Spike760

the GazettE

Am I the only one who finds it weird that the GazettE is on the Knotfest line up for Japan 2016???

@ZinI agree with you on the overrated part. I've never been *really* impressed by anything they've done or has any song ever been ringing in my head non-stop, nope.

But you gotta give them credit on where it's due. They have been big inspiration to many of the modern VK acts and I'd say they represent visual kei in general pretty well. If anything, they've been pretty hard working band to force their way to popularity with rather mediocre material lol.

Also, many of your complains about The Gazette might as well be complains towards visual kei in general. Most of the bands are sorta hybrid of pop and metal, nonsensical Engrish is very typical and fanbase of every band is too rabid imo. That's just the genre we're here for, don't hate it Zin!

btw, don't take any offense in this, but Nightmare is like the most generic band to ever grace this earth. not a good comparison D:

7 hours ago, Zin said:

I might get hate for this, but I have a confession to make. The GazettE is an overrated band. Let me explain.

I'm not impressed with any of their PVs at all. I don't think Filth in the Beauty is a masterpiece like many of the fans do. My first reaction was "This guy's English is terrible..." I know that Ruki is Japanese and therefore his English speaking skills wouldn't be as good as native's. What I don't get is why anyone would sing a song in a language they're not familiar with. Many of the songs would be better if they were sung in Japanese, like THE INVISIBLE WALL or Distorted Daytime.  In my opinion, he should stick to Japanese.  Moving on...

What's up with Inside Beast? That is the GazettE's worst song by far. Reminds me of a cross between Lady Gaga and Marilyn Manson. It sounds just like any other pop song. Not to mention Ruki's notoriously bad English. Lyric example:

Bite off my skin and cell
But you cannot eat my deep inside
You kneel down and beg to me
[Give me your beast…]

GET OUT. NOTORIOUS BABY
GAGAGAGAGAGA SEXY GARBAGE
[Give me your beast…]

What even is this? I don't understand how this band is considered one of the best Visual Kei/Jrock bands of all time.  Not all of their works are terrible but most of it is rubbish. 

Another thing that really pisses me off about this band is that according to Wikipedia, the GazettE is an Alternative Metal/Hard Rock/Nu Metal band.  WHAT THE ACTUAL FUCK.

You mean to tell me that Cassis, Shiver, Vortex, Guren, Fadeless, Last Heaven, To Dazzling Darkness, and Hana Kotoba all fall under the same genre that is Alternative Metal? BS. If anything they're experimental pop songs at best.

I almost forgot to mention the CANCEROUS FANDOM. Dear god, this band attracts the weirdest 13 year old girls. People in the Youtube comments talk about "shipping" the members. Don't even get me started on the number of fanfiction articles people write because of these 5 guys...

The fact that the GazettE is more well known, has more fans, and is more popular than Lynch., Versailles, Kiryu, Nightmare, D, and X Japan sickens me.

1) Why are we still caring about Engrish? I have yet to find the positive record of someone utilizing COMPREHENSIBLE, FLUENT english in vk anthems around here - and since it's all about the voice of the masses: "why would they sing a song in a language they are not familiar with" is a very lazy and lethargic excuse.

2) Sure, preferences vary whenever it's about Manson and/or Gaga influences feeding upon new Gazette but let's stop for a moment and ponder this: isn't it basically palatable that Gazette has been one of the few mainstream VK acts to actually "break" the stereotype of visual "backwardism" we've been witnessing throughout these years...could one even fathom the fact that we still have VK bands that look like 2016 but sound like 2009 quality AND mixing-wise? Come to think of it anyway - even these oyaji groups have been discovering ways to "get with the times", whereas VK indie scene is being infested with so-called "cool" kids and their ideas of dated melomaniac pleasure a la mid-00s VK revival with no "revolutionary" progression whatsoever?

3) I am not gonna touch "rubbish, terrible"-comments without any elaboration either. Perhaps Gazette is not your cup of tea? So what was your contribution in this discussion again?

4)

- Wikipedia

- Easily modifiable resource pages

- Still cares about genre wankery

- IN A GODDAMN VISUAL SCENE/FANBASE

5) So you are saying that cancerous fandoms are EXCLUSIVELY and SOLELY related to Gazette? Wew, lad.

6) Even the most eager critics tend to agree with the notion that Gazette has gained recognition due to their easily recognizable antics and almost "genderbending" tendencies - just like with other Japanese genrebenders inside and outside of our beloved visual scene. Why would possibly westernized individual care about symphonic power metal outfits like X or Versailles,  low-budget mix flares of Kiryu and D, and stagnant animoo glory of Naitomea? As much as we would sympathize towards these acts as long-time VK weebs - is it really that hard to adopt opposite, "biased" views for a moment? Could you at least delve into details and convince our possible (albeit disinterested) non-VK (but yet Gazette-fanboying/girling) public that why these acts matter more in the context of international fanbase?

