Seelentau

DIR EN GREY released their 10th album "The Insulated World" on September 26, 2018

Hey I noticed someone posted the individual writer credits for TIW. Where can I find them for other albums (eould love to see them for Uroboros, DSS, and Arche).

Enjoying TIW so far, though after four years and following up the last three albums, it's quite underwhelming. Feel like they didn't expand enough on songs and ideas.

I like the new album, it's not my favorite of them but i like it...

My Personal Top DIR EN GREY Albums:

01-UROBOROS [Remastered & Expanded]

02-DUM SPIRO SPERO

03-The Insulated World

04-ARCHE

05-THE MARROW OF A BONE

06-Withering to death.

07-Kisou

08-VULGAR

09-MACABRE

10-GAUZE

And  for now this is my TIW TOP TRACKS:

01-Zetsuentai

02-Keigaku No Yoku

03-Aka

04-Celebrate Empty Howls

05-Followers

06-Downfall

07-Ranunculus

08-Utafumi

09-Ningen Wo Kaburu

10-Keibetsu To Hajimari

11-Values Of Madness

12-Devote My Life

13-Rubbish Heap

PD: I LOVE ALL REMAKES, SPECIALLY The Deeper Vilness. :D

Edited by ZudokatoKuroO

32 minutes ago, ZudokatoKuroO said:

02-DUM SPIRO SPERO

03-The Insulated World

04-ARCHE

05-THE MARROW OF A BONE

06-Withering to death.

07-Kisou

08-VULGAR

09-MACABRE

10-GAUZE

Surely this is in reverse order? There are many here who would burn you at the stake for putting the holy quadrinity dead last 😂

34 minutes ago, nullmoon said:

Surely this is in reverse order? There are many here who would burn you at the stake for putting the holy quadrinity dead last 😂

actually i partially agree with the list above. never was a fan of gauze, but although i would put macabre, vulgar, and kisou above withering and marrow

this album WAS interesting. but by far, uroboros, dss and vulgar are my favorites

(arche and withering is ok, kisou and macabre are classics, but marrow is hard to love except for a few tracks)

without trying deviate from the thread, insulated was balanced in quirkiness, productions, and a few kick's. not the best, but average.

i am still waiting for the disc 2 rips tho ! :) kigan sounds interesting.

Seems like TIW really is just MOAB 2.0 after all, fortunately it has more redeeming songs than MOAB so far. Shame about the production and pacing, however, it makes the album hard to digest...

1 hour ago, ZudokatoKuroO said:

02-DUM SPIRO SPERO

03-The Insulated World

04-ARCHE

05-THE MARROW OF A BONE

06-Withering to death.

07-Kisou

08-VULGAR

09-MACABRE

10-GAUZE

I would assume you are becoming a fan after listening to Vinushka too. :P

The only track is strongly hate is UTAFUMI, which is surprising because it's like my second favorite single of theirs... Of their entire discography.  That's how much I love that single. I appreciate the raw-er vocals, but why does it sound like a live demo recorded on a phone, then someone broadcasted it on radio, and what was put on CD was a phone recording uploaded to youtube of the radio broadcast. It sounds really fucking weird compared to everything on the album.

Edited by Kiyoharu is God

1 hour ago, platanity said:

actually i partially agree with the list above. never was a fan of gauze, but although i would put macabre, vulgar, and kisou above withering and marrow

I think it's genuinely interesting that everyone has such different lists when it comes to this band. I listened through all their albums recently in the lead up to TIW and Gauze really shone for me in particular :)

7 minutes ago, Kiyoharu is God said:

The only track is strongly hate is UTAFUMI, which is surprising because it's like my second favorite single of theirs... Of their entire discography.  That's how much I love that single. I appreciate the raw-er vocals, but why does it sound like a live demo recorded on a phone, then someone broadcasted it on radio, and what was put on CD was a phone recording uploaded to youtube of the radio broadcast. It sounds really fucking weird compared to everything on the album.

I have the exact same sentiments and will be replacing the album version with the single version ASAP. 

Save the one-take versions for future bonus tracks, don't put it on the album we've been waiting 4 years for. 

36 minutes ago, Kiyoharu is God said:

I would not say it is that bad, but it is indeed a very bloated and busy sound, it is hard to listen.

The other two rerecordings are fine, but i'm not feeling that new version of Kigan at all

12 hours ago, sebbivism said:

Anyone actually received their preorder yet? I chose DHL Express and my is expected tomorrow...

I actually assumed it would be here already today since CDJapan shipped it yesterday morning (Japan time)

I got mine today. It was by DHL as well. It only take one day since the tracking report said it was shipped on Wednesday, at 12.15 PM 👌

50 minutes ago, Saishu said:

How about you explain why it isnt?

"Riyuu" is the normal reading of the kanji, but Kyo decided it should be "wake", an alternative reading. It's the same with Karma, which is usually read as "gyou" or "waza". Those names are leftovers from the vkei craze back in the day, I suppose. Like Tooru Nishimura.

Sorry if I came off as condescending or arrogant btw, I'm just genuinely surprised, since even the English OHP gives the name as "wake". But then again, I suppose most fans don't care about this.

Anyway, the remake is very nice, I like the additional part. I don't have an opinion on the other two tracks. They're alright, I guess.

Edited by Seelentau

Kigan is ruined. I can't say much more. It's a terrible re-imagining which doesn't at all preserve the feeling of the song. The VICTIMIZATION part lost it's impact completely.

THE DEEPER VILENESS was amazing. I'm not surprised at all, and personally with the mood and ferocity the band seems to display right now I wouldn't mind a complete re-recording of THE MARROW OF A BONE.

Wake just sounds like Wake, it's not bad at all but I fail to see the point of re-recording it. The solo sounds lazier and that's about it. Dir en grey at this point was all about simple repetitive/hypnotic solos and I don't enjoy when they try to do some feel-y wank-y stuff out of it. Let's hope they never re-record audience KILLER LOOP.

The thing is calling it “riyuu” isn’t wrong. Anyone that speaks japanese would read the kanji as such, and I don’t think the average DEG fan knows that Kyo decided to call it “wake”. And that in and of itself is weird because from what I understand, “wake” is used in casual conversation, but when reading the kanji it’s always “riyuu”. It doesn’t really matter since it means the same thing either way, but I don’t think this is a case where there’s a wrong way to say it. 

In other news, the Kigan remake is complete ASS TRASH. Is it supposed to be a chiptune?

also also, going by the syncopated riffage in Aka and Rubbish Heap, I think maybe Die is getting into the modern post prog djent core whatever stuff. 

Edited by Saishu

I use “riyuu” when speaking in Japanese (my gf is Japanese and I’ve never heard her pronounce it “wake”) but the song itself is definitely supposed to be pronounced “wake”. The Japanese fan community cares a lot about the correct pronunciation and checks the reading Kyo uses.

Edited by Kelrya

訳 is used differently grammatically but yeah. Kyo really likes to be clever and obscure with his Kanji use. The lyrics to 理由 have so many outdated alternate Kanji that my gf can’t even read it. 

I actually really like the Kigan remake although I never had a huge emotional attachment to the original. I like the more aggressive chorus while retaining the feel of the verses but I can understand someone not liking the changes since the atmosphere is different even if the composition hasn’t changed much.

Edited by Kelrya