BrenGun

The GazettE - NINTH [REVIEWS THREAD]

Did you bought the album?   

50 members have voted

1. 1. If you bought the album, which version did you buy?

• CD only
    • CD+DVD (PV+making)
    • CD+DVD (12,000 yen ver.)
    • CD+BLU-RAY (13,000 yen ver.)
    • Digital version
    • Not yet, I will buy 100% later.
    • Not yet, maybe I will buy later.

Since it's already 06/13 in Japan, discussion about The GazettE new album - NINTH can be open.

For myself, I didn't bought the album. Maybe I buy it later digitally at least if it will appear on worldwide itunes. 

But I'm still thinking, because I'm not a fan perse. 

Album is digital available at:

Amazon EUROPE, (FR DE ES...) (Amazon Japan and US  don't sell it)

iTunes Japan (on 06/20)

So, what are your thought's about the album and why should someone support the band this time? 
If you bought the physically CD, what did you think of the packaging and the price in overall. Is the price the quality worth it? 

As for what I've listened out of the PV Falling

I must say that it doesn't sound that band.

But if is really enough to support a band I actually never support? I give it a longer thought.

But it sounds much much better than their early years. 

The GazettE - Ninth review

After 3 years, The GazettE finally drops out an FULL album again. This time they called their album Ninth and released it in 4 different types. I myself went for the digital version.
I thought I started to like the GazettE after LEECH. But the releases after it couldn't keep me listing to them and I still think DIM was their best album, even if DIM also not really fit's my taste.  So will this finally change with Ninth?!
After all the guys used 3 years to drop an album with only 2 singles in between and just a best album to fill up the time.

Let's give it a listen. 

1 99.999 [1:17] ***
Intro track, which has some heavy beats and some strange up words a bit of electronic military vibe. Which lead into the next song. 

2 Falling -NINTH MIX - [3:48] *****
The song starts quietly with a nice melody soon filled into a heavy guitar beat with a nice speed up. clean and grunting vocal fits and leads each other perfectly. Ruki's way of singing is just stunning. All breaks fits, guitar/bass and drum fits each other 100%. A song which is easy to like. and the song also ends quietly which leads you into the next song.  

3 Ninth Odd Smell [3:23] *****
Stars nicely with some drumming beat which will flow in some heavy guitar beats and a harsh voice scream, then it's leads in some clean singing and some harsh singing and goes to clean singing and so on. Which totally not get's annoying its in perfect harmony. Just yes please! 

4 Gush [3:27] *****
This song reminds me of some older songs of them but still different when the song is playing? Ruki's voice starts electric but it fits totally the melody and will turn later in Ruki's usually voice. The beat of the melody is nicely heavy in the parts Ruki sings more calmly and a good keeping up beat when the song is wild. It keeps up nice speed. Also the more harsh voice it's totally lovely. It's very easy to listen until the end. But the song still ends abrupt in the more electronic kind of beat. as it's broken. 

5 The Mortal 4:04 *****
Starts with a typical dark heavy VK growl (in a good way).
However after about 40 sec the song totally get's calmly and you hear a beautiful voice singing, which leads slowly into more heaviness. Also a perfect song in harmony. Melody doesn't get annoying and is very easy to listen until the end. Ruki's voice is full of emotion. Maybe a bit to calmly for my own taste but yet it's damn beautiful! Get me a bit more of this kind of songs!  

6 虚蜩 [3:47]*****
This song also starts calmy intro already leads you into a damn master melody. Ruki's voice is calmy like a beautiful ballad way, but with a kind of rock sound melody behind. Also you can hear emotion in his voice. 

7 その声は脆く [5:02]****
ballad, at bit too calmly for my taste. But 100% a very nicely song for people who really like calmly songs in this kind of style. The way of singing, Ruki does it really beautifully. And melody is also 100% in harmony. It's very easy to listen to the end. 

8 Babylon's Taboo [3:35]****
Some parts really sound a bit of as I know it from someone. Marlin Manson or something? However, this is also a nice song, melody doesn't get annoying. Also this song is filled with a more dark feeling. 

9 裏切る舌 [3:30] ****
The melody I did hear somewhere before, maybe some pierrot taste? But it has a nicely up beat which I've heard more times. Still GazettE has nicly adopt it and put in some own taste. The high pitch voice of Ruki in this song is also nice. I also like that they don't slow down when Ruki is singing more clean but just playing with a nice up speed which keeps the song nicely speed up. 

10 Two Of A Kind [4:00] ***
The start and the heavy parts of this song is a bit similar to 裏切る舌. It's like a version 2 with just slightly changes. this song doesn't really give me a wow blew away feeling. But the song is in harmony.

11 Abhor God [2:58] ***
Starts as a heavy metal song, nice guitar riffs good drumming behind, nice bass vibe. good grunting screaming voice. But melody is looping up.  

12 Unfinished [3:51] *****
The last song of the album, the song starts nicely fast with a more happy rock pop beat, a song which stays more easy into your head and with surly a typical gazette sound. Also a kind of different singing Ruki but that's amazing. A totally different but a nice closing song for the album. 

