Seelentau

DIR EN GREY released their 10th album "The Insulated World" on September 26, 2018

Just finished giving my first listen, and for me, the second half of the album is stronger starting with 赫 (Aka). The songs that were released in previous singles do fit nicely with the rest of the album so the flow isn't disrupted. 

I was so excited for Downfall since the preview really piqued my interest, but it came out to be a completely different kind of song than what I was expecting lol So far my favorite tracks are 赫 (Aka), Followers, and 絶縁体 (Zetsuentai). Did anyone catch that bass line at the beginning of 赫 (Aka)? LOVED IT.

Edited by raspberrynilla

2 minutes ago, nullmoon said:

Unpopular opinion: I think I'm the only person here who isn't blown away by the new album. Maybe it'll take more listens but barely any of the tracks are grabbing me at the moment. [...]

Ranunculus is the stand out track to me. 赫, Followers, and 谿壑の欲 interested me the most I think. The rest just washed over me.

I actually agree. I'm not expecting to be blown away, but 詩踏み set my expectations very low, so I think I'm just really excited 'cause nothing I've heard yet sucks. I think I'm more excited to hear the re-recordings though, so I'm still waiting impatiently over here... *tries to remember how long it took ARCHE DISC 2 to leak*

18 minutes ago, geist said:

What else was added to Ranunculus? It's over 30 seconds longer than the promotional edit so it seems like there's a bit more than just one line of vocals missing.

One sentence and the longer opening/ending. As I said it would be :^)

Lyrics are up on the wiki, but some words of the translations are missing due to bad source photos.

Aka to me is like the third part in a trilogy. Lotus, Rinkaku and Aka. They all have a similar feel. Instrumentally heavy but beautiful.

So far I’m loving the album. My only complaints would be the really compressed production (I really prefer the production and mixing on the last two albums), the weird crackly clipping that appears on some of the harsh vocals, and the lack of more long songs/progressive song structures. But overall it’s great. The lyrics to Devote My Life are pretty concerning to me though after a lot of high profile cases of musicians/celebrities committing suicide or overdosing recently. I usually like depressing lyrics but not when they are this straightforward. Hopefully he’s just trying to be grimdark and edgy.

Edited by Kelrya

2 hours ago, Seelentau said:

They forgot to translate a part of Rubbish Heap

This album is a mess 😂

They also included wrong lyrics for Utafumi...

Was the production of the booklet rushed or something? Never seen so many mistakes before.

1 minute ago, Seelentau said:

Was the production of the booklet rushed or something? Never seen so many mistakes before.

They did say they pushed this one closer to the deadline than ever before.

1 minute ago, Seelentau said:

wouldnt be surprised, the members themselves said this was the most rushed they've ever been to meet a deadline, so odds are production was rushed too and overlooked minute details

That explains the three production mistakes. Damn. Now I want to buy it even more, in case they release a fixed version as they did with the Shibuya-AX DVD. :D

Edit: Ah, I'm dumb. The Utafumi lyrics are complete, I just can't see the last part (さあ~) on the picture I have.

Edited by Seelentau

Kinda makes me wonder what they could have done if they had more time to write and produce. I'm really liking this album; but it's very rough around the edges.

2nd listen through. 

My favorites are:

- Keibetsu to Hajimari

- Rubbish Heap

- Aka

- Zetsuentai

Every song is amazing, in their own ways. Gotta digest it some more, but this is definitely my favorite Dir en grey album, ever.

So, do you think this album has the similar feel as Ninth from Gazette? Shorter, simpler and e.t.c.?

...Also, somehow it seems more live-friendly than Arche.

5 hours ago, Ro plz said:

I can smell the jealousy and envy on this post. Holy crap lmaooo. He was using the radio rip 😂😂😂

No hate/jealousy whatsoever. I own some backlash stuff but I definitely have never gotten the attraction to CH. looks corny AF and the dudes from creed used to wear it. WITH AAAAAAAHMS WIIIDE OOOPAAAAAN

Edited by Dyingmoments

55 minutes ago, Kelrya said:

Aka to me is like the third part in a trilogy. Lotus, Rinkaku and Aka. They all have a similar feel. Instrumentally heavy but beautiful.

So far I’m loving the album. My only complaints would be the really compressed production (I really prefer the production and mixing on the last two albums), the weird crackly clipping that appears on some of the harsh vocals, and the lack of more long songs/progressive song structures. But overall it’s great.

I came to say similar things! 'Aka' really feels like 'Rinkaku pt. 2', I love it!

