CAT5

Monochrome Heaven's SUUPAA Fantastic ANIME OST Trade-Off! ( ̄▽ ̄)ノ

Well, I know I'm early, but I'm posting my review! My partner was@platy(who also made the cover)

Mahou Shoujo Maou Chan

emrJE9K.png

The story goes:
A magical girl find herself in a dark twist of fate after realizing that her powers weren't given to her without a price to pay. Once they die all magical girls must spend the after life working for an evil force until they have paid off their debt. Our MC's discovers that all familiars who offer contracts are actually mahou shoujos who have been condemned to this fate and will work until they have signed on enough contracts for the cycle to repeat itself endlessly. Of course MC can't accept this and rebels along with other girls she encounters on her journey across hell to find and defeat the Evil One once and for all, thus ending the cycle.

Hats off to Platy. You really gave this mix a looooot of thought. The mix brought your anime concept to life and it felt like I had watched the show already and was revisiting the soundtrack. 

Platy gave me a list of when each song might play, but to make things a bit more interesting I thought I'd give my first interpretations and post that. Ikuzo!

Spoiler

モノクロパンダ - 記憶喪失girl
For an opening theme, it feels a little too laid back. I feel like opening tracks tend to be full of energy and have catchy melodies but I get more "getting ready for the day" or "introduction" vibes from the rhythm and simplicity. I think it sets the tone just right for what's about to begin though.

UNDERTALE soundtrack - Dating Start!
This track has the same feel as the last one but even more cheery and optimistic. I love the combination of 8-bit sounds with piano.

Tokitowa Soundtrack - Juvenile
From this point onwards the mix delves more into fantasy sounds. This track makes you feel like you've just entered a magical kingdom where you can see the lush green landscapes and emerald lakes surrounding a massive fortress. The song leaves some breathtaking imagery in your head.

Talkless - ทัศนาจร
This is the first hint that maybe everything is not as it seems. The cutesy whimsical sound is still present, but only underneath sad melodies, creepy sound effects, and soft and subdued vocals. It's a very chill track that also has a lot of details going on in the background.

Little Nightmares soundtrack - Lure Of The Maw
At this point it's pretty clear that there is something evil about this place. The track features a lot of dissonant brass chords that make me feel anxious. And, the steady rhythm of a distant drum hit sounds like a clock counting down to someone's death. 

NieR:Automata soundtrack - 遊園施設
And now the sadness of the anime is put in focus. The string melody sounds desperate and the booming toms add an air of severity to the situation. Won't somebody do anything to save the mahou shoujos?

甘茶 - 草原の雨
A delicate and simple piano track. It's a song that might play during a hopeful scene. I really like the chords and harmonies and find myself playing the parts in my head as I listen along.

Kalafina - red moon
This is a powerful rock waltz. Finally, some action is being taken! The vocalist has an amazing voice and their delivery is sincere and precise. As great of a rock song as this is, I love the quieter parts that carry a very baroque/gothic vibe.

NieR:Automata soundtrack - 遺サレタ場所/斜光
This is a very somber yet epic sounding track that I imagine playing during an emotional scene. Perhaps in the aftermath of a tragedy or during a journey towards somewhere. The repeating piano cadence is simple yet very effective and stands out juxtaposed to the more complex elements in the song like the vocals, drums, and orchestra.

甘茶 - 呪われたピアノ
Very ominous sounding. This sounds like it would play during a surprise scene where shocking news is revealed to the main characters or when they encounter a villain.

Ragnarok Online soundtrack - Underneath The Temple
A+ track! It's a stellar fusion of baroque, folk, and jazz/funk. It's refreshing to hear something a bit more light and upbeat.

Kalafina - Lacrimosa
This is another track of epic proportions. There's a nice balance between orchestral and rock parts and the beat is quite upbeat. I think Kalafina is really growing on me! 

甘茶 - 赤毛のアン~かがやく泉
Ahhh this track is wonderful. The delicate piano lines meld into one another and the mood is so uplifting. It's so full of whimsical warmth. Everything is now as it should be.

Kalafina - neverending
And with that, the show comes to an end. Peace and happiness is restored to the land and all the mahou shoujos are free. It's a great uplifting place to end the series on that neatly ties the story up.

アルルカン - lullaby
This sounds like a perfect ED for this! The heaviness highlights on the more intense parts of the anime, and yet it's not too extreme and so doesn't feel out of place. The acoustic guitar parts really help to connect the track to the feel of prior songs too. And, especially for a theme, it's got that catchy pop appeal that people can sing along to and recognize easily.

-

Before this review I had no idea what Mahou Shoujo was. When I looked it up I was kind of scared that the mix would be full of hyper techno vocaloid music. But, to my relief it was almost the complete opposite. You did a fantastic job of turning something cute into a dark and serious tale. I can tell that from the beginning you had a very clear vision of what you wanted as every track has a purpose and fits right into the theme.

I thought the flow of the mix was well paced too without any tracks feeling like they were dragging things down or playing out of place. This is probably one of the best constructed mixes I've had to pleasure of listening to so far. 

5/5

It was a fun trip and I wanna thank you! I hope you find my mix enjoyable too!

Edited by ghost

I've given @qotka's mix a few spins and I think I'm ready to give my review too. :D

ラウド音!!(Loud On!!)

JFVAM1u.png

Genre: "Sports" anime/shounen but the main character is a girl

Synopsis: Emily is a first year high school student whose real passion is metal music. She joins the light music after-school club because that’s as close as she can get to starting her own band in the small town she lives in. But soon enough she gets frustrated with fellow members’ artistic choices and rigid club hierarchy, and sets out on her own path. Assuming the role of vocalist and band leader, she goes on to recruit some interesting personas from around the school - Saki, the weird otaku girl, on guitar, Kai, the mysterious new kid with no friends, on bass, and Robert, an exchange and a metalhead, on drums - to form the band of her dreams, The Deadly Rainbows. Her goal is to prove that despite what people keep telling her, metal is as “real”, full of passion, and elegant as any other genre out there! But can The Deadly Rainbows really win the audience over as they finally face the other competitors at the city’s battle of bands?

Mood: This mixtape hopefully conveys Emily’s journey - from her trying to play by the rules and then, after trying to inject some of her ideas into the club activities, getting fed up with it all. Following that buildup, like in any good ‘sports’ anime - she’s going to work very hard and with the help of her comrades, prove everyone that the path she chose may not be easy, but she’s ready to overcome any failure or difficulty and prove everyone that she, I mean her band, is the best!

When I saw the tracklist for this mix I was immediately excited and am now a little sad this is not an real anime because I would love to watch it! Brb gonna email Netflix about this rn. 

Spoiler

OP: BABYMETAL - メギツネ

Any anime starting with this song as the theme would be on my must watch list, but with the plot summary it's even more perfect. This is one of my favorite Babymetal songs. It's cute but not so cute it distracts from the lyrics or badass musicianship of the kamiband. It seems like a perfect OP with the intensity and incorporating the best of Jpop and metal. :_10/10_:!!!!

tumblr_m5ugql5goD1qesqsd.gif

ピエール中野 (ft. 大森靖子) - チョコレイト・ディスコ

I had no idea TK wasn't the only Ling member who had solo work. I need to check out this full release if I can get my hands on it. Nakano has some heavy hitters working with him, after seeing Oomori Seiko and Kyono on the tracklist I'm already sold! The song is a bit too repetitive to go on for nearly 4 minutes imho, BUT it is catchy and it's easy to picture this song playing while our protagonist rides a bicycle through the city or countryside on her way to school full of optimism and youthful energy. So it's very apt at painting a vivid picture.  (Edit: I also just learned this is a Perfume cover so color me even more intrigued.) :_7.5/10_:

KISHIDA KYODAN & THE AKEBOSHI ROCKETS - night birds

This sounds like a song for our Emily's first school band (the one she joins before creating her own). Easy to listen to, very sweet and straightforward. I can dig it. I've never heard of this band before but google says they've done a few anime themes, which is not a stretch of the imagination. xD They have the anisong feeling down. Decent song, but could be more interesting. :_7/10_:

LOVELIVE! (にこりんぱな) - after school NAVIGATORS

The LL! and Babymetal trash that I am was probably too happy to see this song make it to the mix since it's the best of both worlds. It's my favorite of all the LL!SIF songs! And the lyrics are big mood for me all the time. lol Always hungry. uwu I can see this as the uplifting song that shows Emily for who she really is, even if it was disappointing trying to fit in with the school band and having a tough time. :_9.5/10_:

Neru Feat. 鏡音リン - 東京テディベア

I don't know much about vocaloid (is that what this is? Sorry about my ignorance) but I usually stay away from it because I'm not a big fan of vocals processed quite to this extent. I like synth, but full on robot voice might be my limit. Musicially this is a lot of fun though. If it was an instrumental, or had a piano playing the vocal melody instead I'd be into it. I do appreciate the change in style keeps the mix from getting monotonous and you didn't let the energy drop by using a ballad/slower tempo track. :_2.5/10_:

Danger☆Gang - core -kokoro-

Going OG for this one! I always wanted to support this band more but finding their releases was a lot harder than some other bands so I sort of fell behind over the years. This song was a staple for me for a while though. Listening to it now, it's not quiet as great as I used to think it was back then (but that was like what... 12 years ago?), but there's so much nostalgia in it that it still gets me excited so marks for that. My headcanon has this as Emily's favorite band that she sees in concert to solidify her dream to be a heavy metal girl.  :_6/10_:

ALDIOUS - ジレンマ

Aldious are always on the fringes of my radar. But the power metal style they do isn't much in my wheelhouse. I can appreciate they are talented and this track is something I can nod along to but it feels like it needs to let loose a little more. Everything is just a little too perfect. Too pristine, too reserved. I like my rock/metal a little messier. But I do like how this starts a build in intensity for the following tracks. :_4/10_:

BAND-MAID - Don't you tell ME

This song has more pep to it and the energy takes a step up, I really like how the chorus kicks the door down when it starts. This is another band I'd like to look more into their recent albums. The vocalist has a lower husky voice in this that I gravitate to. I didn't remember them sounding like this. For some reason I expected a higher typical pop voice? So it's definitely been too long since I checked them out.  :_6.5/10_:

DOLL$BOXX - Shout Down

This song takes the energy and kicks it up to the next level, which feels like I keep rooting for our protagonist to succeed. It's all coming together for her. If I remember correctly this is a project band between two others right? I remembered Gacharic Spin was a part of it but I had to google what band the others were from.... Ahhh Light Bringer. It feels like it's been so long since I've seen anything about them. I'm diggin' the song though. I find myself wanting to get my fist in the air. lol.  :_8/10_:

Dragdown -  粛清

This track is so heavy it practically explodes when it starts. If this is Emily and The Deadly Rainbow's final evolution everyone better watch the hell out because they are gonna eat their competition for breakfast! The song may pass my metal limits, usually when I hear blast beats I gracefully bow out. But I am here for those sludgy breakdowns. And those vocals. Oh hell yes.  :_5/10_:

ED: BiSH - ろっくんろおるのかみさま

For a pop rock song the bass in this track straight up punched me in the face! It has a nice, galloping beat that has a solid momentum for an ED. It fits the overall concept and has a nice positive feeling too. This sort of brings me back to the 3rd track and helps to complete the mix full circle. There's really not a lot to say, it's fun and I like it! XD :_7.5/10_:

Thanks for being my partner @qotka! I enjoyed your mixtape a lot. It felt like a few songs were integral in telling the story, and others more for atmosphere and emotional depth. Overall, it's pretty well-rounded and had a good pace that kept growing throughout. I also love that since the anime focused on a female protagonist you used female vocals/female fronted bands to tell the story with the OST. Great choice!

Edited by doombox

i've got an upcoming funeral in the next few days that'll last four days, so i won't be able to get my review in until that's over. (can probably get it done sometime early march at the latest)

i'll try to give the mix a few listens in the mean time though!

I'm ready to post my review on @YuyoDrift's mixtape :) . Wish me luck on this XD.

Lucid Love

2a6qt6a.jpg

The story :

The main protagonist Kin has been waking up in tears every morning for the past year. Kin doesn’t know why he cries, as the dreams he has are different every night, yet end the same way:  seeing the silhouette of someone, and the feeling of longing to embrace them, and knowing they can’t.
One day, Kin meets a woman, who he begins to get close to. As time goes by (episode by episode), he begins to fall in love with her. What’s also happening is that along with his tears, the silhouette in every one of Kin’s dreams begins to disappear more and more, with him having a harder time waking up from each dream consequently. Kin realizes what’s going on: He’s dying slowly. Will he fall in love with her completely, tears and silhouette disappearing in his dreams as a result, and never waking up? This anime redefines the human psyche, questioning the reality of love, sacrifice and what it truly means to be happy.

