nick

DIR EN GREY new single "人間を被る" (Ningen wo Kaburu) release

I wouldn’t say this is their worst single. Taiyou no Ao and Child Prey are pretty bad. 

What bugs me about DEG’s production is that everything has sounded the same post DSS. Every DEG album has a particular sound, but starting with Rinkaku up until now, they seem stuck on everything sounding like this compressed wall of noise. Kaishun could have been absolutely gorgeous if it were treated with delicately, but it’s just as fucking loud as Uroko and Midwife. Listen to the Ash remake and how the first part of the solo takes on a softer acoustic tone, yet it’s still loud as hell. Absolutely no dynamics, which completely destroys the impact of the following heavy section. 

These fuckers are in their 40s now. Time to go analog or something. 

3 hours ago, Saishu said:

everything has sounded the same post DSS

Exactly! I didn't mind the sound/production of THE UNRAVELING because it was like a 'cleaner' DSS. ARCHE sounded too much like UNRAVELING but even more compressed, so I wasn't pleased. And if these two singles indicate anything, it's that we're in for an ARCHE II. I like 人間を被る as an ARCHE/UNRAVELING leftover, but I hope the album version is different, and I hope my "ARCHE II" prediction is false.

6 hours ago, Saishu said:

Time to go analog or something. 

they're gonna be recording their future sangs on an iphone mic once the legacy japanese stans get tired of same sounding albums that come out 2x per decade, and  remakes that largely butcher the originals, let's just embrace this as their swan song era

13 hours ago, Kelrya said:

Like what is up with that part in the second verse of 人間を被る where it sounds like someone is growling from underwater?

inventors of undine-kei, fathers of aquatic growls, when will your faves* x

* very soon if you stan the 13teen

my heart is with ppl who still pay money to see this band live, the 0:43 —> part of ash is gonna be extra something considering the reality of height-lacking chanteuse's vocal decline.

3 hours ago, Seimeisen said:

Exactly! I didn't mind the sound/production of THE UNRAVELING because it was like a 'cleaner' DSS. ARCHE sounded too much like UNRAVELING but even more compressed, so I wasn't pleased. And if these two singles indicate anything, it's that we're in for an ARCHE II. I like 人間を被る as an ARCHE/UNRAVELING leftover, but I hope the album version is different, and I hope my "ARCHE II" prediction is false.

My guess is that the singles will sound worse like always. Different Sense is the only recent single that they didn’t touch for the album version. 

That's because DIFFERENT SENSE was released one month prior to DSS. It was more like DIFFERENT SENSE was a selected track from DSS to be sold as a single.

Edited by nostalgia

57 minutes ago, nekkichi said:

I like how her hair lowkey indicates a blossoming mid-life crisis that no one else aside from the closest bandmates and tokyo steamroom trade are aware of x

That feel when Papa Kaoru and I have the same hoodie

11 minutes ago, Saishu said:

I feel like Kaoru and Shinya aren’t handling the aging process very well. 

I feel like they're not handling it well either...
It's honestly as if Shinya doesn't want to stop being a v-kei queen, but those wrinkles, girl...

48 minutes ago, Saishu said:

I feel like Kaoru and Shinya aren’t handling the aging process very well. 

as if the jacked one that drops his voice in the making of videos does ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

38 minutes ago, geist said:

Papa Kaoru

o m g

29 minutes ago, nekkichi said:

o m g

pls no bully

btw I'm sure most have already noticed, but ningen o kaburu is on iTunes (US) for $3.87. I probably should have just waited for the single on iTunes instead of paying that ungodly amount to get a physical version.

I think this is the first time Kaoru is back to purple hair since the macabre era? Very pleased with this development. Overall the band has had a sharp increase in quality looks in the past couple of years, it's nice to see them visually interesting again.

47 minutes ago, emmny said:

kaoru carries the whole band sis ofc he looks tired !

Tired is fine! Being in your 40s and looking like you’re in an emo band circa 2003 is not!

from kyotaku:

You Masuda twitter 2018.04.26

「人間を被る」はフラゲ日のデイリー・チャートでは3位だったようだね。もちろん俺のチャートでは今週ぶっちぎりの1位だけど。

‘Ningen no Kaburu hit the 3rd place on daily popularity charts. On my personal chart it’s an undisputed number 1 this week.