Zeus

#105: lynch. - BLOOD THIRSTY CREATURE

Featured Review Question: BLOOD THIRSTY CREATURE  

23 members have voted

1. 1. Are you still expecting new things from lynch.?

• BTC is way different from anything they've done before. Looking forward to this new direction.
    • New single, new album, new look. Doesn't matter I want it all!
    • Call me when they get their next album ready, I'll check it out then
    • Eh, sounds the same as always. Aight, but nothing new.
    • Nope they've been stuck in a rut since

WdWwVIy.png

347f9486037fdf45ae470abb29553252.jpg#347b29f145a27deebefcc5de0529d3c2200.jpg#b29

Tracklist:
01. BLOOD

02. CREATURE

03. the whirl

:_7/10_: | lynch. is as lynch. does

Either my standards have risen too high, or the floor has fallen out, but 2017 has been a symphony of bands failing to meet my expectations. No single or album has resonated with me, and I've been on the lookout for the next act ready to blow up the scene. That's why it's deliciously ironic that the one band I expect nothing new from delivered something that captures my attention, and they did it by doing what they always do.

The secret to liking lynch. is to expect nothing new. A band that's been together for thirteen years knows themselves musically, and forcing change just to change is how you end up with EXODUS. Much like their departed big brother DEATHGAZE, lynch. has a defined sound they shouldn't stray far from. They went to one extreme with pop on I BELIEVE IN ME, the other into metal with EXODUS, and yet they always come back a mix of pop and metalcore that's undeniably lynch.. BLOOD THIRSTY CREATURE is your standard lynch. single through and through, and I guarantee you already know how you feel about it before listening.

It goes without saying that I like the two new tracks "BLOOD" and "CREATURE", but I don't remember the melody from either. "BLOOD" is your two minute banger virtually indistinguishable from "BEAST", "MAD", or "ANIMA". There wasn't ever much depth in these sub-three minute tracks and "BLOOD" is no exception. "CREATURE" is the more interesting of the two new offerings, sounding like a more traditional lynch. song, and it hides its recycled parts better. I particularly enjoy the break down near the end, but I would be lying if I said that both of these tracks could have been on AVANTGARDE and no one would have noticed. The real attraction is the re-recording of "the whirl", which is low-key one of my favorite lynch. tracks due to the dynamics between soft and heavy. This contrast is not lost in the re-recording, and is perhaps even enhanced with the clean production and the grittier metal bits. I hate to say it's the best track here, because that takes away from the impact of the new material, but it is.

Don't get the wrong impression about "BLOOD" and "CREATURE" - both are fine singles and lynch. has produced far worse in the past - but that's it. A band that stays in the same musical realm for thirteen years is bound to repeat themselves eventually. The best thing about knowing what to expect is knowing what to expect, and the boys find some way to surprise me with every album. If we treat this single as a sample of what to come, the next lynch. album is shaping up to be slightly more memorable than the last.

I don't even remember which of the lynch. albums is the most recent one, but that's the price one pays for consistency.

Support the band!
iTunes

I really want to like Creature, but listening to it gave me 'wow, this is so polished and GOOD, I should be liking it!', but something never 100% clicks for me with them. I will, however, give their next album a go, just in case I miss something. :P

3 hours ago, Zeus said:

I don't even remember which of the lynch. albums is the most recent one, but that's the price one pays for consistency.

This is exactly how I've viewed lynch. for almost a decade now; it'll be solid but it will just blend in with the rest of their discography.

I'm sick, b'cuz luv u. is still an all-timer though!

I would rather have a band that delivers consistent work (That I know and have came to like) then flip flop all over the place, never really being good at anything. I think lynch. has progressed in a style that suits them best, and though most songs sound like derivatives of each other, they are still undeniably 'lynch.'

This single may not be nothing new, but it's a solid banger, and it's better than most of AVANTGARDE imho

omg new whirl is awf, hzk sounds so whiny and melodramatic tbh

creature is an unsraw rip-off and blood is typical uninspired lynch.

i will be stanning again when they deliver an album as fun and varied as the avoided sun, until then I'll probably sleep on their stale dead on arrival material z-z-z-z-z

#no to this entire single 

jWw6m_s-200x150.gif

They write good riffs and solid melodies but their songs practically all follow the same song structure. I want them to stray away from their tried and true formula and surprise us.

Write a couple headbangers with just screams and yelling. Try making more ambient tracks or use instruments other than electric guitar, bass, and drums. Clean up your horrendous mixing so that your music is listenable and doesn't sound like it's playing through a thin plastic pipe. 

