Spike760

the GazettE

On 8/2/2018 at 4:20 PM, FOSCOR70 said:

im trying to get into 'the gazette' so can anyone please recommend me their heaviest and darkest album?

I would definitely start with Dogma, their last-but-one album. Their earlier albums are all fairly dark and heavy, although saddled with the drummer's occasional pop tunes. Division, Beautiful Deformity and Ninth all have their heavy moments, but they're all more varied too.

On 7/26/2018 at 3:26 AM, Disposable said:

To me it's all the fucking same too. It might be the most SADS influenced with a certain effort in having lamestream appeal, but you know that's a side of the gazette that was always there, if not present then lying dormant. DIVISION is the one I think has gotten the most unjust treatment as it really is in the continuum of the latest albums from the first song to last. I understand not being into some of their albums if your relationship to gazette is lukewarm anyway, but having a hard-on for any post-DIM album while despising another is just silly. 

So what if you liked DIM, disliked TOXIC and DIVISION, was lukewarm towards BEAUTIFUL DEFORMITY, kinda liked DOGMA, and like NINTH? 

I guess I can't consider that a hard-on...

I mean Gazette might be consistent in terms of how they sound, but the songwriting varies from album to album. That’s generally what grabs people isn’t it? The songwriting? 

Like how many fucking times are they going to write Shiver and call it something else?

On 7/26/2018 at 3:26 AM, Disposable said:

To me it's all the fucking same too. It might be the most SADS influenced with a certain effort in having lamestream appeal, but you know that's a side of the gazette that was always there, if not present then lying dormant. DIVISION is the one I think has gotten the most unjust treatment as it really is in the continuum of the latest albums from the first song to last. I understand not being into some of their albums if your relationship to gazette is lukewarm anyway, but having a hard-on for any post-DIM album while despising another is just silly. 

TOXIC and DIVISION (minus a few tracks that do well in a live setting) were lifeless and DIVISION's production was ass garbage. I for one don't go back to said albums unless I'm trippin or am super bored. 

It wasn't until Beautiful Deformity that the band seemed to get its shit together. DOGMA as a whole concept was executed fairly well and NINTH is a well done compilation of songs from previous eras with a lil bit of experimentation here and there. The growth IS noteworthy, yes.  But its very possible to despise some of those albums while ya dick is hard for another. 

Edited by Ro plz

After many listens, I really like NINTH. Ninth Odd smell, The Mortal, その声は脆く, Babylon's taboo, Two of a Kind are all great tracks. Okay, most tracks are memorable apart from a couple.

I just noticed Ninth is pretty similar to Arche in a sense it has those throwbacks to every previous era of both bands (except the really weird stuff they used to do on the beginning of their careers?)

Not really a fan of Ninth at all. "Two of a Kind" almost did a good job for me but then it couldn't have had a lazier chorus. All of the other songs sounded like stuff they've done already and failed completely to grab my attention.

BTW, can't get over how good "13Stairs[-1]" is. The lyrics are cringy af but that song is gooooooooooood

On 8/23/2018 at 8:12 PM, kuyashii said:

BTW, can't get over how good "13Stairs[-1]" is. The lyrics are cringy af but that song is gooooooooooood

And "devouring one another" (from Beautiful Deformity), too. I'm a bit disappointed with many songs of them but since it's the gazette so ... it's ok, i can wait.

NINTH is pretty good, but listened to it today right after DOGMA and I feel like DOGMA is the better album for sure.

It's heavy, gloomy, and feels fully realized. I see NINTH revisiting some of their earlier sounds, but at this stage of their career I'd rather have more like DOGMA.

I’m eyeing NY and already got 2 tickets; but it’s not definite. Should be a great time regardless. 

Listened to every full-length album/mini-album from the GazettE over the course of the last week since I hadn't done so in a very long time (really never gave a lot of their full-lengths the proper time of day until DOGMA). 

