Zeus

Recommended Tracks: Winter 2018

Recommended Tracks: Winter 2018  

37 members have voted

1. 1. What tracks from the last three months revolutionized your life?

• "THE IIID EMPIRE" by Dir en grey
    • "無礼王 (Burei Ou)" by Develop one's faculties
    • "The Gate To My Funeral" by Earthstream
    • "傷痕" by キズ (Kizu)
    • "アンインテリジブル" (Unintelligble) by Develop one's faculties
    • "LOVELESS" by DARIAN MARIAN
    • "ヴィーナスの恋人" (Lover from Venus) by クウチュウ戦 (Koochewsen)
    • "Shedding" by The fin
    • "貴方だけを壊して飾ってみたい〜Chantyの世界へようこそ2〜 ver." (Anata dake o kowashite kazatte mitai〜Chanty no sekai e yokosou 2〜 ver.) by Chanty
    • "偽りのシンパシー ft.アイナ・ジ・エンド(BiSH)" False Sympathy ft. AiNA THE END (BiSH) by MONDO GROSSO
    • "Sanfransokyo Girl" by Satellite Young
    • "掌で踊る" (tenohira de odoru) by そこに鳴る (sokoninaru)
    • "Chocolate Passion" by 凛として時雨 (Rin Toshite Shigure)
    • "毒苺" (Dokuichigo) by ヴァージュ(Virge)
    • "Invisible Individual" by IIII-Ligro-
    • "this is 芸術" (this is Geijutsu) by Develop One's Faculties
    • "Merry Ghost Land" by 爆烈ストーム!! ( Bakuretsu Storm!!)
    • "Modrý sen" by UQiYO
    • "輪廻" (Rinne) by リベリオ (RIBELIO)
    • "Garden in a Lost Place" by Narumi
    • "ROTTEN ORANGE" by アクメ (ACME)
    • KISS OF DEATH (Produced by HYDE) by 中島美嘉 (Mika Nakashima)
    • "「リストカットして」" (risutokattoshite) by ゴシップ (Gossip)
    • "やさしくしてね" (yasashiku shite ne) by ゴールデンボンバー (Golden Bomber)
    • "Falling" by The GazettE
    • "エンド" (End) by Reol
    • "ここは悩む場所じゃない" (This Is Not the Place to Have a Dilemma) by SWARRRM
    • "愛のうた" (Song for love) by SWARRRM
    • "自由" (Freedom) by SWARRRM

A3UCDeR.png

Hey everyone! It's been a while since our last Recommended Tracks segment since we moved from a monthly release to a quarterly release. That means there's plenty of new music for us to nerd out over, and so far 2018 has not disappointed us!  New format, same good quality of thoughts and music. Hopefully you see something you like and find something new too!

@Zeus' picks

"THE IIID EMPIRE" by Dir en grey

ac5b872442c529469fda6ed59e076408.jpg#ac5

Dir en grey's newest album VESTIGE OF SCRATCHES is a mammoth three-disc collection of all the tracks that represent the band at their finest. The collection spans twenty years and nearly three different phases of the band's career, so it was really hard to pick one track to highlight the whole album. I eventually settled on "THE IIID EMPIRE (2018)" for several reasons. The first is that it's one of the few Dir en grey re-recordings where the new version of the track isn't an experimental mess or bloated with half-baked ideas that didn't work as well as intended. It keeps all the aspects of the original which made it entertaining while also throwing in another helping of metal and harsh vocals to push the track towards the extreme in all the right places. The production amplifies this raw feeling. I can see this track bringing a crowd to a fever pitch. It doesn't represent all of Dir en grey, but it represents everything about them that I like.

"無礼王 (Burei Ou)" by Develop one's faculties

374091c58fd103c9722e0f64c87c6898.jpg#374

Develop one's faculties is one of the more curious up and coming visual indie bands of the last few years, always dropping music that is at worst consistent and enjoyable. Their newest album, 不恰好な街と僕と君 (Bukakkou na Machi to Boku to Kimi), continues this legacy and "無礼王" is the standout bop from this release. It's one of those album songs that's so good, it could work as a single. Effects buzz in and around the sound stage as the band seduces the listener with a spicier delivery to the verses and a subtly shifting melody that explodes into the refrain at the end. It's so catchy and infectious, with a chorus that can get stuck in your head far after it's done. This could be the track that tips listeners on the fence into the camp of DOF, if this style of music is up your alley.