Well, it's my first time doing this and I for sure am happy for participating because I got to discover new songs and revive some old favorites. I even put them in my music player on the phone and have been listening to them quite a lot. I'm so happy trades offs like this exist here and hope to participate in the next one as well ^^. Without further rants, here are my ratings and opinions :

Spoiler

Opening : Immi – WONDER

My kind of opening theme XD. I'm the type who loves opening songs more than endings and choosing this song as an opening theme makes my shallow ass want to actually dive into the rest of the anime. The "ta ta ta ta ra" parts are really catchy (found myself humming them quite often). It has more energy and cheerfulness than the rest of the songs but still fits the mellow vibe I get from this playlist. Like it's uplifting but not the extreme where it seems like a different story. It's more of a "hey a story is about to begin so I'm here to catch your attention" and I'm totally here with all my senses.

Plays during Kin’s Dreams : Yeule – I Miss You This Much

Listening to this song gave me a "OH I SEE WHAT YOU DID WITH THIS" moment XD. And also having a label for each song made it easier for me to fit them in each moment of the anime. But nevertheless this playlist was damn well thought so I give you mad props for this. It ain't really my cup of tea but I won't say no to this "I'm having a dream and I'm floating" vibe the song gives me. Like I can picture Kin's entire dream experience and can guess the setting of it and what happens.

Unexplicable Tears Every Morning : The Cure – Boys Don’t Cry

I mean it's The Cure guise XD. I love this whole post-punk late 70's vibe we got on here for this anime. Kin wakes up every time with tears in his eyes, doesn't know why but he wants to see that silhouette, longs to touch it and all that. The lyrics sort of match the vibe of the moment (longing for someone lost). And yeah, boys do cry ya'll XD.

We meet at last… : MONDO GROSSO - 惑星タントラ

So Kin is getting some IRL now. And this is his love song. "Boy meets love" damn straight he does! The music is so calm and chill and I think it fits the character's mood too (I feel like he is this chill and slightly mellow guy). I'm so rooting for him in his finding love quest he has here. The song makes me get into this cheerful, happy mood while still keeping me ground leveled and chill.

This is Different … : La’cryma Christi – THE SCENT

But wait, the silhouette in his dreams keeps fading away Dun dun duun! So this is kinda where he gets a little triggered and starts doubting himself and what he feels. Is he really happy or is this just in his head? He feels all kinds of connections with his love interest but is that true? (goddamn it Kin, please). And also this experience makes it hard for him to wake up. The song is like those parts where the couple drive to the beach together and they crack watermelons and eat popsicles and then enjoy a lovely sunset while hugging each other in the sand (don't touch me I am not crying). But for Kin something still feels kinda off but he can't really pin point what. Love the warm vocals of the song the 90's v-key style that I love listening to from time to time. And the song didn't make me cry, ok?

She’s the One : Base Ball Bear – YOU’RE MY SUNSHINE のすべて

BOY IS COMPLETELY LOVESICK ! He can't stop thinking about her, they click in real life, everything is going on smoothly. The tears have stopped, the dreams aren't happening either. Kin probably thinks that it's because he's met this wonderful human being, he probably thinks she is his soulmate and that's what cured him from his dark days. These are the overall feelings I have listening to this song in this context. This song is a love song and brings out the happy mood with the positive energy coming from the melody and the cute lyrics.

In Kin’s Own Head : Hydeout Productions – Luv(Sic) featuring Shing02

This song matches so well with everything going on, even the lyrics fit in nicely. Kin is like "I love her so damn much" and "is she the one?" But along with the cute love feelings he feels, he slowly is realizing and having weird thoughts. "What was the dream trying to tell me? Why is it slowly disappearing and why do I feel sick all of a sudden?". This song makes me picture the whole scene as a combination of any Gorillaz music video and rap music videos from the 90's about the street life. A pure love that he wish he could continue for the rest of his life. He wishes love could heal him forever. It's such a cute love song and I actually had tears in my eyes while listening to it. This song made me emotionally attached to Kin and I wish someone would help him already e deserves happiness ;A; .

Time to Choose… : Pierce the Veil – Falling Asleep on a Stranger

Kin has come to term with him slowly dying and knows that he might up falling more and more in love, tears and silhouette disappearing in his dreams as a result, and never waking up. But he doesn't know what to do. And literally that's what pisses  me off. Come on, isn't there any cure for this boy here please? ;A; It's that one scene where everything seems to be going wrong and the character is having cold feet or is going through some kind of emotional roller coaster that he cannot seem to be able to escape. And the song fits the mood nicely, in my opinion it boasts the whole atmosphere up and I can feel the tension with every beat.

Ending 1 : Plastic Tree - 時間坂

This first ending gave me all kinds of anxiety to be honest. I don't know if the main character chose to die or something good happened to him? I guess it fits the whole ambiguous "think fo' yo'self" mood of the anime. It gave me room for interpretation and I think that Kin is probably having a very hard time fighting with himself. I gotta say I love the melody and my heart already was won by that bass (I am all about that bass XD) and Ryutaro's soft mellow voice brings out the mellow feelings of the anime while making me anxious. I imagine Kin being in this state where his soul is literally floating in the air and nothing goes through his mind.

Ending 2 : HYDE – Shallow Sleep

I can't deal with this song at all. I'm trying to avoid it so much but it comes back at me. It's so damn sweet and sad and it makes me cry way too much. Hyde is unfair for making songs like this (hold on I'm calling the police). So let me get this straight : is Kin trying to make a promise with his love that he will eventually wake up from this deep sleep and they will meet again or what? Is she accepting this ? He definitely is having an internal battle, a rather peaceful one, I don't know if he's going to wake up or not in the end. But I guess it doesn't even matter anymore. You can make up your own ending.

Anime Ending : Do As Infinity – Sense of Life

How you going to choose a DAI song for an ending theme? Do you want me to suffer more or what??? Just when I thought I could cope with the sadness and move on, the ending theme feels like there is still hope for A SENSE OF LIFE. Either a new life is happening or the long lost one is being upgraded to a new fresh level. Either way it seems like there is still hope and the morning sun will bring a new beginning and light into the dark state the soul is in.

Thank you for being my partner, @YuyoDrift ! I had so much fun listening to the playlist and trying to figure out what was happening while crying my eyes out at certain songs. I'd give this experience a 10/10. Really loved how the songs blended so well with the story and made me have all kinds of thoughts. I would watch this anime and I will gladly cry and be angry at the author for leaving my heart hanging and my head having all kinds of unanswered questions ;A;.

Edited by Triangle

Here comes my review to @Kira_Uchiha's Anime OST mixtape~

4dhsNidn.jpg:large

Odysee

Genre: Space, Sc-fi, Horror

Story (tried to sume it up with my own words, if you like you can read the full version below) :D

in the year 2056 a metoroid crashes on earth which later helps mankinds techonological progress but also brought a virus that infected the planet, the results are that more than half of plants, animals and mankinds popluation died. Thanks to their advancement in techonolgy they found a way to keep mankind alive, another galaxy with 6 planets were people could keep on living. With 8 ships the rest of humanity makes their way to the galaxy called "Babylon" in cryogenic sleep for 350 years. But once they arrived there the planets were, as they had with frightening to determine, withered except for one planet, their last hope. the protagonist a leader with his squad called CODA set off to explore this Planet "Hope 1". While CODA comes to realize that this Planet is just fine for people to live the main ship is being attacked by enemies that appeared out of nowhere! CODA being unable to contact the main ship makes their way to find any vessel that might be around. The Squad is searching for the rest via heat signatures and gets closer to one of the withered planets with a pyramid like building in it. But as their camouflag system fails a fleet appears and tries to attack them. Unfortunately CODA is unable to escape and being absorbed by one of the enemies ships. The leader later finds himself in a groteske room and tubes being attached to him that extracts blue liquid out of him. He removes them trying to find out whats going on in his surrounding. He sees a gate that he later finds out is a gate to hell which is also the origin of these creatures that kept him and probable the rest of humanity hostage. Not just hostage but their souls are being taken to keep the gate open so they can return home one day. Completely shocked by what he found out hes aimlessly wandering around & ends up in front of the overloard who later attachs a tube to his neck, this time with a red liquid that apparently turns him into one of these creatures himself. The leader then follows his job taking lifes to keep the gate open.

Spoiler

It's the year 2056, date 17th of October. A strange red blinding light engulfed the skies of Earth for 8 seconds. During these 8 seconds, the whole of mankind experienced a sense of dread and impending doom. Right after this bizarre occurence, a meteorite crashed in the shallow seas of the Indian Ocean. This series of event was later titled as "Gehenna". A treaty was sign between the most powerful and technologically advanced countries to reunite the best scientists and analyze the meteorite. Fast forward to 2070, 14 years later, humanity progressed leaps and bounds technologically thanks to a new and unique compound extracted from the meteorite, but this came at a heavy price. The meteorite seemed to carry a virus that infected the planet. Earth's natural resources were being depleted 5.3 times faster than usual. During these 14 years, the endangered species of animals and plants died off, 68% of the most common animals and plant died off with the rest turning hostile and feral, and 59% of mankind's population died due to starvation, in-fighting or fell victim to the feral animals and vegetation.

Thanks to the advancement in technology, space exploration companies pooled their resources together, found a galaxy where humanity could possibility inhabit and thrive, and built 8 gigantic spaceships to contain the remaining of the population. This galaxy was named "Babylon", and it consisted of 13 planets, 6 of them habitable. All of the preparations were complate by 2072, the rest of Earth's population boarded the spaceships wilt hope and uncertainty in their hearts, and would do the voyage in cryogenic sleep for 350 years. They leave this withering planet for a new galaxy full of possibilities. The protagonists of this story are the special reconnaissance crew of 4 people, Squad CODA.

It is now the year 2422, the 5 space vessels reached their destination, Babylon. Slowly, one by one, all of the population are waking up from they cryogenic sleep. After 24 hours, everyone on the 8 spaceships are finally awake. They went on the decks of their ships, wanting to behold their new home, Babylon. As they take a look at the 6 planets, they saw that something went wrong during these 350 years... Very very wrong. Out of the 6 golden worlds, 5 of them seemed withered... just like Earth. Each vessels sent probes to each planets, wanting to discover if their suspicions were real. After several hours, every probes reported the same disheartening news; a meteorite containing a unique compound was found, and the life forms of each planets were scarce, and hostile towards each other. One of the withered planet had a strange, pyramid like tower. This is the moment when humanity realized that their extinction might actually be close at hand. But there was one last remaining planet that could be their salvation. Squad CODA from the Vessel #1, the Pathfinder Vessel, geared up and boarded a smaller, much more nimble ship, the "Tidebinder". With the remaining hope of humanity on their shoulders, they set off for the last golden planet, "Hope 1".

The Tidebinder enters the atmosphere of Hope 1 and circles around to find a landing zone through the dense vegetation. That was already a good sign, this planet seemed to still be full of life. They finally find a landing spot near a waterfall. The Tidebinder lands, and CODA sets out to explore the planet, without a need for helmet as it seemed like this planet already had plenty enough oxygen to sustain human life according to the Tidebinder's scanners. A few hours in, and they find several different types of creatures, mostly docile ones. They also find humanoid like creatures that are around 5 meters tall. CODA tried to make contact with these giants but to no avail. The giants seemed to understand that they would not be able to communicate and just went on their way. After a total of 5 hours of exploration, CODA was confident that Hope 1 was the starting point of humanity's survival. They contact the vessels to give them the amazing news... but they only get static back. They try for 30 minutes, but no answer...

-3 hours after CODA leaves the Pathfinder Vessel to explore Hope 1-
While Squad CODA was out for exploration, the scientists and leaders of each vessels started to communicate and decided to start the preparations for basic settlements and research teams. But during these preparations, an unknown fleet approaches... in a similar red light as Gehenna. The population of the vessels are striken by the same sense of dread as back on Earth. The leader of the Pathfinder Vessel tried to make radio-contact with the unknown vessel... nothing back. He tried again... still nothing. He contacted all the other vessels and told them to prepare from combat and escape maneuvers, but right before he finishes, the fleet starts to attack. Completely overwhelmed, every vessel tries to make an escape, but their efforts are in vain. The vessels are incapacitated one after the other, but surprisingly, not destroyed. The main ship of the fleet, which is gigantic and almost relic-like approaches the incapacitated ships, and in a blinding red light, absorbs them. This fleet's mission seemingly accomplished, they return to their homebase...

