chemicalpictures

MiA (ex-MEJIBRAY) new band, "Sugar or Dry" has formed

I haven't gone through similar levels of cognitive dissonance re: looks and sound ever since I familiarized myself with XXX tentacion speaking/singing voice earlier this year, yikes

it really feels like 90 % of VK is recorded with one of the two vocal EQ presets - one for same sounding deep vocal tone (cue VARYLL, under fall justice, deathgaze), and another one for generic oshare helium chipmunk chanteusing

3 hours ago, monkeybanana4 said:

Um, yikes. Everyone in the short music video clip looks insanely bored.

The keyboardist's face lowkey trying to hold off laughter tbh

1 hour ago, Doesn'tEvenGoHere said:

I can't shake the idea off that this is a giant prank. 

Yeah, that’s the feeling I’m getting too. They already did one fake out, I’m 75% sure that this is the same thing (although I can’t place the origin of the song). MiA is just fishing for hype at this point, and failing.

On 5/11/2018 at 6:36 PM, Cristate said:

One thing I'm upset about as a bassist is that I've checked that chick's YouTube channel and she started playing the bass a couple months ago and has a begginer level.
Thus

- She didn't record SoD's first music, that's for sure, MiA did it
- She probably will do like Koichi and pretend to play bass most of the time, which is extremely frustrating for musicians who purchase a ticket to see people "playing live".

That probably bothers just me anyway.
MiA probably met her at some Gucci/Versace party and was like "oh your fanbase be huge let's make a band, don't mind the music, just mind the money" and that's disappointing coming from such a talented person. He can make a living and be an honest musician too, he has the fanbase for it...

Quoting myself but what a surprise to see that even in the MV Spot the bassist is not playing a single accurate note, her left hand is barely even moving, while the drums, guitar and lip-syncing is actually accurate.

When did they schedule the big reveal of all of this actually being the best prank of 2k18 ? Please ?

4 hours ago, Yukami said:

Okay, so I admit the full version sounds better. Still, it bothers me that, as people have already mentioned in this thread, the bassist is obviously fake-playing. They're all just trying to sell a hit song and be done with it. You know what I really don't get, though? Why MiA's even doing this. I mean, yeah, for the money, but... why? He already got super popular with MEJIBRAY, so I don't see how he thinks this will represent him any more positively than that or make him any richer. I know he's easy to make fun of - hell, I did it in my last comment - but he's better than this. Say what you want about his nose job and what-have-you, but he has talent and he's wasting it.

Edited by Gesu
Typo

28 minutes ago, Saishu said:

Was Mejibray “super popular” though? I feel like Western VK fanbases oversell their favorites quite a bit. 

They were more popular than a lot of artists. Even if you don't like them, you've at least heard of them.

2 hours ago, Gesu said:

Why MiA's even doing this.

idol bands tend to sell better than generic mainstream rock, and chances are he hated playing heavy music in the first place, but the opportunity to do something different commercially was not there.

2 minutes ago, nekkichi said:

idol bands tend to sell better than generic mainstream rock, and chances are he hated playing heavy music in the first place, but the opportunity to do something different commercially was not there.

So no matter what he does, he's selling out. I think I've lost a lot of respect for this man. Still, there is that part of me saying "maybe not" because, love him or hate him, he is talented, so he at least put the hard work in... ahh, it's difficult. Maybe this is just one of those wait-and-see things. In my first comment in this thread (in which I'm probably getting too invested), I said I'd give 'em two years since their beginning. If it gets to May 2020 and he's still doing this, I'm giving up on MiA entirely.

47 minutes ago, Gesu said:

So no matter what he does, he's selling out. I think I've lost a lot of respect for this man.

let's just say it's not the first band to end up like this, I'm still vomiting internally over what former soroban/zoro members are doing on their own under their idol management agencies at the moment.

I don't understand why he does this shit under old name (while there're always hypothetical options of working behind the scenes composing same stuff for no-talent hussiz) or why he didn't go down the ad CM music composer route or something non-embarrassing mainstream, but it's his career and his choice at the end.

On 10/27/2018 at 10:35 AM, Cristate said:

Quoting myself but what a surprise to see that even in the MV Spot the bassist is not playing a single accurate note, her left hand is barely even moving, while the drums, guitar and lip-syncing is actually accurate.

When did they schedule the big reveal of all of this actually being the best prank of 2k18 ? Please ?

How come Koichi does not actually play his on stage? Do you have actual proofs of it? I'm pretty sure he always did, and thus considered him very talented for trying to do it while jumping, dancing and cheering up the public in general...