Karma’s Hat

Visual Kei Youtubers

My friend does videos on youtube, mainly the GazettE. Her url is dimskies, and she even has a vlog with me in it (ha ha) She mainly does GazettE-related videos, but she has really fun vlogs (Some during the 15th anniversary for GazettE so it's fun to watch), likes to talk about tattoos and she posts helpful videos for the younger sixth guns to try and help them with stuff like concert tickets and what not.

I love this guy Kisamake. His channel focuses on makeup tutorials covering various themes and has done many visual kei makeup tutorials as well.  (His channel isn't really Vkei focuses though, occasional VKei tutorials) His style of humor can seem odd but I find it amusing.

He looks like Mana-sama :D

He has other VKei makeup tutorials of Dadaroma, Mejibray, Minpha etc. 

Edited by ChimeraKei

I don’t like MacRyanMac because he thinks everything he hears is amazing. Like, not once have I heard him actually critique the music, and he often gets too wrapped up in the video and ignores the song itself. 

Phoenix Splash TV pretty much just sounds like he’s reciting from Wikipedia most of the time and doesn’t even make an attempt to pronounce Japanese words (how he got “unroo” out of “Uruha” I do not know).  

Baldman is the perfect balance really. VK is new to him, but even listening with new ears he doesn’t gush over every song. Him having a musical background also comes thru when he gives his opinions, as he actually [gasp!] talks about things like the songwriting and the production. 

To be honest, reaction channels are an inherently weird concept. You’re watching people watch a thing. But they can be entertaining with the right personalities. Most of these jokers just sit there bobbing their heads in silence during the song and then give a generic thought when it’s over. That’s not entertainment at all. 

On 6/19/2018 at 7:32 PM, ChimeraKei said:

I love this guy Kisamake. His channel focuses on makeup tutorials covering various themes and has done many visual kei makeup tutorials as well.  (His channel isn't really Vkei focuses though, occasional VKei tutorials) His style of humor can seem odd but I find it amusing.

He looks like Mana-sama :D

He has other VKei makeup tutorials of Dadaroma, Mejibray, Minpha etc. 

I knew that channel for the Dandy maro make up tutorial

I used to follow that kind of channels but everyone sounds like "what's wrong with their hair/make up? Japanese people are crazy", so I got bored of them. 

metalheads reactions were interesting until they started to compare with american bands so...

Yep, I gave up to reaction videos.

On 6/16/2018 at 10:03 PM, Peace Heavy mk II said:

just admit you wanted to talk about this

Someone please tell YouTube that stop recommending me this

Edited by keilu

I'm surprised no one has mentioned TeppyBaka yet. Though he barely uploads (and actually doesn't even know much about Vkei beyond Diru, GazettE and Malice Mizer.)

On 6/14/2018 at 8:53 PM, Disposable said:

featuring such scene stalwarts as Insanity Injection, who are now off to headlining at the dome or something

:lol::lol:

I'm glad to see there is more out there than just "reaction" videos, at least. That's all that ever comes up in my recommendations, and I avoid those like the plague.

Edited by violetchain

On 6/15/2018 at 2:32 PM, evenor said:

Nancy Perez is the latinx queen of spanish VK subs.

I like her channel too. Because, although I'm not fluent in Spanish, I can read it better than oral.

I feel like RyanMac reacts the way he does because it's safe and he doesn't want to piss anyone off. I doubt he really likes all the stuff he's shown, or he does and is easily impressed by everything. 

In all honesty I find youtube and any sort of fan-made content an utter waste of time. I hate react videos with a passion and most "review" videos are bad. And make up tutorials seem really stupid to me too.

MacRyanMac, his approach is probably a combination of being really Canadian (and not wanting to offend) and wanting to attract views.

Does a guy that grew up listening to post-hardcore really enjoy all of these K-pop acts, or is it just so that he can attract a horde of fans? Then again, I used to think the same thing about VK fans, so I suppose anything is possible.

4 hours ago, GreatNorthernVK said:

Does a guy that grew up listening to post-hardcore really enjoy all of these K-pop acts

Who summoned me? (Went from trance -> opera/pop ->c-pop/j-pop -> prog metal/metalcore/post -> v-kei -> k-pop)

TBH, he could have genuine interest and has "Jimmy Fallon" syndrome (compensating for a generally "dry" personality), but it's also likely the ad revenue/views. Even the most mundane of videos with K-pop content (or even the mere mentioning of groups/idols) will summon the stans. With everyone trying to "make it" on YouTube, the amount of attention K-pop has gotten has been a godsend to small channels/creators. That being said, genuinely liking the music and wanting to grow an audience are not mutually exclusive.

