Kyo_Toriko

[HELP] Recommeded way to get musics in order...

Recently , I just started to try to make the musics in my laptop in order ,
but apparently I found they are in a mess xD"
So my problem is , could you show me what is your way to make your musics in order ,
or how do you do to house your musics in your computer or your laptop !
I will appreciate a lot ! :))

I know , and I use this application to edit the tags !
Which I want to ask is , how do you distinguish the albums and singles ?
I mean do you put them into Japanese or English ? Or differentiate them into their own artists ?
Like that , sorry for that I don't explain so clearly...

My music library is also a mess, but when I do find the motivation to organize everything, I just sort my music by making a folder for each artist, and put their music there. I also sort out the songs in any release I get them from to prevent further cluttering of the artist's folder, especially if they have a big discography.

I'm in the process of organising all my music too. I just make a folder for each artist and then a folder for each release. 

I divide my music between VK, OSTs and Other (kpop, experimental, etc.) 

9 hours ago, suji said:

My music library is also a mess, but when I do find the motivation to organize everything, I just sort my music by making a folder for each artist, and put their music there. I also sort out the songs in any release I get them from to prevent further cluttering of the artist's folder, especially if they have a big discography.

2 hours ago, platy said:

I'm in the process of organising all my music too. I just make a folder for each artist and then a folder for each release. 

I divide my music between VK, OSTs and Other (kpop, experimental, etc.) 

Thank both of you for answering me !
I am gonna try the way out in next few days ! Hope that I can sort them methodical ...
Honestly , when I saw and found them totally in a mess today... I just couldn't stop my sigh... xD"

here is my organizing method

for music principally, but sometimes I had the few scan or live I got in those

Visual/Artist/[yyyy.mm.dd] title (codec*)

*I don't write oftenly the codec, principally when I keep HQ and LQ

exemple :

1516468520-organize.png

V.A/omnibus/coupling goes into the same V.A folder

My music is sorted like this:

Spoiler

FYigBD8.jpg

In regards to tagging, since I'm kind of an order-whore, I try to keep everything as accurately as possible. I recently removed all genre-tags from my music, I try to keep everything in its intended capitalisation (Dir en grey vs DIR EN GREY vs Dir En Grey), the releases only have the original release name - and I puke when I see the tags on last.fm, shit like "DUM SPIRO SPERO (Deluxe Edition) [CD 2]".

For VA releases, I usually only keep the relevant track (Embryo Burning, for example, in DEG's case) and put it into the correct folder.

As you can see, I also put related artists into the main-band's folder (such as Kyo's poem book CDs), but I might change that, now that I noticed it^^

For terekos, I put them in a folder named after the date and location they were recorded, but the album tag is the name of the tour/event.

@MamoMasquerade demo-tape, the one with the white cover. Not sure if it's the correct name, though.

Edited by Seelentau

I've been working on making a backup of my music library to the cloud. (5-10 % done).

This way I can stream it online without worrying about hard drive crashing.

Here is how I organized my music library.

0lbqH69.png

Edited by nostalgia

The way i have mine is very similar to Seelentau's. I mainly have a question about tags myself. How do they work when transferring them to android because i correctly tag them but then when i put them on my phone the tags are all gone and album covers.

10 hours ago, Seelentau said:

Yes, I have the same problem with the android tags. For some reason, DEG's AMON isn't in DEG's list on my smartphone, for example.

Yea i hate It. But i did have a temporary fix for a time i use this app for my music and you can edit all this tags and customly put all the album arts in. There is a option you can use when clicking on the release called "Enter album art manually" If you use the kanji name of certain releases they will pop-up but it doesn't work for all of them. Some you might have to use gallery option for at the bottom and download one off the internet.

Only one problem with this i spent 2 hrs re-tagging everything and my sd card came out by accident when i was switching my battery. After that all the tags i had were lost but the album arts are still on there for some strange odd reason.  The small thumbnails got set to like a random release in my phone. If you use this app dont take your sd card out >...<

Edited by Axius

On 1/22/2018 at 8:03 AM, nostalgia said:

I've been working on making a backup of my music library to the cloud. (5-10 % done).

Which cloud storage do you use I've been thinking of doing the same?

On 1/22/2018 at 8:03 AM, nostalgia said:

Here is how I organized my music library.

This is a really good idea, I may have to try it. Especially since there is a lot of music I want to keep for posterity's sake but I don't listen to very often. 

I separate English and Japanese

I then have a folder for each artist

In each folder, I have the artists' releases and release dates (I don't differentiate between what is a single, mini-album, album, etc)

If I have to make changes to the tags, I do it in iTunes and just drag the new version into the folder and overwrite what was originally there.

5n9a8j.png

sen4zr.png

w72c06.png

wbqazb.png

13 hours ago, doombox said:

This is a really good idea, I may have to try it. Especially since there is a lot of music I want to keep for posterity's sake but I don't listen to very often. 

You can ask your college/uni if they have G Suite for Education tied to a student email, so you can have an unlimited Google Drive storage for a lifetime for free. Some may not last for a lifetime, it depends on the institution. It'd be great to have one because it doesn't have a monthly/yearly cost with an unlimited storage.

One con is the admin can access your files unlike your personal Google Drive account, but I don't care about it because I don't keep anything personal there.

Edited by nostalgia

9 hours ago, nostalgia said:

You can ask your college/uni if they have G Suite for Education tied to a student email, so you can have an unlimited Google Drive storage for a lifetime for free. Some may not last for a lifetime, it depends on the institution. It'd be great to have one because it doesn't have a monthly/yearly cost with an unlimited storage.

One con is the admin can access your files unlike your personal Google Drive account, but I don't care about it because I don't keep anything personal there.

And you can actually stream the files on Google drive? 

Mostly on my phone. There are a bunch of cloud storage streaming apps.

Still have no idea how to stream it gracefully on Windows/Linux though especially in lossless formats.

Kodi is one of the cross platform media players that can do it, but it's slow.

Edited by nostalgia