-Back to the present on Hope 1, Squad CODA-
After trying several times to get an answer from the vessels, CODA decides to board back into the Tidebinder and investigate. Upon exiting the atmosphere, they are greeted with debris from the vessels. No sign from them apart from the debris. CODA is in shock, and in disarray... The squad leader tried to think, and tries to scan the area for any heat signatures. The Tidebinder picks up thousands of heat signatures... but they were way too hot to actually come from humans. They decide to follow the trail, in hopes to find the lost vessels, and the remaining of humanity. After two days of following the heat signatures, they end up on one of the withered planets of the galaxy... the one with the strange pyramid like building. The leader activates the experimental camouflage mode of the Tidebinder, and they try to get a better assessment of the building. The Tidebinder detects abnormally high heat signatures from inside the building. They circle the building, trying to find an entrance to slip in but suddenly, the camouflage system fails. Their presence known, a fleet emerges from the pyramid and start to attack the Tidebinder. CODA tries to escape, going out of the atmosphere of the planet. The leader decided to make course for the dark space, thinking it would be a good hiding spot to lose their pursuers. Right before entering the dark space, the main ship of the enemies blocks their route, and with the same red light, absorbs the Tidebinder and whole CODA squad into it.

Several hours later, the leader wakes up. Trying to get his bearings, he find himself in a strange, sinister room. The walls are grotesque, with tubes coming in and out of them, like veins. The leader is held up at the center of this room, with a tube attached to the back of his neck, and a strange clear blue liquid is being extracted from him. His hands are free, and he's able to easily remove the tube from his neck. His captors must not have expected that someone would wake up from... whatever they were doing to him. Was it the effect of his survival suit? And what was that blue liquid that was being extracted from him? Brushing these questions aside, he makes his way to the only door of this room, quietly opening it and analyzing his surroundings. No one in the corridors... weird, he thought. The walls of the corridors are in the same grotesque fashion as the room he was trapped in. At the left end of the corridors, he sees a dim red light and hears... whispers? He makes his way towards this light, and the whispers slowly grow louder and louder. Reaching the end of the corridor, he stumbled, shocked at what he was in front of his eyes; the tubes of clear blue liquid were leading to one room where bizarre, ugly creatures were injected with the said liquid in pods, similar to cryogenic pods. From there, a reddish, lava-like liquid let to a gun that was firing a beam at the center of the room creating some sort of fissure. What the hell was that? This fissure, were they trying to open some sort of gate? As the leader asked himself this question, the whispers grew even louder, and the whispers turned into screams, screams of agony. Looking directly at the fissure, he realized... this was a gate to another dimension. He didn't need to think, it's like the gate projected the pain and despair into his brain. He knew he had to destroy it... but how? He went to the opposite side, the right side of the corridor, and found a sort of control room. Strangely enough, he could comprehend the symbols displayed. It must have been the effect of the gate. He navigated through the database and found a log describing what these creatures were planning. "This gate is... wait a minute, that can't be right?!" he thought. The dread came down on him, this gate was leading... to hell. These creatures... are from hell. At a lost on what to make of this situation, if what he saw was even real, he mindlessly wandered in the enemy base. A few minutes later, he realizes that he's just been aimlessly wandering. He sees a huge door in front of him. Still feeling hazy, he pushes it open, and enters the room. At the far end of the room, on a throne, lie a humongus, humanoid-like figure: pitch black skin an glowing, fiery eyes are the only feature he can make out. The figure just looks at the leader, silent. The leader slowly moves towards the giant. When he reaches the center of the room, the giant lets out a grunt, and looks at the leader straight in the eyes. Memories flood into his mind - these creatures are from a universe called Hell. Hell contained two waring factions, and at the height of this war, the amount of energy unleashed created a fissure in space-time and sucked one of the factions in our universe. Being outside of their universe, these creature were weakened and would die off as they lost their only source of energy: souls. Souls are in every living being; humans, animals, plants, bacterias, planets everything. These creatures roamed the galaxies, draining every life form of their souls to sustain themselves, and to open back a gate to Hell.

After this surge of memories, the leader regains consciousness on his knees, still at the center of the throne room. The black figure, who he now knows is the Overlord of the cast away faction, stands up and slowly walks towards him. The leader tries to stand up and escape, but as soon as he starts to run, two of these creatures who snuck into the room restrain him. The Overlord finally reaches the leader, and grabs one of the tubes from the walls. But this specific tube did not contain the clear blue liquid, rather it contained the lava-like liquid. The Overlord injects the tube in the back of the leader's neck, and the latters screams in pain. His whole body is burning, is in agony. The creatures release him, and he convulses in pain on the ground, screaming his lungs out. Were they killing him? No... this feeling, this isn't death. This is corruption. Anger, hate, despair, envy, rage and domination filled his mind, his entire being. His body started twising grotesquely on himself. His skin was cracking, and his bloodshot eyes turned red... After what seemed like an eternity, he finally stands up. The Overlord returned to his throne and the leader, or former leader, knew what had to be done. Conquer and exterminate all life forms, and create a gate back to hell... to home.

So I've to say right from the start Im no Sc-Fi Fan and when I read the genre I was a bit worried about what would await me BUT this story turned out better than I had expected! I like how Kira gave each song an extra title like this you knew where in the story you were atm and sometimes I'd be surprised by the choice of songs in certain scenarios but each of them were helpful to picture the story better in your head! this way i also discovered pretty cool songs I probable would have never tired out cuz most them them had this sc-fi/space like sound ANYWAY here comes my review/thoughts to the mixtape (I swear I tried my best lmao):

Spoiler

OP: code - Annabel

acoustic guitar, space like effekts and a calming femal vocalist introducing one to a Sc-Fi advanture. That's what it sounds like tbh if I hadn't read "Horror" as one of the genres I'd have said its an Anime with probable funny advantures and a Happy End, little did I know at that time lol. what I also appreciate is the bass that comes after the middle, giving a stronger space-ish sense to it. All in all cool OP :)

Omnious - Gazette:

I always thought of the song in relation to occult stuff but daaamn it's perfect for the story intro! soft guitar & Rukis clean Vocals but also these effects and weird noise immediately makes you picture how the meteorroid crashes on earth and leaves distruction, despair and frustation. Its in perfect harmony with the story line especially the guitar solo makes me think of how ppl must have fough one another for ressources to survive. to sum it up total Chaos - thats what the song reflects imo

The Future that Awaited Me - Animals as Leaders:

Here comes an instrumental song which starts very calming but you know there's something going on in the Anime. To me it sounded like that must be the moment where they find a new galaxy for mankind and built these 8 gigantic ships to rescue humanity, falling into a deep 350 year long sleep while traveling thru space. This is one of the songs where I liked the guitar the most since the guitar itself already left an image of space-travel there weren't many sc-fi synthesizer sounds needed

Panorama - Crossfaith:

the first turning point of the story appeared. After a more or less cheerful song comes an Insturmental intro that leaves an impression, especially due to the synthesizer sound, that something must have happened. It's the moment everyone awakes and comes to realize that most of the planets are withered. Great song choice imo to let the listener/reader also FEEL this shock and dissapointment they must have had

CODA - TheGazettE:

beautiful acoustic guitar & drums that support this "let's go!" feeling you get when listening to it. Rukis clean voice in it, like hes literally just talking made me picture how CODA in that moment puts on their equipment and stuff to get ready to explore their last hope Planets "Hope 1". It calms a bit down after the tension that the former song build that's what I like about the song in this scenario, it gives some hope

Nachtflug - binario:

Another beautiful VERY sc-fi like song with lots of synthesizer in the intro followed by again a beautiful female voice and female backround vocals. It helps you picture how CODA explores Hope 1 which, thru the good atmosphere the song carries, I imagine very fascinating not just thru the song tho but also thru Kiras describtion of the Planet in his story. The whole Anime seems still very happy-end-like so far and beautiful

Singularity - Born of Osiris:

This Happy-go-lucky atmosphere I still had is being completely crushed here tho! another turning point in the story, a flashback of what happened during CODAs exploration. The whole atmosphere changes here. The guitar intro already lets you predict something is about to happen & as soon as the harshs appear you can literally see how an unknown fleet appears. The constant screams and growls perfectly fit the image of the vessel being suddenly under attack and a main ship pf the fleet appearing out of nowhere to absorb the vessel in a red light

The Omission - Loathe:

The Beginning reflects kind of emptyness but also despair (?) fitting for the tense atmosphere that's starting to build up since CODA is all alone now unable to reach anyone and looking for the others. The trail they follow leads them to the pyramid like building. What I like is how the song changes in the middle. It's getting quiter almost like a little break that their search is getting more and more intense until they reach the building

P.U.R.P.L.E - Loathe:

again a lot of harsh vocals giving of a feeling of chaos in despair. That fleet appears once again to attack CODA and a short calmer guitar section reflects (imo) the moment CODA tries to escape in the dark space but failed, here come the drums in action where one can picture very well how they're being caught by the main ship which also absorbs them

DOGMA - TheGazettE:

We are reaching the highlight of the story and no song could have been better to reflect these bizarr, grotesque and almost gross things the leader of CODA awaits. If you looked forward to the Horror part of the story then here comes you treat. Rukis voice supports the sinister mood you're in while finding yourself in a room that resembles these Alien Movies, a tube attached to the leaders neck with blue liquid being extracted. He manages to leave the room and starts to hear whispers that go well with the female vocals in the background at the end of the song. It's like the story is reaching a peak because it helps you picture that shocking moment when the leader finds out the gate he witnessed is a gate to hell and all the creatures on this ship come from there.

Behold - Born of Osiris:

The acoustic guitar and machine-like sound added with another insturment that reminds me strongly of Nier:Automata's Amuesement Theme Park OST fits the image of the leader wandering around aimlessly due to shock. The drums that come afterwards and the short female backround vocal section are a good reflection of when he finds himself infront of a huge door, opening it and seeing a throne in the middle with a pitch black creature on it who later turns out to be the Overloard.  As he gets closer the creature lets out a grunt which Id interpretate as the part where the harsh vocals appear. The following 4 minutes are a mix of great slams a wonderful guitar solo adn again THOSE harshs makes me imagine how the memorize of the Overload fload into his mind which seems to be a flashback that explains what and why these creatures are doing what they do

Loath - Loath:

A slow & quite intro with piano sound that is being interrupted 30 sec later by harsh vocals but end up in harmony together to me a good combination to support the momet of Despair in this Chapter. Towards the middle of the song the sound goes quites again but is then being accompanied by harsh vocals and fitting synthesizer sounds that step up more and more(?) at this moment Im not sure if its supposed to give emotional support to really feel the helplesness of the protagonist or refers mainly to the creatures flashback

Babylon - Loath:

A calmer and melodic intro, sounds to me like a feeling of numbness the leader must have had after the flashback. In the story the leader is being held by 2 other creatures while the Overloard attachs a tube to this neck. I like how there're screams slowly coming from the background its like watching how the tube is slowly being injected in his neck. When the leader realizes its  a tube with different liquid the harshs also show his pain as he screams because it feels like his body is burning. After that comes an Instrumental section which fits the moment the leader is like crumbling on the ground and overflowing with negative emotions as he's mutating into one of the creatures. This is also where the harsh vocals return.

Monochrome - Novelists:

Its a beautiful song with cool guitar solo, the double vocals are very emotional and therefore fit as ending for the story, also the lyrics. The saxophone is a nice surprise I didnt think it'd sound good together :)

Just want to chime in and say that I've loved reading about everyone's mixtapes so far. You guys really got creative for this, and I hope that everyone will take a moment to share their mixes when this is over.

I'll be a bit late posting my review of @Lestat's mix, as things have been quite busy for me.

Alright, so here's my review of @Shir0's mixtape! She chose to create an OST for the game Final Fantasy XV, which was interesting to see her own take on it since I played this game too.

Final Fantasy XV

Final-Fantasy-XV-group-625x352.jpg

Spoiler

OPENING: Final Fantasy XV - Somnus (Instrumental Version)

"As OP I used FFXV Game OP Somnus cuz well its FF we're talking about and their sound tracks are fucking GOLD its one of my fav ost's cuz its so beautiful and just perfect to get into the game."

This opening carries such an emotional weight to it and obviously completely fits as an starting track as it is from the game itself, but I would have preferred to have another something else to replace an OST from the game itself. Still this brought me some feels.