Final Thoughts,
After so many years, The GazettE finally released an album I fully like. And that never happened before. In these 3 years of releasing only 2 singles and a best album. The guys surely did put something together which is easy to like a truly master piece, no more annoying breaks, slowing too much down etc . I really would like to listen more to this kind of Gazette, because this is what I always hoped they would go to. 
Surely people will totally dislike this album, but if you want real quality and something real nice for the ears, something you really can call music, then this album will surly give you that. 
Tomorrow I gonna purcahse it on itunes if available to give the band a bit extra support! 

Hopefully their next releases will be as so good as this one!

Edited by BrenGun
changed video, changed poll, 22:35 review added

I really like the production on this one. After a few listens I may come back to give my first impressions.

Edited by geist

19 hours ago, Saishu said:

I know I don’t, but it’s nowhere near as bad as Traces Vol. 2

I wish Josh Wilbur would have mixed the whole album not just the FALLING mixed that was released in the 10th of march.

coz that mix is 10times better than the album production 

Coz apparently they didn’t have time to do it with Josh Wilbur so they chose a different producer

Edited by Ozileras10

surprisingly "OK" ! 

love the detailing of some guitar works ! and nice touch with samplings and effects.

some tracks are nice ! 

my impression on this was like "dogma 2.0" but with a more colors instead of monochromatic approach (maybe it's because of the "2012 kanye merch" artcover ?)

definitely not ground breaking but nice album to listen for the next 2 weeks ! :D

Does anyone actually like the version of Falling on the album MORE than the PV version? I'm ignorant but I thought I could hear the instrument parts better individually and the vocal track was more engaging when it's not harmonized for every melody like Ruki's voice seems to be.

The whole album sounds muddy tbh, which is a shame coz I like it so much!

Anyways has anyone got their CDs yet?

if yes, how does the quality compare to the itunes version?

Mine is being delivered today, but I’m not expecting a huge difference. Why did they even bother with a different mix for the PV? It’s not like it was released as a single. 

Coz I think that’s the type of production they were going for on the album but couldn’t do it in the time of the release date  so they got a different producer. There’s some speculation going on that Apparently Sony rushed the album and that’s why they showed the release date before finishing the album 

Is there a way to get a HQ audio file for the Falling MV without resorting to ripping from YouTube? I was so underwhelmed by the album version despite cranking the volume up in my car. This is 'Dir En Grey album version of a single' type fuckery. 

33 minutes ago, nullmoon said:

Is there a way to get a HQ audio file for the Falling MV without resorting to ripping from YouTube? I was so underwhelmed by the album version despite cranking the volume up in my car. This is 'Dir en grey album version of a single' type fuckery. 

The version on their OHP is 256kbps AAC, which I currently have. The DVD/Blu-ray with the PV should have the original 'single version' in lossless audio. Whenever it leaks, I'll make a rip and do some editing, to make sure it transitions properly with the surrounding tracks.

I have to wait on the DVD/Blu-ray rips leaking online to do this, because I got the Blu-ray version. I'm pretty sure my optical drive that I bought in 2015 for $20 doesn't take Blu-ray discs.

Oh dear, Uruha had a hand in the mixing. Didn’t he learn anything from the Traces Vol. 2 mess?

other than him there’s Koichi Hara and someone named SIN. 

4 minutes ago, Saishu said:

Oh dear, Uruha had a hand in the mixing. Didn’t he learn anything from the Traces Vol. 2 mess?

Clearly not.

Uruha, stay away from these things and focus on guitar work, please.

I think Uruha mixed the intro.

anyways the only thing that i like from the album version of falling compared to the mv version is that you can clearly hear the bass

I wish this album had a Dogma type of production. 

1 hour ago, Seimeisen said:

The version on their OHP is 256kbps AAC, which I currently have. The DVD/Blu-ray with the PV should have the original 'single version' in lossless audio. Whenever it leaks, I'll make a rip and do some editing, to make sure it transitions properly with the surrounding tracks.

I have to wait on the DVD/Blu-ray rips leaking online to do this, because I got the Blu-ray version. I'm pretty sure my optical drive that I bought in 2015 for $20 doesn't take Blu-ray discs.

Awesome, thank you! :3

I’m going to have to listen to the iTunes version now, thanks guys. Lol.

I might be in the minority, but I feel the MV version was a tad too “flat” for my tastes. 

Not too sure where the words muddy came from haha. Maybe if I was listening through Apple earbuds lol but as far as I can tell (I have the CD) the album version has a higher gain, and so there’s more clarity in the drumming and while the instruments could be a bit in sync, I wouldn’t necessarily call that a bad thing.

I’ll listen to the AAC version and update post.

Edit: Sounds exactly the same for iTunes version. Production is the same at least.

Edited by YuyoDrift
Update

Maybe the reason why I don’t like the new version of falling is because I heard the mv mix like 1000 times. Anyways let us now if you hear a difference on the 2 versions

It’s muddy in my Sennheiser earbuds and it’s muddy in my car. Abhor God is the absolute worst because none of the instruments are given any room to breathe. Sounds like the typical overcompressed stuff we’ve been getting from DEG the last six years.