Kira_Uchiha

Been out of touch with Vk and Japanese music in general, recommendations?

Hello there beautiful people, I hope you're doing great. It's been a long time since I've last seriously delved into Japanese music, especially Visual Kei. It's been 3-4 years I think. I kinda grew out of it because most bands started to sound the same to me, but I'd love to get back into it. What I'm looking for are artists similar in style to D'espairsRay (preferably [Coll:set] era), Dir En Grey (old and new, but Uroboros era hmmm), 12012 (DEICIDA OF SILENCE), Alice Nine (Gemini era), amber gris, the Gazette (DIM era), ONE OK ROCK (Niche Syndrome era), sukekiyo and Versailles.

Anything that fit in these styles, or come quite close to them?
I'd love to discover some new talent from Japan after so long.

I don't now if this fits the bill entirely, but the new Vamps album 'Underworld' has gone in a very industrial rock vein, much darker and heavier than their first three albums. There are various western rock guests on there, including one of the guitarists from Rammstein, the singer from Motionless in White and Apocalyptica. It might not be to everyone's taste, but I'm enjoying the big riffs and industrial crunch.

if you're not aware, temari did some solo stuff which only lasted for a limited time. now he does session stuff only, i believe.

the guitarist of amber gris, kaname, formed a band called Sioux. he does vocals for the band and the sound is pretty similar to amber gris along with the art-kei aesthetics.

also, develop one's faculties is definitely worth checking out

Spoiler

Edited by plastic_rainbow

I have a couple of visual kei i will list below:

Dezert as suji mentioned is amazing recommend the songs from Zanteiteki occult shuukanshi ① as a start

On 2/4/2018 at 5:08 AM, Kira_Uchiha said:

12012 (DEICIDA OF SILENCE),

Sel'm is good. Some of there stuff is okayish i usually stick to singles they did pv's on.

Spoiler

Its hard to put something up similar to alice nines old stuff at least in my book.

I recommend D=Out for this one thats the only thing i can think of at the moment.

*Updated: Another one to add is AND eccentric agent: They are relatively older but the vocalist's new band is named reign*

AND eccentric agent:

Spoiler

Reign:

Spoiler

As for ONE OK ROCK

Edited by Axius

There's lots of GazettE rips coming out of the woodworks lately, so you'll love stuff from ゴシップ (gossip). Also SARIGIA hasn't released their first single yet, but they're sounding super promising.

I would also further recommend anything by DEZERT.

I think one of the major standouts recently is Xaa Xaa theyve been extremely active and have released some super stellar stuff definetly worth cheking out

+more

Spoiler

Thanks for all of your suggestions!

For Dezert, I downloaded as much of their stuff as I could find, old and new. I listened to a few of their songs and I must say, they're my favorite suggestion so far.

Vamps' new album also sounds nice, and is a good change of sound, I didn't like their previous releases so much, it seems like this album might be the one that catches my attention.

10 hours ago, The Moon said:

This reminds me of the VK cringe thread, just with better production, the singer's acting is fucking gold x)

10 hours ago, plastic_rainbow said:

if you're not aware, temari did some solo stuff which only lasted for a limited time. now he does session stuff only, i believe.

the guitarist of amber gris, kaname, formed a band called Sioux. he does vocals for the band and the sound is pretty similar to amber gris along with the art-kei aesthetics.

also, develop one's faculties is definitely worth checking out

Reveal hidden contents

Did he release anything for his solo? Just a single?
It sounds so good.

Sioux sounds nice, but I can't really get behind the singer, his vocals sound pretty weird.

And Develop One's Faculties is a big surprise, they are pretty creative, I love it!

9 hours ago, patientZERO said:

There's lots of GazettE rips coming out of the woodworks lately, so you'll love stuff from ゴシップ (gossip). Also SARIGIA hasn't released their first single yet, but they're sounding super promising.

I would also further recommend anything by DEZERT.

Ahhh I tried listening to gossip and imo these guys are definitely not a good ripoff of the Gazette. Sarigia on the other hand show some promise.

It's sad that there's nothing else like in the Dim and Stacked Rubbish era, those were fucking amazing. And I like their more progressive rock/metal songs such as Dogma and Ominous, those are really well structured songs.

9 hours ago, -NOVA- said:

I think one of the major standouts recently is Xaa Xaa theyve been extremely active and have released some super stellar stuff definetly worth cheking out

+more

Reveal hidden contents

I tried listening to the songs you sent a few times but sorry, I don't really connect to this band. They aren't bad, it's more like they have great ideas but poorly executed. For example after the first 38 seconds of the first song, it kinda just falls flat. But thank you for your suggestion either way :3 

On 07/02/2018 at 12:09 AM, Kira_Uchiha said:

This reminds me of the VK cringe thread, just with better production, the singer's acting is fucking gold x)

HOLY SHIT!  That was amazing.  Best laugh of the week!  I seriously only clicked it because you mentioned the cringe threads and wow, yeah, that deserves a special place in the hall of fame.

On 2/6/2018 at 8:09 AM, Kira_Uchiha said:

Did he release anything for his solo? Just a single?

It sounds so good.

Sioux sounds nice, but I can't really get behind the singer, his vocals sound pretty weird.

And Develop One's Faculties is a big surprise, they are pretty creative, I love it!

he only released two EPs, which were live-limited. :( i believe the first one was uploaded here though.

yeah, seems like not many people like his vocals. i don't have much of a problem with it though.

glad to hear you like develop one's faculties! you should check their discography when you have the chance~ ^^

On 2/6/2018 at 7:51 AM, Axius said:

*Updated: Another one to add is AND eccentric agent: They are relatively older but the vocalist's new band is named reign*

AND eccentric agent:

Reveal hidden contents

Reign:

Reveal hidden contents

As for ONE OK ROCK

Just noticed you updated your recommendations, thanks!

AND Eccentric Agent kinda sounds a bit too much like they wanna be The GazettE x)

But Reign sounds interesting, I looked up a few stuff from them and Death Waltz is really sticking with me, it's a greatly written song.

But hoLY SHIT MY FIRST STORY SOUNDS EXACTLY LIKE WHAT I NEED!

Thanks, I needed my fix of old school ONE OK ROCK, I miss this sound from them.