Sign in to follow this  
Jigsaw9

cali≠gari new self-cover mini albums "3" and "4" release

Continuing their tradition of rearranging and rerecording their old tracks, cali≠gari will release their new self-cover mini album "3" in spring. They will commemorate the release with a double gig at Shinjuku LOFT on 2018/03/14 (first concert starts at 18.00, second one at 20.30).

Unfortunately I could not find the actual release date of the mini album itself, only something about a general sale starting at 02/24 (but I suspect that's for the live tickets).

3 tracklist

01. 破れた電報 (Yabureta denpou)
02. 新宿ヱレキテル (Shinjuku Elekiter)
03. コバルト (Cobalt)
04. 君と僕 (Kimi to boku)
05. 空も笑ってる (Sora mo waratteru)
06. 腐った魚 (Kusatta sakana)

Here's the complete blurb from their site.

The band will also release another self-cover mini album titled "4" with jazz-style rearrangements of some of their previous songs. Both "3" and "4" should be simultaneously available in stores from 2018/04/25.

4 tracklist (tentative and not in order)

・ 誘蛾灯 (Yuugatou)
・ さよなら、スターダスト (Sayonara, Stardust)
・ 君が咲く山 (Kimi ga saku yama)
・ 月光ドライブ (Gekkou Drive)
・ わずらい (Wazurai)

More info on "4" here.

DlcX6w7.jpg

Edited by Jigsaw9

I'm not sure whether I should be optimistic about this or frightened. That 1st  self-cover album out of this series was absolutely awful and unnecessary imo, but 2 was actually legit good. I guess I have to wait for the tracklist to see whether or not I should be afraid lol

I'm kind of lowkey hoping they will remake some of the more obscure / neglected Shuuji 1 tracks like Karasu or something like that, but I know that's a pretty unlikely scenario lol

(also hoping this isn't just gonna turn out to be a compilation of those re-recorded songs they released as live dist. singles....)

Edited by Tokage

5 hours ago, Tokage said:

I'm not sure whether I should be optimistic about this or frightened. That 1st  self-cover album out of this series was absolutely awful and unnecessary imo, but 2 was actually legit good. I guess I have to wait for the tracklist to see whether or not I should be afraid lol

I'm kind of lowkey hoping they will remake some of the more obscure / neglected Shuuji 1 tracks like Karasu or something like that, but I know that's a pretty unlikely scenario lol

(also hoping this isn't just gonna turn out to be a compilation of those re-recorded songs they released as live dist. singles....)

My thoughts exactly. 1 was so gross, the only listenable song for my was Siren. I LOVED 2 though, lots of memorable tracks there.

I'm deciding to be cautiously optimistic about this 8 )

List of songs on the mini album (this is not the final order) which will first be available for sale at the band's gig on March 14:

・コバルト (Cobalt)
・腐った魚 (Kusatta sakana)
・君と僕 (Kimi to boku)
・破れた電報 (Yabureta denpou)
・新宿ヱレキテル (Shinjuku Elekiter)

Incidentally, all of these are primarily sung by guitarist Ao (at least in their original versions). Nice~

Edited by Jigsaw9

I wasn’t really fond of Cobalt, but I love 破れた電報. I would have liked 空も笑ってる to appear on this list, in the interest of songs sang by Ao.

Finalized tracklist:

01: 破れた電報 (Yabureta denpou)
02: 新宿ヱレキテル (Shinjuku Elekiter)
03: コバルト (Cobalt)
04: 君と僕 (Kimi to boku)
05: 空も笑ってる (Sora mo waratteru) @Seimeisen !!  :D
06: 腐った魚 (Kusatta sakana)

Also there seems to be another cover too... something about some collaboration with some eyewear brand or something. Sorry, my Japanese isn't good so here is the description from the OHP:

3/14(水)@新宿ロフトでの発売記念ライヴより販売開始!

☆浅草渡邉眼鏡商店 × cali≠gari 限定コラボ商品☆
品番:MSNA-113
価格:ライヴ会場販売価格 2,500円
※渡邉盤の一般発売、および良心盤発売については現在調整中です。

・スリーブ付き特殊オリジナルパッケージ仕様
・渡邉眼鏡商店 × cali≠gari 「職人眼鏡拭き」封入

The mentioned very stylish cover:

sdb7xIP.jpg

Edited by Jigsaw9

The band just announced another self-cover mini album titled "4"!! If I understood it right, both "3" and "4" will be released in stores on the same date, 2018/04/25. The theme of the newer mini album is "jazz-style rearrangements".

Tentative list of songs (not the final order):

・ 誘蛾灯 (Yuugatou)
・ 月光ドライブ (Gekkou Drive)
・ わずらい (Wazurai)

Edited by Jigsaw9

I hope that by ''jazz-style rearrangements'' they don't just mean ''typical vk 'jazzy' song", but considering it's cali gari, i'm assuming that won't be the case.. also lmao this is like the 2nd time Yuugatou and Kimi ga Saku Yama are getting re-recorded at this point

On 3/21/2018 at 9:07 PM, Jigsaw9 said:

The band just announced another self-cover mini album titled "4"!! If I understood it right, both "3" and "4" will be released in stores on the same date, 2018/04/25. The theme of the newer mini album is "jazz-style rearrangements".

Tentative list of songs (not the final order):

・ 誘蛾灯 (Yuugatou)
・ 月光ドライブ (Gekkou Drive)
・ わずらい (Wazurai)

Huh. I thought '電気睡蓮' should be one of the songs, since they played a rearranged version of it during the concert I attended last Dec. I hope this signals that there are more releases up their sleeves.

On 3/21/2018 at 3:50 PM, Tokage said:

I hope that by ''jazz-style rearrangements'' they don't just mean ''typical vk 'jazzy' song", but considering it's cali gari, i'm assuming that won't be the case.. also lmao this is like the 2nd time Yuugatou and Kimi ga Saku Yama are getting re-recorded at this point

I hope you're right. God, I hate jazzy VK so much O:

Can't think of a jazzy cali≠gari tune off the top of my head, really.

Based off the samples for '3' on Amazon, the tracks that were originally sung by Ao are now sung by Shuuji.

I don't hate the preview for new コバルト. Definitely considering getting a copy of backwards-3, not sure how I feel about backwards-4 tho... samples here

Oh no, everything is sung by Shuuji on 3, r.i.p.... :-( 

Not really fond of these kitschy jazzy arrangements of the other mini either, judging by the samples. But at least they went all-out with the sound, haha.

Wonder when they'll make that sax player an honorary extra member, a good number of their songs recently seem to feature sax in the background... Also, I had trouble recognizing Cobalt at first based on the sample

I love that they always are trying new things, even if it is with their old songs. BUT! What on earth have they done?! Almost all of them sound terrible! Kimi ga saku yama just makes me want to cry 

Sign in to follow this