the biggest one. He has really let loose after Arche on Sukekiyo and on the Dir en grey singles, and I can't wait to see whether the compositions can hold their end on that front. I don't care about the "style" of music they play as long as they just manage to let go and experiment with the style and be spontaneous, different etc. Much like Sukekiyo did with their last album ( and that album still is so fucking good and it has held up 100% since it's release. There's just no way the well insulated room can ever live up to it  )