saishuu

X JAPAN playing Coachella 2018

I want to forget this live ever happened.

This was painful to watch, this was extremely sad

lots of sound/guitar issues at each song

holograms ? more like holowaste, I saw taiji for like 20 seconds, didn't notice hide at all, I don't even see the point of holograms anyway, just leave them in peace

audience was not receptive at all, except for the first 2 rows who were just japanese people all around (god knows how much they paid to assist the show, you people are cazy)

This is what happens when you "perform" at a place you're not supposed to be AT ALL

13 minutes ago, Danao said:

This is what happens when you "perform" at a place you're not supposed to be AT ALL

p sure it's all gonna be one big tax write-off for the org & support musician fees for the legendary drumming chanteuse/vertebrae implant survivor

I hope they resolve the guitar issues for next weekend. I too noticed the rows of Japanese fans with a couple of western stragglers who seemed to know all of the words in the first few rows.

At least the audience response didn’t seem to be outright bad, but it was a bit painful to watch Toshi keep on trying to get people to sing louder. They were competing with Beyoncé and Highly Suspect for viewers. So if Yoshiki’s goal was to reach celebrities and the general faux-hipster masses, he failed.

I wouldn’t be surprised if X-Japan’s livestream numbers were considerably higher than for other bands, despite the late set time. This should be a lesson for him to aim themselves better for next year

About 95% of the pictures in that article are of Yoshiki. alone... yikes

Also, laughing @ the fact Yoshi still dares to call Coachella 'edgy' anno 2018 as if it isn't pretty much the most mainstream, neutered music festival of the world at this point

3 hours ago, Tokage said:

Also, laughing @ the fact Yoshi still dares to call Coachella 'edgy' anno 2018 as if it isn't pretty much the most mainstream, neutered music festival of the world at this point

Oh dear xD Since when was Beyonce edgy? 

X JAPAN
Coachella 41/69/2050
Set List

1. Miracle (piano ver.)
2. Jade (piano ver.)
3. Rusty Nail (piano ver.)
4. Kiss The Sky (piano ver.)
5. I.V. (piano ver.)
6. Kurenai (piano ver.)
7. Endless Rain (piano ver.)
8. Born To Be Free (piano ver.)
9. X (piano ver.)
10. Tears (piano ver.)

I know I'm beating a dead horse, here

Edited by 123Sandman321

2 hours ago, Lestat said:

Well, it’s somewhat of a popular principle to hate X Japan on here, regardless of what they do.

Pretty sure it's mainly because we can all agree with the fact that Yoshiki is an egotistical dickwad who only cares about playing celebrity instead of actually doing his job.

9 hours ago, TheZigzagoon said:

Oh dear xD Since when was Beyonce edgy? 

Did you see her show? 

2 hours of unashamed pride. A full size brass marching band, skits during song breaks and an all black female orchestra. Beyoncé is pushing the boundary of musicality politically, sociologically, in every fucking aspect. Show some damn respect. 

http://www.blabbermouth.net/news/marilyn-manson-to-join-x-japan-on-stage-at-coachella/

Marilyn Manson will make a special guest appearance at Coachella this coming weekend. The shock-rocker will join Japanese superstars X JAPAN during their second set of the festival.

"I am happy to join my great friend @yoshikiofficial and X Japan at Coachella on Saturday the 21st for a special performance," Manson wrote on Instagram.

Manson later took to his official Twitter account to say that he was actually once banned from Coachella, although he didn't provide any details as to how or why that happened.

X JAPAN made its Coachella debut last weekend, playing a set that featured guest spots from Wes Borland of LIMP BIZKIT, Richard Fortus of GUNS N' ROSES and Miya of MUCC, along with holograms of X JAPAN's deceased members, bassist Taiji (who died in 2011) and guitarist Hide (who passed away in 1998).

X JAPAN is the most successful rock group in Japanese history. Led by composer, drummer, and pianist Yoshiki, the band has sold more than 30 million albums, singles, and videos combined, sold out Japan's 55,000-seat Tokyo Dome 18 times. X JAPAN has also headlined major international stages such as London's Wembley Arena and New York City's Madison Square Garden.

Nowaydays dont know who is a bigger joke...Manson or Yoshiki...

So finally Miya actually played with them in Coachella? most of the places dont mention him...maybe they thought it was a roadie :grin:

5 hours ago, herpes said:

Did you see her show? 

