Seelentau

DIR EN GREY released their 10th album "The Insulated World" on September 26, 2018

Next one is a new song - or what is now called as new new song. First new song after the ones in Shinsekai. I sooooo dig this one. It started with Shinya’s angry solo drums. Crowd was in awe. The song, for me, is headbang the whole way through. I don’t know with others but that’s how I did it. How would I describe it? I wish I can. That last Kaoru note in Utafumi, Shinya went straight to drumming after it and it was mad while Kaoru sustained his notes. Shinya’s drum lines are fast, so quick with Kaoru creeping slowly into the song. I think Toshiya came next and his lines are really low as Kyo sang. Then Die and Kaoru combo killed it. I shivered a lot. It’s fast with a slow, deep headbang motion in the pre chorus and chorus. If I can compare with another song it’s like a cross between Juuyoku and Decayed Crow but only in the chorus maybe? But yes, this new new song is so reminiscent of DSS for me. I really like the guitars. And i rarely say this. If i close my eyes I can hear Kaoru. Oh oh oh and how can I forget! Like almost in all their new songs, Kaoru did back up on this song - so passionately. What I noticed is that whenever they play a new song for the very first time, Kaoru would do back up. Die also did back up on this song with Kaoru on the pre chorus. Toshiya managed the chorus on his own. I remember Toshiya ended the song with a bass slide. So friggin’ sexy!

New new song. The Shinya drum intro song. I remember Kaoru shouting so loudly over the mic during his back up. I loved this new new song. I wonder what name it will have. I can’t remember but there was this one song where the pictures of white western males were flashed on screen. I think it was this song but at this point I cannot remember anymore. I want to hear this song again.

After hearing the other new song for the 2nd time, I now firmly believed it was the same song from the mode of DSS. Headbang from start to finish. There was no way my body would remember the hand and head movements if I have not been familiar with it before. If I will compare it to other songs… hmmm… it kinda reminded me of songs from Arche. Like Inferno or Midwife. Also a part of the lyrics were flashed on the screen. I only remember the kanji for “waratte”. I told myself i’ll remember but well, I forgot. Pfft. It was flashed in an ominous looking red font behind a solid black background.

from http://theghostinmyroom.tumblr.com

It's pretty weird for me to see how much criticism Shinya's drumming gets because I always had him as one of my favorite drummers. Of course he doesn't really work as a "metal" drummer but his style is pretty unique, reminds me of Nick Mason from Pink Floyd with all the weird tom rolls and weird accents. When it comes to live performances I agree that he doesn't always replicate his drumlines perfectly, but on his defense he developed stress fracture of the ribs around 2011 from overtouring (they talk about that on one of the Age Quod Agis DVDs but I don't remember which  one) and aparently never recovered from that (and well, he is on his 40s, he doesn't really has all the physic prowess he used to have when he was younger). I think he's like the drumming equivalent of Kyo in a sense: his studio work is really nuts but he's not the most technical musician live, so he goes over his limitations with a lot of determination and intensity (I don't really see that as positive though, in the end it only makes their conditions get worse :P )

Age isn’t always a factor. There are plenty of drummers that play way heavier and more technical stuff than Shinya that are in their 50s and 60s. He’s not a blast beat guy or a fast double bass guy. He’s better at grooves and using innovative tom and cymbal work. He’s awesome when he does what he’s comfortable with, but as long as DEG insists on doing br00tal songs Shinya has to adapt as best he can. 

3 minutes ago, Saishu said:

Age isn’t always a factor. There are plenty of drummers that play way heavier and more technical stuff than Shinya that are in their 50s and 60s. He’s not a blast beat guy or a fast double bass guy. He’s better at grooves and using innovative tom and cymbal work. He’s awesome when he does what he’s comfortable with, but as long as DEG insists on doing br00tal songs Shinya has to adapt as best he can. 

This is the truest thing I've read in this topic yet.

Dude's got a kit with 9000 cymbals and they just have him using his MIDI snare and kick pedal triggers. It's sad because I know he can do better.

What I meant is that it's less likely that we're gonna see any major improvement on his drumming from now on, since his problems are probably going to worsen with his aging. And I definitely agree he's way better at the groovy/proggy stuff than the metla stuff (even though I really like his drumwork on "Hageshisa" or the "Zan" remake).