NOTE: I could not find the video for this song so I linked the album digest :)

"The Gate To My Funeral" by Earthstream

34ab05b10916acd40855bcf5519dd7c6.jpg#34a

Earthstream sits high on the council for melodic death metal realness, with Earth Scream bringing old school death metal sensibilities into a new era. The polish of the entire album from beginning to end is a testament to the chemistry all the band members have - they started as a pair of graduates of Tokyo University with a passion for this style of music - and the best example of all of these qualities is the song "The Gate to My Funeral". A mix of crushing heavy and black metal riffs and synth in the verses contrasts well with the power metal flourishes of the choruses, and the throaty yet subdued gutturals are a nice change of pace from what passes as harsh vocals in visual kei. @kurenaishineek's comparison to early Blood Stain Child was accurate, and I can also safely recommend this to those who enjoy doujin artists in the vein of Imperial Circus Dead Decadence, Thousand Leaves, or Kissing the Mirror.

@tetsu_sama69's picks

"傷痕" by キズ (Kizu)

img_top_new.jpg

An explosive opening sets an energetic tone for the jam packed powerhouse of a song titled "傷痕 (Kizuato)" from Kizu. Surprisingly I didn't expect vocalist LIME to have such diversity when it comes to executing such rough vocals, shifting from screams and clean so perfectly. The whole track exists as a headbanger's delight with non-stop instrumentals and a drum line that carries "Kizuato" from beginning to end. Kizu also manages to compose an amazing song that does overwhelm you with unnecessary synths and doesn't need a guitar solo to fill any gaps because it's such a solid track. Granted it's somewhat obvious there are some "CHILD PREY" (by DIR EN GREY) influences in the style but Kizu has put in a spin on it in their own way making it stand out as more than a possible homage. If Kizu hasn't made a blip on the visual radar yet for anyone out there "Kizuato" should definitely get them more attention for the long term.

"アンインテリジブル" (Unintelligble) by Develop one's faculties

img20180124021649355578.jpg

I haven't been able to get this song out of my head since it first appeared as a taste of what is to come from Develop One's Faculties' 2nd album 不恰好な街と僕と君 (Bukakkou na Machi to Boku to Kimi). "Unintelligible" is an unforgettable banger from it's spoken lyrics to its musical composition. Also you'll have a hard time resisting the urge to count down from 7 over and over after listening to it. Its frantic rhythm and infectious instrumentals are doing a fantastic job at setting the bar high for the current generation of visual bands. One of my favorite parts is the sudden piano break that flows perfectly with the eccentric lifeblood that makes "Unintelligible" thrive. 不恰好な街と僕と君 (Bukakkou na Machi to Boku to Kimi) as a whole album is fantastically solid and definitely is on my personal list for best of the year so far. If "Unintelligible" has sunk its hooks into you then you should try the rest of the release.

"LOVELESS" by DARIAN MARIAN

cd552f61b20590e888ad2050f2ab6fdf.jpg#cd5

DARIAN MARIAN's 1st release "Loveless" falls nothing short of a band that's composed of 3/4's of GENGAH's previous members. There's a lot of talent packed into this group and all of it shows. "Loveless" is jam-packed with delightfully solid instrumentals and spiced with a vocalist that's hard to get enough of. The guitars are a treat from giving the song a haunting presence to shifting to a surge of powerful riffs and solos, I just wish the bass lines had a bit more of a shine but it doesn't take anything from "Loveless" as a whole. DARIAN MARIAN's "Loveless" appears as a taste of things to come for the future establishing their style without pulling any punches. It's great to see Hajime (now Seijiro) return to the scene with a band that can compose great songs such as "Loveless" and I can only hope their future release "poison" is just as amazing.

@fitear1590's picks

"ヴィーナスの恋人" (Lover from Venus) by クウチュウ戦 (Koochewsen)

35auohd.jpg

If there's one current band that never fails me, it's Koochewsen. In their first digital single, they experiment with a softer side, with feathery synths and warm strumming forging a supple, dreamy atmosphere. In the song's outro, the keyboardist Kaoru takes me back to 90s Sega video game soundtracks and the group rocks out in their more typical, proggy fashion. The accompanying video is also charmingly perplexing.

"Shedding" by The fin

1rz2gn.jpg

Based on the singles released leading up to The fin.’s next album There, they are further exploring the wispier sound of their previous Through the Deep EP. While I've taken some issue with this development in the past, as every track starts to sound like just an interlude, "Shedding" introduces some much-needed edge into the band's sound. Rhythmic pulsating synths make for an engaging, driving beat to this promotional track. And visually, an aspect where the group has never faltered, we're treated to yet another display of sumptuous cinematography.

