nick

DIR EN GREY new single "人間を被る" (Ningen wo Kaburu) release

That Utafumi live version is disgusting, like humorously bad. If I were them I would try to eradicate it from existence rather than promote it on a new single. Kyo doesn’t even sound like he’s trying to sound like he does on the studio version, it sounds like some random drunken karaoke performance.

I miss Kyo’s growls, he can actually pull them off live usually unlike the hardcore punk shouting stuff.

Edited by Kelrya

52 minutes ago, Seelentau said:

Still better than most of Western music, where a single is literally just one song, not even in physical form. Laughable.

That’s pretty much what the Marrow singles are; a single song and then nothing because who the fuck cares about the live bullshit that was tacked on to those? At least Sleazoid and Ryoujoku have the benefit of being different from the album versions. 

1 hour ago, Seelentau said:

Still better than most of Western music, where a single is literally just one song, not even in physical form. Laughable.

Honestly, I'd prefer it that way. It's a money saver. I'd rather drop more on a full album than a single with:

1. A song that'll be on the album anyways

2. Some average b-side/average remix/average live track

3. Some average b-side/average remix/average live track

4. Etc.

I just want to know what the album will sound like and buy that. And if there are some killer b-sides, I'd rather they find a way to put it on the album even if it's just as bonus tracks. I think the after-market value also tells just how much people care about singles too since their value drops drastically within months of release. Unless it's its own standalone release, I find physical singles kind of pointless nowadays.

Edited by ghost

The ultimate ''blatant disc filler material'' duel: bad live recordings or (usually equally terrible)  remixes?

Neither for moi :D

I still can’t get into that Kai Remix CD even today. 

But if it is life or death situation, perhaps I would choose to die by drum and beats tunes than ooga booga live shoutings

The sad part is that live tracks COULD be interesting, if it was done right.

They COULD for example include some old live track from the early days, perhaps a special performance of some kind, something they rarely play... But instead it seems like they almost without fail choose boring material.

For example, they played the original versions of Karma and Byou Shin at the MARROW leg of the depression tour, they weren't featured on the DVD, so it would've been a neat live track bonus to have them included on the single.

But instead we get their latest single in one of the poorest renditions I've heard so far (and I've heard way too many I'm afraid). 

I'm just trying to say that including live tracks could be interesting if they actually had a clue what people wanted to hear.

The Ash re-re-remake actually sounds a lot like the D’erlanger cover they did last year. 

I like it more than I did at first but the mixing is still holding it back. The lack of dynamics between the acoustic part with the loud compressed drums and the rest of the song is so noticeable. Also, ever since the Difference Sense chorus with the singing and screaming in unison I’ve been hoping for another chorus like that. We finally get it here but the screaming is nearly inaudable due to the mixing. It’s ironic that they probably payed way more than usual to record these songs and they sound worse. Like what is up with that part in the second verse of 人間を被る where it sounds like someone is growling from underwater?

You mean the "Zankyō Twelve" part?

By the way, the Utafumi performance is from the same day the mode of Wtd. recording will be from... so y'all know what y'all can expect :s

Edited by Seelentau

Had this shit on repeat so I feel like I can give a proper review.

Ningen is a pretty cool A-Side. Its simple like Utafumi but the riffage and forcefulness makes it that much enjoyable. The chorus is cool in a haunting way especially the end part. Its nothing too special but this can hold me over since I'm really pleased with how it turned out. I didn't care much for the OG version of ASH but the remake is surprisingly well done. I miss being able to groove along to a Dir en grey song and it feels like its a proper blend of their older and recent stuff unlike EASY MAKE which seemed like it belonged exactly on The Unraveling.  Utafumi live isn't that bad but i'm sick of that track and consider it one of Dir en grey's weakest songs/releases. They could've opted Utafumi with another recent song and id be fine. Placing it as the live song was poor decision.

Lets see what else comes of this. 

54 minutes ago, Seelentau said:

You mean the "Zankyō Twelve" part?

By the way, the Utafumi performance is from the same day the mode of Wtd. recording will be from... so y'all know what y'all can expect :s

Yeah I think it’s that part, it’s hard to understand him even with the lyrics lol.

I just want the live extras... oh hey yet another "Sustain the untruth" wuhuu... god I want old sooongs not this new stuff that's on literally every release in some form ._.

The mode of releases truly are godsend.

14 minutes ago, Kelrya said:

Sustain always sounds bad live, it’s another song where Kyo doesn’t even seem to try, maybe he’s sick of playing it.

Personally I feel like the band and the audience is always WAY too excited about that track. It's the only Dir en grey track I can't even bear myself to interact during concerts for, they tack it on every single live it feels like, and yet the audience roars whenever it starts and acts like it's a godsend. 

Hageshisa's single is probably the best mixed song I've heard from them, but it has never worked well live. I don't know why they like to shoehorn these singles into their lives as soon as they come out and then force them for years.

40 minutes ago, blacktooth said:

Hageshisa's single is probably the best mixed song I've heard from them, but it has never worked well live. I don't know why they like to shoehorn these singles into their lives as soon as they come out and then force them for years.

Hageshisa has a handful of performances where it’s RAW af. But I do agree with the shoehorning though. Funny, it’s only the recent singles after Rinkaku that I feel this is a thing. 

I'm surprised to see people hating on the studio version of Utafumi. It's a really catchy song, has a slight progressive edge and it's mixed a little better then this single (still far from good). The harsh vocal sections are especially good. This song on the other hand sounds like c-grade Arche, it's just boring and has the worst production I've heard from these guys in a long time. Ash is alright but the title track is their worst single track yet imo, even below Sustain the Untruth.

The harsh vocal production was way better on 詩踏み that’s for sure. I can barely even hear half the screams on this new song.

Edited by Kelrya