Sign in to follow this  
jaymee

TicketCamp Ending Service

TicketCamp announced earlier this month that it was momentarily suspending its service, but in its latest update today, it says the service will close permanently on May 31, 2018.

Until their suspension, TicketCamp was by far the most popular service for buying or reselling tickets, especially for VK and other music concerts.

The decision seems to be a result of its recent legal troubles, assumably in light of its recent inaction toward cracking down on ticket scalping.

I’ve personally been a TicketCamp user for a few years now and until now often bought/sold tickets on it. When first I signed up the rules clearly stated that the site was for personal resell/purchase only, and I felt like (at least for the bands I was reselling/buying for at the time), they were doing a adequate job of weeding out scalpers and other suspicious sellers. But with each passing year, it seemed like they were getting lazier and less was being done about it, to the point that most of the tickets I bought through their app this year arrived from ticket reselling companies (scalpers) in Tokyo. And as you can see in the tweet above, it was really getting out of hand.

So I guess while not surprising news, until a new outlet (or old outlet like Yahoo!Auctions, etc.) (re)surfaces, it might be harder to resell or purchase tickets, especially for people overseas. In the meantime, if you are looking for tickets to a show and can’t buy thru Lawson, Pia, or eplus, try Twitter, MerCari (Japanese ver.), or Yahoo!Auctions.

I’d link the actual news announcement but I can only see it in app on my phone atm. I did a quick search and didn’t see anything about it, but apologies in advance if there is already a thread for it.

Edited by jaymee

RIP Ticketcamp. Super unfortunate, I mean I saw this coming when they shut down sales but. :( I understand why it happened, but for the bands I follow, most sales that weren’t Ticketcamp went through Twitter and that was just a mess. 

Agreed. I appreciated TicketCamp’s buyer protection and their easy to use templates for people not used to buying/selling tix. Twitter is harder because other users may not sell to you if you’re not in their FFs or a regular enough fan. Or if you’re like me and basically use Twitter to trade/buy/sell, it’s easy to miss a good opportunity not being on it 24/7.

Like I dunno I hate scalping and all, but scalpers are like cockroaches and they always find another platform to take advantage of other people on, so imho in the grand scheme of things shutting the site down does very little to address the actual problem.

Sign in to follow this