"貴方だけを壊して飾ってみたい〜Chantyの世界へようこそ2〜 ver." (Anata dake o kowashite kazatte mitai〜Chanty no sekai e yokosou 2〜 ver.) by Chanty

34oyjq9.jpg

Chanty is such an important band for visual kei. Seamlessly blending indie rock guitar with more traditional VK flare (Akuta's exaggerated vocals and tons of fake blood in the PV), the band continues to capitalize on their crossover appeal. For the occasion of their second full album, they've revamped one of their previous live-limited singles. Deeper bass, crispier riffs and drumming, and a more confident vocal performance make for a very commendable rerecording--even better than the original, which was already a hit!

"偽りのシンパシー ft.アイナ・ジ・エンド(BiSH)" False Sympathy ft. AiNA THE END (BiSH) by MONDO GROSSO

2dbjssn.jpg

MONDO GROSSO's "Labyrinth" proved to be one of my favorite tracks and videos from 2017.  I did not expect to be impressed by this electronic solo artist again so soon. From the new album Attune / Detune, "False Sympathy" features a slow, loungey 'heartbeat' (emphasis on beat) that gradually grows into a house banger. AiNA THE END (from BiSH) overlays her sultry vocals to dynamic effect, matching the different moods the track jumps through. Plus, her evocative dance choreography pairs well with the video's intimate shallow focus, one-take shooting style, and simple light design. Perhaps, the only visual misstep is the gratuitous reliance on panty shots that will make you think you're watching a live-action version of Najica Blitz Tactics.

"Sanfransokyo Girl" by Satellite Young

rwnv6a.jpg

I have a pretty low and specific tolerance for the use of Engrish in Japanese music, but the new PV track from self-proclaimed '80s synthpop duo' Satellite Young does just the trick for me! The melodies, the drum beats... everything is set to transport you back a few decades to a twinkling world where everything is dripping in neon pink and curacao blue. This brand-new PV comes off the band's awesome 2017 self-titled album, but this nostalgic group needs some more love here on MH.

"掌で踊る" (tenohira de odoru) by そこに鳴る (sokoninaru)

dwzz4m.jpg

Sokoninaru have often drawn comparisons to ling tosite sigure, thanks to their highly frenetic approach to composition. While the technical acrobatics always impress me, I do wonder if most of the enjoyment is in the precise production of the studio recording, which highlights every flourish of bass, each creative drum fill, and all of the guitar wankery. I get the feeling that the band just wouldn't sound as spectacular performing live, but hey, that's just speculation. In any case, if you're digging this PV track, be sure to check out their fourth mini-album ゼロ (zero) coming out May 9.

@emmny's picks

"Chocolate Passion" by 凛として時雨 (Rin Toshite Shigure)

362da3463c5a49a9c985c1a54f1204a8.jpg#362

Surprisingly, the way I got into Japanese music wasn't through visual kei *gasp*. Before I was a professional weeaboo, I was a die hard indie rocker. By some odd turn of events, I was put onto Rin Toshite Shigure. I was watching a documentary on same-sex rights in Asia, and there was a song in the film that was so dazzlingly beautiful that I had to hunt it down. It was melancholy, the vocals were this ungendered wailing whisper, floating over a jangling acoustic guitar and lone clean lead line. I didn't have to look far, it was in the description--"eF" by Rin Toshite Shigure, except in the original kanji. I had no clue what this was or meant, but i google searched it and found the track belonged to a Japanese alternative rock band with math-rock and shoegaze influences. I was in love before I even listened to the rest of their stuff, but if you're familiar with the band, you know few of their songs are ballads like "eF". So, I was in for a rude awakening. I also remember the first song I listened to after was "Telecastic fake show", and what a fucking thrill that was. It was unlike anything I had ever heard, and still remains to be unique among the thousands of artists I've listened to--the screeching guitars, dueling male/female vocals, punchy basslines, skeletal drums. I remember going to the dentist with my brother and my dad, and I was so obsessed by the band at this point, I was blasting "nakano kill you" going down the main road with the windows open, and attempting to scream along and explaining just why this band is so good. It was 2013. They also happened to release their last full-length album five years ago, but 2018 brings a follow up to 2013's i'mperfect with #5 on Valentine's Day, after a string of ani-song releases and TK's solo efforts. Most of my peers on here will argue that the magic that brought us to Rin Toshite Shigure has since died down--hell, it was on the downswing even when I had discovered them--and I have no answer for them. As for me, I'm just happy to recall those lovely memories as I sat and typed out this spiel, "Chocolate Passion" playing in the background. The unhinged frenzy and punk energy has quieted down significantly, but what can you expect from a band active for the past 16 years? While they now come in this polished, shiny package, the song writing is still razor-sharp, with a few surprises here and there. Keep this track in mind for when the weather warms up, Rin Toshite Shigure have done an exceptional job of sound tracking that summer angst, so play it with the windows down and try to forget what could've been.

