Chi

SHINee’s Jonghyun Has Passed Away

shinee-jonghyun.jpg

Police have confirmed that SHINee’s Jonghyun has passed away, and are currently investigating the singer’s death.

According to the police and fire department, Jonghyun was found unconscious in a residence on December 18 at approximately 6:45 p.m. KST. Emergency responders performed CPR and the singer was immediately rushed to the hospital, but in the end, Jonghyun was unable to be revived and was pronounced dead.

The police arrived at the scene at a report of disappearance filed by Jonghyun’s older sister, who reportedly received a final text from Jonghyun that led her to believe he would be attempting suicide. In the text, he said, “It has been really hard. Let me go. Tell me I did well. This is my last goodbye.”

At the residence, which, according to a source, was not Jonghyun’s own home but a place he had reserved for two nights, police found what appears to be burned coal, leading them to believe the death was by suicide. However, police are still investigating the matter and have not confirmed the cause of death.

https://www.soompi.com/2017/12/18/breaking-shinees-jonghyun-passed-away-police-confirm/

I don't even have words to express my sadness right now. Rest in peace.

EDIT:

No statement by his company or the hospital have been released yet.

It is possible the hospital is still doing their best to save him.

EDIT 2: His company has confirmed his passing.

Edited by Chi

this song is a lot harder to listen to now.

shinee was very important in my years growing up as they were one of the first kpop groups i was able to follow since their very start. their songs brought me a lot of happiness back then. jonghyun was an extremely talented and inspiring person. he fought for lgbt rights, against misogyny and discussed topics like mental illnesses without treating them like taboos. you'll be missed.

Edited by Chi

SHINee was the boyband with the best music by far and Jonghyun was one of the most talented vocalists to come out of this idol scene. Plus he seemed like a genuinely great guy. I'm truly heartbroken by this. :(

I woke up when the news broke and I'm just so sad. 

I got into Korean music and dramas at an odd time, around the time that Choi Jin-sil died and there was a surge in copycat suicides. Ever since, I've been invested in learning more about mental health in South Korea. And things still haven't changed much since then. :( I hope more is done. I really worry how the public will react to his death, especially young fans.

Edited by jiji94

most heartbreaking news i've read all year, i'm really upset from this because i used to follow shinee for a bit when i was (a lot) younger and i really loved jonghyun for how outspoken and real he was. he was an odditity among idols in that he really stood on his own and for that he was so special to me, beyond some dispensable idol.

this is a bummer, especially because how sad the circumstances are around his actual death. wonder how japanese press is reporting this

Edited by emmny

2 hours ago, chemicalpictures said:

Another life very likely lost to depression. And yet society in general still don't give two fucks to mental health...

RIP.

An excerpt from an interview he did in April makes this situation much sadder.

Jonghyun: A few years ago, I was crying and whining at my mom and sister while I was really drunk. I asked my mom and my sister.. it wasn’t long after we’d moved. I asked them if they were happy. I got drunk and woke up my entire sleeping family, like some ahjussi(old man). It had been my number one goal in life, you know, to make my mom and sister happy. They both woke up and told me they were happy. But I was so envious at the fact that they were able to reply that they were, indeed, happy. Because it wasn’t like that for me. I told them while sobbing: "I want to be happy too." Then I felt like I’d done my mom and sister wrong. But from then on, I started contemplating about happiness. For about six months, I pondered specifically over what I would need to do in order to become happy. I think that time of transformation has come. I think I need to become happy, now. I must become happy. I am going to be happy.

I feel really bad about this. I am one of those people who "Left kpop for VK/Jrock" even tho I still listened to Jonghyun's solo stuff for comfort when when I was "anti kpop" or whatever people would call it all because most of my playlist was VK/Jrock. I still adored Jonghyun and still followed him even when I unfollowed and stopped paying so much attention to the other kpop artist I was really into. And now,,,, I am just so torn about all of it. Jonghyun to me, resembles a bond I have with one of my friends I met online through our shared interest in kpop I met her I think 3 years ago. But she got me into SHINee and I immediately fell in love with Jonghyun's voice and got so excited when I found out about his solo project and such. I was such a huge Jonghyun fanboy lol. But the fact that now part of that bond I have with my closest friend is missing, it really hurts. And I am so sad that now someone who has provided comfort through just their voice is gone now,,,, this isn't the first idol of mine who passed, but it is so hard to deal with and such. 

I'm so speechless about his death I'm not really huge fan of SHINee or of him but he writed and composed somes songs for anothers idols or solo singers who I like, when I readed some facts about him or his interview I have sadness and pity for him.

I hope 'll be wrong about that but I think anothers idols will follow his path coz many idols or idols actors/actress suffers in silence from mental illness or depression and theirs agencys really don't care about theirs struggles

It also makes me so sad, it snowed on the 18th in Seoul and everyone was so surprised and taking photos (according to my insta feed). 

I've literally been surfing twitter for the whole day between other things and what made my heart break the most were the fans who were so strong and believed in him this whole time, waiting outside of the hospital and others cheering up people on social media with warm words. I know kpop has had its downs for a while, but really the music and the beautiful friendships I made by liking some groups are what's keeping me to love kpop.

And they were the first kpop group I saw in Japan.

I really hope things will change in the music industry.

For the short time I've been interested in kpop and busy exploring it, SHINee was probably among the very few that I used to enjoy. I'm really shocked and saddeed by his death... RIP.

This is still fucking me up bad. I've been into K-Pop almost as long as I've been into the visual scene and I still haven't been able to swallow this down. 

I saw the news first thing when I woke up this morning, it's early evening for me now and it still hasn't really sunk in. He always seemed like the kind of person who was able to conquer whatever mountain he decided to climb. It's so sad to see he was hurting for so long. I hope he's at peace now, I'm gonna miss him.

Edited by doombox

A will he gave a close friend (nine from dear cloud), which was given permission from jonghyun and his family to be shared online.

Alternative translations can be found here

Jonghyun giving advice on how to comfort someone with depression (check thread)

Edited by Chi

aaaaand that's enough for me.

"I wanted it to be for my sake" in particular hits home so fucking hard. Poor guy must've been going through hell within. I sincerely hope he's found rest somehow.

Edited by saishuu