Sign in to follow this  
hiroki

hiroki's favorites of 2017

hi!! i know it's almost march, but in the spirit of "tradition" here are my end-of-year lists, which i've almost forgotten to do if it weren't for some friends who have been asking :P 

as the title of this post implies, here are the releases i enjoyed most from 2017 without staking any claim for them being the "best." in fact it's likely that you'll either love most of them or hate all of them as i have scant patience for artificially padding my lists in some vague interest of showcasing "variety."

there are 3 lists in total: top 10 albums & mini albums, top 10 singles, top 10 limited releases (i.e. distros, live-limited, digital releases, etc.) i apologize for not having time to write comments for individual releases as i used to, but i'll be delighted to know your thoughts if you have any (either specific or general) so feel free to leave a comment below <333

Top 10 Albums & Mini Albums

In this list I omitted best albums or compilations of sorts. I figured this is the only way to avoid a situation where the list is dominated by a bunch of disbanding bands pitting their entire discographies against one another (glamhaze, BLESSCODE, Astaria, BLaive, etc.) which is frankly quite ridiculous. This also means, sadly, that Purple Stone's album is out, even if i fucking love it ;_;

overall this is the weakest list among the three. there were a lot of releases in the bracket that ranges from 'enjoyable' to 'very good' but there wasn't one that really blew the rest out of the water. and yes, i potentially hear shouts of 'is this even vk??' but i'm not about to wade into that debate lol. btw shin is sexy, yup

Top 10 Singles

as always this is where all the competition lies. GARAK'S, Acephale, DEVIZE, Dangan no LIMIT, IGGY, LAVANS, CLOWD, Jack+MW all put out releases that didn't make the list but had songs that i'd be happy to loop on end for a couple of weeks.

Top 10 Limited Releases

aka "the great depression." honestly, making this list every year is always an emotionally draining experience. this year is without doubt the worst: of the 10 bands here, only 1.5 survives today (anfiel, and sheepsleep in their new lineup without kairu). everyone else is gone T____T still, i continue to do it because a lot of bands here are particularly close to my heart and i think of this as a way of paying tribute to how huge a part these bands/bandmen have played in my life. #1 here is also #1 of the year for me.

thank you for reading/listening!! :) 

Edited by hiroki

It's a very personal list even, there are quite a few good things, although you said  does not is  everyone that like , I don't like songs very happy or slow (honeydew)

I really enjoyed Gameover, GRAVITY, MORRIGAN, anfiel, L.O.V.E. aswell!

Special shoutout to LOVE LOCK, dunno bout the rest of the single, only listened to 東京パブリック which was shared on youtube, but I'm pretty sure it's great since my boy Kai can do no wrong! Such a shame he left the band, tho...

I'll give ReFrain a spin, seems real nice!

Also looking forward to Revlow, RIKUTO inck., anfiel's equal once they get shared, all looking really interesting!

Edited by chemicalpictures

WOW Azlina sounds good, how yt never gave recomendations about them >.<

From all ViViD members, Ryoga was the one I liked less lol so I actually didn't gave much care about this project, but looks interesting after all (of course it's interesting, an exViViD member) lol

It makes me so happy that I saw/hear SHIN's GMD on it, his solo project is driving crazy. |His voice shall never fade.

I once saw the news regarding LOVE ROCK, but I totally forgot to look for their material, they look good.

I got punched by LUX's EXIST, its a magical vocal. Now I know why so many people got dissapointed with their end.

LOVE is good, but I still think Tohma could have searched for a full time heavy band lol He is one my favorites heavy guitarrists, along with Kouryu (RAZOR).

equal is a good song, but I still love Aqua the most on all their disco, for some reasons hahaha

LAGLESS, so cool, another lost for the scene :(

@chemicalpictures Anfiel's equal is on yt, It was shared by an user who used to visit here a few years ago.

@chemicalpicturesyay glad to know you enjoyed those bands too! LOVE LOCK's singles were both good, but 東京パブリック is my fave. it sucks that Kai left, hopefully they can find someone to take his place although i'm not too optimistic. it's kinda depressing that the DOPES guys came back after so long (e.g. Jun in REVLOW) but disappeared again.

@yakihikotbh I never paid much attention to Ryoga as well when ViViD was around (Team Shin ftw) but his vocals surprised me :o would be great if they had more vk visuals haha, but i'm not complaining cos i really enjoy the music.

@The Reverendaww, thanks for always reading my lists!! <3 as for lagless, ironically i've been supporting them from way before cos i knew dog (their vocalist, also the guy in my profile pic haha) from the host scene even though their first 2 singles were tbh a little iffy for me. so you can imagine all the delight/relief/regret i felt when literally the last thing they wrote blew me away x.x agreed on FAB too, they're so underrated and i hope more ppl can know about them!

@Neurosisthanks for listening! hope you found some songs you like :) 

Edited by hiroki

2 hours ago, hiroki said:

@chemicalpicturesyay glad to know you enjoyed those bands too! LOVE LOCK's singles were both good, but 東京パブリック is my fave. it sucks that Kai left, hopefully they can find someone to take his place although i'm not too optimistic. it's kinda depressing that the DOPES guys came back after so long (e.g. Jun in REVLOW) but disappeared again.

IKR!? I was SO happy seeing Jun back, and I'm still hopeful REVLOW will eventually unpause activites, but my wet dream would be him teaming up with Kai again, lol. DOPES. is such an important band to me, Kai is such a great composer, really boggles me they haven't being so active after their disbandment...

thanks for some insight. 

10 hours ago, hiroki said:

btw shin is sexy, yup

:tw_joy::tw_joy::tw_joy: nice way to kick it off

Shin, Purple Stone,and L.O.V.E ♥♥♥♥♥♥

Lots of good bands on this list I wanted to check out but never found the time so these videos are incredibly convenient. I love this layout style. Thanks for sharing your faves with us. :3 

21 minutes ago, doombox said:

Shin, Purple Stone,and L.O.V.E ♥♥♥♥♥♥

Lots of good bands on this list I wanted to check out but never found the time so these videos are incredibly convenient. I love this layout style. Thanks for sharing your faves with us. :3 

yeah i figured it would help to have snippets of songs i like, but i always get super distracted by the songs when i'm editing the vid lol.  you're welcome and thanks for listening :) 

Sign in to follow this