"毒苺" (Dokuichigo) by  ヴァージュ(Virge)

virge-toxi.jpg

Virge gives us the 90's revivalist razzle-dazzle once again, but this time changing the palette. The Virge-isms are still there, plodding bass, saccharine vocals, dramatic synths and gyakudai-inciting-shouts. The notable surprises include more treble-y guitar chords, a throwback lead-line, cinematic solo, and a fast-moving rhythm section. Also, I don't know who produced this but its an incredible change from their awfully-mixed prior releases, everything occupies its space in the mix with harmony. The opening hits with a thick, audible bassline following the 90's-chords and lead by Sizuki, who has improved a heck-ton since first debuting with MALISEND. A vocal solo by Ryo leads the song into a breakdown with heavy toms by Aru, and an ominous instrumental from both guitarists. The vocals come back in, and drumming fills lead to harsh vocals, Grieva-style. This is barely the first minute, but it's exhilarating just how much they throw at the listener before they even get to the chorus at the near halfway mark of the song. Listen further to catch all the frills in the track, especially the signature, dazzling chorus. A convoluted structure doesn't mean this is a great song, but the mix of stylistic reverence and novelty, sharp songwriting and improved musicianship make Virge the hottest name in the old school revival.

"Invisible Individual" by IIII-Ligro-

index1920.jpg

IIII-Ligro have an odd cult following on here, probably also characteristic of their band's live attendance. Admittedly, they're a one hit wonder for most, with only "Higanbana" infiltrating the ranks of vk-PV-compilation-youtube at 100k views. If they're not known by name for their music, whether it be one track or others, it's for the way they left. Thank god that is all in the wind, as the band have revived with the intent of producing serious music. Some preface to their new-ish sound, IIII-Ligro's revival style has been around in some way or another even after the band originally went on hiatus in the form of various sessions bands, as covered here by our fantastic @Zeus. Their session work hinted at their new direction by way of the very, very apparent UROBOROS by DIR EN GREY influence. This is in full "Blossoming Beezlebub" mode with "INVISIBLE INDIVIDUAL" *see what i did there?* ;). It's a bit later down the career trajectory of their favourite band, but without the full on deathcore vibe. 99% of bands that attempted that era of DEG either wiped out, promptly stopped, or gave us such foul shit that'll never be wiped from our collective consciousness. The two tracks IIII-Ligro have shown us so far bite the trend, and give a solid chance at being the 1% to actually do the challenging, progressive era justice. The song floats, bobbing up and down with the tide but staying at a mostly dirgy, slow pace. Hinata's vocals anchor the chaotic instrumental, taming the dueling guitars, shifting drumlines and rumbling basswork. There's not much of a pop structure at play here, but the song isn't entirely free form either. While the band are giving us a challenging showing, they aren't being played by the song, if that makes any sense. Here's to a new trailblazer in the indies scene, and who might end up out-DEGing DEG.

@plastic_rainbow's picks

"this is 芸術" (this is Geijutsu) by Develop One's Faculties

59cd38f0dceae8d4a9ddd6fddda39788.jpg#59c

The newest album from Develop One's Faculties不恰好な街と僕と君 (Bukakkou na Machi to Boku to Kimi), is admittingly weaker than their previous releases, but the one new track that stood out to me was "this is 芸術". Literally meaning 'this is art', the title seems to mock the VK scene or perhaps it's merely a justification of their definition of 'art'. In any case, they certainly know they're the saviors of art-kei. The sly basslines, Yuya's signature rippling guitars and his irresistible vocals with his 'oh oh oh', you can't help but to sing along and move your body to this addictive rhythm. 

"Merry Ghost Land" by 爆烈ストーム!! ( Bakuretsu Storm!!)

