-NOVA-

DIMLIM Concept Full Album CHE DO A RA

First listen thoughts:

This was very different from what I was expecting, since I was guessing it would be heavy af from start to finish. Surprisingly the moments where they opt for a more progressive/atmospheric sound ("Hito to Katachi", "D. Hymnus", etc.) are much better than the ones where they go heavy. I was pleasantly surprised to hear a bit of pop sensibility that works well even when interspersed with the heavy elements (like on "Grotesque" for example). I was a bit disappointed by the heavy stuff since it didn't sound nowhere as interesting as the pre-released songs (I think "Mad [K]" might be my favorite track on the heavier side). I'm a tad disappointed but overall it's a pretty solid album and I think its short lenght was actually a good thing because nothing really overstays its welcome and the result doesn't really make you tired. I think it can have potential to grow on me with more listens.

Funny how they pulled out a reverse Dir en Grey and released the best songs as singles BTW.

Vanitas and the track w/ the sombrero PV are the best songs on the album in my opinion. GROTESQUE, D. Hymnus and the final track are great too, the other stuff isn't doing very much for me yet after a first listen, but those 5 alone would be enough for EP of the year if they'd been bundled as one package.

Always unfortunate when a band decides to waste a track on a rather mediocre S.E. though, leave that stuff for live shows

So after a few listens, this clearly isn’t some sort of VK savior, but it is a super solid album. For such a young band it’s a surprisingly good grasp on modern metal, which other veteran acts seem to struggle with. 

I like the way it sounds. It’s polished, but there’s still just enough of a raw and organic grit left behind to not make it sound sterile. There are moments where they do that stop-start glitch thing that makes it sound like I’m listening to a corrupted file, but it isn’t overdone. Hiroshi’s drums sound really powerful, which fixes the major issue I had with Issei era Dimlim songs: his drums sounded fake as hell. 

Sho is impressive, but seeing as how this is his first band I fear his voice isn’t trained enough to be so acrobatic. He could be the odd duck and is balancing technique and performance, I just hope he doesn’t shred his throat in a few short years. 

The singles are the strongest tracks on here, but that doesn’t mean the others are weak (other than the lame SEs). Things get chaotic, but there’s more purpose behind it since the change in composers; things generally don’t feel all over the place. The aggressive parts can be a bit samey across multiple tracks – Mad (K) and the beginning of Shigarami for example – but so far it isn’t bothering me. 

So, yeah. Solid album. I hyped myself up quite a bit over the last two months and that’s nobody’s fault but my own. Still, I’m happy with what I got. 

「人」と「形」is my favorite song on the album...I don't think that surprises me since it almost sounds like a new Sukekiyo song, and even reminds me of old Muse in some spots.

But the soft operatic voice he does at the end is really beautiful I hope he'll do more of and less of DEG pterodactyl screeching.

Also liked GROTESQUE, and Mad [K]...no intrusive thoughts are getting through listening to that song lol. 2:58~end of Mad [K] I love the sound of a lot too.

Only deleted one track, pretty sure it was Vanitas.

I didn't get as hyped beforehand cause I thought it'd just be more DEG sound which I've gotten bored of,  I kinda hope he'll ease more into his own style of screaming and screeching cause I definitely like his growls.

I think a lot of people were expecting way to much from this album. I think its fantastic. For a first album it is awesome. I don’t remember a band release such a good first album. These guys are so talented, in the future they’ll deliver even better 

Edited by Ozileras10

No complaints about this album, just the absolutely pointless SE tracks that contributes nothing for the mood of the album,is just a pause.i do like SE tracks,and they are meant to create some kind of atmosphere while gives a break between completely different tracks. KISOU and DIM by DeG and Gazette for example...the SE tracks there are pretty cool and used wisely. So that was the only negative thing on CHEDOARA. 

I give 8/10

Edited by Manji 卍

17 hours ago, kuyashii said:

First listen thoughts:

This was very different from what I was expecting, since I was guessing it would be heavy af from start to finish. Surprisingly the moments where they opt for a more progressive/atmospheric sound ("Hito to Katachi", "D. Hymnus", etc.) are much better than the ones where they go heavy. 

I very much agree with this. Grotesque is my favourite on the album because it's kind of like Sukekiyo had a beautiful love child with DEG. The heavy stuff is pretty meh in my opinion but not like the garbage they used to come out with. 

6 hours ago, Wakarimashita said:

I really really like Malformation TBH, I was looking forward to the heavy bangers and this track fully satisfies me. Now back to the rest of the album... 😂

For some reason it really reminds me of the newer Saosin material. 

9 minutes ago, Saishu said:

Are this typical Japanese readings for those kanji?

Normally the reading is き ど あい らく(ki do ai raku), I think might be a self make readings by sho to imitate his idol kyo😂(which loves to use atypical reading of words and coined word)

5 hours ago, deadman said:

It means 喜(Che, pleasure)怒(do, anger)哀(a, griefs)楽(ra, joy) in Japanese which describes four basic human emotions.

So I guess that sums up the concept for the album.

The less aggressive-heavy songs are really nice, especially with a competent drummer. Hiroshi even does really well in the aggressive songs, too.

Malformation is probably my favourite song from the album, though I really enjoy 愛憎につき as well. I kinda wish they hadn't released it for preview though, I would have liked to experienced that song in the album first. I think 3 songs for preview was too many, considering there's only 10 actual songs. 2 previews would have been fine; vanitas, and then シガラミ got me plenty hyped for the album.

The SE tracks... The first one was fine, I guess. It gets a pass since a lot of albums have a filler SE track to start things off, but I didn't appreciate the second SE at all. I felt like it completely ruined the flow.

7 hours ago, deadman said:

It means 喜(Che, pleasure)怒(do, anger)哀(a, griefs)楽(ra, joy) in Japanese which describes four basic human emotions.

Reminds me of the concept for Art of Life.

8 hours ago, deadman said:

oh my god thanks for unpacking on it, the previous google translate oracle work that was done here was absolutely nuts t b h .

this really makes a concise and understandable album concept.

I can barely tell the SEs apart, I don't think the second one adds anything to the album (maybe they put it because they have to change instruments between Aijou no Tsuki and Ambitiosus Principles live or something?). I'm pretty disappointed they didn't use this one they used for this video with Sho going all Vitas, it sounded so cool!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wCVTXLR4HFo