Seelentau

DIR EN GREY released their 10th album "The Insulated World" on September 26, 2018

Agreed that the names don't sound like them, but I like them anyway. I like the whole album title actually.

I'm super curious, kinda sad the hype has been so minimal—Guess that's what happens when you wait 4 years between albums?

I mean for Europe its more like 7. I saw the post they made on fb and screamed. 

2 hours ago, zombieparadise said:

Agreed that the names don't sound like them, but I like them anyway. I like the whole album title actually.

I'm super curious, kinda sad the hype has been so minimal—Guess that's what happens when you wait 4 years between albums?

can't believe that Kigan will be finally re recorded.

and i think it would be more intelligent if they had released a mini album with all the remake tracks

like the unraveling mini was,these songs are very similiar to each other,it would feel way more complete, for exemple: 

1 ningen wo kaburu

2 ash

3 beautiful dirt

4 The IIID EMPIRE

5 the Deeper Vileness

6 Fukai

the Deeper Vileness was such a bad choice for a "B side surprise" on this new album.

why didn't they think about bringing back to life "GARDEN"or a Doom metal version of mazohyst of decadence?

Edited by Manji 卍

9 hours ago, geist said:

I definitely agree. "Rubbish Heap" sounds like a GazettE title.

Well, it’s pretty much the same thing as “stacked rubbish”.

I am not expecting any massive epics on this thing, but I’d be lying if I didn’t say I’ve been wishing for these fuckers to just go full on progressive post-rock since Arche. BUT the last two singles tell me to not hold my breath. 

It’s just... look, younger bands (with more capable drummers) like Dimlim and Kizu are out there killing the heavy prog metalcore shit. I want DEG to chill. 

1 hour ago, LIDL said:

Maybe this album will be Vulgar 2.0 😏

Secretly hoping this too, fam.

However, i dunno if our Queens can still slay. Been a point of contention here at home.

1 hour ago, Saishu said:

I suspect Kyo has gone full Maynard James Keenan and loves his side project more than his main band. 

I was thinking the same since sukekiyo happened. It can be liked it or not, but it can't be denied that it is by far more sophisticated than Dir, in any way. I never thought Kyo could put out something like that, mostly because (since the very lack of information about these artists) I've always had this image of Kyo being more of a punk performer rather than a genuine "musician"... you know, someone more interested in doing borderline stuff in Adidas joggs and screaming till his throat goes shit rather than actually doing "music" (very hard to affirm strictly define what is music and what is not, but you get me). Then with sukekiyo he suddenly went with full the stage performance, quality clean singing and japanese melodies he claimed to deeply hate when he was interviewed back when they started going out of Japan... And, in the other hand, Dir started to make different moves that I find like... pointing out some loss of identity and lack direction? Arche was great, but Utafumi... my God, I still don't know what crossed their minds when they decided to record that! From serious experimental metal to dumb punk vibes? Wtf! Then the Mode of tours coming like one after another... Is it me or anyone else feels suspicious about the need of the band to do one revival after another? The outrageous visuals also came back, which I deeply praise because I will always love Dir for their visual kei roots, but something blocks me from taking them seriously since I can't feel them genuine... And Ningen wo kaburu sounds really uninspired, tbh.

Don't know how to feel about the new album and their new direction. Maybe all this saying comes from someone who has already actively formed an "identity" for "Dir en grey" in base of certain ideas... for me, Dir will always be from Gauze to Uroboros, wich was the discography available when I got to know them back in the trendy 2009... Still hope they are still around when I travel to Japan in the future...

Edited by saiko

Sounds like maybe you just don’t like heavy/aggressive music? I like both bands but your claims of sukekiyo being more sophisticated are a bit pretentious. It’s just different. Why would he want to be in two bands that sound exactly the same? 

Edited by Kelrya

22 hours ago, Zeus said:

and yet despite all the negativity most of you are going to listen to it anyway x

and

21 hours ago, nekkichi said:

we never start truly hating until the samples are out x

enuf said.

8 hours ago, Saishu said:

I suspect Kyo has gone full Maynard James Keenan and loves his side project more than his main band. 

although it may seems like,

1 hour ago, Naaaaani said:

Kyo is not the main composer for Dir nor for sukekiyo, so it looks strange when people try to compare these bands. He just sings in both of them, that's all.

but this explains all 

Edited by platanity

Even though Kyo may not be the main composer for sukekiyo, it is still generally presented as 'his' project, and he's essentially the face of the band...