2 hours of unashamed pride. A full size brass marching band, skits during song breaks and an all black female orchestra. Beyoncé is pushing the boundary of musicality politically, sociologically, in every fucking aspect. Show some damn respect. 

I didn't watch her show, but I respect what she does, and it's great what she does. I just wouldn't say edgy is the right term as I've always used "edgy" with a hint of sarcasm, maybe that's where this confusion is coming from. She is perhaps one of the most influential activists on racial matters in the modern music industry, I'm not going disrespect her one bit.

Yeah, Beyoncé isn’t “edgy”. She’s had to work harder than most pop stars, and she’s had a lot of important racial and gender commentary in recent years. But by definition, I have a hard time considering anything in the realm of Top 40 to be “edgy”.

1 hour ago, TrentReznor said:

Nowaydays dont know who is a bigger joke...Manson or Yoshiki...

Without a doubt it is Yoshiki, man. C'mon. Manson never do shit that Yoshiki did. You'll never see Manson milking Twiggy in a hologram or actually made a festival to commemorate him or anything, matter of fact he can straight out fired her after known he was doing those sex assault against Jack Of Jill member, or delaying an album for eternity.

2 minutes ago, GreatNorthernVK said:

Yeah, Beyoncé isn’t “edgy”. She’s had to work harder than most pop stars, and she’s had a lot of important racial and gender commentary in recent years. But by definition, I have a hard time considering anything in the realm of Top 40 to be “edgy”.

That's BS elitist metal fan talk right there. Just because someone is in Top 40, that doesn't strip them away of anything that is "edgy" or fundamental. She just did it different way, she don't have to act like a tool in music videos and live shows that lots of metal band members does to be heard, but the goal is the same. Everyone have their own gimmicks.

Edited by LIDL

5 hours ago, LIDL said:

Without a doubt it is Yoshiki, man. C'mon. Manson never do shit that Yoshiki did. You'll never see Manson milking Twiggy in a hologram or actually made a festival to commemorate him or anything, matter of fact he can straight out fired her after known he was doing those sex assault against Jack Of Jill member, or delaying an album for eternity.

Definitely he did the right thing there, but in terms of trying hard to be a celebrity...adding the weird colaborations (avril lavigne), being drunk or extremely bad on stage, etc. put hims pretty much on the same joke level in my opinion (and im not a manson hater...they used to be one of my favourites bands)

10 hours ago, LIDL said:

That's BS elitist metal fan talk right there. Just because someone is in Top 40, that doesn't strip them away of anything that is "edgy" or fundamental. She just did it different way, she don't have to act like a tool in music videos and live shows that lots of metal band members does to be heard, but the goal is the same. Everyone have their own gimmicks.

Mmm, not really a metal head. Nor do I think that edginess is an all-important factor in choosing what music to listen to, but i’ll bite.

All artists utilize marketing concepts, even unconsciously. No surprise there. Even if it’s just a small label having one person talk to bands and see what their deal is. Even if it’s a starter-level artist promoting themselves. 

Major labels have considerable research/development/PR resources at their disposal. For artists that are frequently in the Top 40 (or who the label is promoting to be in the Top 40), the way that they get there is for the label to package them in a way that appeals to the broadest possible demographic.

Regardless of how much clout an individual artist gains throughout the years, there is always someone in the background saying “Mmm, I don’t know, have to run this by PR to make sure we don’t alienate demographic X too much”. 

Now, they can get that “sweet spot” where they can package something as “edgy” without too much backlash from the general public. The artist is happy, the label is happy, and their listeners are happy. But the continuous reiteration of the artist’s work that has to be “okayed” by higher ups runs directly opposed to the spirit of edginess.

For major labels, the marketing question is “How does this fit in the framework of what we know can sell?”

For independent artists and small labels, this isn’t the case. The strategy of making an artist as broadly appealing as possible doesn’t work because they lack the resources that the major labels have to make this a reality. They understand that their target market is much smaller (that is, if they aren’t delusional)

So, the strategy is to identify the specific target market, and go after them aggressively through differentiation.

The marketing question is “How is this artist *different* from the hundreds of artists vying for exposure?” It basically forces innovation, and thus the “edginess” factor.

Now again, edginess is not the be-all end-all of musical criteria. Listen to what sounds good, not much more to it. For different people, that means different things.

man I keep dreaming of a day Toshi will ditch Yoshiki and get a new band.

I mean look at him: 

He looks happy and with a lot more energy.