4/5

No Game No Life - The Kings Plan

"Onto the next song it's an OST from an Anime but I think its fitting to when you first start FF and its all fun and games yknow? haha like Prompto's cheerfulness, when they camp, start new quests and just explore the area."

The second track is a an epic orchestra, and from an anime that I really love. She tried to convey the feeling of the start of a journey, friends on a journey of adventure and exploration. While I do believe it conveys some of these feelings, I think it would better fit as a boss battle track. This track gives much more the image that some epic battle is going down, rather than the start of a new journey.

3/5

FINAL FANTASY XV - Chocobo Theme

"3rd song is the Chocobo theme cuz who does not love riding chocobos right? haha I just had to add it because these is what gives you 100% FF feels."

One of the staples of Final Fantasy, the chocobos. They're adorable and I love them, and while I would again have preferred a track that is not from the FFXV OST, this got me fuzzy and I want a chocobo. Now. Pls.

3/5

NieR Automata - Peaceful Sleep (Vocals)

"Next one is an OST from Nier:automata it reminds me of the time they spend in the island Altissia when they took that gondola ride, went to see Luna's wedding dress and the beautiful island itself."

This song fits perfectly for the depiction of Altissia, which is a city on the sea. It's beautiful and greatly inspired by Venice, with gondola rides to get you to different places, or just to have a peaceful relaxing time. This OST represents the beauty and peacefulness of the city quite well, and I found myself listening to it again when I just wanted a relaxing moment.

5/5

Tokyo Ghoul - Licht und Schatten

"The following song is supposed to reflect that twist when Luna was supposed to call the Leviathan, Noctis fought it and ended up losing her, Ignis losing his eyesight and when the atmosphere among those 4 was pretty much down it really broke my heart."

This song is supposed to encompass several tragedies that hit Noctis and his group of friends, causing the loss of a loved one, the loss of eyesight for Ignis, and creating tension between each of them and their friendship. For me this song doesn't completely fit the theme of sorrow and loss it's supposed to represent. While it does at some point, it feels too "hopeful" at times to represent the pain of these series of events. I really enjoyed this song, but I don't think it fits in too well with the feeling it has to convey.

2/5

Owari no Seraph - 108

"The next song is about when they finally made up in the slump area and start fighting together going from one place to the next one until when Noctis fell into that 10 year sleep, wakes up and sees the world in despair and chaos."

This one is supposed to encompass another series of events in the game: the group patching up, and their moving forward towards their goal, Noctis being swallowed up by a crystal for 10 years and waking up in a world completely different from what he's known; a world in ruin,  world in despair. I think the first part of this song does a great job at portraying the feeling that this has been a long road, that this has been one hell of a journey filled with adventure, excitement, grief, loss and that it's finally the goal is in sight. The second part of the song is completely different, but equally as effective. I can picture this playing after Noctis wakes up after 10 years, and his shock at finding the world in ruins.

5/5

One Punch Man - Main Theme

"After that comes a song for when these 4 reunited and start fighting together again."

Ahhhh One Punch Man's OST <3

I love it so much. While I think it feels a bit too uplifting for the world they are in after 10 years, it has a really nice vibe of camaraderie and warmth, which is I bet how everyone felt when Noctis came back.

3/5

KINGDOM HEARTS III - Don’t Think Twice

"The next song is an OST from Kingdomhearts.

It's supposed to show the screen before Noctis leaves and asks Prompto if he can take one of the pictures he took and you have to select one for him this scene made me cryyy so much haha" (Shir0 is so adorable I swear)

This scene made get the feels too, goddamn. This song plays during the last farewell between the four friends, before Noctis goes to face the last boss, Ardyn. He asks Prompto, the group's photographer, one photo that he could keep close. You can really feel the sense of finality, and this song really helps to bring that out: a last farewell between the four best friends.

5/5

Boku No Hero Academia - You Say Run

"After this comes a song for the fighting scene with Noctis and Ardyn after he completely finishes him."

Let me first say, I love this song so damn much. But while "You Say Run goes with anything" was a meme, unfortunately I don't think it completely fits in there, in relation with the previous tracks. It's feels a bit too heroic and not dramatic enough. "The King's Plan" would have been a better fit for a battle OST of this scale.

3/5

Final Fantasy XV - Sunrise

"As ending serves the FF ending cuz it's just perfect and melts my heart:))))" (Told you, she's cute)

The long journey which changed our four protagonists forever finally comes to an end. Noctis finally gets his happy ending with his beloved Luna, albeit in the afterlife(to those who took Cindy as their last picture, how dare you).  This song, and this scene, makes me so happy but also brings me so much sorrow, it really is bittersweet. While again I would have preferred an OST that is not from the actual game, I can't think of anything better with which to close this Final Fantasy XV journey.

4/5

Conclusion:

This mixtape has its faults, but it is a good one, with thought put into the songs to try and convey the feelings of each scenes/series of events. There are a few songs in there that I never knew (I should definitely check out Owari no Seraph), and taking this trip down FFXV memory did bring me quite a lot of feels. I enjoyed this mixtape quite a lot, and I made myself a new friend, hell yeah.

Edited by Kira_Uchiha
Missed a score

若々しい夏の日々

(Wakawakashi natsu no hibi) 

Youthful Summer Days

181ade4c89f0a742237e113fb1d8487d.jpg

This anime is about wasting away summer days in your youth. Summer break has just started and you spend late nights out with your friends, playing games at the arcade,  going out into the city looking for love, and pretty much giving zero cares. Maybe you experience a breakup and you spend some nights drinking the pain away. But you pick yourself back up and it's back to the beginning. At least, until school starts again.

@ghostalways commits to his mixtapes down to every detail, so I'm super glad we got paired up again because you never disappoint. For this slice of life anime I was given vaporwave and chillwave tunes, perfect because I've totally been into that a e s t h e t i c lately. I was sent a basic list of events that happen over a 10 episode run and I'll write my interpretation for each song based on that.

マクロスMACROSS 82-99 - Horsey (feat. Sarah Bonito)

L E T ' S G O . This song is full of youthful energy. I was surprised to see Sarah Bonito as the featured singer because I was going to include kero kero bonito in my playlist as the opening too! Her voice has that 'kawaii' sound and she alternates between fast talking in English and Japanese. The lyrics are about being free and damn I could almost feel like I'm free myself. A good track for escapism. 

Shigeto - First Saturn Return

A slow intro, it makes me feel like I'm waking up. The start of our mc's morning? A beautiful sunrise coming into the window. I feel like this could play whenever we see something magical like a sunset at the beach or fireworks.

Tokimonsta - Gamble

So dreamy, so chill. Long walks in the forest in a very hot day with a group of friends while trying to find things to do. Or maybe talking about nonsense with a can of cold soda in the streets. Hanging out at the local mall eating ice cream. It gives me Samurai Champloo vibes!

Charisma.com - Mr.BEER

This is when the mc realises he's getting a crush for someone in his friend group but he doesn't know how to approach it. So they're in that awkward stage of not knowing who's gonna make the first move. The vocals are really soothing. Are you ready? GO!!

In Love with a Ghost - let's walk across this forest, i can feel that every is real again

Our summer couple is getting to know each other in that innocent and awkward way. They spend more time together, maybe he shows her his favorite places in the neighbourhood. It's a soft simple tune with a steady beat, synth and piano that evoked a feeling of curiosity for me.

Submerse - Amber Park

This is the most magical track, lots of twinkles and sparkly sounds which make me imagine the first kiss in that summer night. I can see the city lights blurred in the background but the whole world doesn't exist anymore, it's only the couple. Pretty✨

マクロスMACROSS 82-99 - The Night In Tokyo Pt II

THIS IS MY FAVORITE TRACK. Seriously, this is amazing. I can forget the horrible winter blues I'm going through and just let myself fall into pure bliss with this track. I get a strong late 80's anime feel from this track. It's urban, bass-y... I lack the words to describe it. But I'm guessing our protagonist is at the peak of happiness after the first kiss with his crush. 

Snails House - Cosmic Love

I looove Snails House, their stuff makes me feel all kinds of emotions. The vocaloid singing is a bit annoying but it does go really well with everything else. I thought the last track was the peak of happiness, but this one is the peak. Sunny days, lots of smiles, adventures. There's nothing to care about. Could life be any better?

マクロスMACROSS 82-99 - Lovers (w_Beatpoems)

Different from the other ones, it's not as upbeat. Protagonist's relationship is in the rocks, but it isn't a depressing end. It feels more like 'well that's life and it sucks. I'm gonna allow myself to sulk a little bit'.

Submerse - Be Careful, It's Spooky Inside

This song isn't spooky as the title made me imagine, it's just an ambient track that follows the previous one well. The summer fling came to an end and Protagonist is dealing with it his own way. As @ghostsuggested, he's probably drinking his worries away.

Nujabes - Counting Stars

Good choice. Nujabes fits surprisingly well in the mix. More upbeat than the previous track, it's like careful optimism. Protagonist is moving on and things are starting to look up again. Just because he had a failed summer romance doesn't mean that his whole life is over. Let's try again. 

In Love with a Ghost - healing

Such a wholesome track. There's a crackle in the background like you get in old records and birds chirping too, it's a really nice combination. It's slightly bittersweet, so I guess we're getting over all those painful memories but realising the world has more to offer. Like, your friends are still there bro. Plenty of memories to be made yet. A gentle awakening.

Mariya Takeuchi - Plastic Love

This feels like a proper 80s anime ending. Brass, bass,electric guitar and that typical female vocalist. That little section with the piano at the end of the chorus (and before the short guitar solo) gives me GOOD VIBES. It basically summarises what this series is: slow paced, feelsy, old school goodness. Plastic Love? Something that wasn't real, right? Don't worry, she tells me. There's always next summer after all.

Thank you for the mix✨ I've had it on replay ever since you sent it to me. It's been perfect for my writing/drawing sessions and actually quite good for inspiration! I would love to see an anime with vaporwave aesthetics and I mean even down to the color palette. But anyway, your concept was very well executed and I'm glad you enjoyed my mix so much. Looking forward to the next one. 10/10 

My Sexual Harassment

(僕のセクシャルハラスメント )

BuNpXXj.jpg

Description (provided by @Triangle):

Spoiler

“Uhm, basically talks about how to climb up a company ladder with sexual favors. It's a three OVA story where the protagonist, Junya Mochizuki performs sexual favors in order to help his mentor and lover, Kazunori Honma, as well as himself, climb up the company ladder of the computer firm they work for. Mochizuki easily attracts the attention of both men and women in his company, the first of which is his boss, Mr. Honma, whom Mochizuki has an affair with throughout the anime. It involves a lot of random objects getting stuck in the butt and it gets kinda gross at one point but, the 90's porn aesthetic sort of saves it from turning into just hardcore gay porn. I choose this one because although I wasn't really a fan of it, I had the music for it (or so I think) and my fujoushi heart couldn't resist XD. The playlist I came up with has a getting some boom boom jiggidy jiggidy mood and some sexual domination and maybe handcuffs ahaha~.  I tried to bring out the "light a candle and throw some rose petals in the bed and let's get freaky with it" vibe and some songs are about dominating the partner in bed and all that XD. And also I wanted to keep the sensual porn vibe of it, not just the violent part.”

My partner for this Trade-Off was @Triangle.

Now I'm going to be honest here: Yaoi is something I avoid like the plague haha.

WIth that said, I turn down NO challenge in front of me.

This required a couple Friday nights, several beers, all while sitting butt naked at my desk keeping an open mind to this fandom.

Spoiler

1. BUCK-TICK – Climax Together

My first reaction reading that track title was “lol ohhh fuck” since I was at work, and I was expecting to hear some moans somewhere along the track haha. I said fugg it anyways. Very great warm up to what was to come for sure. From other tracks I’ve heard from them, the guitar play is very unique to BUCK-TICK. I love the roadhouse feel they bring with this track. Very rock-n-roll, with guitar riffs as comparative metaphor to the word “climax”, which they got right haha. I’ve played this dozens of times already, it’s damn addicting!

2. BUCK-TICK – Dress

Talk about a throwback to 2003 for me haha, this was very nice to hear once again in 2018. “Dress” was one of those songs that I fell in love with backwards. It was the lyrics that I became enamored with, before anything else. Accentuating a mysterious and sensual feel within my first listen, its lyrics where there is no answer other than describing what is felt, is what makes me awe.

After some beer: Maybe it’s just me, but when I listen to this song I feel as if I’ve been stripped naked, peacefully looking up to the night sky, and letting out an amorous sigh. I’m going to let those basslines do whatever they please.

