Seelentau

DIR EN GREY released their 10th album "The Insulated World" on September 26, 2018

I think the biggest kii of this shit album is that last time Kyo had his REAL DEEP DEPRESSION HOURS phase they came up with withering to death.

this entire mess would have benefited 20x if they released a 5 3 track mini with the passable/good tracks, and left the singles and ranunculus for the for an actually good album pushed back by a year.

downfall sounds like fucking sadie ripping off TMOAB

Edited by nekkichi

I finally got to listen to the whole thing tonight. As others pointed out, it's hard to judge a DeG album on it's first listen. I really didn't like DSS at all when it first came out, and it slowly grew on me, so I'll reserve any negative feelings on the album until I've heard it at least 3 or 4 times all the way through.
So far, I like about 8 out of the 13 songs, so that's a pretty solid score.
I think the most honest thing I can say after the first listen is that I hope they don't go 4 years between releases again. I think a big part of my opinion on the album is that we had a long wait to build up anticipation. I wonder how people's feelings would been if this kind of album just came out a year after Arche.

This album is all over the place and it's quite hard to form a solid opinion of it after one or two listens. I expected something much more generic like a more boring arche but I'm pleasantly surprised that there is some interesting ideas thrown in. Even though the albums inconsistent as heck, there's a high possibility of it growing on me.

2 hours ago, Tokage said:

anyway, CHE DO A RA vs NINTH vs THE INSULATED WORLD - ultimate 2018 hypebeast album free for all, who winnin here?????

CHE DO A RA >>>>>>>>>>>>>>> TIW>>NINTH.

8 hours ago, Kelrya said:

Lol you would hate mathcore then (Converge, Botch, Vein, early Norma Jean, etc.) Personally I love it when it’s done well but it’s not for everyone.

GTFO with that shit, dude. I love Converge, Botch abd old Norma Jean, but I agree with Saishu.

That’s fine? I wasn’t trying to be an asshole or anything. Sorry if I sounded elitist or something. Personally I like that song because it reminds me of that style but fit into a DEG mold.

Credits:
1. Keibetsu to hajimari (Kaoru) 
2. Devote My Life (Toshiya) 
3. Ningen wo kaburu (Kaoru) 
4. Celebrate Empty Howls (Kaoru) 
5. Utafumi (Kaoru) 
6. Rubbish Heap (Die) 
7. Aka (Die) 
8. Values of Madness (Toshiya) 
9. Downfall (Kaoru) 
10. Followers (Kaoru) 
11. Keigaku no yoku (Kaoru) 
12. Zetsuentai (Kaoru) 
13. Ranunculus (Kaoru)

Aka sounds like Die's song alright. Kinda shocked, that Toshiya wrote Values of Madness.

Oof idk the second half (like so many have mentioned) is where this album shines. The first half is not only exhausting but melds together without having any outstanding stand out tracks. Honestly some of it is plain noise. With that being said I wouldn't say it's a bad album its surprisingly listenable all the way through. Perhaps it's the production that is throwing me off. 

I assumed Toshiya wrote Devote My Life since he wrote Midwife. I knew he wrote Values of Madness since I listened to his radio interview the other day when he debuted it but I didn’t know the others (I mean I could guess the first track was Kaoru lol) so thanks for posting. Strange that there are no Shinya songs and only two Die songs. Shinya said in an interview recently that it was more collaborative and he couldn’t say for sure who the main songwriter for each song was.

15 minutes ago, Kelrya said:

I assumed Toshiya wrote Devote My Life since he wrote Midwife. I knew he wrote Values of Madness since I listened to his radio interview the other day when he debuted it but I didn’t know the others (I mean I could guess the first track was Kaoru lol) so thanks for posting. Strange that there are no Shinya songs and only two Die songs. Shinya said in an interview recently that it was more collaborative and he couldn’t say for sure who the main songwriter for each song was.

Well, Devote My Life sounds like a typical strangest song on the album (after all, he wrote Egnirys and Midwife). But Values of Madness is so straightforward, so unusual for Toshiya.

Holy shit! The Insulated World is on Tidal!

its also on US iTunes twice? There’s a Sun-Krad version for $12 and a Firewall version for $15...

both have the same tracks. 

The $15 version says I can “complete my album” for $14 since I already bought the Ningen single, which is funny because Ningen has a new mix. 

Edited by Saishu

Only reading the lyrics to Ningen wo Kaburu properly today. There's a weird linein it "残響Twelve"... So is the whole song about the main chatacter "Twelve" from the anime 残響のテロル (Zankyo no Terror)!? It kinda fits the rest of the lyrics too 😂

9 hours ago, geist said:

Man, this album is great. After a few listens have your thoughts changed or updated? After two full listens and relistens to several tracks, I’m obsessed with it. There is still so much to process; but overall I’ve been tremendously pleased and can’t wait to hear those re-recordings on disc 2. 

I've been listening to this album in my sleep. I'm a big fan of how this album opens up at the end, but i really don't like "Ranunculus".

13 minutes ago, Saishu said:

Okay I’m listening with headphones now and good lord this album sounds awful. I’m going to punch Kaoru in his face. 

I did the same thing on my first listen. The album was almost unlistenable, especially the first half. Played around with the equalizer and managed to make it somewhat bearable.

35 minutes ago, Saishu said:

Okay I’m listening with headphones now and good lord this album sounds awful. I’m going to punch Kaoru in his face. 

Yeo. For real though, what was the band thinking? Seriously brick walled.

I think the final cymbal crash in Downfall sums it up. It sounds like Shinya dropped a handful of hubcaps in a trash can. And that’s one of the rare moments you can even hear him hitting a cymbal!

On the bright side, if less dynamic range is better, then this album wins. My foobar addon gives all their songs 4-5DR, which is their new record. Also, all these solid bricks mean the record won't topple over even in hurricane season. A+/11

I should point out that I’m listening to a Tidal Hi-fi download, which means this is lossless quality. I’m not getting my hopes up for the CD sounding any better. I won’t know personally until I get it Monday. 

Changing album tags to THE BRICKWALLED WORLD

Edited by Saishu