Seimeisen

monochrome heaven's ~chill the fuck out~ trade-off

33 minutes ago, The Reverend said:

I thought we were friends.

The music is not bad! It's just that my ex was constantly playing the same songs over and over so they just remind me of those dark times 

@plastic_rainbow I'm glad you were able to enjoy something from my mix! It's funny, after listening to your mix, I guessed which tracks you might like least and I was pretty spot on haha. 

I've got a dark side too so maybe the next time we get matched I share my bleaker tastes : )

@indigo I'm really glad you enjoyed my mix! I've always wanted to do a mix like this, and arranging my playlist for this tradeoff was more pleasant than usual. I'm glad you enjoyed the transitions and overall mood, which I've achieved here. btw I found it funny when you thought the Shiver singer sounded like an 80s female jpop vocalist xD

Anyway, I'm SO sorry that this is hella late orz

Please know that 1) I'm not too good at writing music reviews, even though I enjoyed your mix overall. 2) I've had lots of real-life distractions recently so it took longer than usual to actually focus on your playlist.

Spoiler

1.なのるなもない - ラッシュアワーに咲く花を見つけたけど feat.maikowho
From reading one of indigo's earlier posts in this thread, I knew that I was getting into some J-rap, which I'm not familiar with at all. This song makes me think of walking through town in the rain. The alluring female vocals add a nice soothing touch to the composition. However, I'm not 100% on the rap vocals. 4/5

2.ゆだち - (die staadt) Norm
The vocals here are just absolutely mezmerizing, it meshes very well with the gloomy, dreamlike music. It's even better when the sound is constant throughout the whole song, which makes me enjoy it even more. This is something that I could sleep to, and I say that in a good way. 5/5

3.THE NOVEMBERS - Flowers of Life
The only band I'm a little familiar with in this playlist. I like the 80s-like beats, and of course the vocal is nice to listen to. I'm also a fan of the chorus, as the melody is quite catchy. Overall, I like how groovy and chill this is - a nice mixture! My favorite track out of this mix! 5/5

4.TK from 凛として時雨 - daylily
I've heard of this band as well, but I do NOT like the vocalist at all. Thankfully, this song doesn't have that, and it's a nice piano instrumental. I like it. 3/5

5.きのこ帝国 - 夏の影
Now this is something that one may want to get high off of; not me though, since I'm not really a fan of the reggaeton beat. I changed my mind once the female vocals came up, and the song was more easier to listen to. 4/5

6.Envy - Incomplete
A short acoustic snippet. Sounds like a good transition between the last and next track; I only noticed this new song only halfway through. 4/5

7.Rope - Quiet
Starts off with a more vibrant sound, but contrasts greatly with the soft, slow paced vocals. It makes me think of a nice windy day outside. A pleasant listen. 4/5

8.downy - 月
I've heard of this band as well, but I was unsure as to what their music sounded like. The song starts off with a rather eerie intro with whispery vocals. It's quiet and easy to sleep through, although the monotony here made the song feel too long and dragged out. 2.5/5

9.SuiseiNoboAz - ubik
This song kicks off with a more uplifting sound with louder vocals. Midway through the song, it transitions into a bit more chaotic, and almost thrashlike sound. 3.5/5

10.友川かずき - サーカス
This sounds like 70s-80s country music, complete with harmonica lol ^^ but what do I know, it might be from around that time anyway. I really need to listen to more Japanese classics. ;w; I like the variety of instruments I hear throughout the song, along with the singer's unique vibrato. It's a feel-good track overall. A classy way to end this mix. ^^ 4/5

Overall, I like how the playlist starts off rather chill, but then starts getting more upbeat and joyful midway. Totally the opposite of what my mix was xD Even though I had stated in the beginning that I was expecting j-rap, there was only the first song, and then everything else exceeded my expectations. Really drives me to check out more j-indie even though my lazy ass chooses not to. Mixes like these are why I enjoy doing tradeoffs, because there's more variety in music like this, and I get a different experience out of it than what I'm used to.