3. Acid Black Cherry – Black Cherry

This playlist has been turned up to “alright lets fucking get started!” haha. I like to imagine that these tracks reflect the OVA in some way, and so when I listen to “Black Cherry” I’m thinking something heart-thumping, and tantalizing. Like a raunchy striptease where I’m being told “No no. Not yet!”.

4. MUCC – Joker

This track made me think of two things instantly. First thing I notice is that the guitarist is making love to that guitar. Secondly, this track could suggest that this OVA has it’s “I’m going to do what I want with you, and you’ll come crawling back for more, because you’ve never had a lover like me before” moments, doesn’t it? Lol.

Now a disclaimer:

As I've mentioned previously, I am not a KPOP fan. I see the names of the artists below and think, “……fuck” haha. It’s a long story, maybe for another time.

In any case, I am a fair man lol. For someone who has not listened to a KPOP track in YEARS, I’m going in blind.

How many Korean boy bands will I see? Let’s find out lol. It has been about a decade since I have fully listened to anything KPOP, so I’m going to try my best to enjoy the tracks.

5. EXO – Playboy

If it was not for the thousands of KPOP fan-girls translating this song, I would have been lost lol. The singing is spot on with “let’s keep playing around” and “this is what we both want” feel all over the track. Boy bands need to send that message of tension, and sexual frustration to their fan-base and they’re successful here.

6. 인피니트 – Inception

That melody is catchy as hell, fitting perfectly with the way the rest of the track flows. This track sounds very common to what other Korean boy-bands out there release, and this message has the same feeling as the previous track, but with a more respectful approach, which I enjoy. Could this OVA have characters that need to be approached more carefully and not be too forward? Interesting.

7. 태민 (TAEMIN) – Move

The singing differs from the KPOP boy bands from before. This style of singing is a lot more personal, almost like passionate striptease. Let's move to the music, eyes locked together, and letting nothing else get in the way. I like the choice of bass here, as it’s reminiscent of the nice porno music that’s out there haha. I’m actually curious as to what the original OST for this OVA sounds like.

8. Xiah Junsu – Intoxication

This one made me do a double take. This song had a damn good intro. There are good singers, and then there’s this. Love the title, as that is exactly what I’m experiencing here, his vocals are so smooth, sensual, and full of emotion, convincing the listener that he’s not fucking around with his love. It's weird because the lyrics are simple. Where can I get more of this? Lol.

9. 빅스(VIXX) - 사슬 (Chained Up)

This one was difficult to analyze, I’ll admit. Aside from the title of the track, I couldn’t feel much from the singers. While the beat was very exciting, provocative would be about the best description I could give it, leaving not much else for me to feel. It’s a catchy song nonetheless.

10. 동방신기– MIROTIC

Whoa, I remember this song! I remember looking up this word because I had no idea what the hell Mirotic meant. After a few drinks, the beat from this song is quite trancing, giving the impression that you are under this tracks spell. The transition between singers is flawless, and they follow along the flow quite well.

11. 준호 (Junho) - Instant Love

That reverberation throughout the track is a nice choice, followed by a screwed tempo, increasing the high of the music surrounding your ears. I can see this track being that close and personal jam for dancing at clubs. That deep bass is whoa. I actually forgot he was singing in Korean haha.

12. 2PM - 너만의 남자

When you place a song like this where there is a “no strings attached” approach sometime during the OVA, it makes me curious as to whether there’s going to be mad drama later on haha.

13. 태민 (TAEMIN) – Press Your Number

The first thing I think of (after listening to the previous tracks) is “is this a song about a booty-call?” haha. Translating the lyrics reveals a more in depth, and detailed explanation to why this person is being contacted, and I’m surprised to find out that I was wrong. It’s more of description of what it’s like to have love withdrawals after going their separate ways. What exactly happens in this OVA? Hmm.

14. MUCC - 堕落

We’ve slowed down the tempo drastically, bringing along a song that feels like a conversational piece. We recall all that’s occurred, reminiscing on the good times and the bad times, using the strum of those guitar strings and piano to give the vocalist the power to bestow a sense of regret with each stroke. I’ve always enjoyed this combo because it has an intensity that is unparalleled to any electronic equivalent, mostly because the feelings are real.

15. MUCC -  BILLY x 2 ~Entwines ROCK STARS~

Is this the Ending theme? Wowza. With such enthusiasm as the first track in this playlist, there’s a “lets fuck this shit up” aspect to this song, where we want to just live tonight with no feelings and no thoughts, and say “fuck the world” haha.

I want to thank you first of all @Triangle, as in the past I’ve always said that MUCC/BUCK-TICK we’re one of those bands that I regretfully didn’t give the time of day to listen to. With your choice of songs from them, you’ve forever changed my view on their influence in visual kei.

While I will continue to be apprehensive when it comes to KPOP of today, I’m still glad that I was capable of listening to your song selection and not have too much of a bias, focusing solely on the music chosen for the OVA. Thank you for keeping me up to date on what I’ve missed in the past few years.

I'll be happy to tell you that a number of these songs are growing on me, and if I were to go on a KPOP binge, I have you to thank haha.

This playlist was quite the experience, and so I'm keeping all of these tracks in circulation for a long time to come.

Thanks!

Spoiler
On 2/23/2018 at 4:37 PM, Triangle said:

Opening : Immi – WONDER

My kind of opening theme XD. I'm the type who loves opening songs more than endings and choosing this song as an opening theme makes my shallow ass want to actually dive into the rest of the anime. The "ta ta ta ta ra" parts are really catchy (found myself humming them quite often). It has more energy and cheerfulness than the rest of the songs but still fits the mellow vibe I get from this playlist. Like it's uplifting but not the extreme where it seems like a different story. It's more of a "hey a story is about to begin so I'm here to catch your attention" and I'm totally here with all my senses.

Plays during Kin’s Dreams : Yeule – I Miss You This Much

Listening to this song gave me a "OH I SEE WHAT YOU DID WITH THIS" moment XD. And also having a label for each song made it easier for me to fit them in each moment of the anime. But nevertheless this playlist was damn well thought so I give you mad props for this. It ain't really my cup of tea but I won't say no to this "I'm having a dream and I'm floating" vibe the song gives me. Like I can picture Kin's entire dream experience and can guess the setting of it and what happens.

Unexplicable Tears Every Morning : The Cure – Boys Don’t Cry

I mean it's The Cure guise XD. I love this whole post-punk late 70's vibe we got on here for this anime. Kin wakes up every time with tears in his eyes, doesn't know why but he wants to see that silhouette, longs to touch it and all that. The lyrics sort of match the vibe of the moment (longing for someone lost). And yeah, boys do cry ya'll XD.

We meet at last… : MONDO GROSSO - 惑星タントラ

So Kin is getting some IRL now. And this is his love song. "Boy meets love" damn straight he does! The music is so calm and chill and I think it fits the character's mood too (I feel like he is this chill and slightly mellow guy). I'm so rooting for him in his finding love quest he has here. The song makes me get into this cheerful, happy mood while still keeping me ground leveled and chill.

This is Different … : La’cryma Christi – THE SCENT

But wait, the silhouette in his dreams keeps fading away Dun dun duun! So this is kinda where he gets a little triggered and starts doubting himself and what he feels. Is he really happy or is this just in his head? He feels all kinds of connections with his love interest but is that true? (goddamn it Kin, please). And also this experience makes it hard for him to wake up. The song is like those parts where the couple drive to the beach together and they crack watermelons and eat popsicles and then enjoy a lovely sunset while hugging each other in the sand (don't touch me I am not crying). But for Kin something still feels kinda off but he can't really pin point what. Love the warm vocals of the song the 90's v-key style that I love listening to from time to time. And the song didn't make me cry, ok?

She’s the One : Base Ball Bear – YOU’RE MY SUNSHINE のすべて

BOY IS COMPLETELY LOVESICK ! He can't stop thinking about her, they click in real life, everything is going on smoothly. The tears have stopped, the dreams aren't happening either. Kin probably thinks that it's because he's met this wonderful human being, he probably thinks she is his soulmate and that's what cured him from his dark days. These are the overall feelings I have listening to this song in this context. This song is a love song and brings out the happy mood with the positive energy coming from the melody and the cute lyrics.

In Kin’s Own Head : Hydeout Productions – Luv(Sic) featuring Shing02

This song matches so well with everything going on, even the lyrics fit in nicely. Kin is like "I love her so damn much" and "is she the one?" But along with the cute love feelings he feels, he slowly is realizing and having weird thoughts. "What was the dream trying to tell me? Why is it slowly disappearing and why do I feel sick all of a sudden?". This song makes me picture the whole scene as a combination of any Gorillaz music video and rap music videos from the 90's about the street life. A pure love that he wish he could continue for the rest of his life. He wishes love could heal him forever. It's such a cute love song and I actually had tears in my eyes while listening to it. This song made me emotionally attached to Kin and I wish someone would help him already e deserves happiness ;A; .

Time to Choose… : Pierce the Veil – Falling Asleep on a Stranger

Kin has come to term with him slowly dying and knows that he might up falling more and more in love, tears and silhouette disappearing in his dreams as a result, and never waking up. But he doesn't know what to do. And literally that's what pisses  me off. Come on, isn't there any cure for this boy here please? ;A; It's that one scene where everything seems to be going wrong and the character is having cold feet or is going through some kind of emotional roller coaster that he cannot seem to be able to escape. And the song fits the mood nicely, in my opinion it boasts the whole atmosphere up and I can feel the tension with every beat.

Ending 1 : Plastic Tree - 時間坂

This first ending gave me all kinds of anxiety to be honest. I don't know if the main character chose to die or something good happened to him? I guess it fits the whole ambiguous "think fo' yo'self" mood of the anime. It gave me room for interpretation and I think that Kin is probably having a very hard time fighting with himself. I gotta say I love the melody and my heart already was won by that bass (I am all about that bass XD) and Ryutaro's soft mellow voice brings out the mellow feelings of the anime while making me anxious. I imagine Kin being in this state where his soul is literally floating in the air and nothing goes through his mind.

Ending 2 : HYDE – Shallow Sleep

I can't deal with this song at all. I'm trying to avoid it so much but it comes back at me. It's so damn sweet and sad and it makes me cry way too much. Hyde is unfair for making songs like this (hold on I'm calling the police). So let me get this straight : is Kin trying to make a promise with his love that he will eventually wake up from this deep sleep and they will meet again or what? Is she accepting this ? He definitely is having an internal battle, a rather peaceful one, I don't know if he's going to wake up or not in the end. But I guess it doesn't even matter anymore. You can make up your own ending.

Anime Ending : Do As Infinity – Sense of Life

How you going to choose a DAI song for an ending theme? Do you want me to suffer more or what??? Just when I thought I could cope with the sadness and move on, the ending theme feels like there is still hope for A SENSE OF LIFE. Either a new life is happening or the long lost one is being upgraded to a new fresh level. Either way it seems like there is still hope and the morning sun will bring a new beginning and light into the dark state the soul is in.

I have to reply to the sheer marvel of a review that you left me @Triangle.

Your take on this review is simply out of my comprehension.

How you managed to make my anime your own, providing details that I actually left out originally to keep the mystery of this anime intact, is unbelievable.

I actually happily grinned reading a ton of this, and was shaking my head in disbelief thinking "just who in the hell did I get paired up with...." lol

You filled in your reactions, your opinions, and provided anyone reading along an insight to what the main character was going through.

I'm wowed if anything. You basically filled in the things I ran out of time to include.

If I ever get contacted in the future to make this anime a reality, you're gonna be the first person I look for in order to help me haha.

What were the tears and the silhouette in his dreams representing?

What happens to Kin if he allows the silhouette in his dreams to disappear completely?

What happens to Kin if he chooses to let his love go? 

Your interpretations to these questions get an applause from me.

I'll happily answer some questions to those who might be wondering, as I feel you've earned that right.

Spoiler

What were the tears and silhouette in his dreams representing?

The silhouette in his dreams represent the person who has been long forgotten, himself. It still exists in his dreams, and so there is still hope to the hopeless.

To Kin, every day bleeds together since he's lost his identity to the world, and struggling every night to attain that old self because he feels it will answer everything, causes him to cry because he knows the feeling of living cold and empty is too much to handle consciously.

Notes:

I tried my best to provide hints with my song selection, but basically he's experiencing things that he never has. Love, regret, fear, and anxiety.

The answer we know is that he will die in his sleep, and the answer we don't have (and Kin wishes he did) is whether or not he will wake up again.

It's that fear of death or never seeing her again that causes him anxiety. Is dying the price he pays for experiencing such a happiness?

