suji

Kaya new single, "Monday Monday" release

Chocolat's cuteness was nice but this is 2 much

I can't say the song isn't catchy though. And the gay storyline is sweet. I really wish Kaya would quit trying so hard to appeal to Western drag fans though; it's too forced. 

47 minutes ago, Zalemu said:

Chocolat's cuteness was nice but this is 2 much

I can't say the song isn't catchy though. And the gay storyline is sweet. I really wish Kaya would quit trying so hard to appeal to Western drag fans though; it's too forced. 

This! I wish he would stop trying too. We all know (have known for a long time) that he has more talent in one of his front lace wigs than any queen out there. I am all for more exposure, just without this western assimilation mess. The song isn’t bad and Kaya looks amazing as always, but I want my Goth synth queen back

1 hour ago, The Moon said:

schwarz stein are literally releasing an album this fall tho

I can’t wait, these two together are pure magic! I thought it was just a mini though? And don’t get me wrong, I will always support Kaya. These past two single just do nothing for him. I love me some RPDR queens, but stylistically and vocally Kaya is on another level than what most (if not all of them) do. And these songs just sound like something they would do. 

"Monday Monday" will also be released in advance at Kaya's live on July 16 for 3000 yen; benefits include a 32-page A4-size brochure and the PV offshot.

3 hours ago, darkindastad said:

I can’t wait, these two together are pure magic! I thought it was just a mini though? And don’t get me wrong, I will always support Kaya. These past two single just do nothing for him. I love me some RPDR queens, but stylistically and vocally Kaya is on another level than what most (if not all of them) do. And these songs just sound like something they would do. 

kaya has been from the jump an artist who loves club/dance/pop music with occasional dalliances in other genres: her VERY FIRST SINGLE, kaleidoscope, fell into this vein.

why the fuck are y'all so salty when kaya has said MULTIPLE TIMES that she  intends to further explore darker sounds with schwarz stein? that side of kaya ain't going away. 

the level of ignorance in this thread is fucking ridiculous. 

FURTHERMORE, while a lot of RPDR queens make campy music, many do not, so i find fault with you equating them all together.  ginger minj, jinx monsoon, shea coulee, aja, trixie mattel etc, make "serious music", not unlike kaya.  drag music is the closest thing to vk in the west & TBH these queens r much more authentic than a bunch of misshapen scandivanian assholes screaming in broken japanese.

Edited by The Moon

Ever since he started gaining some attention in the drag queen world his music turned to absolute garbage. So it’s been two or three years since he released something decent. Pity. 

7 hours ago, The Moon said:

& TBH these queens r much more authentic than a bunch of misshapen scandivanian assholes screaming in broken japanese.

my uterussy is in physical pain I shouldn't scream at the internet things so loud anymore omg

2 hours ago, Lestat said:

Ever since he started gaining some attention in the drag queen world his music turned to absolute garbage. So it’s been two or three years since he released something decent. Pity. 

find another faves x

Edited by nekkichi

Even tough I do  agree that these new songs are shit if compared to the old ones, I think it has nothing to do with the western drag queen scene or that she's sounding like this now in order to appeal to the western audience. If that was the case, she'd be explicitly singing about dicks and partying in engrish. 

She's just trying something new. It sucks, yes, but not only because it's happy and upbeat.

I mean, she has other happy songs that are pretty good, like Chocolat, but it's because of her older influences,like gothic stuff, cabaret and French music, while this is just some lame ass generic pop garbage.

16 hours ago, Lestat said:

he has always been involved heavily in the drag scene

educate yourself sis.  

Not a fan of the whole "school" theme in MVs, but the video looks cute, the song sounds cute, and Kaya looks nice.

A part of me almost feels like this song will blow up because of stan twitter/RPDR stans.

13 minutes ago, ahnchc said:

Not a fan of the whole "school" theme in MVs, but the video looks cute, the song sounds cute, and Kaya looks nice.

A part of me almost feels like this song will blow up because of stan twitter/RPDR stans.

Is she that popular with RPDR stans? Any report how crowded her booth at the DragCon were?

Just now, LIDL said:

Is she that popular with RPDR stans? Any report how crowded her booth at the DragCon were?

To my knowledge, she isn't very popular. The tweet on the official DragCon twitter only got about 10 favs, and Kaya's tweet only got about 118. I can't imagine her booth got much attraction, and I honestly wish that I had went just to see.

RPDR stans and stan twitter in general get things around fast, though. It wouldn't surprise me if this song blew up considering it has the very popular and trendy poppy sound, and features drag (both things stan twitter is head over heels for). People seemed to be enjoying her performances in LA too (assuming this based on what she posted).

I've listened to it a few more times and it's definitely grown on me. It still mostly sounds like background music but it's fairly catchy and pretty cute and I'm liking it a whole lot more than I would have expected based on my initial impressions. The super adorable music video helps too.

I'd still prefer to have the gothic stuff back (and I don't just mean the darker stuff; even when he's strayed into pop territory in the past he's kept a lot of the gothic elements in play), but as long as Schwarz Stein is still active then I guess it wouldn't be the worst thing in the world for Kaya to keep doing this purely pop sort of thing. Honestly, if he toned the cutesy thing down a little (and the pink thing down a lot), this would probably be one of my favourite phases of his.