I read some Japanese fan reports of their most recent live show.

Here is the info I could gather on new songs.

- The 理由 remake has a shortened intro and a rougher guitar tone reminiscent of MoaB. There is some shouting at the end now.

- One of the new songs that they just started playing has harsh vocals (they said デスボ in Japanese which means “death voice.” I don’t know if this is for all/most of the song or not as the description was unclear) and a blastbeat.

- The song that was played on the Mode of DSS tour is most likely titled “Celebrate Empty Howls.”

Edited by Kelrya

3 minutes ago, Kelrya said:

I read some Japanese fan reports of their most recent live show.

Here is the info I could gather on new songs.

- The 理由 remake has a shortened intro and a rougher guitar tone reminiscent of MoaB. There is some shouting at the end now.

- One of the new songs that they just started playing has harsh vocals (they said デスボ in Japanese which means “death voice.” I don’t know if this is for all/most of the song or not as the description was unclear) and a blastbeat.

- The song that was played on the Mode of DSS tour is most likely titled “Celebrate Empty Howls.”

I have some more questions about 理由 remake. Maybe you have/can find the answers:

• Is the solo still the same?
  • Is the melody the same? I remember complaints about plagiarism from some Kuroyume song, but for the life of me I can't remember what song it is.
  • It's shorter I'm guessing because of the shortened intro.
  • Is the guitar tone close to "Ryoujoku no ame"?

1 minute ago, Zeus said:

I have some more questions about 理由 remake. Maybe you have/can find the answers:

• Is the solo still the same?
  • Is the melody the same? I remember complaints about plagiarism from some Kuroyume song, but for the life of me I can't remember what song it is.
  • It's shorter I'm guessing because of the shortened intro.
  • Is the guitar tone close to "Ryoujoku no ame"?

I have been checking 2ch and Twitter and some Japanese blogs so I will update if I find more specifics. The last thing I forgot to add is that the new song with the blastbeat had a part that is reminiscent of New Age Culture (specifically the “time to escape section at 1:35.)

理由 me up! (理由 me up inside)

11 hours ago, Kelrya said:

What's the reasoning for that? With Ranunculus, the lyrics were on screen. For the other song, "I cannot love myself" (or sth like that) was audible and/or on screen, too. Kyotaku calls it "Punk's Not Dead", iirc.

It's so confusing, all these new songs @.@

Edited by Seelentau

1 hour ago, Seelentau said:

理由 me up! (理由 me up inside)

What's the reasoning for that? With Ranunculus, the lyrics were on screen. For the other song, "I cannot love myself" (or sth like that) was audible and/or on screen, too. Kyotaku calls it "Punk's Not Dead", iirc.

It's so confusing, all these new songs @.@

I think I read that it was on the screen. Also someone said that there were pictures of a bunch of famous American serial killers on the screen during that song (the mode of DSS one.)

Edited by Kelrya

On 8/3/2018 at 3:59 AM, Saishu said:

Even if you're not a sukekiyo fan, this much is obvious. That and how more thought goes into their music. 

Diru just feels like something they're doing because they've been at it for so long it's hard to let it go. 

2 hours ago, Kelrya said:

I think I read that it was on the screen. Also someone said that there were pictures of a bunch of famous American serial killers on the screen during that song (the mode of DSS one.)

According to a friend:

詩踏み → intense

人間 → intense

新曲(DSS) → intense

新曲(GOMAD) → anime song (lol)

新曲(HUMANSKIN) → intense?

Ranunculus → calm / quiet

I'm not sure why he calls it that. Personally, if I didn't know better, I wouldn't think it was a song by them. Not sure how to describe it, it's very "poppy", "up-beat"...? Dunno if those terms fit what I'm trying to say.

The song starts with guitars, then at 0:10, drums join and then the rest. Kyo starts singing at 0:22, first bridge(?) at 0:55 (I cannot love myself *Toshiya growl* x3), then chorus, then the song changes its beat at 1:28 (short Guitar strumming 4/4... I think? Like Dun-Dun-Dun-Dun). Second verse at 1:42, bridge (this time more gibberish) again at 2:03, followed by music only, refrain again at 2:32, then climax at 2:52, followed by a short Guitar riff, Kyo sings again and that's it. 3:30 long.