It's the regret of choosing to let her go in order to save the little ounce of himself; in essence making him a coward, to which he is mentally suffering for.

Boy meets love, and not his silhouette, something even he can't deny has happened right in front of him. This feeling of love, having such a strength that makes him not only forget that fake reality, but have a taste of this actual reality , providing the courage he needs to let everything go.

Is it real?

What happens to Kin if he allows the silhouette to disappear completely?

This answer is unknown to Kin in the anime until he makes this decision, but ultimately what can happen is that he will acknowledge that holding on to a past that is no longer a part of him, and letting it fade away (really, its himself doing all of this), is the answer. It will be a choice worth dying for (he will gain courage and salvation), as he has never lived like he has now. 

There are a ton of interpretations to this, as there is a sense of "cold feet" and "trusting someone with your life" to this moment. Kin is terrified of the unknown, and would rather stay where he is (becoming a coward) than go through death. By choosing to let the one thing he can trust (his love) go, he will become something he could only imagine in his dreams, a failure.

So let me get this straight : is Kin trying to make a promise with his love that he will eventually wake up from this deep sleep and they will meet again or what? Is she accepting this ? He definitely is having an internal battle, a rather peaceful one, I don't know if he's going to wake up or not in the end. But I guess it doesn't even matter anymore. You can make up your own ending.

Just when I thought I could cope with the sadness and move on, the ending theme feels like there is still hope for A SENSE OF LIFE. Either a new life is happening or the long lost one is being upgraded to a new fresh level.

I feel like I owe you a true answer to what will happen out of Lucid Love, but unfortunately, I ran out of "oomph" at the end of this, so even the end is a mystery to me. 

Had this anime idea not just been a dream.......

I'd like to think that Kin found the answer to this battle within himself, and these outcomes you have thought of are great possibilites!

Maybe one day that dream will return, and I'll have the answer.

14 hours ago, YuyoDrift said:

I have to reply to the sheer marvel of a review that you left me @Triangle.

Your take on this review is simply out of my comprehension.

How you managed to make my anime your own, providing details that I actually left out originally to keep the mystery of this anime intact, is unbelievable.

I actually happily grinned reading a ton of this, and was shaking my head in disbelief thinking "just who in the hell did I get paired up with...." lol

You filled in your reactions, your opinions, and provided anyone reading along an insight to what the main character was going through.

I'm wowed if anything. You basically filled in the things I ran out of time to include.

If I ever get contacted in the future to make this anime a reality, you're gonna be the first person I look for in order to help me haha.

What were the tears and the silhouette in his dreams representing?

What happens to Kin if he allows the silhouette in his dreams to disappear completely?

Your interpretations to these questions get an applause from me.

I'll happily answer some questions to those who might be wondering, as I feel you've earned that right.

Reveal hidden contents

What were the tears and silhouette in his dreams representing?

The silhouette in his dreams represent the person who has been long forgotten, himself. It still exists in his dreams, and so there is still hope to the hopeless.

To Kin, every day bleeds together since he's lost his identity to the world, and struggling every night to attain that old self because he feels it will answer everything, causes him to cry because he knows the feeling of living cold and empty is too much to handle consciously.

Notes:

I tried my best to provide hints with my song selection, but basically he's experiencing things that he never has. Love, regret, fear, and anxiety.

The answer we know is that he will die in his sleep, and the answer we don't have (and Kin wishes he did) is whether or not he will wake up again.

It's that fear of death or never seeing her again that causes him anxiety. Is dying the price he pays for experiencing such a happiness?

It's the regret of choosing to let her go in order to save the little ounce of himself; in essence making him a coward, to which he is mentally suffering for.

Boy meets love, and not his silhouette, something even he can't deny has happened right in front of him. This feeling of love, having such a strength that makes him not only forget that fake reality, but have a taste of this actual reality , providing the courage he needs to let everything go.

Is it real?

What happens to Kin if he allows the silhouette to disappear completely?

This answer is unknown to Kin in the anime until he makes this decision, but ultimately what can happen is that he will acknowledge that holding on to a past that is no longer a part of him, and letting it fade away (really, its himself doing all of this), is the answer. It will be a choice worth dying for (he will gain courage and salvation), as he has never lived like he has now. 

There are a ton of interpretations to this, as there is a sense of "cold feet" and "trusting someone with your life" to this moment. Kin is terrified of the unknown, and would rather stay where he is (becoming a coward) than go through death. By choosing to let the one thing he can trust (his love) go, he will become something he could only imagine in his dreams, a failure.

I feel like I owe you a true answer to what will happen out of Lucid Love, but unfortunately, I ran out of "oomph" at the end of this, so even the end is a mystery to me. 

Had this anime idea not just been a dream.......

I'd like to think that Kin found the answer to this battle within himself, and these outcomes you have thought of are great possibilites!

Maybe one day that dream will return, and I'll have the answer.

Well my minor isn't English and American Literature for nothing. I had to learn to make up things to save my grades (honestly talking I failed like 4 times an exam but that's because our prof sucked XD). Anyway! Thank you for your compliments, even though all I did was yell behind the keyboards and cry XD (I need to email this to all my Literature professors) . I also watch k-dramas XD. 

It sounds like a nice theme for an anime, totally new and could make you look into psychology and see if there is any syndrome that would match this. It challenges my imagination and I'm here for it 🌸

Also you figured out what was going on with my mix too so, I guess we're just awesome sauces slaying life 👏👏👏

Edited by Triangle

My partner for this mix, "May you Never Forget Me" was @plastic_rainbow and the mix is a soundtrack for the manga "Goodnight Punpun". I have never heard or read of this manga, and my original plan was to binge it before getting the review in. Life happened, and after a few listens I felt like I didn't need to anymore. plastic gives me a very good summary and this mix is the interpretation of the themes of the manga.

Genre: Drama, Slice of life, Psychological, Seinen

Synopsis:  Punpun Onodera is a normal 11-year-old boy living in Japan. Hopelessly idealistic and romantic, Punpun begins to see his life take a subtle—though nonetheless startling—turn to the adult when he meets the new girl in his class, Aiko Tanaka. It is then that the quiet boy learns just how fickle maintaining a relationship can be, and the surmounting difficulties of transitioning from a naïve boyhood to a convoluted adulthood. When his father assaults his mother one night, Punpun realizes another thing: those whom he looked up to were not as impressive as he once thought. As his problems increase, Punpun's once shy demeanor turns into voluntary reclusiveness. Rather than curing him of his problems and conflicting emotions, this merely intensifies them, sending him down the dark path of maturity in this grim coming-of-age saga. (MAL)

Intent: I created this soundtrack mostly based on the mood and feel of the songs, and not so much lyrically, that I felt would express Punpun's brief innocence as a child and, for the most part, his harrowing journey to adulthood through a feeble love relationship, self-doubts, and depression. The mix is exactly that of a soundtrack, with mostly ambient tracks and a number of piano instrumentals that express different moods.

Before I go track by track into this mix, I wanted to break down the structure of this mixtape. Structure is something that's become more important to me the more I engage in these Trade-Offs, and @CAT5 bent the rules for the mixtape structure for this event, so it's a good idea to talk about it. The rule of having more than one artist on the mix allows for a lot more freedom and creativity - I didn't take advantage of that rule because it was too much freedom for me - but the downside is that one artist can begin to "dominate" the feel of the mix. It all then becomes a matter of liking or disliking the artist, because if two artists take up half a mix and I'm not into either it could really harm the point I'm supposed to get out of it. Does this affect "May you Never Forget Me"? Read on and find out!

DkicY9s.jpg

1. COLD KITCHEN - 憂鬱な羊達 (OP)
The lone slice of cold chicken strays the closest to rock along with THE NOVEMBERS. 憂鬱な羊達 paints cold white and grey skys and the compelling but also depressing melodies does a good job at setting the mood. It's a good mix of catchy but also forlorn and somber, Most of all, I can see a minute and a half cut of this song working very well as an anime opener for "Goodnight Punpun". This might be one of my favorite tracks of the mix.

2. 小西香葉、近藤由紀夫 - 花容

This is where the anime starts thematically, but this is a 51 second piano interlude from Elfen Lied. I've heard of Elfen Lied but never checked it out, so I have no attachment to it otherwise. This is best taken as an opening for the next track.

3. Takashi KAKO - Communication

The Elfen Lied intro moves into this track seamlessly, and "Communication" is an instrumental piano ballad that slows the mix down from the energetic opening. KAKO sets the musical theme for the rest of the mix tape, which is many flavors of post-rock. The piano is the main focus here, and explores some interesting ideas and patterns that I would vaguely associate with the feeling of fleeting love, but no climax makes the song pretty but forgettable. I could see this used as background music for various scenes of the anime. As an active listening piece, Communication is a bit difficult to sit through.

4. THE NOVEMBERS - 彼岸で散る青

I can always count on THE NOVEMBERS to deliver an average experience at worst. This is from one of their older materials, To (melt into), back when this band still had some bite to them. If the last track was puppy love, this is the snap back into reality, home troubles, and the difficulties of a first relationship showing up. It keeps the depressing mood of the opener while also being more raw. 彼岸で散る青 roughly translates to "Blue falling on the shore", which has me imagining the MC thinking about life while looking out to the sea. Could this be the end of a first relationship and hormonal teenage angst?

5. world's end girlfriend - 少し早足になって

world's end girlfriend is one of the few post rock bands that I cannot get into. I stumbled across them near the end of my most recent post rock binge and my tastes started to lean towards the more complex and heavier side of the genre. In comparison, WEG's compositions sound superficially pretty with no direction or climax to it. In many ways, I have the same complaints about this track as I do about "Communication", but I think that "少し早足になって" does the feeling of love a bit better. If it were to link back to the manga, this would be a moment where the MC is older, wiser, and ready to try love again. This song gives me a message of "it's okay to try again" and it sounds very white and optimistic, brighter than the tracks before it.

6. Cokiyu - Textured Clouds

The melancholy picks up where "少し早足になって" left off. The piano is replaced with various pulsating noises that numb the mind and remind me of a bleak day. "Textured Clouds" is a very easy track to get lost in. Depression can feel at its worst when it strikes after you think things are finally better. This whole track oozes a type of despair that happens when you get really bad news that you feel in your gut, like if your parent died or if your close friend got raped. It may be minimalistic but cokiyu does a good job at keeping my attention.

7. múm - Now there's that fear again

"Now there's that fear again" sounds like a religious experience, or that feeling that sets in on a dark, wet, and lonely night. It's the kind of song where I want everything to be quiet so I can bask in the atmosphere. The synth organ gives the song a solemn vibe and it goes well with the hushed vocals. The way the middle cuts out all the instruments but the bass entirely as it plays the first melody before transitioning into the second melody has to be my favorite part of the mix. Reminds me of some of Mutyumu's early material, and that's a really good thing!

8. Takashi KAKO - Un Pressentiment

The rule for having more than one artist works to plastic's favor here, because the piano melody for "Un Pressentiment" is much more memorable than the last one. Multiple listens have improved my opinion of this artist in a way one of these tracks could not. I think its because of the tempo and delivery. There's this rushed feeling behind the music like something important isn't complete on time. I could see this reflecting general life pressures and the need to always impress and deliver bigger and larger accomplishments as we get older. I see how this is stressful for someone that things never go right for. The song does the cardinal sin of fading out before establishing a clean ending, leaving the song feeling unfinished, but the mix isn't over yet so it's not as bad as it could be.

9. MONO - The Hand That Holds the Truth

MONO was one of the bands responsible for introducing post rock to me. I used to love them and I haven't for three years. This track (and any track of theirs really) is the perfect example why - it overstays its welcome, it is built like every other one of their songs, and it takes too long to get started. The first minute and a half of this track is just sound effects that don't do anything, and then the song builds up slowly over three or four more minutes, and then it cuts out again before it comes back enveloped in noise and harsh vocals that's supposed to emotionally resonate with me but doesn't because they've worn this trick out so much for over nine years that it'd be more surprising if the song didn't crescendo into something meaningful after six minutes of foreplay. The screams are the only thing that separates "The Hand that Holds The Truth" from every other MONO track, and gives it some flavor and identity. Everything before five minutes is snoozeville. As far as the mix goes, it fits, and I guess our MC is in his mid 20's dealing with the harsh realities of adulthood and feeling lost and overwhelmed.