Anyway, I enjoyed this mix a lot, and thank you for being my partner ♥ I really hope you can forgive me for my lateness. ^^;

@Ro plz here took two songs I've known very well, then threw in 7 seven songs I totally slept on, and one I never even heard of. These are all great songs, and they all flow so well. I'll be going back to this playlist frequently in the future. 10/10

Spoiler

01. the GazettE - 虚無の終わり 箱詰めの黙示
Interesting way to start the mix off. Every part of this song is beautiful, the atmospheric chorus, the minimalist verses, all of it! Probably my favourite DIM-era b-side. A few years ago when I reviewed this for a previous trade-off, I mentioned how the song is about a televised apocalypse; in the verses, you’re sitting in a dark and empty room, watching the events unfold on TV; in the choruses, you’re outside, you’re there, experiencing fuckery. And yet this song is so laid-back. 9/10

02. DIR EN GREY - 蜷局 [Remastered & Expanded]
This is probably the only R&E venison I prefer over the 2008 version. Yeah, the drums sound over-compressed and fake, but there’s more clarity here. This has always been one of my favourite 2008-2012 DEG songs, and one of the most interesting off UROBOROS. I think this is one of the few DEG songs that’s calm without being depressive or drenched in feels. 9/10

03. KEEL - 喘鳴
I honestly can’t really think of anything to say about this song. It’s a nice, laid-back-yet-energetic KEEL song, which is basically a non-depressed version of deadman with the vocalist of 9GOATS. Anything I could say could describe just about any other KEEL song. It’s good, though, I dig it, and it works for this mix. 6/10

04. BUCK-TICK - NOT FOUND
Kinda what I expect from BUCK-TICK. This song has a somewhat fast beat but the drums and guitars are rather low energy. It kinda has a Nu-New-Wave feel; the production is very much present day, but the guitars have this ’80s/’90s reverb, and Atsushi’s vocals *are* the ‘80s. I quicklook previewed the rest of 或いはアナーキー, and it seems like the entire album has this modern funk/new-wave sound. 8/10

05. sukekiyo - 304号室 舌と夜
This song starts out kinda creepy, but once the drums kick in, the creep factor pretty much goes away, and it’s just a chill sukekiyo track. I think I just get a little creeped when I hear the opening guitar and remember that this song is (probably) about wrist cutting/suicide… 8/10

06. DECAYS - 綺麗な指
When DECAYS was announced, I was looking forward to hearing them, because Die and Kobayashi (THE NOVEMBERS), but Koba left, and I didn’t like what I heard from their first mini-album, so I completely lost interest. But this song got me to change my mind and give the band, or at least this album, another chance. The vocalist sounds like a greatly matured Shuuji-1 (previous vocalist of cali≠gari). 8/10

07. lynch. - from the end (10th ANNIVERSARY re-recording)
This song never felt like a ‘chill tf out’ kind of song, more like the song at the end of a horror movie when a few people survive and they wonder how they’ll carry on with their lives. Something I’d put at the end of a doom-y mixtape. This is a great re-recording! 8/10

08. Sadie - 追恋の華
Wow, I can’t believe I didn’t give this song a chance when it came out. When bleach was first released, I didn’t like that none of the songs stayed true to the original versions, so I tossed it. But going back now, some of the re-recordings here are still just as good, if not better. This re-recording in particular is far better than the original. It’s still nothing incredibly different for a Sadie ballad, but they’ve always excelled at ballads.

Also, going back to bleach got me to delete GANGSTA from my music library. 9/10

09. me-al-art - 体温
Japanese Lacuna Coil without a male vocalist… is how I could describe this song only. I checked out the rest of ヘメロカリス, and did not get a Japanese-language throwback to “in a Reverie” that I was expecting. Where the hell has this band been my … whole ten years listening to Japanese music? This is a little more high-energy than the other songs in this mix, but I’m still glad it was included, it still fits in, and I’m glad I discovered this band! Apparently CAT5 gets credit for this discovery 10/10

10. 9GOATS BLACK OUT - den lille havfrue
And we end the mix with a 9GOATS song I have totally slept on. I always knew about the legendary devils in bedside, but I always just listened to sink and float and forgot about the rest. In eight years of having this in my music library, I’ve maybe only heard this song a handful of times. I never would have guessed it could have appropriately ended any album/mix/playlist. 8/10

I had my nigga @Seimeisen as my partner.

I know we have similar tastes in terms of bands but with this mix, i was able to get a more in depth feel for the other stuff hes into! Lets get it!

