inartistic

vk.gy - visual kei library

I pretty much filled in as much information about Memento Mori and Kuroyuri as possible and I gotta say, I really like the format of this site. It was a bit tricky to get around at first, but once I got the hang of it, it was pretty straightforward. 

I started adding LUNA SEA! Anyone who feel like they want to contribute please do so. The bands history is so long and they've done so much it'll take me months to make a complete biography lmao.

https://vk.gy/artists/luna-sea/

There's a lot of detailed information on their early history here: https://ja.wikipedia.org/wiki/LUNA_SEA / other places on the internet / english sources etc

Req. artist editing permissions. 

I need to organize/make scans of my own collection anyway so it's a good way to give back to the community.

Also, the site is really clean :D.

Also, it's probably old news, but this is a ftp server with some hq scans that may or may not be useful:

http://djag.jp/flyer/

Edited by colorfuljinsei

On 4/4/2018 at 1:39 AM, inartistic said:

Hi! Just doing a bit of self-promotion 🙇 Hope that's ok!

(2018-04-03)-vkgy.png

vk.gy

Artist list 🌹 Database 🌹 Twitter 🌹 YouTube 🌹 Facebook

Last year, I launched a new visual kei database called vk.gy. (Pronounced ブイケージ or v-k-g.)

It's a visual kei information site, like a mixture of grassthread/visunavi/vkdb. It has artist profiles, member histories, extensive discographies, exclusive images, and more. If you're a visual kei fan, I think you'll find it a really good resource (in addition to those other sites).

---

There are several points that I think make it special:

• Unique/additional information: artists, releases, etc that aren't in other database.
  • Fact-based: if something is unconfirmed or a date is unclear, there's usually a note about it (no made-up information like Wikipedia/overseas fansites).
  • Built for overseas fans: always includes Japanese and romaji text.
  • You can “collect” releases that you own (if you have an account).
  • Exclusive images/scans from the collections of contributors.
  • A different flyer uploaded every day.
  • Different artist highlighted each day: learn about someone new.
  • Anyone can add to the database (contact me if you'd like to help). Currently @suji,@Peace Heavy mk II,@Biopanda,@robkun, and myself contribute a lot of information (thanks guys 💕). 
  • Custom built for visual kei. So things like random capitalization and symbols are respected, unlike Wikipedia etc. And it's also easier to add new features or change things.

---

Some random examples of pages with unique information:

---

So please check it out and let me know what you think! If you'd like to contribute, or have suggestions, just send me a message!

I'm always working on it, so new features/etc. are on the horizon.

vk.gy

🌹 Full artist list

🌹 Latest updates to the database

🌹 Twitter (very active)

🌹 YouTube

🌹 Facebook (not yet active)

That's some great work indeed. I registered at manicure and would love to contribute if possible.

The only thing that is missing and would make it the ultimate vkei database would be adding discography entries similar to discogs (all releases a musician is featured in showing up in their individual pages, and being able to add credits with artist links to each discography entry). I know that would be a lot of work though.

also in the musician's page band history, if the time periods and position would be mentioned it would be cool. fields for guest appearances, special session bands and the like would also make it more interesting I guess!

On 4/21/2018 at 10:18 PM, 薔薇の末裔 said:

That's some great work indeed. I registered at manicure and would love to contribute if possible.

The only thing that is missing and would make it the ultimate vkei database would be adding discography entries similar to discogs (all releases a musician is featured in showing up in their individual pages, and being able to add credits with artist links to each discography entry). I know that would be a lot of work though.

also in the musician's page band history, if the time periods and position would be mentioned it would be cool. fields for guest appearances, special session bands and the like would also make it more interesting I guess!

Thank you!

I gave permissions to your account, so you can now add more than releases. You might need to sign out and sign back in for the changes to take effect. Please see this page for a quick primer. If you need more help, feel free to message me!

What you suggested is a good idea, and something similar will be added in the future. Maybe the far future :P

On 4/23/2018 at 11:08 AM, borutara said:

wow, I thought I haven't register yet, but I entered my id and password, then hit the login button... whoa, logged in!!

You might have registered back when it was weloveucp.com :) Anyway, thanks for joining!

I'd like to have an account there but every time I try to register the registration page returns to the home page like 2 seconds after I opened it (I'm not so fast to fill all my data in that short of time).

Is it only me? I have Firefox as a browser.

Edited by Arkady

10095-.jpg

Just a random screenshot from vkgy 💕

Hi all! Just wanted to bump this thread with some updates regarding vkgy.