En9UTtp.jpg

They may look cheap with their simple white hoodies splattered with an eye graphic design but at least they know what they're doing in terms of music. Bakuretsu Storm!! is a newcomer that brings a refreshing taste to the constant wave of mostly tone-deaf or average-sounding vocalists. Not often do we hear a new VK band with a vocalist that can, well, actually sing and give a strong impression once a song ends. "Merry Ghost Land" is both a light and dark song, with spooky chimes and heavy guitar riffs that introduce a spectral atmosphere, and soft clean vocals that give a lightheartedness to their not-so-creepy land of ghosts. Only problem with the song is that the drumming is a tad loud and could be toned down a bit. But other than that I can see the band going places in the future, most notably the vocalist, that is if they don't call it quits before the year ends.

@doombox's pick

"Modrý sen" by UQiYO

s_out_03.jpg

I just recently stumbled onto UQiYO, an indie pop duo that have been working together in one form or another for the last eight years. The group began a monthly song release series, 'Monthly SHONEN UQiYO' last April, purposefully to question the usual album-style collection of songs and if it's necessary for the modern artist. "Modrý sen" (Trans: Blue Dream), their February offering, is a dreamy synth-pop journey with sparkling guitar and understated, somber vocals that hits you right in the feels.

@helcchi's picks

"輪廻" (Rinne) by リベリオ (RIBELIO)

hLHHpDC.jpg

With song titles like “Aggression”, “Mass of Hatred” and “虐 (cruelty)”, it's no surprise that all of RIBELIO's output until now have been unadulterated heaviness. However that changes with their latest single ERROR MIND. “輪廻” (Rinne), the third track on the single, is a djent-driven plodding ballad filled with delicate nuances that blossom into a colorful flourish of melody. The song starts with typical RIBELIO fashion with its heavy riffage, but by the second half of the song, “輪廻” throws away all of their aggression as they allow their emotions and vulnerabilities to seep through. Minimal lyrics permeate the landscape of the song as the distorted guitars give way to clean tones, painting an imagery of sunlight shining through storm clouds. By the time this writing is published, RIBELIO will have already disbanded, leaving "輪廻" as their swansong. And as the music fades off, echoes of longing remain lingering in the air. Pouring every ounce of their creativity into this last endeavor, it is a touching goodbye. Despite being around for less than two years, the band has proven to be solid in their craft. Here's hoping that the musicians will continue their growth in the future.

"Garden in a Lost Place" by Narumi

C2XvjrhUQAEtPwJ.jpgxGU9jAF.jpg%C2%A0

The SEED is the first solo EP of talented bombshell Narumi, best known as the guitarist from all-female metal bands Destrose and Disqualia. If the gorgeous album cover is any indication, this release is a departure from her usual heavy metal oriented songwriting as Narumi reveals her experimental side - an instrumental voyage of pure auditory bliss that boasts a unique view of the world painted through her guitar. "Garden in a Lost Place" opens up the EP and is an incredibly artistic fusion of prog, jazz and metal that is both an epic show of technicality as well as a subdued show of finesse. The song dips from menacing riffs to blazing guitar solos to ethereal and soothing melody, lightly accented by piano keys. The build-up is suspenseful as the song playfully flirts with the listener, climaxing in some impressive shredding and mellowing back to softness in a repeated cycle. As Narumi brings her aesthetics to life, the listener is transported to her 'lost garden' whilst her fingers dance across the fretboard, giving a visible cue of what's to come.

"ROTTEN ORANGE" by アクメ (ACME)

DUdzrAQVAAA41qk.jpga3aec423a375627bff86e3bbaf33f590.jpg#a3a

Chisa may look like he hasn't aged a day since 2008, but his psyche certainly has. This song is the culmination of the emotional baggage of being in the scene for over 10 years, as the weight of maturity, experience and even disillusionment bear down on his latest band, ACME.

The band members must understand they're not new blood anymore; they've all been through the perennial revolving door of vk as indies artists, and have all reached moderate amounts of success. As their peers have either gained fame or dropped off the radar, it’s hard not to rest on one’s laurels, harder still to start over. But amidst the turmoil these members have experienced throughout their tenure in the vk industry, they’ve found enough time to innovate and reinvent themselves. "ROTTEN ORANGE" seems to be a commentary of the uninspired youth of today, as well as a metaphor for the shit they've been through thus far. But no matter how disenfranchised they may feel, the band is still driven by maniacal ambition and they unashamedly do what they need to get what they want.

