platy

Monochrome Heaven's "Secret Santa" Trade-Off!

21 minutes ago, ghost said:

But wait!

Who did "peace of mind"?

updated the list 

12 minutes ago, JukaForever said:

I don't think mine was reviewed. Oh well

Indeed, the review for yours is still pending -_-

15 hours ago, indigo said:

Btw. how come Plastic Tree's ツメタイヒカリ (Tsumetai Hikari) was at least on 3 different mixes?!!

The real question is why wasn't it in everyone's mix? B)

To @Hohchicano96:

I'm super glad that you picked my mix. Based on the little intro for your review, you are quite familiar with all of the different movements that get branded with the emo moniker, and based on your actual track reviews, you seemed to really enjoy the music and ride the wave of feelings with a number of thoughtful reminiscences. It's a simple thing, but I'm just really happy of that, that this style of mix went to someone who really appreciated it. Alsooooo, the fact that you already knew The Little Explorer beforehand means we kind of have to be friends now. ^^

To @Original Saku

Gotcha! Thx again for your mix, delicate and beautiful

@reminiscing2004 I'm really curious how you were able to deduce it was me lol. I guess I have some sort of tell in my mixes. I'm really happy you enjoyed it so much. I sorta ran out of time and definitely would of liked to work on it a bit more. there's a reason why that ohashi trio track feels so out of place with the rest of the mix... i just simply ran out of time.

@yuugure Wow it's hard to believe you're so new to the community, I mean your mix feels like the work of a seasoned mixtape maker xD Seriously this is only your second tradeoff (right?). just absolutely breathtaking, our tastes is definitely compatible.

Edited by Original Saku

On 10/01/2018 at 3:39 PM, yuugure said:

"The Ghost of Winter's Past" Review

I chose this playlist because I was looking for something thematic and the title really caught my attention. I'll start off by saying that overall this was a superb mix with a great selection of tracks, all of which combine to deliver what it says on the tin. I know I'm reading into things way too much in my review, but this is the vibe I got from the mix.

Overview

Reveal hidden contents

Track-By-Track

Reveal hidden contents

@yuugureLove your review, and the backstory you imagined for it. I have A LOT to say in response:

I had a feeling the listener would be puzzled by my choice to open with "A Premonition," then "virgin snow colour" and to end with an instrumental version of the MERRY song. "A Premonition" was chosen as a sort of 'cold open' to the story, "virgin snow colour" acted as the opening title sequence, and the instrumental version of "冬のカスタネット" was the 'ending credits.' Another thing about the tracklist, I WAS SO TORN between 'ending' with "PLEDGE" or "空中ブランコ!" I think the flow between "淋しさと眠れ" to "PLEDGE" to "冬のカスタネット" would have been nice, but I wanted "空中ブランコ" at least near the end.

... yeah, umbrella is a band that's ... not for everyone, sorry about their vocalist violating your ears. I think any other song I'd use instead would have been too heavy. I left out most of the metal Christmas vibes.

"トゥナイトゥナイ ヤヤヤ" always gave me this whimsical christmasy vibe, like the beginning of a Christmas Adventure on a TV show (*cough* South Park *cough*) or the anticipation of opening hundreds of presents under the tree. Maybe it's just because it's a really atmospheric song on an album that has a toy on the cover. I just looked up the lyrics and they are not whimsical, they're basically about waking up to a nightmare. But hey that's cali≠gari for ya! XD

I haven't tracked down the lyrics to "Panta rhei" but it always gave me this image: it's a calm, wintry night in front of the fireplace, the narrator, and his significant other, a moment of peace has been achieved. Then the key changes for the chorus and your brought back into reality; you wouldn't say 'nothing is okay,' but some things are not right... like the fact that this significant other is actually not significant (breakup? unrequited crush?). I guess that works with the message you got from the song.

For girugamesh, listen to CORE BEST, 13's reborn, Reason of crying, and the following songs: "壊れていく世界," "period," and "斬鉄拳;" forget about the rest!

@JukaForeverThanks for reviewing my mix. I'm glad you enjoyed it and found some aspects of it refreshing. Now for a long response:

I'm surprised you got hip-hop vibes! I named the mix that because it's apparently the coldest temperature recorded on Earth's surface. I didn't research it that hard though so don't quote me on that.

I can understand your irritation with the format, but combining all songs into one track is something I feel strongly about as it's supposed to be listened to in one sitting. I've been doing all my mixes like this lately as it gives me a chance to have some creative and challenging fun.

Torikago no Maria sounds that way because there only exists a cassette tape rip and it's from the band's humble indie days. I've always wanted to use this track for a tradeoff and this one seemed like the right one.