10. envy - Unrepairable Gentleness

Like the last minute of the MONO track above but infinitely more enjoyable. envy has always been one of those bands that I want to get into but they haven't clicked for me, but when I'm in the right mood their music is satisfying. The way "Unrepairable Gentleness" picks up the idea MONO only toyed with and turn it into a dynamic and textured eight minute epic is impressive, especially since all they did was take the song structure from above and essentially play it in reverse. This track is the point where events happen to solidify our MC's world view. This song feels like someone is trapped in misery, desperately trying to block out the outside world before they snap and everything stops long enough for them to get their act together.

11. múm - The Land Between Solar Systems

Tender and fragile is the way I would describe how this song starts. Sound effects and the lonely accordion accompany soft, breathy female vocals and hums that float along a stormy atmosphere. It gives off opposite vibes of safety and danger, as if our MC is slowly losing his mind. At first listen, "The land between solar systems" sounds repetitive in a bad way, but it wasn't until the noise dropped out that I realized that it was steadily growing and fleshing the track out as it lead me deeper and deeper in. I was totally lost in it. It's the second time this mix where I feel a semi-religious experience coming on. I felt that some of the songs on this mix were too long, but "The Land Between Solar Systems" is worthy of all 11 minutes of listening.

12. world's end girlfriend - LAST BLINK

We swerve back to world's end girlfriend to set the tone for the end of the mix and the end of the anime, so they have two more chances to really impress me. LAST BLINK starts out way more interesting than I would have admitted, with the mix of piano keys and glitch noises commanding my attention as more noises and instruments are subtly weaved in. Unlike the last stretch of tracks, I see a brilliant flash of light approaching before the world slowly comes into focus for one last time before slowly fading out into black, as if someone's watching themselves through the eyes of someone else hanging from the ceiling. Weird shit, right? I'm guessing that this means the end of an era before yet another phase of life begins.

13. world's end girlfriend - in Silence / in Siren (ED)

The last track also functions as the ending song, and has some vocals! This is a surprise to me, since I never expected world's end girlfriend to have vocals after the first two instrumental tracks. I can see how this would be a fitting ending for a seinen about adolescence and adulthood, but it also helps to lighten the mood after the dark and stormy events. These last two WEG tracks have done a lot to improve my opinion of this artist. Perhaps I'll check them out soon.

+++

Overall, this mix was a good, if slightly depressing, take on boyhood, growing up, and dealing with the shitty hand life gives us. TBH, the reason why it took me so long to review this is because in a lot of ways it reminds me of my experiences growing up and the neverending melancholy that envelops this mix is a powerful reminder of how bad things could always be. It's very cohesive and flows a lot, so I know plastic_rainbow put a lot of time into the theme and order of the tracks. The only thing I can complain about is the length at almost 70 minutes! - but my mix isn't much better. "May you never forget me" was tagged as psychological, but that was the only element that didn't come across too much through the mix. I would like to know what tracks were supposed to give off that feeling and what about the original manga had psychological thriller elements to it. Most of all, this mix is a good introduction to Japanese post-rock for those looking for a way in because all of the artists featured are Japanese.

Finally, fate brought @CAT5and my own playlists together after years of being mistreated! 

His interpretation of the theme is quite an interesting one. I found myself really immersed and picturing the events clearly before me.

I also think we were quite on the same waveline with our thoughts regarding this, anyhow, we will see about that once you give some comments.

「武蔵の伝説」

-Musashi no densetsu-

The Legend of Musashi

C5LRtid.png

Type: OVA

Episodes: 4

Aired: February 20, 2018

Producers: Studio MH

Licensors: CAT5 Filmworks

Studios: Madhouse

Genres: Seinen, Action, Drama, Historical, Fantasy

Plot:

A fictional account of Miyamoto Musashi.

A young orphan, given the name Takeshi, was taken in by the owner of a dojo and there he was brought up in the way of the sword. Takeshi quickly displayed an almost god-like aptitude for the sword, but unfortunately, his skills far exceeded his wisdom and he grew arrogant. In a prideful fit of anger, he (unintentionally) slew his loving master simply to avoid losing an exhibition match. Before he could even realize what he'd done, he was attacked by all of his fellow students as they sought revenge for the death of their master. Musashi reluctantly slew them in self-defense. Having committed such an atrocity - killing his master who was like a father to him, and massacring all of his friends and loved ones, Takeshi fled into the wilderness completely distraught. There he changed his name to Musashi and in order to atone for his grievous sins, he took an oath and vowed to never take another life again. He dedicated his life to mastering the sword - so much so that he could defeat any opponent without killing them.

20 years later, Musashi has become a famous teacher throughout the Japanese countryside - completely undefeated, and without killing a single soul, he's transformed every new opponent into a new student, follower, and friend. With his past still fresh in his mind, his resolve to serve others and use his skills for good has remained strong. However, things change when seemingly overnight, Japan's relative peace is shattered, overrun by the power-hungry warlord Nobunaga Oda, dubbed "The Demon King". As oppression rises and Nobunaga's iron grip on the country grows stronger, Musashi is reluctantly convinced by his new followers to lead a rebellion to end the tyranny. After devising a brilliant strategy to infiltrate The Demon King's fortress, Musashi leads a successful rebellion without killing a single soul - adhering strictly to his moral code. However, Nobunaga escapes imprisonment with the help of his loyal retainers and exacts his revenge, killing each one of Musashi's followers.

Once again, Musashi finds himself responsible for the deaths of his friends and loved ones. Caught between keeping the oath of his youth and avenging the deaths of his new friends, Musashi finds himself at a moral injunction. How can he seek justice in this world while obtaining justice for his own soul? Will he allow his blade to taste blood again?

My intent:

I wanted to make a "serious" anime, one that's very action-oriented, but also insightful and poses some philosophical questions along the way. However, I also wanted the soundtrack to have a "hip" or "cool" quality to it - something that could be appreciated both within the anime's context and outside of it. So the approach I took with the OST was basically something mostly retro and groovy that's somewhat loosely tied together with a string of psychedelia. I basically just thought it would be pretty bad-ass and something a bit different from your run-of-the-mill anime these days. Think something like "ninja scroll", but with a bit more interpersonal drama, introspection, and a much more prominent  soundtrack!

In the tracklist, you'll find that I added my own "titles" in 「」...You can use these as guides to kind of see what I was thinking about with each track and how they might fit into the plot. Some are more straightforward than others, but feel to let your imagination run wild! I'm curious to see how you'll interpret everything.

Spoiler

「OP」

01. Eternal Elysium - Ingah 
What better than to set the mood for an anime set in the rich cultural and blood-soaked history of feudal Japan? I am surprised by how incredibly simple it is to imagine an opening video for this particular title with this track purring forward in progression, leaving me with some sort of impression of a very traditional series of drawings, mostly consisting of painted brush strokes you would often relate to how merchants, samurai, or other individuals in that particular existence in time would relay their messages on scrolls and bamboo-made paper. I can see Musashi in still images, coloured very much alike the cover art in taupe and earthly tints, advancing from his troubled youth toward the honourable man he has become in a relay of pictures telling me his story very clearly. The more I listen to this, the more certainly I see the purpose of this work, and the majorly delicious fuzz and little things like the meticulously and superbly well placed volume level of the vocal layers are making it a very smooth experience that lasts nowhere near to six minutes in my own mind. Something that is often fitting for anime openings are the exchanges between Japanese and English lyrics, and while I am uncertain whether or not this has been a specific choice, it is something that I have to mention here, as it is evenly and well-placed in the song and makes for an interesting event. Undoubtedly I will ask for the discography of this artist, as I am enjoying them very much, moreso than I thought I would when I looked over the stoner-and doom tags. The buzz of guitars are most fabulous, and while the drumming does not particularly stand out, its simpleness is what makes for a very complete piece of musical art. The opening animation might as well last for this entire amount and I likely wouldn't be inclined to skip through it (like I usually would with the majority of anime introductions), yet pick any sixty seconds of this prelude and it would also work conveniently well with a possible opener. 

「Legend of Musashi」

02. 三上寛 - 馬鹿ぶし
The legend of Musashi is written over an acoustic piece laden with traditional Japanese instruments, filled to the brim with the history and folkore about this man told from generation upon generation – its chronicles speak of sadness and tragedy, mostly as this very much resembles a lament narrated by someone — perhaps unknowingly related to our protagonist — who recorded the events of Musashi's epic, decades later; this man now sits in a town's square with around him gathered a small crowd of travellers and native folks, delivering the tales of our hero to any ear willing to embark on a momentary adventure accompanied by sitar, flute and a small drum. I feel that this must definitely be a moment that happens in the present, or at least in a time that occurs long after our samurai has passed on, a sort of pre-told synopsis from whereon we will now be heading back into the past where the story starts, and comes alive.

「Oppression」

03. Osamu Kitajima - Masterless Samurai
With the title of this track, it appears as if the entire tracklist might be based around this idea of a 'masterless samurai', as Musashi is now slaying the members of his dojo one by one, thus becoming a samurai without instructor, a rōnin whose fated road turns into a slippery slope of shame and resentfulness against his own deeds. A bittersweet tinge of dishonour and misplaced anger lies in the center of this piece, it is in a way quite mysterious and attempts a foretelling at our hero's future. Ironically, rōnin often had their fortune told by spiritualists as their destiny was unclear and not laid out ahead of them too brightly, and perhaps our wanderer glimpses a hint of his consequences in the midst of this disastrous fight. Very much staying honest to the origins of soundtrack, this is entirely instrumental and once again features a myriad of acoustic, conservative instruments, yet interwoven between are the early sounds of a rock organ that eventually sets itself apart in a timely solo, making this a much more psychedelic item as was promised in the description of the anime. 

「Samurai Showdown」

04. Goat - Hide From The Sun
To my surprise I find that this group hails from Sweden, it is slightly confusing as their approach toward psychedelic folk-rock sounds so very Japanese (and of course this is exactly why this song has been placed in this mix, but don't mind me saying it). The psychedelic, somewhat unsettling mood set in the previous track continues and is seemlessly picked up by Goat, and to me it appears as if our Musashi is fighting off the last of his former dojo's apprentices before he flees off into the wilderness to not be seen again for the next two decades. The track speaks in a very self-explanatory way, where I would not have to dig too deep to understand its intention; we are on the run and are going in hiding, and we are stumbling over a variety of menaces and unforeseen developments. A build-up is not necessary as 'Hide From The Sun' immediately hands you its clear meaning when correlating it to the anime — I especially love the sitar lines, they sound ominous and inauspicious, as if there is no telling what Musashi is to encounter next and how he will survive the dangers of loneliness and despair. 

「Invincible Hero」

05. 寺内タケシとブルージーンズ - 奴さん
I am not too taken aback that it took a couple of days until after the designated delivery date that I received this mixtape, as it is just put so faithfully well together. The conviction with how this soundtrack conveys its spirit to the listener proves that just about anyone with enough imagination and fantasy can put something together that is authentic and real. This is a track that oozes 'surf rock' — with its tremolo picking, quick strums and heavy vibatro — , but it captures the credibility of that traditional Japanese essence nonetheless and urges our hero Musashi to stay on the righteous path with its uplifting and motivational vigor. It sounds upbeat, a good contrast against the previous tracks that were ample with sorrow and the desperation with which the rōnin travelled through dense forests and barren wastes, watchful of various ambuscades or groups of mercenaries that might have caught wind of a possible bounty placed on Musashi's head.

「Fall of the Demon King」

06. J・A・シーザー - こどもぼさつ
'こどもぼさつ' is a rather short cut depicting the event of capturing Nobunaga Oda, the 'Demon King'. It is lead by a children's choir of some sort and in this case sings of the alleged fall of one of the most feared daimyō in Japanese history. The instrumental vision here is minimal yet enough to conduct what is necessary in storytelling; the children stand out most, however there are several layers of instruments to be discovered when attempting to zone out of the vocalists' circle. I am almost ashamed to say that my speakers are not quite what they used to be and therefore they likely cannot quite uncover all the several films here, and that if I were to listen to this with acceptable headphones that I would find a lot more hidden underneath. Yet the beauty of it shines through nonetheless, a beauty that is sorrowful, in a way – as if we are meant to show compassion for Nobunaga, as if this segment gives the listener (or spectator, if one's imagination runs wild enough) a chance to choose between the protagonist and the antagonist, or as if we are uncertain whether the roles of revolutionary warrior versus bloodthirsty warlord are now reversed or not. 