In many ways, Chisa’s career mirrors that of Yuya from Develop One's Faculties. He just doesn’t know it yet. Both are the same age, entered the scene as teenagers, playing supporting roles on the left side of the stage as bassist and guitarist respectively, before taking the limelight as vocalists. Even their voices sound similar. But while Yuya took the art-kei route, literal Art School graduate Chisa chose to express his craft through a sensory overload of color. And the color featured in this song? Orange of course.

With a look and PV saturated in the citrus' color, themes of the famous A Clockwork Orange come to light, creating a conflicted picture of the clash between art and real life. Compare Chisa to labelmate UNiTE.'s permanently smily vocalist Yui, and I dare you to look into Chisa's perfectly dead eyes and say that oshare is just 'happy-go-lucky'. This song is a blend of old and new; a reflection of their former selves with sensibilities of DIV ringing most apparent, however we also see traces of the legacy that xTRiPx has left behind, only with guitars tuned lower than this band has ever gone before as Chisa bellows from the hollowest depths of his being, all wrapped up in a package filled with metalcore's trendiest riffs. 

@YuyoDrift's pick

KISS OF DEATH (Produced by HYDE) by 中島美嘉 (Mika Nakashima)

001.jpg

This track screams of nostalgia from 2005’s "Glamorous Sky "(to which we coincidentally get a 2018 version of as well with the single), and serves to restore the 13-year long gap created between Anime and Rock fans that have long forgotten how well the Nakashima/HYDE collaboration sounds. With an alluring melody and use of electronic music that has been described as cocaine to the ears, you'll marvel at Nakashima's  ageless vocal capability that has earned her acclaim. While the combination of music styles may not impress everyone, I think we can all appreciate HYDE’s contribution of lyrics that compliment Nakashima's singing accordingly. "KISS OF DEATH" is one release you’ll want to add to your 2018 starter pack. This track is also featured as the opening theme song to science-fiction television anime DARLING in the FRANXX.

@qotka's picks

"「リストカットして」" (risutokattoshite) by ゴシップ (Gossip)

bcUXvQ7.jpg

Gossip's 吐愚弄-トグロ- (Toguro) opened 2018 with a bang. This album is almost 46 minutes of music intricately designed to break necks at livehouses, and "wrist-cut shite" embodies that lethal intent. This annoyingly catchy tune, like a large portion of the album, exists in the realm of ‘meta visual kei’ - the kind that breaks the fourth wall and talks directly about the scene, the fans and all the grimy background details involved. Whether this is a grotesque way to engage fans by touching upon a topic they’re presumably preoccupied with, or an ironic, maybe even critical take on menhera (an overt yet romanticized representation of mental illness and social deviance in a number of subcultures, including vkei), this is easily the most pleasantly cringy song of 2018 - you’re guaranteed to love it and hate yourself for it.

"やさしくしてね" (yasashiku shite ne) by ゴールデンボンバー (Golden Bomber)

o20z92Q.jpg

To some they’re that one-hit wonder gimmick band, to others they’re misunderstood geniuses who ‘have so much more than “memeshikute” to offer’. Either way, it’s hard to dispute Golden Bomber’s sheer ability to entertain both the masses and their dedicated fanbase, as they prove again in キラーチューンしかねえよ (kiraa chuun shika nee yo), an LP that lives up to its name and includes killer tunes only. やさしくしてね (“yasashiku shite ne”) is an up-beat, feel good pop song tinged with the bitterness of the tale it tells - the hard life of a Japanese office worker who’s about to give up. The composition shows deep understanding of how to write a simple and good J-pop song, and the words show that vocalist and lyricist Kiryuin Sho knows how to keep his project well on the seam between mainstream and underground, putting out a track that both tired salarymen can rock out to at karaoke night and their hardcore fans, who for the most part might not be a part of Japan’s ‘properly successful’ workforce, can, well, relate to. To us weeaboos and J-rock/pop enthusiasts it offers a glimpse into a very serious problem in Japanese society presented in a fun, humorous and honest manner - hooray!

Guest Contributions

@Ada Suilen's picks

"Falling" by The GazettE

This year's March has been a true musical battle, with plenty of interesting releases coming out and some long awaited comebacks. One of these, maybe the most anticipated one, is by The GazettE, who have been celebrating their 16th anniversary with an exquisite teaser of what's next. They have released a new song, "Falling", which can appear as typical and formulaic work by them; but upon close listen, it's instead a mixture of what characterizes them best. The vocal versatility, the dynamic metal melody, astonishing rhythms, compelling guitar work, and shocking visuals are all derived from their past albums. However, they build together something that I want to explore more with their ninth album this June. Are you ready for more Gaze-rock?