2 hours ago, ghost said:

@JukaForeverThanks for reviewing my mix. I'm glad you enjoyed it and found some aspects of it refreshing. Now for a long response:

I'm surprised you got hip-hop vibes! I named the mix that because it's apparently the coldest temperature recorded on Earth's surface. I didn't research it that hard though so don't quote me on that.

I can understand your irritation with the format, but combining all songs into one track is something I feel strongly about as it's supposed to be listened to in one sitting. I've been doing all my mixes like this lately as it gives me a chance to have some creative and challenging fun.

Torikago no Maria sounds that way because there only exists a cassette tape rip and it's from the band's humble indie days. I've always wanted to use this track for a tradeoff and this one seemed like the right one.

Oh I understand the format, I would do it myself if I really wanted to do a proper mixtape. It is just not reviewer friendly that is all. I would recommend you add a cue file. That should be able break up the file into its start times when it is added to a music player

I was surprised it was yours haha

@Seimeisenthanks for the review, I really enjoyed reading it! I thought it was actually kinda cool that what felt super wintry to me didn't seem the same way to you. Could be that we grew up in very different climates. :P

On 2018/1/13 at 7:13 PM, Seimeisen said:

This mixtape has proven that I need to check out: 夢中夢, SUGIZO’s ONENESS-M

About 夢中夢 - YES!!

ONENESS -M is also pretty good, but I feel like 光の涯 outshines (pun???) most of the other tracks. Still worth a listen in my opinion. Have you had the chance to listen to it? :)

@Original Saku Thanks so much for the kind words. I'm super happy you enjoyed the mix. I really enjoyed your review and what you pulled from the mix and theme. It was so detailed and fun to read. I was pretty apprehensive about this mix since it didn't contain many V-kei songs, but I felt the songs worked so well with the theme I was going for so I just went with it. I'm really glad you received it so well. I was definitely conscious when it came to making the structure, but I didn't know if it would be picked up on or not. But you definitely extracted more than I had intended for the structure in your review!

As for the Phantasmagoria track, that one's more of a personal thing. There's various emotions it stirs in me, one of which is an intense nostalgic feeling I get when I think back to walking back home from my first Japanese classes during winter and it was cold and rainy. I don't remember if I had heard this track back then or not, but it reminds me of that. There's something about the guitar that just fills me with a kind of longing and sadness. So it really is more of a personal one :hum:

Boku no Lyric is just amazing, isn't he? Every track has such a nice flow and rhythm. His rapping is so damn catchy. Had you heard c.cedille before? It was a two-member band made by a really old American YouTuber called Emily Connor (her channel is applemilk1988) and a Japanese guy. She doesn't post anymore and most of her videos have been deleted since this whole scandal thing she went through, but she used to make videos on Japan and learning Japanese. She ended up doing some pretty crazy shit and a lot of people started hating her. But despite all that, every single one of her music projects are just amazing. Her music is pretty hard to get hold of. c.cedille disbanded years ago but their only album, en lecture, is an absolute masterpiece.

@SeimeisenI'm glad you liked the review, and thanks for the response! A Premonition definitely serves the "cold opening" vibe you were going for. virgin snow color works well as a title sequence. It gives me a feeling of ambivalence: on one hand, it has that cheerful Christmas-y air of hope and wonder to it, but on the other hand it's not a fully "happy" sounding song; there's a hint of something embedded in there that tells me this won't be a joy-filled journey. It has a kind of false-sense of security thing about it. That's what I feel anyway. In terms of tracklisting, I think ending with the MERRY song was the right choice. It perfectly serves that purpose of ending credits.

The opening of トゥナイトゥナイ ヤヤヤ reminds me of the song As The World Falls Down from the film Labyrinth with David Bowie in it for some reason, which feels kind of Christmas-y. Except トゥナイトゥナイ ヤヤヤ doesn't continue with that mellow sound, it bursts into a foot-stomping riot. It was a fun song.

Spoiler

I also want to go and re-watch Bigger, Longer & Uncut now after seeing you mention South Park. Going to listen to the soundtrack again right now!

There's a rough translation of Panta rhei here. As with a lot of Japanese songs the lyrics are pretty vague...

I'll definitely give the girugamesh albums and tracks a listen, thanks for the recommendations.

Ok, I'm super late, I know I suck.

I don't really have an excuse other than I've been writting over 4000 words per day at work and don't want to write or think anymore when I get home.

I was expecting a very melodic tape when I picked it and I was not disappointed. I had to go through it several times.

