Jeen

lynch. new album " XIII " release

LMAO the megaman thing has me a little shook tbh, good find.
there's been more than a few FF references throughout Hazuki's musical career and he was a big SNES nerd, so who knows...

Can someone translate this little tidbit from their interview with Gekirock earlier this month?

Spoiler

-先ほどから、複数回キーワードとして出てきている90年代というファクター。それが最初に浮かび上がってきたのは、どのようなタイミングだったのでしょう?

葉月:僕が最初に「GROTESQUE」をバンドに提出したときですね。曲を作っている時点から"こりゃ面白れぇなぁ"って笑いながらやっていたし(笑)、イントロの、リード・ギターとかも"たまんねぇな!"感が満載なんですよ。この感じの音を、今のlynch.でやったらどうなるんだろう? っていうところに興味があったし、実際にデモ作りをして試してみたらかっこ良かったんです。そこで"これはイケる!"となりまして、周りを見回してみても今それをやっている人はいないから、これはいいチャンスだしオイシイなと思ったんですよ(笑)。だから、「GROTESQUE」のデータをメンバーみんなに送った段階で90年代っていうキーワードはすでに言葉としてありました。

-エグいくらいにデフォルメを効かせたヴォーカリゼーションといい、あのヒステリック気味なギターの音色とフレーズといい、「GROTESQUE」から感じられる20年ほど前のインディーズV系シーンに対するオマージュを、今ここまでかっこ良く聴かせられるのはlynch.だけでしょう。

葉月:最高っすよね(笑)。とはいえ、これが僕のルーツそのもので、それがそのまま出てきたのか? というと、そんなこともないんですよ。感覚としては"あのころ、誰かがこんなことをやっていたような気はするけど、誰だったっけな"くらいのニュアンスで作ったものだから、「GROTESQUE」に関しては"あれをそのままやりました"ではなくて、"なんとなくこんな感じだったよね"というのを、曲として自分なりに起こしてみたんです。この時代にこれを投下する面白さはあると思いますよ。

If I'm reading that right, is GROTESQUE one of those songs that they referred to with 90's elements?

I just received my Deluxe edition today ! As usual, beautiful packaging, nothing outstanding but well, it's clean ! Let me know if you are interested in photos in case you hesitate to buy it (otherwise there is a instagram "teaser" of the edition).

If someone also bought it and speak/read japanese (there is subtitles), i'am interested in a summary of what they say in the document ^^; (i feel stupid to bought it for this reason, but well, it was just for the collection)

Btw there is the disc 2, where you don't need to be bilingual at all xD, i can upload it for those who are interested in instrumentals, let me know.

Edited by Jeen

2 hours ago, Jeen said:

I just received my Deluxe edition today ! As usual, beautiful packaging, nothing outstanding but well, it's clean ! Let me know if you are interested in photos in case you hesitate to buy it (otherwise there is a instagram "teaser" of the edition).

If someone also bought it and speak/read japanese (there is subtitles), i'am interested in a summary of what they say in the document ^^; (i feel stupid to bought it for this reason, but well, it was just for the collection)

Btw there is the disc 2, where you don't need to be bilingual at all xD, i can upload it for those who are interested in instrumentals, let me know.

YES! Please upload. I only got the Special Edition.

A few weeks late but I'd like to chime in with my thoughts towards the album as well. I've been listening to it on repeat for a while now, and while I was disappointed at first, I'm gradually coming to appreciate this album as something that's different from the usual lynch. I think the compositions are simpler than most of their songs (which isn't saying much), but what it lacks in depth it makes up for in atmosphere.

At first the songs blended together for a really underwhelming effect, but after multiple listens, things level out and I can appreciate the album as a whole. It's nice to see a lynch. album with this many slow songs and such great atmosphere. I still hate JØKER though; I don't think that would fit well on any of their previous albums. Their better me more bangers on their next full-length though.

Favorite tracks: EXIST, SENSE OF EMPTINESS, A FOOL, OBVIOUS

Not bad: THIRTEEN, RENATUS, AMBLE FAITH, FAITH

Boring: GROTESQUE, JØKER, FIVE

3 hours ago, Jeen said:

Do you feel it's worth getting it? Because it's the one I want to buy.

On 7/23/2018 at 8:19 AM, YuyoDrift said:

Can someone translate this little tidbit from their interview with Gekirock earlier this month?

Spoiler

-The "90s factor" has been coming up as a keyword on a few occasions. What was the timing for this keyword first emerging?

Hazuki: When I first submitted song GROTESQUE to the band. When I was writing it, I was smiling to myself thinking it was interesting (laugh); the intro and lead guitar are rife with that out-of-this-world feeling. I was interested in the idea of doing a sound with this feeling with lynch. as we are now, and when I actually made the demo and tried it out, it was cool. I figured we could pull it off, and looking around there doesn't seem to be many people doing [that type of song] right now, so I figured it was a great opportunity. (laugh) So the "90s" was already out there as a keyword at point where I sent the data for GROTESQUE to all the members.

-lynch. is probably the only band that makes the homage to the VK indies scene 20 years ago that can be felt from GROTESQUE sound cool, with the vocalizations making incredible use of distortion, and those hysteric feeling guitar tones and phrases.

Hazuki: Sick, right? (laugh) That said, if you ask me if it's a direct replica of the sound of our roots, I'd say no. It was created with a sense of subdued nuance, like: "I feel like there was a band that did music like this back then, but who?", so we didn't just imitate the sound as-is. Rather the song gives off the suggestion of the feeling [of 90s vk] in its own way. I think it's interesting to drop a track like this in the current era.

On 7/24/2018 at 7:25 AM, Jeen said:

this is something i'd like to do, maybe give me a few days

On 7/24/2018 at 10:34 AM, Komorebi said:

Do you feel it's worth getting it? Because it's the one I want to buy.

i feel like the people who would benefit the most from the document are the people who are interested in the friendship dynamic of the band, or people who want to know more about the circumstances behind AK's return. so, the focus is less the band as a musical unit and more the band as a group of people. if you want music, wait for the Messe DVD/blu-ray. that said i loved it and the clip of AK's triumphant return made me cry lmao

i translated all the lyrics on tumblr if that's of interest to anyone: http://c-u-l-t-i-c.tumblr.com/
lyrically this album isn't as interesting as some past entries (i really liked AVANTGARDE for this), but the GROTESQUE/JØKER pair is interesting, and FAITH + SENSE OF EMPTINESS are up my alley.

Initial impressions are positive, but I wish Hazuki stopped with the cringey-mopey Engrish stuff. A Fool is pretty much ruined by his repetitive emoing in the beginning.