"エンド"  (End) by Reol

Reol has been a great surprise since her debut on 2016 with Sigma, which I consider one of the most surprising Japanese pop releases of the recent years. Then the ensemble disbanded and I was quite disappointed by this, as I really loved their energetic and rebellious sound. But nothing is lost: Reol decided to go in soloist mode and she continues to be strong and surprising as always. The chosen track, coming from her first work Kyoko Shu, sees a radical change in her genre, going from beating electro-pop notes to a gloomy indie-ish pop rock, with dark visuals and a simple rhythm, anyway engaging. I hope that her comeback in this style will reward her more and more than her previous project.

@Mamo's pick

こわれはじめる  by SWARRRM

11f204fc71c5fa70f6a5fb3c30ab263c.jpg#11f

Unlike a usual featured review blurb, this is going to be a review of SWARRRM's 5th album こわれはじめる (translated: Beginning to break) released February 16, 2018. First, a brief introduction of the band. SWARRRM is a legendary Japanese Grindcore band from Kobe, Hyogo, Japan (1996 – present). Before 2007 they went through several vocalists and were a pretty standard deathgrind band, but in 2007, Tukasa (2007-Present) (ex-Force, ex-Hellchild) joined the band and from that point on the band began to really explore the genre of Grindcore taking it into areas that most bands in the scene were against deviating from with their first album with Tukasa Black Bong (2007). Ever since the band has been more avant-garde and experimental sometimes incorporating elements of screamo, post-hardcore, power violence, and even rock. 

こわれはじめる (Beginning to break) contains remastered songs from the split singles: The Fierce Trinity w/Terror Squad (2015), Skylab Hurricane w/Disgunder (2016), 耐え忍び霞を喰らう w/killie (2017), and 1 song from V.A. ろくろ (2017) as well as several brand new songs. There are thirteen tracks in total. こわれはじめる doesn't stray away from the direction they've been heading with recent releases, this time using all of the of the elements from their last album Flower (2014) and also a lot from 20 Year Chaos (2016). If you haven't heard either I would highly recommend them). It takes you on chaotic twists and turns from slow melodic rock to insane grindcore blast beats and overly emotional vocals. Here are some of my favorite songs on the album.

Notable Tracks:

The first song "ここは悩む場所じゃない" (This Is Not the Place to Have a Dilemma) is very reminiscent of Envy using a slow tempo and more melodic guitar riffs throughout. It begins with a single pluck of an acoustic guitar I suppose to create that more mellow atmosphere right from  the start. The drum rhythm is definitely more post-hardcore than grindcore, but where you really see the grindcore elements is in the Tukasa's chaotic vocal sections in the chorus, followed by very good spoken word sections.

"愛のうた" (Song for love) is a song remastered and re-recorded originally from  耐え忍び霞を喰らう w/killie. This song is an emotional and chaotic build up beginning with more trade mark Tukasa babbling spoken word sections, and a steady melodic rock rhythm, followed by a a gradual bass line. The song continues in this style for about a minute then suddenly  explodes with some more Post-hardcore-esque vocals and the continuing melo rock guitar rhythm and a slow droning bass in the back ground, as well as blast beat drumming then right back to slow drumming. Then a long spoken word/screamed vocal section gradually fades back into another chaotic guitar rhythm with a slow droning bass in the background, as well as blast beat drumming before returning to slow drumming and some really nice Post-hardcore vocals. The songs explodes one last time before suddenly fading into abyss.

"自由" (Freedom) takes a more Grindcore/Screamo approach then the two previously mentioned songs. Beginning with a few acoustic guitar chords and then suddenly erupting into screams over a fast and heavy guitar rhythm. Some continuous slow and melancholic screams and with a consistently  melodic rock guitar and bass rhythm and and slow drum beats. Then some spoken word screaming vocals backed by the same melody. "自由" ends with some chaotic screams and a fast hardcore drum beat and guitar rhythm.

I truly think this album is must for any fan of Hardcore, Screamo, Post-hardcore, Grindcore, or Avant-Garde metal. I give こわれはじめる (Beginning to break) a 10/10 masterpiece and I believe it's the bands' best effort.

So glad to see the recommend tracks make it's triumphant return! And so many good songs to choose from. Also I like the new quarterly format that way, with the larger amount of tracks we're getting we'll have plenty of time to listen to them all every 3 months. 