The fruit of their safe song writing is carbon copies that leave a less impacting impression than the last. 

2017's "The Whirl" sounds absolutely fantastic.

Hazuki's emphasis on making sure this new version exceeds everyones expectations is not going unnoticed.

I imagine that lynch. are getting closer and closer to cracking this sound recipe they've been working with for a couple years now.

I always wonder what this "sweet spot" the guys are trying to achieve is.

If it will result in redefining what we know of lynch.'s music style thus far, then I'm all for it.

The possibility that lynch. can create a more memorable release than the album D.A.R.K (by doing all this) is something I need to hear before I die.

the whirl's re-record is crazy good. underneath the skin is probably my favorite lynch. release overall and while i mostly loved the melt rerec, i didn't really care for the alien rerec, so i wasn't sure what to expect. but i think they did a great job.

usually i prefer lynch.'s B sides over their A sides, especially since their A sides in particular are written in a specific kind of way for a specific kind of crowd motion/interaction (clapping/fist pumping > headbanging > chorus with sing-along part). but i prefer CREATURE over BLOOD, which hasn't really stuck with me at all. SINNERS-EP was a mild flop for me and this follow up is not my favorite single ever either. (still better than BALLAD tho)

also i didn't realize MH was so down on AVANTGARDE btw, it's second to D.A.R.K. for me but easily outdoes most of their previous albums lmao

SINNERS besides "Black Out Destroy" is next to I BELIEVE IN ME as far as underwhelming Lynch releases go. BLOOD THIRSTY CREATURE is a nice comeback from that.  Same as a few of the key tracks in AVANTGARDE (which i still enjoy), I can't tie CREATURE to previous Lynch. tracks, so its pretty fresh to me and its bangin.  I REALLY do wish that Lynch. would build on that and drop an album that consists of entirely new material cuz they have that potential.  But again that's like asking the GazettE to do the same, which prob isn't happening. I'll gladly take the lil effort though. I wont comment on BLOOD cuz its just another forgettable Lynch. song. 

I first heard of the Whirl on IMMORTALITY which ended up becoming one of my favorite performances. The rerecording is stellar and fuck, it has such a grit to it. Salute to Ryo. Dude is working some magic on production. 

I'm happy. 

11 hours ago, cvltic said:

SINNERS-EP was a mild flop for me and this follow up is not my favorite single ever either. (still better than BALLAD tho)

What is this SINNERS EP everyone is talking about? For real. I missed something, didn't I?

11 hours ago, cvltic said:

also i didn't realize MH was so down on AVANTGARDE btw

That's because like a bad bender after a night of xanax and bad decisions, I barely remember any of it. It's definitely lacking something but I'm not articulate enough to describe what.

I fully agree with your review, word by word. The re-recording of The Whirl is absolutely the best thing here. BLOOD and CREATURE are two tracks I'll keep around, but may end up skipping them if they come on the random rotation.  They can do so much better...

6 hours ago, Zeus said:

What is this SINNERS EP everyone is talking about? For real. I missed something, didn't I?

as flip as nekkichi's answer was it's also not wrong lmao (except #AKisinnocent). the EP had a number of interesting guest bassists (J, YUKKE, TSUYOSHI from PTP, Hitoki, and OUTRAGE's bassist) but they didn't do anything with them, and the title track was extremely zzz. polished but dull? i'm with Ro in saying BLACK OUT DESTROY is the only standout on the EP if you're considering checking it out but... you could also just skip it.

On 11/15/2017 at 11:44 AM, nekkichi said:

omg new whirl is awf, hzk sounds so whiny and melodramatic tbh

creature is an unsraw rip-off and blood is typical uninspired lynch.

i will be stanning again when they deliver an album as fun and varied as the avoided sun, until then I'll probably sleep on their stale dead on arrival material z-z-z-z-z

#no to this entire single 

jWw6m_s-200x150.gif

1 hunnid 👆

I literally got into Lynch. because of "Creature".  I'm so here for this song and that made me search for more songs from them and currently I'll  admit Sorrow won a weak spot in my heart. I'm all about that bass in that song unfghh Lynch. makes me sound so trash and I love it. They became my guilty pleasure in few days XD.

Edited by Triangle

Sinners was a pretty good release in my opinion .I love Kaleido, Sorrow and Black out Destroy from the EP. As for BTC, I really enjoyed Creature and the re-recording of the whirl, blood is a forgetable song tho