1. PELICAN FANCLUB-Chilico: Never really checked out these guys before! This track is a nice introduction to them though. Its rockin, gives off the dreamy vibe and its more on the uplifting side. I'm actually reminded a lot of the Pillows when I listen to this track. Not bad at all 7/10

2. PLASTIC TREE-遠国: Im BIG bad I slept on these dudes. This track is a nice blend of chill, rockin, and dark which is right up my alley. The solo's are fucking dope as well. I haven't stopped playing this since I first heard it. I'm def digging more into Plastic Tree. 10/10

3. Retinwaav-Trial of Merit: I always say i need to get more into instrumental music and this is why, right here. This was a peaceful yet intense track that Id def use in a movie staring myself. I need to write more joints like this.....9/10

4. BORIS-Ghost of Romance: Could it be....? Have i found a BORIS song that i actually like? I've tried getting into them before and they just weren't hittin. This track makes me wanna try again. I love the hazy, haunting vibe this track gives off. The background guitars/effects and vocals remind me a lot of the Novembers. Solid track 8/10

5. Northlane-OHM: Another band I haven't heard before! Not a big of fan of weird time signatures/djenty stuff unless its done right and these guys do it well. The vocals are the huge take away here alongside the instrumentals. A lot of these bands have some whiny, cringe Kellen Quinn tier vocals that ruin what was a perfectly good song, once the chorus/singing parts come in. This was not the case and i felt a nice tingling sensation in my wee wee when this dude sings. I like. 8/10

6. Cloudkicker-You and Yours: Another killer instrumental in the mix! It too has the odd time signature thing going on which works well. Diggin how it also has that indie/ambient feel to it. It blends well with the rock style it has going on. One of my favorite aspects about Instrumental music is how well the instruments can do the story telling and I def get that here. Another band Ima check out 9/10

7. Umbrealla-Hollow:  This track/band feels like a fusion of KEEL/9GBO if that makes sense thanks to the Guitars which is pretty cool, considering I’m a fan of both (but more KEEL). Curious to see what else they have to offer cuz this song didn’t do much for me tbh. 6/10

8. The Novembers-Rhapsody in Beauty:  I’m familiar with some of the Novembers music but not this specific track/era! It’s surprisingly a lot lighter than the tracks I listened to/enjoyed but this was a pleasant listen! 7.5/10

9. Shodai-I am more than the Skin I live in: At this point, I’m just gonna have to ask Sei to make me a mix of purely instrumental songs because these are the highlights of the mix for me. This track starts off intense as fuck with some pretty nice Guitar work with the chords used then it mellows out to a chill/ambient vibe. I wish this track was longer because just when I expect it to explode again, it’s over! 10/10

10. Katatonia-Shifts:  The M3u file that Sei gave me didn’t work for some reason so I put this playlist in the order that it was in via the zip file so this flowed in perfectly from the last track! Where has this song/band been my entire life? A more tamer track than the last few but I love the key that its in and the sad/dark vibe that it gives off.  9/10

11. Sukekiyo-hemimetabolism: Don’t ask why but I never really payed much attention to this track or skipped it whenever I listen to this album, which isn’t much these days as with anything Sukekiyo unless it’s VITIUM.  Clearly I was doing myself a disservice here. This is mostly a dark/haunting instrumental track which already starts things off in the right direction. Can’t say it has much chill to me but fuck it, a ballin track is a ballin track. Time to go listen to Immortalis again 9/10

12. cali≠gari-深夜、貨物ヤード裏の埠頭からコンビナートを眺めていた:  Cali Gari is another band I have some knowledge of but who I never really delved into…why? Again, idk but this track is an indicator that I need to. Pretty mellow/hazy track which threw me into a bit of frenzy before the solo started thanks to the skipping but im sure that was part of the song. Nice end to the mix! I’ll def be going back to this!

You really put me on to some heat, Sei! 9.5/10 Overall!!!

Thank you!

46 minutes ago, Ro plz said:

I had my nigga @Seimeisen as my partner.

I know we have similar tastes in terms of bands but with this mix, i was able to get a more in depth feel for the other stuff he's into! Lets get it!

Spoiler

1. PELICAN FANCLUB-Chilico: Never really checked out these guys before! This track is a nice introduction to them though. Its rockin, gives off the dreamy vibe and its more on the uplifting side. I'm actually reminded a lot of the Pillows when I listen to this track. Not bad at all 7/10

2. PLASTIC TREE-遠国: Im BIG bad I slept on these dudes. This track is a nice blend of chill, rockin, and dark which is right up my alley. The solo's are fucking dope as well. I haven't stopped playing this since I first heard it. I'm def digging more into Plastic Tree. 10/10

3. Retinwaav-Trial of Merit: I always say i need to get more into instrumental music and this is why, right here. This was a peaceful yet intense track that Id def use in a movie starring myself. I need to write more joints like this.....9/10

