Kiyoharu is God

sads ceasing activities

https://kiyoharu.tokyo/info/サッズからのお知らせ/

Crude google translate of the message on Kiyo's website:

We celebrated the seventh anniversary of the restart by the new system We will suspend our activities in 2018 this year.
I am thankful to all the fans who supported me for about 20 years since my debut in 1999.
Performance venue will be preliminary release We hope that the original last album "FALLING" and the nationwide tour "FALLING" announced today will be the last treasure for Sads.

Last year they got a new bassist and were starting activities again... And now the band is disbanding. Ok.

Final album will still be released. Seems like it will first be sold at their 07月21日(土) 梅田CLUB QUATTRO live.  The image with the info says "online sale coming soon"... Not sure why that would be written unless they're not planning a brick and mortar style release.

2 hours ago, IGM_Oficial said:

I wonder what the "new system" is...

They meant the newest lineup, sweetheart.

This is why you shouldn't directly copy from Google Translate cuz it fucks up the translation and it incites stupid replies like these.

but anyway

the fuck??????/

1 hour ago, redaudrey said:

RIP literally anything Kiyoharu does
remember when he was dedicating himself to vape and vape accessories for a few months? haha

Please don't remind us of those few months, they were sad times 

You really have to wonder, after the early 10's where he was doing solo / Kuroyume / Sads all at the same time, and the subsequent fallout of the kuroyume brand/licensing, that none of his decisions are being made on artistic merits anymore. He pretty much whored out the kuroyume name and, effectively, it went bankrupt from bad deals or promises he couldn't deliver.

Do you think kiyoharu / his management are getting as lucrative advances and deals like he did in the 00s where he was cranking out solo albums once or twice a year and countless A-B-C type singles (thanks Avex!) ? He doesn't have the marketability anymore...he released the last single through live shows and has consistently always tried to pump up live ticket sales by offering live-only CD releases. That's more money directly to him.

And as much as I love his solo rhythmless work, it almost feels like he couldn't, or didn't want to pay a full band to back him up in his solo act. The rhythmless setup allows him to be a lean himself + 2 other people. And  when he does full band solo shows, gone are the 30-40 song setlists which in the past was quite an amazing feat. Long setlists cost rehearsal time or money and instead he's doing more normal 20-something song setlists. That Rhythmless residency from last year or the year before usually means an artist wants to earn with consistent gigs without having to travel and tour like crazy. And he shut down his official website last year...I mean...who shuts down a website with over 15 years of history/brand recognition for a website that isn't even maintained and updated!?! https://www.kiyoharu.tokyo/pre/

So this Sads hiatus, mere months after starting up again, doesn't surprise me...sounds like another head-scratcher in the long line questionable moves.

20 hours ago, carddass said:

You really have to wonder, after the early 10's where he was doing solo / Kuroyume / Sads all at the same time, and the subsequent fallout of the kuroyume brand/licensing, that none of his decisions are being made on artistic merits anymore. He pretty much whored out the kuroyume name and, effectively, it went bankrupt from bad deals or promises he couldn't deliver.

Do you think kiyoharu / his management are getting as lucrative advances and deals like he did in the 00s where he was cranking out solo albums once or twice a year and countless A-B-C type singles (thanks Avex!) ? He doesn't have the marketability anymore...he released the last single through live shows and has consistently always tried to pump up live ticket sales by offering live-only CD releases. That's more money directly to him.

And as much as I love his solo rhythmless work, it almost feels like he couldn't, or didn't want to pay a full band to back him up in his solo act. The rhythmless setup allows him to be a lean himself + 2 other people. And  when he does full band solo shows, gone are the 30-40 song setlists which in the past was quite an amazing feat. Long setlists cost rehearsal time or money and instead he's doing more normal 20-something song setlists. That Rhythmless residency from last year or the year before usually means an artist wants to earn with consistent gigs without having to travel and tour like crazy. And he shut down his official website last year...I mean...who shuts down a website with over 15 years of history/brand recognition for a website that isn't even maintained and updated!?! https://www.kiyoharu.tokyo/pre/

So this Sads hiatus, mere months after starting up again, doesn't surprise me...sounds like another head-scratcher in the long line questionable moves.

Well, I think he's still  making them on artistic merits. And I base that simply on the sound of the last two (album) releases. The previous RHYTHMLESS releases (as far as I'm aware) were his worst selling albums. Like, they sold REALLLY poorly. Granted, I haven't followed the ORICON charts after UNDER THE SUN, but up to that point they sold the worst. I recall him saying that fans shouldn't worry since he expected as much. You would think based on that previous experience that they would be the only RHYTHMLESS releases of his career, and yet he released another one last year. Then he follows that up two months later with a freaking flamenco album (which I love). Maybe flamenco is big in Japan now, I don't know. But, it's not what I would have done if I wanted a well performing album. Even sads is in the same spot. Like, if he really was worried about sales he should have rehired the old guys and continued with the punk music, or pop stuff like Masquerade and BOUKYAKU NO SORA. Instead he returns with the technical/extreme metal of current sads... And that kind of music isn't going to have as big an appeal as more popular genres. Obviously he wants to make money like any business man, but I feel that when it comes to music he's authentic.... Yeah, the A/B/C singles release campaign seems to contradict this, but I believe that was more avex than him.  I feel he reserves the businessman approach for everything else he promotes like the fashion, jewelry, vaping equipment, etc. And he's always released live-only releases. Like ALWAYS. So that isn't too diff from the norm imo...

That said I feel a lot of what you're saying here may be right.  I doubt he's getting lucrative advances like before... He's an old man. Like, very few of those old VK guys are at that level still. Maybe Hyde and Teru? His career def feels like it's at an odd crossroads right now.  Think he was posting about album sales earlier in the month:

https://twitter.com/ki_spring/status/1005041385030934528

https://twitter.com/ki_spring/status/1005045444425076736

Edited by Kiyoharu is God