The Reverend

A Brief History of Visual Kei: Unnecessary Symbols & Punctuation in Band Names

Unnecessary Symbols & Punctuation in VK Band Names Poll  

63 members have voted

1. 1. Which symbol denotes the most quality in a VK band/name?

• +
    • Any Greek letter
    • Another one I'll tell you about below

13 hours ago, suji said:

am i the only one who calls them  "one twenty twelve"

I always referred to them as twelve because my head couldn't process all the numbers. 

Does anyone know how to pronounce IIII-Ligro? What does the IIII stand for? Four Ligro? Fourth Ligro? 'ee-ee-ee-ee' Ligro? 

I used to say 'one two oh one two' – But they were my (semi) first VK band so I think I get a pass.

It's better than 'twelve thousand twelve' at least lol.

Also, totally know what ya'll mean re: the D'espairsRay misnaming. Holy crap that made my OCD sensors sting.

On 3/29/2018 at 5:12 AM, platy said:

I always referred to them as twelve because my head couldn't process all the numbers. 

Does anyone know how to pronounce IIII-Ligro? What does the IIII stand for? Four Ligro? Fourth Ligro? 'ee-ee-ee-ee' Ligro? 

The llll is silent, apparently (リグロ). In my head I say “ill-ligro” though :|

Idk what the l's are for; maybe some bs about representing the four members or something? Or the more likely answer: it looks cool.

On 3/28/2018 at 4:51 PM, Peace Heavy mk II said:

I always say one-two-oh-one-two ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Idk why i always say Twelve zero twelve

15 hours ago, inartistic said:

The llll is silent, apparently (リグロ). In my head I say “ill-ligro” though :|

Idk what the l's are for; maybe some bs about representing the four members or something? Or the more likely answer: it looks cool.

I always thought the l's stood for each band member as well as scars that someone could leave if they clawed at someone with every finger but the thumb (like nails on a chalkboard kinda thing).

On 3/28/2018 at 3:53 PM, suji said:

am i the only one who calls them  "one twenty twelve"

NO WAY!I'm not the only one.

On 22.3.2018 at 3:16 PM, The Reverend said:

Nuvc:gu

n3831w.jpg

The band: Nobodies.

The name: I honestly was pronouncing this “nuv-ka-goo” until I heard @Biopanda say “New vogue” in a Rarezhut stream and the lightbulb went off. I almost want to give them credit for using the *shape* of punctuation to emulate letters, but then I realize that’s incredibly stupid unless you’re working with some seriously custom fonts.

nuvɔːgu is actually the incomplete IPA notation of the japanese pronounciation of 'new vogue' - incomplete because the stress indicator (as well as intonation markers) are missing, although I'm guessing the stress would be on the second syllable: [nuˈvɔːgu]. The [ɔ] signifies a specific way of pronouncing the letter 'o'. In this case it corresponds with the 'o' in words like 'not' or 'shot'. The weird little colon indicates stress on the preceding syllable. 

There's a couple of bands who use(d) IPA in their bandnames: Act∫uə √èil (the only real IPA characters here being [∫] which corresponds to the 'sh' sound in words like 'shoot' or 'shine' and schwa [ə], c.f. separate. Another rather elaborate one would be:【zɔ́:diæ̀k】 - unsurprisingly the IPA form of a somewhat engrish pronounciation of the word 'zodiac' (which in AE would actually look like this: [ˈzoʊdiˌæk]; in BE like this: [ˈzəʊdɪæk].

Edited by VESSMIER