I'm not really excited about this album btw. Historically DeG is my favorite band since the time I found them (around September 2011) but I haven't been really a fan of the stuff they've been putting out recently. I know that roughly two new songs (plus one cover and four remakes) isn't really the biggest amount of material to create an impression of, I can't really say I'd consider anything more than just "listenable". And to be quite frank, the "live-friendlier" direction they started taking after "Sustain the Untruth" doesn't really appeal me that much as the kind of sound they had between Uroboros and The Unraveling EP, since i'm more into the hyperactive proggy ultraventilating metal stuff - maybe that's why I've been more anxious about Dimlim's album than this, since they're DSSing better than DeG nowadays :P

They’ve really gone downhill since they lost the Adidas sponsorship. Being able to spend their budget on all kinds of fun things like sitars and Tibetan bowls sure beats spending on the finest production techniques of the Loudness War. 

I don’t know what this band is doing, man. 

I can say I don’t know what to expect from the new album. Even though the last two singles are the first time I’ve heard a new thing from this band and thought “oh, this sounds like something else they already did”. 

The live reports of the new stuff they’re playing don’t really tell me much. 

1 hour ago, blacktooth said:

They’ve really gone downhill since they lost the Adidas sponsorship. Being able to spend their budget on all kinds of fun things like sitars and Tibetan bowls sure beats spending on the finest production techniques of the Loudness War. 

I don’t know what this band is doing, man. 

Never thought Adidas would sponsor the kind of artists of Dir. Is this true?

4 minutes ago, saiko said:

Never thought Adidas would sponsor the kind of artists of Dir.

It's a joke from bygone days.

tumblr_ojs64bOXUG1v90f8io1_500.jpg

2 minutes ago, Seelentau said:

Good thing his stage boners didn't become a meme...

You must not have been looking in the right places.

I miss the ROO era. MOO was good too. I always find it hilarious when these guys try to take themselves so seriously but fans find a way to make them look silly.

We haven't seen the cover for the new album yet, but perhaps the typeset will spell out another fun message.

The only information I am disappointed of at this time regarding the album is the fact the album contain so many live recordings. I mean, couldn't they do what they did on DUM SPIRO SPERO and put a lot of remixes and other versions (early ver/demo/shot in one take) of the songs onto the bonus disc/BD-DVD?

Live recordings are pretty boring for bonus material I think, especially when they release at least one live BD every year...

The  three live performances on the bonus CD could be remixes instead, and with the fact they dedicate the full BD/DVD for live performances, I think we are pretty full of that material for this release. 

Btw, have y'all preordered the album yet? I'm in a bad situation since Swedish post now scanning EVERY package coming outside EU territory and put a nice fee (at least 8€, basically VAT must be payed on every parcel) only packaging that comes from a private person are free of charge... Meaning CDJapan and YesAsia are not longer an option to buy from :( 

Edited by sebbivism

DEG almost always gives nonsense for bonus material. If it’s not a song remixed with burps and farts then it’s Kyo’s studio tracks pasted over music not played by the band. 

At least Arche gave us And Zero and Tefu Tefu. 

"Ranunculus" is a ballad no?

They announced they filmed a MV sometime ago and I suppose they are going to wear that look they used on the promotional pictures for the album, like they did with "Uroko" (whose look is the one used on the promotional images for Arche back then). An shortened version of the "Ranunculus" MV is set to be included on the deluxe version of TIW, so we can assume it's the one they talked about filming? Wouldn't it be weird a MV ballad/soft-kind of song with such visually unpleasant, ultrasaturated look? :P

And on the topic of MVs, do you guys think they might do more than just this non-single track? For Arche they actually did two MVs for non-single songs ("Uroko" and "Revelation of Mankind") and that Lyric video for "Kukoku no Kyouon" in addition to the singles that already had videos ("Rinkaku" and "Sustain the Untruth"). Do you guys have any guesses on what songs might get MVs as well?

4 hours ago, blacktooth said:

I'm on the fence about preordering this album. I skipped out on Arche, plus I'm more interested in vinyl these days.

Although I'd be interested in another vinyl release from them, Uroboros sounds horrendous on vinyl and DSS doesn't fair too well either. Uroboros is easily one of the worst sounding records I own.

Edited by ghost