I'm having trouble ranking them in my head, but I do like NINTH much more this time around than when it first came out. DOGMA is still my favorite and overall their most consistent effort. MADARA is the best of their pre-"the GazettE" material and one of their best releases overall, really did a great job of capturing multiple genres in a tightly wrapped package.

Disorder, NIL, Stacked Rubbish, and DIM had some really standout tracks (the first two being interesting to me as they feel very transitional sound-wise from "ガゼット" to "the GazettE" - I do think there is a bit of a stylistic difference between the two, even if only because of time and growth). Toxic feels the least memorable to me immediately. Division and Beautiful Deformity both surprised me as I felt they ended up being better than expected as a whole. 

Whoever said a few posts up that they're consistent in terms of sound, but maybe not songwriting, kinda hit the nail on the head. None of their albums are bad in my opinion, but it's also a bit difficult in immediate succession to judge the strongest output since many of the songs run together and feel similar to one another.

DOGMA and NINTH are definitely a cut above the rest, though.

Overall I think they're at their strongest when they work in extremes - their REALLY aggressive tracks and their more reserved, ballad-style tracks are their most memorable and the ones I'm most likely to go back to. The stuff that sits in the more nu-metal/alt-rock range isn't bad (and is certainly better than most western bands floating in those genres), it just runs together a bit more than the rest.

/end long post 😅

The Transition from DIVISION to NINTH is by far one of the best examples of growth. 

Their earlier material is great but i can only listen to em on occasion.

DOGMA Era will always be the best GazettE era. 

Deux>>>>>>> These Niggas's entire discography. 

If anyone has an issue or disagrees, I'm willing to throw hands and probably lose. 

19 minutes ago, Ro plz said:

The Transition from DIVISION to NINTH is by far one of the best examples of growth. 

Their earlier material is great but i can only listen to em on occasion.

DOGMA Era will always be the best GazettE era. 

Deux>>>>>>> These Niggas's entire discography. 

If anyone has an issue or disagrees, I'm willing to throw hands and probably lose. 

No doubt. Plus when RAGE goes in on that super fast d-beat bit...YES

Don't know guys... The first albums are full of memorable songs, I mean, songs that are easily recognizable, they stick to your soul no matter what you try to keep them off, and thus made TG what they are now. 

Toxic, Divison, Beautiful deformity, Dogma... they certainly have memorable songs, but they are 1 or 2 out of generic Slipknot-Mansonesque fillers...

If it wasn't for Ruki's awesome dramatic vocals and some epic solos by Uruha, they music doesn't deliver something worth listening to me, instead it sounds pretty uninspired....  Even Reita got lazy and left the full-melodic lines that define the climax of their songs (and are an essential item of what makes vk stand out of other music genres).

For me, they are still certainly good composer and performers, but their time to shine has passed on. Nowadays they can only deliver "listeneable" music and "enjoyable" live shows, but always predictable and more-less formulaic, nothing compared to the masterpieces on Nil, Stacked rubbish or Dim scene, songs that, liked or not, definitely made them stand out at their time into a scene that fills very quickly with shitty acts made for the massive need of male-worship of hysteric bangya.

Edited by saiko

I honestly havent listened through a gazette album from start to finish in a good min so take my opinion with a grain of salt but something about their og stuff felt more refreshing and interesting, then we got toxic and that's lol af, and nowadays it feels like on a technical level their most impressive stuff but on the other hand something about it feels uninspired compared to the rest of their discography 

Edited by chipathy

I think my thoughts on their original stuff is that their mini-albums were more standout than the full-lengths. MADARA and Cockayne Soup have some of the most standout Gazette tracks ever. I like Disorder a lot, NIL is pretty good imo, and Stacked Rubbish has Filth in the Beauty/Hyena which bump extra hard. I guess after listening to them all in succession DOGMA stands out to me because it feels like everything after those albums fully realized in a cohesive package. 

I'll always dig the early mini-albums, but when it comes to "the GazettE" I feel like DOGMA is the album I'm most likely to revisit. (Though The Invisible Wall has been stuck in my head for days now...)