Glad to be once again part of RT!

Nice to see Develop One's Faculties (Untelligible has been a true surprise for me), Chanty, The fin., Darian Marian and Kizu

If I had the chance, I would have add Kamijo's Emigre/the whole Sang song to this list, top-notch tracks of his latest work (listened to it after having made my picks)

Sad to not see Pura, Buck-Tick and Nocturnal Bloodlust.

8 minutes ago, Ada Suilen said:

Sad to not see Pura, Buck-Tick and Nocturnal Bloodlust.

Just post the songs here bro same thread after all. Doesn't really matter if it's in the OP or not if you like them and want people to hear them. Like @Chidid with her picks.

Edited by Mamo

My other picks:

Nokubura went incredibly high and strong with this one... one of their most technical works to date!

http://picosong.com/weC8H

Best song from doorAdore, an album to listen with all its complex and different shades

Kamijo is always Kamijo and he shows it with these two masterpieces, already surrounded by worthy themes inside a great album.

Honestly surprised Sargia wasnt a pick. I love how Ribelio is a pick tho i love them i just wish they hadn't disbanded like the rest of the long line of disbands going into the year. Im just having a hard time picking between gossip and develop ones faculties. I wanna freaking like bash my head against a wall both albums were sooooo good. :kittydrop::arg::music2: surprisingly develop one being up there twice.

My other recommendation for Winter 2018 that just didn't have time to review is 明日の叙景 - わたしと私だったもの released February 24, 2018 an amazing blackgaze/post-black metal masterpiece. A genre I'm not to sure many users here would be familiar with especially vk listeners. It also has a lot of traditional Japanese elements as well. HIGHLY RECOMMEND THIS ONE.

Edited by Mamo

There's been lots of great stuff this year so far. DOF's Unintelligible won me over the most with it's catchy, technical, frantic and hugely creative songwriting. It's up there with insert memory as one of the most creative VK songs of the decade imo especially the '1234567 123456 .... 123 121 YOKU DEKIMASHITA' part. The whole album is filled with great tracks (like the one's listed here) though I do agree it's a little bit weaker then their other stuff which is essential listening.

Kizu's track was also fantastic, just heavy, catchy and really high energy and LIME's performance is top notch. Can't wait for an album.

貴方だけを壊して飾ってみたい was my favorite track off Chanty's album and it's nice to see it on the list. There were some weak tracks on the album but it was solid (but they butchered m.o.b imo).

IIII-Ligro's album has potential to be one of the most interesting albums of the year and that 爆烈ストーム song was nice. I need to check those out.

And that Golden Bomber song is just too relatable. Nothing beats laughing at how much life sucks. I didn't expect that ending either. I guess it's time to spin it a few more times.

Also would have included Buck-Tick's Salome -femme fatale- off their new album which is absolutely fantastic. And the first track off Pura's new album was cool too:

Spoiler

Hell yeah Kizu. I need that album asap. 

Also yas the new Ling Tosite Sigure!!! I'm still new to them - been schooling myself in their discography for the past couple months, which might be why to me their more polished sound is digestible. But yeah, totally dig it. 

Glad the new Plastic Tree was mentioned later down this thread. To me the most remarkable track on doorAdore is "search and destroy". It sounds like Ryutaro's been spending a lot of time with te' 's Hiro (I know he was in his session band when he toured solo). I wish they made a whole album that sounds like this - they know how to experiment and surprise when they put their mind to it.  

I just want to chime in and say that kizu had one of the best showings of the year with kizuato...I haven't heard a song that GOOD in a long time, shocking considering their first song sucked and their second single was just okay. They literally have ddrm shaking with that ending breakdown...it must be insane live

yeahhh lots of good tracks here!! kizu, dof, virge, and IIII-Ligro- gave us an amazing start this year!

that chanty track is pretty decent and might grow on me, i still need to check them out~

i have never tried ribelio before but damn that song is fucking solid. sad to hear that they're disbanding!

i might need to check out acme as well. i can hear some of those xtripx vibes. not really related but in one of DIV's songs chisa's voice reminded me of ryo (baroque, kannivalism) and considering how i heart baroque and kannivalism i'm not sure why i haven't checked either DIV or acme yet.

lmao at the golden bomber video! i feel kinda bad for laughing (the poor salarymen) but i guess that was intended. xD that song could become addicting after several listens, haha.

for those who are disappointed in not seeing pura, expect an album review soon! (i just hope i don't get too lazy.....)