Overall, I'm enjoying the album a lot! Especially the second half. It feels like a missing link between 'Dum Spiro Spero' and 'Arche', and while the songs are less layered than before, they still have a lot of interesting things to unearth with each new listen.

The mixing/engineering would be my main complain. There's so much compression and clipping on the harsh vocals and on the distorted guitars (they sound so horrible...). Hope the CD rip has a better quality, but my hopes are low.

I also do not like how the album flows during the first half. A different song order would have done wonders. Maybe this is because I'm a sucker for conceptual albums, but I would have loved for it to have a better pacing. The last four songs flow so amazingly, especially how 'Zetsuentai' segues into 'Ranunculus'.

Speaking of pacing, 'Ningen...' and 'Utafumi' really feel out of place and kind of break the flow for me. I like the new vocals for both songs, but they seem to be on a different kind of vibe than the rest of the songs on the album. 

Also, everything seems really rushed. The second half seems far more polished than the first, with songs that are more 'progressive' and less in your face. I'm really loving songs like 'Keigaku no Yoku' that seem to achieve a lot of the styles and overtones of the band in just 4 and half minutes (even when I feel it ends too abruptly).

Song by song, I would briefly say:

'Keibetsu to Hajimari': amazing album opener, I like the energy on this track a lot!

'Devote My Life': really digging the mathcore riffing here. I like how this flows with the first track like if they were just one song.

'Ningen o kaburu': feels really out of place. I like the new vocals, but yet it seems like a song that's on the wrong album.

'Celebrate Empty Howls': loving this! Reminds me of 'Untouchables'-era Korn a lot! The extra percussion really works, and Kyo's clean are incredible!

'Utafumi': I really like the new vocals, sans the backing ones. Not as out of place as 'Ningen...'; maybe I'm just tired of this song.

'Rubbish Heap': it's like 'The Inferno pt. 2', but with better songrwritting and with one of the best climaxes on the album! (AMAZING vocal lines).

'Aka': as said before, 'Rinkaku pt. 2'. I was hoping for an album full of songs like this. I really like this post-metal/gaze vibe. Very beautiful.

'Values of Madness': placed after 'Aka', kind of breaks the flow, but again, same thing happened with 'Rinkaku' followed by 'Chain Repulsion' on 'ARCHE' and I got used by it. Love the song, but the extra section does nothing for me though (I prefer the promo edit).

'Downfall': love the riffing, even some black metal-esque tremolo riffing in there. Even if it is the shortest song on the album, there's a lot of things going on.

'Followers': reminds me of songs like 'Behind a Vacant Image', really digging it.

'Keigaku no Yoku': on of my favourites in the album. Too bad it ends so abruptly. Love the eerie atmosphere. It's like 'Diabolos' little brother.

'Zetsuentai': best on the album for me... But well, I'm that kind of people that would love a total progressive Dir en grey album.

'Ranunculus': love how well connected to the previous track it is! The extra sections make the song sound fuller, especially the ending. Amazing way to end the album.

After one listen I'm kind of conflicted. I agree with everyone that said the second half is much stronger, but there are a few good riffs in the first half. I need to listen to this more but I was definitely expecting something a bit more melodic. There's a very hardcore-esque energy to the majority of the album but not many hooks IMO. Which is fine, but not my preferred style of DEG stuff.

Random side note but the opening guitar in Aka reminds me a lot of Red...[em]. I wonder if that was intentional? (Aka/red)

Edited by StriderSubzero

26 minutes ago, EvilHippy said:

So, do you think this album has the similar feel as Ninth from Gazette? Shorter, simpler and e.t.c.?

...Also, somehow it seems more live-friendly than Arche.

I don't know if the music is similar, but somehow I do feel the same now as I did after first hearing Ninth. Both are fairly straight-forward records that follow more conceptual, heavy and ambitious projects. And both, while not bad, left me feeling a bit unfulfilled.

7 minutes ago, blacktooth said:

I think rearranging the track order could do this album great justice to fix the flow and balance it out better. Got any suggestions? 

I think 'Ningen...' as the album opener would be interesting. Maybe I just would love for it to get out of the way soon, but then, it has an appropiate intro and outro, which would connect well with the actual first two songs on the album ('Keibetsu...' and 'Devote My Life'). Regarding the rest, I need time to think of an specific order, but I would love for it to be an 'A-side'/'B-side' album with the heavier tracks on the first half and the more experimental/progressive/atmospheric/whatever tracks on the second half. Kind of what we got, but even better placed.

Edited by Rosner
Typos!

I do like the A/B thing this album has going but the pacing is a big issue. I rarely leave Deg album tracklistings be so I'll probably be tweaking some things around for a while.