Now, I personally don't watch MacRyanMac regularly, but he piqued my interest b/c he comes from a somewhat similar music background as myself. My observations on the music side of things lead me to believe that he shows interest, but purposefully plays his reactions REALLY safe to grow his audience. However, what's more telling is the way he constantly squeezes in videos that involve popular topics & trends and constantly retweets larger creators. Which means he's just using this common method:

• Make videos about/utilizing general YT trends to build an initial, albeit small, following.
  • Hone in on some large bands/trending topics to develop an audience. Alternatively, spill your guts on camera and turn yourself into a drama channel.
  • Mold every single one of your videos to user comments/suggestions.
  • Keep a steady stream of content based on said comments/suggestions for eternity w/o offending your audience. 
    • Additionally, keep up with other SNS platforms and show up on larger creators feeds/comment sections.
    • Also, release a ~10 min vid at least every other day to stay afloat. Rev up those buzzwords and hashtags.

He might listen to some of these bands every now and then in his spare time, but the large coverage indicates that he's mainly accommodating to his audience. Those who find genuine interest in a genre will typically carve out their niche of artists w/ similar characteristics and then bounce around, his broad-brush artist selection doesn't indicate that (This might come off a little gatekeep-y). BUT, you can't build a large channel based on only your interests though... Which leads us back to the start.

The only way to have decent growth on a YouTube channel in this day and age is to pander to as many people as possible. People typically watch reaction videos to validate their own opinions b/c it makes them happy. Small sketch comedy, animation, and blog channels of the past are simply not viable on YouTube anymore b/c of how content dense YT is now. Some might make it, but why do that instead of the method above? It's not like it's "wrong".

We still haven't gotten to the making a living on YT part either, lol. 

(This turned into a YT schpiel, lol)

TL;DR: He's interested b/c he has the patience to do what he's doing, but he's mainly doing it for the views. He capitalized off of his spike in viewership after his first react video to Babymetal which was trending at the time. 

Edited by colorfuljinsei

On 10/16/2018 at 8:40 AM, libertine said:

I'm leaning on the side of him being easily impressed. Some people just are a bit Jimmy Fallon-y and doing a show makes them emphasize that side of their personality.

That said, I do think the people watching and commenting on those videos does affect many reviewers quite a bit. Can't remember who it was, maybe Bald Man or Pictures, Noise and Words, who said that their first Dir en Grey video resulted in a death threat. As a result, they're now much more careful with their words. Bald Man I've also seen be quite strict with his comment moderation.

Yeah,  I liked Ryan Mac for a while, but he seemed so impressed by everything that it became boring. He is a nice person however, I have had at least one conversation with him at least.

Also doesn't surprise me about the Death Threats. Some VK Fans are just ignorant and think everyone should like the same stuff they do.

On 10/16/2018 at 7:59 PM, colorfuljinsei said:

He might listen to some of these bands every now and then in his spare time, but the large coverage indicates that he's mainly accommodating to his audience. Those who find genuine interest in a genre will typically carve out their niche of artists w/ similar characteristics and then bounce around, his broad-brush artist selection doesn't indicate that (This might come off a little gatekeep-y). BUT, you can't build a large channel based on only your interests though... Which leads us back to the start.

Gatekeepy, but true. When he mentions what he listens to outside of his channel, some patterns do come up, and while a couple of big names like BTS are mentioned, you can tell that it’s not his regular musical diet.

I prefer Baldman for that reason. He’s open to trying new things, but he’ll at least be fairly honest in his assessment and try to analyze the content beyond just gushing.

I ended up getting into it with a weird Gazette fan in the comments section of a really small YouTube channel. They basically went off on some dude that called Ninth generic (“shut the fuck up”, “keep the Gazette out of your mouth”) then played victim because “DEG fans won’t leave Gazette fans alone”. It got really surreal when they knew exactly who I was because they visited here briefly a few months back,  even though I use my real name on YouTube. 

They’ve since moved on to a place where no one speaks ill of Gazette. 

8 minutes ago, suji said:

I think I know who you're talking about, lmao

Fucking blew my mind. Always cries about DEG fans being bullies, then literally comes out of nowhere to insult someone for not singing praises to Ninth. 

But when they were like “I know who you are, but you don’t know me” then started listing specific things I’ve said and that I use “female” as my gender. That threw me off until I checked my MH profile and realized my gender is set as female for some reason. I was going to fix it, but eh. Lol. 

Well, I don't know if is this kind of thing that you guys are searching for, but I have an youtube variety channel focused on Visual Kei:

https://bit.ly/2NIzKtX

We started this channel because we couldn't find a channel like we wanted (with content about vk that wasn't just reacts).

We are always trying to bring new things: news, discussions, reviews, curiosities, and even a little bit of Japanese culture and language.
VK Onee San is still in it's beginning, but if you guys can subscribe and like the videos, we will grow and make things more interesting.

Edited by AoiMoon