Sign in to follow this  
Himeaimichu

Early 2000's "transition-kei"

Since I'm really stanning these kinds of bands right now, I thought I'd make a topic for what I like to call "transition-kei". Basically, a made up term for those bands in the early 2000's that were in between old school and modern. 

Personally, my favourite at the moment is Cuartet. They were like The GazettE (which Saki is part of a proto-band of) and Gill'e Cadith, but much heavier. They also had more Nu-Metal influences. The combining of the old school Thrash Metal influences with Nu Metal in a way, sometimes resulted in groove metal-like songs, often reminding me of American bands like Machinehead (though IDK whether they have actual Machinehead influence). Saki wasn't the best vocalist, but he knew how to work with what little he had, and didn't try anything outside of his ability for the most part (unlike some of the vocalists from that era...)

Spoiler

Another favourite of mine is Gill'e Cadith. I briefly introduced them to @suji, @CAT5 and @plastic_rainbow on New Years Eve on Plug.dj, and I've been meaning to go more in depth here on the forum to give more insight (even though there are much more qualified people to do so. Rarezhut's YT channel has a really good video on them). In short, Gill'e Cadith was this really quirky band formed in 2000, out of the ashes of the already popular (in the indie scene) Cradle. They had really odd sounding music, and was sort of a split from the post-punk influenced music that defined the 90's. The vocalist, Karuna, was realtively new to the scene at the time, but fans of Deshabillz and Canary saw some familiar faces, as their bassist also played in Canary, and was in Deshabillz and one of their ex guitarists was also in Canary. 

They were also somewhat influential, as their quirky style caught on with other bands pretty early, such as The GazettE and Cuartet, especially Karuna's signature glasses-look. (though I'm not sure if he started it). Basically, they were one of these once really popular, but now forgotten bands.

Karuna to this day is still active, as one of the vocalists for the band 君は鋭く, and was also the first vocalist for the super-group Number Mouse, for the really short era where they were Vkei. 

However, for more in depth, I do recommend you check out Rarezhut's video, and Shattered Tranquility's article on them.

Anyways, anyone else got some good transition bands they want to share?

Edited by AimiGen7

41 minutes ago, AimiGen7 said:

Not to be confused with the other bassist for Deshabillz, who went onto Vice Risk and La'Miss Fairy, and sadly passed away

Are you talking about Yuuze? He was never in Deshabillz.

1 hour ago, suji said:

Are you talking about Yuuze? He was never in Deshabillz.

Yes, you're right. My honest mistake lol. 

Deshabillz and Canary are so closely linked, I often keep making that mistake

@AimiGen7Does 螺旋錠 (La;Cen-zhow.)  count or are they too new to be part of that movement?

Edited by Mamo

3 hours ago, Mamo said:

@AimiGen7Does 螺旋錠 (La;Cen-zhow.)  count or are they too new to be part of that movement?

I say they definitely count! Even if they were late to the party, they definitely have that sound. 

13 minutes ago, Mamo said:

I like this sound a lot what are some other bands like this? I don't really know any do you have any recommendations? @AimiGen7

I'd recommend both bands I mentioned earlier, as well as Kagerou, Etcetera, MADARA (ex band of Mahiro from Kiryu. Early Kiryu also has some good transition-Kei stuff), most of Yuuga's bands (Kar'Maria, Devil Kitty), and Panic Channel are pretty good examples.

I'm planning to binge listen Panic Channel. Thank you @AimiGen7 I want to check out as many bands of this sort as I can. Let me know if you discover more and I'll do the same. I'm about to start digging deep into 2000-2009 bands so I can try to find more.

21 minutes ago, Mamo said:

I'm planning to binge listen Panic Channel. Thank you @AimiGen7 I want to check out as many bands of this sort as I can. Let me know if you discover more and I'll do the same. I'm about to start digging deep into 2000-2009 bands so I can try to find more.

Ok! Oh, also, I'd have to recommend 2002-2005 GazettE, and visage (the latter's vocalist is now in Verxina)

28 minutes ago, AimiGen7 said:

visage (the latter's vocalist is now in Verxina)

Where can I find their music?

Aioria, early ayabie, early baroque, Kazoku, Dué le quartz, Elldorado, Fatima, indie Janne da Arc all somewhat fit in those description, all worth checkin out.

Actually those early 2000 bands are probably the most acclaimed ones around these parts, we could go on and on and on, but people like @r...and @saishuumay have more to say/suggest on this

I mean no disrespect to the OP, but why are you using Cuartet of all bands as a reference for anything in the scene? They were never relevant in any way whatsoever.

9 minutes ago, saishuu said:

I mean no disrespect to the OP, but why are you using Cuartet of all bands as a reference for anything in the scene? They were never relevant in any way whatsoever.

I just mentioned them because I really like them. It doesn't matter how relevant they were tbh. This thread is just a discussion for those kinds of bands that were in the transition from old school VisualKei to Modern VisualKei, and Cuartet was one of those bands, even if their influence is very little. 

30 minutes ago, nullmoon said:

If we're talking bands like early Ayabie then early Lolita23q, early An Cafe, and Aicle probably fit the bill too, right? :)

I think early An Cafe and aicle are more linked to oshare, buy you may be right, things were definitely blurry enough.

Lolita23q's Suiren no Heya and ayabie's Saishuu Hentai Page/Gothic Party definitely shows a clearer picture, imo

8 minutes ago, chemicalpictures said:

I think early An Cafe and aicle are more linked to oshare, buy you may be right, things were definitely blurry enough.

Lolita23q's Suiren no Heya and ayabie's Saishuu Hentai Page/Gothic Party definitely shows a clearer picture, imo

Yeah, I've heard that really old OshareKei was "heavier" compared to the modern stuff. I'm not a huge OshareKei fan though so I'm not entirely sure on the whole thing, but I've heard a lot old Oshare songs that do blur the lines. The only one I can think of off the top of my head though (and it's probably a bad example, but idk) is Touhi Kairo from An Cafe. 

There was one Oshare band I know of that even went into Rap Metal. Parfait. But they weren't any good, but Maximum the Hormone thought they were good enough to have them parody 90's Visualkei in the Zetsubou Billy PV.

I've been binge listening too "Visage" and  "パニックちゃんねる"  all day and now I'm trying out "Cuartet", I can't believe I've never listened to any of these bands before.

Edited by Mamo

Sign in to follow this