4. BORIS-Ghost of Romance: Could it be....? Have i found a BORIS song that i actually like? I've tried getting into them before and they just weren't hittin. This track makes me wanna try again. I love the hazy, haunting vibe this track gives off. The background guitars/effects and vocals remind me a lot of the Novembers. Solid track 8/10

5. Northlane-OHM: Another band I haven't heard before! Not a big of fan of weird time signatures/djenty stuff unless its done right and these guys do it well. The vocals are the huge take away here alongside the instrumentals. A lot of these bands have some whiny, cringe Kellen Quinn tier vocals that ruin what was a perfectly good song, once the chorus/singing parts come in. This was not the case and i felt a nice tingling sensation in my wee wee when this dude sings. I like. 8/10

6. Cloudkicker-You and Yours: Another killer instrumental in the mix! It too has the odd time signature thing going on which works well. Diggin how it also has that indie/ambient feel to it. It blends well with the rock style it has going on. One of my favorite aspects about Instrumental music is how well the instruments can do the story telling and I def get that here. Another band Ima check out 9/10

7. Umbrealla-Hollow:  This track/band feels like a fusion of KEEL/9GBO if that makes sense thanks to the Guitars which is pretty cool, considering I’m a fan of both (but more KEEL). Curious to see what else they have to offer cuz this song didn’t do much for me tbh. 6/10

8. The Novembers-Rhapsody in Beauty:  I’m familiar with some of the Novembers music but not this specific track/era! It’s surprisingly a lot lighter than the tracks I listened to/enjoyed but this was a pleasant listen! 7.5/10

9. Shodai-I am more than the Skin I live in: At this point, I’m just gonna have to ask Sei to make me a mix of purely instrumental songs because these are the highlights of the mix for me. This track starts off intense as fuck with some pretty nice Guitar work with the chords used then it mellows out to a chill/ambient vibe. I wish this track was longer because just when I expect it to explode again, it’s over! 10/10

10. Katatonia-Shifts:  The M3u file that Sei gave me didn’t work for some reason so I put this playlist in the order that it was in via the zip file so this flowed in perfectly from the last track! Where has this song/band been my entire life? A more tamer track than the last few but I love the key that its in and the sad/dark vibe that it gives off.  9/10

11. Sukekiyo-hemimetabolism: Don’t ask why but I never really payed much attention to this track or skipped it whenever I listen to this album, which isn’t much these days as with anything Sukekiyo unless it’s VITIUM.  Clearly I was doing myself a disservice here. This is mostly a dark/haunting instrumental track which already starts things off in the right direction. Can’t say it has much chill to me but fuck it, a ballin track is a ballin track. Time to go listen to Immortalis again 9/10

12. cali≠gari-深夜、貨物ヤード裏の埠頭からコンビナートを眺めていた:  Cali Gari is another band I have some knowledge of but who I never really delved into…why? Again, idk but this track is an indicator that I need to. Pretty mellow/hazy track which threw me into a bit of frenzy before the solo started thanks to the skipping but im sure that was part of the song. Nice end to the mix! I’ll def be going back to this!

You really put me on to some heat, Sei! 9.5/10 Overall!!!

Thank you!

Glad you enjoyed everything!

• That's too bad that the M3U file didn't work, it was why I posted the original tracklist in the PM with the zip file I sent.
  • The Shodai, Retinwaav, and Cloudkicker albums are all on Bandcamp for free (or $1/release)!
  • That cali≠gari song is not what you should expect from them. Their sound is impossible to pin down, it's all over the place. The rest of 13 is a jazz album.
  • I used to ignore everything on IMMORTALIS after elizabeth addict. I don't remember how, but I was going through the album and amongst the 80 minutes of boring, hemimetabolism managed to catch my attention.
  • LISTEN TO KATATONIA'S "THE FALL OF HEARTS" IT IS FUCKING INCREDIBLE, IT WAS THE BEST ALBUM RELEASED IN 2016
  • THE NOVEMBERS' output between 2013-2015 is all gold!
  • I'm curious what BORIS stuff you've tried in the past... they're another band with a lot of variety, although maybe not as much as say cali≠gari. Their drone-y, 30 minute tracks are definitely NOT for everyone (although, if you want interesting background music if you're ever taking online midterms)

In conclusion, listen to every album featured in this mixtape (except IMMORTALIS obviously)

Damn it seems like I missed a really dope theme while I was away... oh well still had a good time reading through this thread :)

I might actually make a mix with this theme in mind anyways, it's been a while since I did anything mixtape related.