suji

克哉 (katsuya) (Misanthropist, ex-CodeRebirth) new band "SLOTHREAT" has formed

His last solo EP "misanthropy" is really fuckin' great !
Somehow I just love his works , I will keep an eye on this !
I really expect he can keep his band to perform as a metalcore or deathcore band which is same as what he did.
And hope his band can find a sick vocal  who can represent the disgusting sounds !
I hope it will be a promissing band !

I'm psyched to hear this news.  I loved Code Rebirth and his solo Misanthropist works.  If he brought on the vocal from Last Calix (who collaborated with Misanthropist) or a vocalist that can balance cleans and dirty vocals well, I think this will be a band worth noting.  I also saw on his insta in the past times he has hung out with Ryo (formerly Girugamesh) - but I doubt that will become a reality.  If it did, I am sure that Ryo's name recognition in the scene would elevate this band.

I hope to hear news from Katsuya soon.

CodeRebirth were severely underrated - their final album release is one of my favourite albums, period. I really hope Katsuya can find a strong vocalist to fit his djent-like compositions, but they need to have solid cleans too (imo too many djent bands are either purely instrumental or have only a screamer on vocals).

Whatever happened to that vocalist from aim (pre-GALEYD)? If he returned to the music scene I think he would be a good fit.

18 hours ago, TheStoic said:

I'm psyched to hear this news.  I loved Code Rebirth and his solo Misanthropist works.  If he brought on the vocal from Last Calix (who collaborated with Misanthropist) or a vocalist that can balance cleans and dirty vocals well, I think this will be a band worth noting.  I also saw on his insta in the past times he has hung out with Ryo (formerly Girugamesh) - but I doubt that will become a reality.  If it did, I am sure that Ryo's name recognition in the scene would elevate this band.

I hope to hear news from Katsuya soon.

Personally I'm way more fond of that LCR dude style if we are talking about a solo vocalist, I think it fits much better. But yeah, their duo on Solace is AMAZING. Someone that can balance that is ideal, I agree. Syu (ex. Heartless, boogieman) would be a good fit, love that dude

In February, Katsuya wrote a long-ass exposition, and among his thoughts were what Misanthropist meant to him and his feelings about being invited onto the stage out of the blue.

Spoiler

この日は僕にとっても本当に大切な1日で。
Misanthropistでライブをする事なんて微塵も考えてなかった。
でもこの日にそれを実現させる。本当に最初で最後かも知れない。
緊張や不安等といったマイナスな感情は無いと言ったら嘘になるけど、それ以上に楽しみだしなんか色々プラスの感情が勝ってます。

まだ喋らせて下さい。すみません。
約四年間、己の理想のバンドが形になるまでステージを避けて生きて来た。その信念という名の縛りが時として自分を苦しめる事はあったが。
その年月の中で、Misanthropistという己の理想の極地にある音楽を発信する"手段"を見出し手に入れた。

ライブへの渇望、それは確実にあったが単純にシビレを切らしたからこのタイミングでライブをするという事ではない。
俺はMisanthropistという名を背負ってリリースした楽曲達を心の底から愛しているし、それらのお陰で誰に何を言われようがされようがこの先絶対に自我がブレる事は無いと言い切れる。

その大事な大事なプロジェクトにこの上ない共感を示してくれて出演を誘ってくれた主催側。
その相手の気持ちと、此方の気持ちとタイミング、全てが一致したからこの日はMisanthropistはライブをやらせて頂きます。

脳内は言うまでもなく、見に来てくれた人達が形として残せるような物も出せるようにも動いてます。

まぁ色々書いたけど、結局はライブで全てぶつけ伝えます。

心から、お待ちしてます。

連投ごめんね。
見て下さった方々、ありがとうございました。

In summary,

That day was going to be a very important one for Katsuya. He never imagined that he would ever stand on stage as "Misanthropist" - it might very well be the first and last time ever for Misanthropist to do so.

For the past four years, he had vowed not to take the stage again, until his band had taken its ideal form. But he also needed to satiate his desire to create music, and Misanthropist gradually became the medium where he was able to communicate his ideal music.

Even though he was fighting back the urge to play on stage, the reason for taking the stage now wasn't because he was unable to resist anymore - he really felt he was ready this time. He really loved the songs he created as Misanthropist from the bottom of his heart, and was ready to perform them live.

Since the organizers had shown interest in Katsuya's treasured project, their feelings aligned. And through good timing, Misanthropist was added to "The New Reality Festival 2018" roster.

That show was held on March 4, and this post is now pinned, replacing his recruitment post.

Photos and videos from the show:

Spoiler

I'm not sure if this means that he's now content with the music he's made and will focus solely on audio production/sound engineering, but if he's still writing songs, half the guys he performed with that night are available. They should get together permanently. With Яyo as well.

Edited by helcchi

On 10/29/2017 at 10:54 AM, chemicalpictures said:

Syu (ex. Heartless, boogieman) would be a good fit, love that dude

I second this so much !! ;PP

I really hope a band materializes with him on guitar as a permanent project to release new music.  He nails the djent sound, and I want to hear more.

I went to the live where they announced this. (yesterday)

They also showed a teaser of a pv on a screen.

Definitely promising.

And Katsuya is definitely very skilled on stage too.

He just didn't say a word to the crowd while he hasn't been on stage for so long. (plus he was the host of this event... hosts usually do some kind of talk)

SLOTHREAT members:

Vo. KAZ (ex.LAST CALIX, Misanthropist)

Gt. 克哉 (Katsuya) (ex.CodeRebirth, Misanthropist)

Gt. 孝哉 (ex.Sailing Before the Wind)

Ba. 瀬希

Sup Dr. Julien (Graupel)

They will hold their first live on 5.11 at TSUTAYA O-Crest. Their first mini-album "Allium" will be released digitally on 4.27 and the live-limited physical version will also be sold on 5.11

143320190317195246.jpg

https://twitter.com/slothreat/status/1107235298927206400

http://www.slothreat-official.com/

Edited by helcchi

Kinda sad cause the song is quite generic. It is good, but nothing outstanding.

I guess i was mistaken to hold my expectations so high. Maybe because Katsuya claimed that he didn't want to be in a band until it had all the perfect members and perfect musical form.

I would call this anything but generic (and I listen to a metric fuckton of -core music). Each instrument in each part of the song is expertly layered in the mix and they complement each other perfectly. No repetitive drumming patterns, outstanding guitarwork with some nice tones, a little bit of ambiance here and there, with a competent vocalist on top of it all. The only thing missing is just a little bit more grit in the vocals, maybe some screams, but it's still an amazing song anyway. I'm really excited to hear more.

this is much less experimental than the recent misanthropist's releases, but I don't find it generic either. There's a lot to take in composition-wise. Not very fond of the vocals aswell, but I'll wait for a harsher song before making my mind

I would’ve preferred hisatsune from Lumber Coated Rust as lead singer as he did the harsh vocals for Misanthropist - I agree KAZ’s voice is a bit too saccharine. But with 2 7-string guitars and a 6-string bass, they better make this work.

Hopefully they will invite some guest vocalists since Katsuya has been fashioning the dual/triple vocalist format for a while now.

This is actually REALLY up my alley, wew. Normally i'd want the vocals to be more abrasive with a song like this, but I like the contrast in this case. My only gripe is that the low-end sounds a bit too bassy/muddled. 

this kinda has the same energy as Dimlim's vanitas to me

21 hours ago, Tokage said:

this kinda has the same energy as Dimlim's vanitas to me

Katsuya recorded, mixed and mastered everything for DIMLIM after Issei left

Edited by helcchi