Mamo

gibkiy gibkiy gibkiy Already One of the Visual/Nagoya kei G.O.A.T. (Greatest of all Time)?

Even though "gibkiy gibkiy gibkiy" are a newer band I think it's already safe to say they're one of the greatest vk bands of all time. Even if they were to disband tomorrow my opinion wouldn't change. Because their exitisting work I think is already enough to make this judgement. And they're line-up is fucking legendary  kazuma (Merry Go Round), aie  (deadman, the god and death stars, the studs), kazu (蜉蝣, DIMMDIVISION., the god and death stars, STEREO.C.K),  sakura (L'Arc~en~Ciel ). Nagoya gods :tw_astonished:

I'd like to know what everyone else thinks. Are they even in the discussion after only 2 albums, 1 single, And 2 V.A appearances making for only a total of 24 songs? IMO I really do think so.

BTW listening to gibkiy×3 while I wrote this

Their discography (LIST WITH IMAGES ONLY NO DOWNLOAD): 

My honest rating (:tw_star::tw_star::tw_star::tw_star::tw_star:)

Spoiler

[2016.02.24] 不条理種劇 (Fujouri Shugeki) 

latest?cb=20160206150959

Track list:

1 劇中劇
2 嫋嫋たる対象
3 箍を外す場合、穴に群れる具合
4 Spoiled Me
5 管
6 形状において歪な、または不自然な
7 形の無い、何よりも、愛したのは、お前だけが
8 脳内に
9 蟻は血が重要である

[2016.03.15] [ 12cm split single] the dark side of the monochrome

dsm-001x21k.jpg

Track list:

03:掌る肉<gibkiy gibkiy gibkiy>

[2016.11.11] I LOVE YOU

zg_jdlsr1ko.jpg

Tracklist:

01:頭蓋、紛い
02:I LOVE YOU
03:grotesqueに、明らか

[2017.08.09] In incontinence

cover.png

Track list:

1. 無中無

2. 血と宙の完結

3. 愛という、変態

4. とある澄んだ春の朝に

5. 告白

6. だらりと垂れる

7. 頭蓋、紛い

8. straitjacket

9. suspend

10. 淫乱分子

[2017.11.22] TRIBUTE OF MUCC - 縁 [en] -

VoWa2ag.jpg

Tracks:

6. 溺れる魚 / gibkiy gibkiy gibkiy

Edited by Mamo

The problem I have with gibkiyx3 is that their lineup is TOO GOOD. I like all their releases but I can't lie and say I don't wish they would create sounds similar to their respective bands. 

55 minutes ago, evenor said:

The problem I have with gibkiyx3 is that their lineup is TOO GOOD. I like all their releases but I can't lie and say I don't wish they would create sounds similar to their respective bands. 

Really because I love their Nagoya kei sound. I guess I love the Nagoya sound in general because all of their  ex. bands are some of my favorites as well.

Aie is def. the real, true & undisputed nagoya kei KING. No contest whatsoever.

(also remember when people thought Nagoya Kei = heavy & brutal back in the days? fuck that era)

what about their stuff as highfashionparalyze? (it's the same fucking band idc what vkdb tells you ok) this project got much better when they balanced improv/compositions further towards compositions imo

the nagoya kei true fan initiation is going to see gibkiy live and having kazuma blast all the microscopic hairs out of your ear canal by blowing a whistle at full force into the mic

51 minutes ago, Ito said:

I wouldn't put them in them as the GOAT of the Nagoya Kei genre, I think that has to go to Deadman, but I do really enjoy Gibkiy. If anything, that award should just be given to aie.

I wasn't calling them "the" GOAT but but rather just one of the GOAT.

And I agree no doubt aie's king

Edited by Mamo

Yeah it's cool that a bunch of 40+ year old men can release music that sounds more inspired then 99% of what the new younger crowd can put out. Similar to how Swans 2010s output is better then pretty much all modern rock music despite the man behind it all being 60 years old. Gibkiy give me Swans vibes as well.

19 minutes ago, fieldsgrow said:

Yeah it's cool that a bunch of 40+ year old men can release music that sounds more inspired then 99% of what the new younger crowd can put out. Similar to how Swans 2010s output is better then pretty much all modern rock music despite the man behind it all being 60 years old. Gibkiy give me Swans vibes as well.

So accurate.

I think "とある澄んだ春の朝に" is literally one of the greatest nagoya kei songs ever. And honestly "In incontinence" is probably also one of the best nagoya albums ever.

I really want to like them but, honestly, I can't think of the vocals as something that's not just... bad. 

Maybe it's an style I just don't get. If so, I would love to read how others find them likeable. Because as they're now I find them absolutely unappealing.

1 hour ago, madygrain said:

I really want to like them but, honestly, I can't think of the vocals as something that's not just... bad. 

Maybe it's an style I just don't get. If so, I would love to read how others find them likeable. Because as they're now I find them absolutely unappealing.

Train yourself by listening to ikd-sj music then suddenly gibbiky’s sounds so good :tw_bawling:

5 hours ago, madygrain said:

practice by visiting random retirement homes in your area and listening to the inhabitants. 

I think the key point of ggg is their lives. There are no other japanese bands with such a  unique atmosphere. They started with improvisation in highfashionparalyze, having no distinct lyrics and performing just the way they feel on that day, and even though ggg now have fixed melodies and texts every new performance is still sooooo different. I think it's just the type of music you will get into bit by bit. You may feel weird in the beginning of the live if you see them for the first time, but in the end of performance all your feelings will be inside out. Maybe it's the  reason they are often the last to perform at few bands events, because after their show it's really hard to switch and listen to someone else. Unfortunately, they are not selling too well, but i am happy they are not going to stray from the path and are still full of motivation and ideas to try. Definitely the best active band for me. 

Edited by HotaruFilth

I think the key point of ggg is their lives. There are no other japanese bands with such a  unique atmosphere. They started with improvisation in highfashionparalyze, having no distinct lyrics and performing just the way hey feel on that day, and even though ggg now have fixed melodies and texts every new performance is still sooooo different. I think it's just the type of music you will get into bit by bit. You may feel weird in the beginning of the live if you see them for the first time, but in the end of performance all your feelings will be inside out. Maybe it's the  reason they are often the last to perform at few bands events, because after their show it's really hard to switch and listen to someone else. Unfortunately, they are not selling too well, but i am happy they are not going to stray from the path and are still full of motivation and ideas to try. Definitely the best active band for me. 

@HotaruFilth That's awesome to hear I've actually never heard a live recording from them or seen them live of course. I'd also like to add to your thought, look at how different they're take on MUCC's song 溺れる魚 is just for example.

Edited by Mamo

Surely members have many other projects and sometimes I see jp fans saying "oh, ggg is just a weird hobby band", but for Kazuma-san it's actually his life. He is so dedicated and excited about everything ggg, about new concepts and things he wants to try during the next recording or lives. He says the key point is to make people feel something and even if it's "wtf!" or "that's too scary!" then it's just enough. He, who is actually the sweetest person in the world, says "standing on the stage you gotta be a monster and make people shiver, otherwise it doesn't make sense, so I am not going to do something more appealing". And other members are so supportive to let him try whatever he wants. They are so unique and inspiring, I am really happy gibkiy gibkiy gibkiy happened to the Japanese music scene.