---

New and updated features

• Collect releases: show that you own, want, or are selling a release. Collections display on your profile, along with an estimated total worth. You can download your collection (or just the items you're selling) in .csv format, for easy import into Google Docs.
  • Comments: users can comment on news, artist pages, release pages, and VIP posts. The main page has a feed of all recent comments.
  • Flyer of the day: a random exclusive flyer scan is uploaded each day. Many have never been seen before, and we have enough lined up for the next ten years(!).
  • Exclusive artist info: many artist profiles feature new information that is not present at other sites. Use the “exclusive” filter on the artists index to see them.
  • Exclusive images: if you've uploaded your own scan to vkgy, mark it as “exclusive,” and it will be watermarked with “vk.gy” and your username. Only VIP members (and the original uploader, regardless of VIP status) can view the full-size, unwatermarked version.
  • MP3/music tagging: users can now use vkgy as a data source within Mp3tag to automatically tag their music files with artist, album, song titles, date, and cover. Both Japanese and romaji tags are supplied. To install this feature, sign in at vkgy, go to your user profile, then navigate to Edit Account.
  • Artist popularity (beta): a graph of live activity has been added to artist profiles. And based on the size of each livehouse, an estimation of popularity has been assigned to each band that has live data.
  • Tag artists and releases (beta): artists and releases can now be assigned tags, such as “oldschool” or “rare,” from a predefined list. Releases can also be searched by tags (search by artist tag will be available in the future). *Note:* please feel free to suggest tags that should be implemented!

Social media

• Twitter @vkgy_: where I'm most active; also includes news, artist of day, flyer of day.
  • Facebook at vkgyofficial: includes news, artist of day, flyer of day.
  • YouTube at vkgyofficial: occasional unboxings, VIP-exclusive videos, and other random content.
  • Signature banner: use your custom banner link to display the latest news, flyer, and artist updates, plus your username and collection size. (You can see mine below. To get yours, add this link to your signature: https://vk.gy/sig.jpg?yourUsernameHere)

Patreon (details inside spoiler, to be slightly less annoying)

Spoiler

• vkgy is on Patreon!
  • If you enjoy the site, you can help it keep running by contributing any amount. All contributors receive a special mention on the main page.
  • $5/month grants VIP privileges (see below), and $15/month grants VIP privileges + advertising spot on the main page.
  • Sold Out! Early pledgers of $5/month or more received a large, die-cut vkgy logo sticker.
  • VIP members get a badge beside their name on vkgy, plus:
  • Exclusive images can be viewed at full size and without any watermarks.
  • Full access to development log.
  • Exclusive mini-forum for suggestions/fixes, and priority for implementing them. (Some VIP suggestions that have been implemented: release tagging, artist popularity, larger scans, etc.)
  • Early access to new features. (VIP members have had early access to: collection updates, artist popularity, release tagging, Mp3tag integration, and more.)
  • Choose featured artist on main page (in the works).
  • More features in the future (e.g. when using vkgy with Mp3tag, automatically pull full-width artist names, etc.).

Contributing to vkgy

• If you'd like to contribute to vkgy, please make an account first. All users have the ability to comment on artists/releases/news, so feel free to point out corrections or additional information.
  • All users can tag artists/releases.
  • All users can add/edit releases.
  • If you would like permission to add/edit artists, please contact me (@vkgy_ on Twitter, vkgyofficial on Facebook, or here).
  • I want you want to help with social media or some other aspect of the site, contact me and we can look into it.

---

Once again, I want to thank everyone for their involvement and support (special thanks to all Patreon supporters, and contributors to the site).

As always, please feel free to let me know if you have any suggestions or concerns. Thanks!

For those interested in Dir en grey and their predecessor bands, I have spent the last weeks and months collecting information and updating their entries. ^_^

Make sure to check them out, you can find information that isn't anywhere else on the internet! :o

Special shoutout to @inartistic for enduring my endless walls of texts, random questions and requests and my general Dir en grey craziness. :D

Edited by Seelentau

May someone with the possibility to edit Labels create the "Veletta" one among them, please? (So I can add it to New Sodmy releases )

If someone would also be so kind as to add the few concerts dates from these mini flyers on the Biography timeline, please:

tumblr_pebw1g4agu1rhn2beo1_540.jpgtumblr_pebw1g4agu1rhn2beo2_540.jpg

Edited by Arkady

@inartistic If I have magazine scans, should I edit the files to leave just the images of the band, or do full-size page scans, which may include the text from interviews, have a place on the site? I imagine there's plenty of obscure info that could potentially be gleaned from old articles, but I guess dealing with a bunch of large images might be troublesome as well?

Edited by SakuraFox512

On 5/16/2019 at 10:01 AM, SakuraFox512 said:

@inartistic If I have magazine scans, should I edit the files to leave just the images of the band, or do full-size page scans, which may include the text from interviews, have a place on the site? I imagine there's plenty of obscure info that could potentially be gleaned from old articles, but I guess dealing with a bunch of large images might be troublesome as well?

I would:

1. Add the band images to the site if they look good,

2. Join the Discord server with the full scans so that someone (me?) can add the information.

12 minutes ago, Laurence02 said:

I would:

1. Add the band images to the site if they look good,

2. Join the Discord server with the full scans so that someone (me?) can add the information.

This 😁 Although it's technically possible to host the full-page scans, I think it's better if we stick to official promo material like band images and flyers. You can dump the text stuff into the #research channel on our Discord server. Thanks for asking! @SakuraFox512