「A new Day」

07. Minoru Muraoka - The House Of The Rising Sun
Take one of the most memorable and acclaimed songs of an early history of rock and blues, covered a million times over until it became unclear who exactly had written it and where it originated, and give it an oriental twist. New life had been breathed into 'The House Of The Rising Sun' with Minoru Muraoka's psychedelic folk version, supported by heavy fuzz and more of that delightful rock organ's sound in the vein of Deep Purple, with him leading the track on the shakuhachi, a traditional Japanese bamboo flute. This instrument is a great tool when linking it to the anime's setting as especially in the Edo period this flute was of a great importance as a spiritual and meditative item. I can imagine Musashi watching the sunrise on the day after Nobunaga Oda's capture and contemplating his victory which he had perhaps executed a tad too easily. He is not yet aware of this subconscious thought of doubt lingering somewhere in the back of his mind, and celebrates his achievements with his students and followers over the coming week or so. 

「Fleeting happiness」

08. 井手健介と母船 - 幽霊の集会
This song is foretelling the upcoming incident that is about to occur, setting somewhat of a lazy and laidback mood that signifies that Musashi is currently not quite aware of the plot that the Demon King's surviving advocates are brewing up. Perhaps his once dormant arrogance has yet again been awoken and is getting the better of him, this time? Life goes on as normal for but a fleeting moment, background developments completely unbeknownst to our hero and his clan. This was the only track in the mix for which I did not really feel anything, unfortunately. It stands out in the way that it does not stand out, if you know what I mean. 

「Demon King Reborn」

09. J・A・シーザー - 和讃
Pure chaos ensues for the first time in the soundtrack, as this is about as haunting and perilous as folk can possibly sound. The female vocalizations that are committed on this track are quite honestly one of the few feminine voices that I can bear to sit through as they are not high-pitched, entirely dissimilar to the style modern Japanese singers frequently use (not too startling, seeing as this hails from 1974). Just as in J・A・シーザー's previous entry in this list, the eerie and creepy children's choir has returned, giving this an almost strangely supernatural vibe — not unnatural, as Nobunaga Oda was truly seen as if he were a demon risen from hell with an intention to conquer the entirety of Japan (and perhaps even one or multiple of the many lands beyond). I simply love how truly heavy this sounds for a mid-70's track, powered by the big guitar muffs and the verocious force used to unrelentingly beat upon these drums, disastrous yelling and overall sensation of anguish that once again arises with the menacing Demon King's newfound fury. He will now seek new strength to utilise, until he can realise his revenge against our hero Musashi.

「Thriving Wickedness」

10. 中学生棺桶 - 色は紫
This is somewhat reminding me of the way Nobunaga Oda is portayed in the manga and anime Drifters, with a wicked sense of humour based off of his sheer psychopathic appetite for war and peril. Disorganised and turbulent, this is a tight fit for the Demon King's subsequent madness that washes over Musashi's unsuspecting camp, colouring it red with the hot blood of a thousand samurai perishing under the sharpness of his hellish blade. I could almost imagine him humming this track under his breath, in a similar way to the track's rough vocals, as he slices his way through guts and gore as we are momentarily seeing this from his perspective. 

「Return of the Legend」

11. 中山ラビ -  太陽
Hearing the first notes immediately make me aware of how our saviour is appearing on the scene — filled with confidence and near already triumphant which is evident in his strut toward the battlefield. This just sounds too reminiscent of his younger self; arrogant and almost pretentious, too convinced by his own swordmanship and with a sleek attitude that captures Nobunaga off-guard. Both know that this is the final showdown, and only one of them will emerge out of this battle victorious. I am quite pleased by the female singer, moreso because she narrates the song rather than sings over it (of which you are quite aware I am not too fond), as if she is in fact disclosing to us the final efforts of the vibrant tale of Musashi. There runs a typical classic rock lead guitar throughout accompanied by a dark jazzy bassline, excellent in following the storyline's primary setting, buoyant and encouraging us to stick around for the last conclusion of the series. 

「The final battle」

12. Eternal Elysium - The Spiral Conclusion
We have arrived at the suspenseful peak of the action toward which this wholesome story has been growing — Musashi versus Nobunaga. There is so much fleshy and cumbersome build-up in this track that I am given the impression that we are being the spectators of a true and classic stand-off; two master samurai intensely circling each other and desiring to conclude the fight with one swift strike of the sword at the exact right moment. A magnificent performance by a group that only needed two tracks to convince me of my sudden love for them. Harrowingly slow and excruciatingly patient, our brave protagonist and diabolical antagonist keep their thirsty katana levelled and ready, awaiting a moment of weakness, anticipating a change in their surroundings that might give warning to the delivery of the final blow caused by an abrupt instant of distraction. The tension grows tremendously until the very last seconds in both the song and our rōnin's dramatic tale, and only one can be deemed the champion...

「Bittersweet Victory」

13. クニ河内とかれのともだち - おまえの世界へ……
Our story ends on a melancholous note. The gloom of the Flower Travellin' Band combined with Kuni Kawachi's progressive but saddening sound set the final lasting tone in stone; and we feel cold, beaten and alone. Bittersweet, indeed, for what has he gained? Masterless, companionless, and undefeated; a victor who is now without a clan, with no one to tell forth the heartbreaking and unfortunate chronicles of Miyamoto Musashi and boast about the performances of their beloved leader in dynamic fashion, no one apart from the lone soul who sits at a town's square with low-craft instruments, gathering but a few lost souls without story of their own. The lost legend of Miyamoto Musashi is rarely spoken of anymore, for who else but him had survived that grisly day in history, who else lived on but him to tell his tale? Again his brief moment of arrogance had but been sparse, and such contemptuousness no longer would be the driving force to move Musashi forward. Once again he disappeared into the wilderness in order to seek justice and forgiveness for the consequences that he had now reaped, consequences once sown on that one accursed, but fated day in his old dojo.

「ED」

14. 山本精一 -  童謡(わざうた)
The final credits roll over the screen. Perhaps Musashi is slowly walking off toward the distance in an otherwise still and depleted landscape having undergone the terror of the Demon King's reign, perhaps we do not see him at all anymore, for he has nothing left. His legend slowly fades into nothingness while his clan's sign eventually vanishes and wears from their banner, hastily buried underneath the ground in all but one man's final resting place. Pleasant and painful memories collide in an ultimate little psychedelic lag, and perchance if we seek hard enough in the Japanese soil, we may find the remains of a revolt lead by a man whose resolve was perhaps even tougher than his blade.

—————————————————————————

This one time I decided against rating each and every track separately, as they just form such a conclusive work that I cannot help but rate the entirety of this with a full score. Rarely have I even in actual anime experienced such an imaginative construction that fits so perfectly well with its thought-up storyline and vision, and I can therefore only commend you all to ask about this download from CAT. So much thought has been put into this and I tell you, if you are ever in the right time or place, just write this, draw this, or animate this, I don't really care. Just do something with it!

My partner was@suji and she gave me quite the OST:

56619be5x96d4083630f3&690&690

from Maison de M (メゾン・ド・エム)

by 越智多たいじ (Taiji Ochita)

Concept: stone wall
[bara anime]

My ideal anime concept would be a male/male love story, but it wouldn't be your typical romanticized boys' love/yaoi anime. In this day and age, we have yet to see a bara (mens' love) anime. As I'm more of a slice of life/realistic gal, I would love to see an adaptation of a bara manga from names like Gengoroh Tagame, Takeshi Matsu, Tsukasa Matsuzaki, etc. I feel that bara/mens' love would be the correct representation for gay culture in Japanese media rather than yaoi/shonen-ai which is actually fanservice mainly created for straight women by straight women.

While creating this OST, I was intent on making this your generic anime OST. However, while picking out songs here and there, it took a more angsty direction, which was the right one for me. As romanticized as yaoi is compared to real gay culture, bara is different. It focuses more on the experiences of actual gay men, the real-life stigma around them, and their ability to conquer those barriers. Along with that comes real relationships, which don’t always go smoothly the whole way, nor have a happy ending. The love between two men is not always pretty, nor does it always have a happy ending. Love is all about discovery, experimentation, triumph, and eventually, heartbreak… And that’s part of reality, which anime doesn’t do a whole lot of, especially when it comes to portraying gay couples.

My Review starts here:

I admit, I wasn’t too enthused to be reviewing this mix, not because of the subject type but mainly because I just "I get it" and that is hard to put into words unless you want essay. I am not sure how everybody else feels after reading a well written slice-of-life manga but to me, I end with a feeling of "I get it" and I usually learn of a new perspective that I haven't really thought about or was never brought into my attention. This mix does that sort-of thing. The final tone of the mix is pretty much the title pic, lots of flowing emotions but with a strong build up to it. So it is a little harder to write about the mix more than usual. Actually my review will probably not be very good anyway simply because I am more of an outsider to the subject matter. I am not at all familiar with bara mangas, I didn’t know it even existed. I am familiar with slice-of-life mangas however and that is the only the thing I can tie the mix into, that and “Moonlight” since it is the latest movie with this type of subject matter that I have watched. Oddly enough the title pic resembles the final scene of the movie, it did gave me a bit of a déjà vu.

Review:

Spoiler

borderless – PAIN

I quite dig this song. It has a sort of electronic-rock beat but what I really like the most is the strong but subdued sounding vocals. Pretty great singer IMO. It is a fantastic opening theme song, it even has that keyboard break that seems to be so popular with anime. I don’t know anything about this band and the name is not helping at all when I want to know more.

10/10

Dir En Grey – Cage

*sidenote* ya’ll gotta quit putting Dir En Grey in ya’ll mixes, damn near every song of theirs is dope and I don’t wanna keep re-hashing how dope of a song they have.

This song is dope … strong emotions flow … vocals are impactful … talent gods.

I could imagine this song be about the main realizing he is different from his peers and does sort-of fit the social angst vibe.

10/10

tiaraway – From silent sky

Not sure about how this song fits, it has a strong euro-beat vibe with focused-subdued vocals, a little like dream-pop.

My best guess is it is about the long deep thoughts about who the main thinks he should/shouldn’t be. Due to the beats and close resemblance Euro-Beat, I could imagine this being a scene where the character goes for a long drive and tries to find himself. (If you have ever had a long-ass drive 4 hours or more straight then you would understand, it is theraputic)

10/10

Bless This Mess – old【new】order

I quite dig this song also, it has a perfectly toned twangy guitars that creates a dreamy atmosphere and with controlled rhythms of the vocals, the lyrics just shines. It reminds me a lot of XOVER, which reminds me of Juka.

From the tone of the hook, a scene could be about hope, after meeting someone that gets him.

10/10

borderless – 悲しきノイズ

This song is a little odd, the beats are what you would get from an RnB record but the vocals are sung like they were from acoustic song. Not really digging this one. The vocals here are very subdued.

This sounds a like a midway point theme song. I can’t picture a scene for it.

5/10

メリー – ブルージー・ナイト

Classic rock song that sends a lot of good vibes but the vocals stay mellow.

My best guess for this scene is either self acceptance of who he is an learn to have fun with it. Or that the main has found someone that has finally made him happy to be himself.

7/10

Yuko Minaguchi – a dieu

The tone of the mix complete shifts here. This a ballad with very soft female vocals and minimal instrumentals with keyboards driving the main sound. The vocals are a little too dry for my tastes so I am not feeling any emotions that should hit from that part of the song. The instrumentals though invokes a waterfall bawl.

My guess for the scene is a heartbreak episode, a “it wasn’t meant to be” moment.

7/10

Moran – SNOWING

This is such a sad rock song.

This would have to be a continuation of the previous scene. If it were to be what I thought it was, then this is a perfect follow-up song.

10/10

BM山 – とけない氷

This is very short song. It is very simple, just some softly played guitars with backing beats and vocals.

From the tone of this song, this song is probably the title pic. It is acceptance that he is different and this chapter in his life does not end in a happy ending. This is a great closing song

10/10

borderless – Loser

This plays very similar to the opening theme song but not as good. This one has a lot of twinkle in it (I think it is a Triangle), the pace is also too fast(with artificial sounding beats) especially with the way the vocals are as previously describe. The worse part is the speed up of the beats and vocals ¾ through.

Sadly, I don’t really like this song. The previous track would’ve ended the mix perfectly.

2/10

If it were not for one or two songs, this would have to be one of the best mixes I have ever heard. It is structured logically and really sets up the heartbreaking climax. Link is here:

https://mega.nz/#!Y4J10S6R!oWKZbuZBRI3e8xT9bqctVYu1Fv0AU1Zmh9JWNpyocFo

I encourage people to give it a listen. It is quite good.

I could probably imagine an anime of this type if it doesn’t already exist. I know there are plenty of movies that are like this. If it is anything like “Moonlight” but with a Japanese setting, then yeah I would be down to see it.