Spoiler

Chandelier – Calmando Qual 4/5

Being a band I had never listened to but always meant to, I was happy to start with this track, which I really enjoyed, being the sort of melodic rock sound I like and the vocals and baseline are just impossible not to get into. I will definitely look for more, and the track got me excited for the rest of the mix.

胎動 – LuLu 3/5

I had always heard of this band in memes related to gorey stuff so this was most certainly not what I had expected. I liked it, it went well with the mood set by the first song and had a nice pace that didn’t bore me nor particularly caught my attention, though the voice felt off key and a bit hard to get into. The guitar solo was pretty good and the song overall reminded me of the early 2000’s sound.

愛わな美 - FLiP 5/5

This was so good I completely forgot the previous track. The chorus was so pop-like catchy and yet the guitar and drums were a great reminder this probably isn’t just pop. The bass had me moving in my seat the whole time and the track felt really energetic, which was a very nice change. Sadly, it felt too short. I’m definitely keeping this and will look for more.

プレイボーイ- PartII - Scandal 4/5

Finally, something familiar, and while at first the song made me wonder why I don’t listen to these girls as often, the high-pitched singing halfway through the song reminded me why. But the vocals didn’t keep this song from having a great rhythm that fitted the previous track perfectly and the contrast of backing and lead vocals, switching between verses, was indeed interesting, even if the pitch itself was not my taste. Sometimes I forget how talented these girls are, yet they reminded me nicely.

夜が眠るまで - Mutant Monster 3/5

As a contrast to the last almost-party-like tracks, this one was slower, yet the bass of this track was very entertaining to hear. I didn’t know this band either, so having new nice female voices to listen to was not only interesting but motivating. Up to this point the tape didn’t fail to meet the standard of a mainly melodic mix, switching from different rythms.

Unnamed Track – Dear L’Novel 3/5

This one didn’t have a name, but it was still very enjoyable. It sounded like some classic 90´s VK and it was a refreshing change of sound. I really liked the keyboard and it gave me some Lareine vibes, with better vocals. it was catchy enough to keep around and sounded better than I had expected, though it felt a bit long at some point.

Inheritance – Versailles 4/5

Only song I knew in the whole mix, which makes me wonder under which rock I’ve been hiding. It fitted very well with the last track, and it was also nice to hear something a bit heavier. Versailles are always enjoyable, as usual the guitars are flawless and Yuki’s work on the drums is captivating. I enjoyed this track way more than I did on the mini album, probably because of the familiar feeling it had now.

XGATE ~for haling future~ - Xover 5/5

Following the last track, this song kept the heavier feel, yet less symphonic. I love Juka’s voice, so having this track in the mix was a big plus. The only downside is his voice outshines any other elements for me so it was hard to pay attention to the instrumentals, but the drums did catch my attention. Sadly, it was so good it felt too short and it was hard to move on to the next track.

ノスタルジア。- absentmindedness 3/5

A strong contrast to the last minutes of the mix, the soft rock-pop beginning of the song served as a reminder of the overall feel the mix was going for, and as the song gained momentum so did my interest in it. The vocals were really nice and so was the guitar. Though the sound reminded me too much of the FLiP and Scandal songs and felt a bit repetitive. It was still a very nice song.

途遥-New Recording- - yazzmad 2/5

I had to go over this track a few times, sadly, because I felt it was going into an ear and out of the other and nothing stayed. I guess it’s a pretty forgettable song. Not bad, musically speaking, at all, the instrumentals were decent, but the pace to slow to catch my attention and not slow enough to be considered a nice ballad. The vocals didn’t help with the dull feeling it had, yet it was melodic, so I can’t say it didn’t really fit the mix.

新月の水たまりより - Megamasso 5/5

This track was so refpreshing after the last one, and I felt it followed the tempo of the first ones, but the guitar and bass gave me some early L’Arc vibes and I loved it. This track was just too good not to keep in my iPod. The chorus was nice and catchy and it felt like the perfect way to end the mix in an energetic way.

Overall the tape was great, I enjoyed it very much and discovered a few artists I will definitely look into. It also gave me the chance to hear bands I never got around to, so thank you for that.

Even if, due to work, writing the review felt like a chore, listening to the tape was not and I’m keeping most of it on my iPod. Thanks a lot!

Eyy thanks for the write up.

I thought this was one my better mixes in terms of flow, so I am glad you were able to get something out of it.

The idea was that christmas songs tend to have a certain melody to nearly all of them. I wanted to create a mix that had a certain melody connected with all tracks different from the regular christmas songs but good for winter. But my dumbass forgot to add a description for this lol.