I do admit that I had my on/off-times with Gazette for a decade already, but imho it's really hard to argue against the well-functionable, internationally palatable soundscape of mostly mashing Slipknot and Luna Sea influences together. In that sense Ruki and co. were smart enough to realize what exactly was relevant for those times aside from minding their own biases.

Lol I mean to each their own but without Ruki's english (and this applies to many other Japanese bands that use english at times) we would be deprived of some pretty fabulous lyrics. The world would be a darker place without the reckless driving cucumber. Things like that just make me smile, plus it's always cool when people explore different languages, band members included. 

hi i am seeking the help of gazette stans who know their stuff bc i am lost 

when exactly did the "dark age(?)" start?? bc i want all of it (so stuff like ugly, dogma, undying, love love that heavy stuff)

Anyone else think it's weird that they haven't announced anything about what's coming next? I thought they typically do that at the final show of a tour. Hopefully we get something on Halloween.

uh........

we just pretty much just  got an album and 2 singles....and a world tour. DOGMA is over i believe.

i think its fair to assume its gonna be awhile before we get anything new.

To be fair it is the gazette and they release new material faster than diarrhea out the butthole. Maybe we are just spoiled.

Tru fans assemble

Oni no men live from I don't know where. It says judgement day, but I'm fairly positive that it is not included on the DVD, at least the press I have. Plenty of other old gazette attractions on that channel as well, like an old bootleg recording of a show from 2003. God bless youtube.

Edited by Disposable

9 hours ago, Gichi Gichi said:

ruki was so punk...his son saku kinda saved my old-the gazette needs

He has a son doing visual kei too?

I may have had a bit of a falling out with them, but they're #stillmyboi even in defeat so today I'll bang Godzette all day. First going to riffle through the last DVD that I never bothered checking out, then hit the Stacked era B-sides and finally do the first two DVD's straight. Aside from that I'll do miscellaneous tracks from here than there that I haven't listened to that much. I wish I had beer to do this with in anticipation of today's setlist.

GAZEROCK WILL NEVER DIE

BUT YOU WILL

How likely is it that there will be a new release this year? It seems like they are mostly doing lives and they just announced that they will be doing Burst into a Blaze 3 in the summer. As I recall DOGMA was already announced this time of year in 2015, so could it be that they won't release anything before the end of the year?

16 hours ago, Nagisa said:

How likely is it that there will be a new release this year? It seems like they are mostly doing lives and they just announced that they will be doing Burst into a Blaze 3 in the summer. As I recall DOGMA was already announced this time of year in 2015, so could it be that they won't release anything before the end of the year?

Maybe by the end of the year? Afaik the Dark Age concept is now finished so they'll most likely recalibrate a little bit and come back with something different. In all honesty I've disliked this last spur of releases so much that I'm downright begging they'll go back to something more light hearted and jovial. 

Unjustly unheralded Gazeballad. This one really gets what they used to be about; they're [the gazette] like a middle schooler writing notes class about girls and running out of allowance. Every once in awhile this entity runs away from home to see concerts at smokey concert halls in 90's Tokyo and ends up passing out while sneaking a ride back home in a lorry. Such a sweet voice Ruki used to have, as opposed to the consumate professional of today who takes classes and pays his taxes. 

17 hours ago, Nagisa said:

idk I have a hunch they'll drop a mini-album at the end of year, or will release another single-less album @ early 2018.

Ruki has been focused on shilling his conceptual bootique or w/e it is recently, and everyone else has been raving about the joys of butchering old ballads so idk if they had time to focus on a full album pre-production.

there's so many other good  vk bands developing their own stuff this year,that if the gazette do not release anything new in 2017

will be just ok to me.the dark age stuff still fresh to me,so i'm not that anxious for new songs

better a whole year without new songs ,than  a single in the end of the year with average songs.

i think they should take the necessary time to come up with another concept

Edited by Gichi Gichi

I saw last week, after years of not following them, a preview of their 2nd ballads album with the oldies and... i got an "awwww the gazette!!" feeling, i then started stalking  looking for Ruki's insta and see what's up. I still like the old songs better, as for the videos, Chizuru is my fave and that hasn't changed. I confess I was expecting a diferent sound, listening to Dogma the other day i don't know what really, but something that tells me This is Gazette a decade after... I think it was hard for me to follow them the way i used to, after DIM. The works that came after kinda made me search somewhere else. But they are definitly one of the bands i cherish. Prob always will. 

Well there's gonna be a shift in their music for sure now that the dark age seems to be through. so who knows? It would be pretty cool if they went back to their older sound. With all the talk about making visual kei great again and all that, maybe gazette might do their share by going back to golden years? Feels kinda far-fetched, but their electronic influences have already outstayed their welcome and I don't really see gazette going heavier either.

1 hour ago, orange~ said:

electronic influences

Huh???  i gonna have to check that! Like i said, their works between Dim and The last album are pretty much unfamiliar to me, so i have alooot to catch up. But this is interesting