Sign in to follow this  
Himeaimichu

Early 2000's "transition-kei"

11 minutes ago, AimiGen7 said:

Yeah, I've heard that really old OshareKei was "heavier" compared to the modern stuff. I'm not a huge OshareKei fan though so I'm not entirely sure on the whole thing, but I've heard a lot old Oshare songs that do blur the lines. The only one I can think of off the top of my head though (and it's probably a bad example, but idk) is Touhi Kairo from An Cafe. 

There was one Oshare band I know of that even went into Rap Metal. Parfait. But they weren't any good, but Maximum the Hormone thought they were good enough to have them parody 90's Visualkei in the Zetsubou Billy PV.

The lines are even blurrier when you start putting stuff like the so called white kei in the mix. My opinion is that Later Raphael and Shazna are the founding fathers of the more classic Oshare. The infusion of jazz-y, the craziness that almost EVERY band on 2002~2005 tried to replicate came with baroque. 'Anakuro Film' and 'M to Tsumiki Asobi' can be heard everywhere, it's actually kinda silly.

But yeah, that further justifies the point that somehow those bands could be described as so many things, it's hard to properly categorize.

2 hours ago, Mamo said:

@chemicalpictures Link some yt videos as reference for us to hear. For the ones you think are "transition kei".

youtube is blocked at work, sorry

but from the ones I mentioned earlier, look up Elldorado's 'EGOISM' and 'AULA', Aioria's 'Kirameyuku Shunkan' and Dué le Quartz 'BEST ALBUM', all great stuff

EDIT: these threads are great to revisit stuff you haven't listened in a long while... ELDORADO's Chain Gang is such a masterpiece, good lord

Edited by chemicalpictures

I think DEG has inspired every single niche and movement in vk check this out "1999's Zan" very early "transition kei"

10 minutes ago, saishuu said:

yeah, they've even inspired Kuroyume

sarcasm wow. I didn't now that sound was that old were there other bands doing that sound in 1994? Or earlier?

GAUZE-era Dir en grey is the epithome of the 90s. They basically copied EVERY SINGLE 90s trend, mixed everything up and put it in a beautiful, beautiful package. It's kinda inspiring, actually.

The transition phase (also known as the ICE AGE, in Japan) however, was very influenced by Dir en grey's later work, such as 鬼葬 and six Ugly. MACABRE is the "transition" to the transition, so to speak. It still has elements from the late 90s, but tried breaking new ground for them with various degrees of success. Sonically and visually. I'd like to expand on that later :tw_grin:.

Edited by r...

Anyway this Punk Nu metalish rock sound of this time is really brilliant I'm surprised bands with this sort of sound still don't exist today. "Visage" , "パニックちゃんねる",  "LuLu", and  "Cuartet" are among some of the best vk bands I've ever heard. "螺旋錠 (La;Cen-zhow.)" are also very underrated.

Edited by Mamo

Hmm... If I well recall LuLu started activities by late 2000's, in 2008; not early 2000's and I still remember I immediately liked them as soon as I found them that year. It feels like it was yestarday but it will be 10 years this year.

On 1/18/2018 at 10:37 PM, returnal said:

カリメロ too, mayhaps?

I'd definitely say so. 

Sign in to follow this